Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The four stages of E/N posting.
Yay, I loved this thread! A contribution:

I can't figure out if the main status update is asking his friends on FB to date him, or asking them to help him find someone to date. Also, this dude likes to post pity-me statuses about how bitches ignore him because he doesn't have a car or any money, alternated with statuses about how he's going to forget about dating and he might even be asexual.

He is my favorite person on my Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

The guy in the comments is her self-appointed best friend.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

Ringo Star Get posted:

In the second part of the episode, Ramsay actually hands the waitress her tip and tells her to keep it for herself. I bet the moment he left the scumbag owner Sammy went up to her and demanded she gives him her tip. I can't imagine willingly working at that place for more than a week if the owners said "we take all your tips because I said so". It's so goddamn illegal.

People who are young, naive, and/or desperate will put up with some really awful poo poo from employers. When I was 17, I got a second summer job at a pizzeria. I was on my own, broke in New York with no family support and had very little life experience. When the owner told me that new employees didn't get paid for the first week as "probation" I bought it, even though it pissed me off. After I finally got a paycheck, money was deducted from it if a customer sent back their order, I had to pay $100 for "uniforms" (a black apron), and I didn't get paid for hours worked before opening and after closing. I put up with it partially because I genuinely didn't know any better but mostly because I was scared of losing that job and having to find a new one with my complete lack of options and I desperately needed the extra money. Every time I think about it now I cringe.

I was seriously shaking with rage when I watched that episode. Those poor employees.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

I think it's super cool that it's still totally fine to be completely, openly racist towards Asians with little to no backlash. That's just the coolest thing ever and I think it's really great that we're in this state right now.

:shepicide:

Last year I had someone on my feed post an image macro of a little Asian baby holding a puppy and chewing on it, as babies do because they're teething. It was captioned something like "No little Asian! Cook the dog first!" A black guy and an Asian guy on her friends list pointed out that it was racist, but she argued that there was no way she was racist for posting it because if she was racist she wouldn't have minorities on her friends list :wtf:

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

Hahaha guys it's so funny that a judge actually ruled that killing a prostitute because she took your money without having sex with you is defensible! That bitch is getting a load either way! Hahaha! Sex workers don't deserve empathy!

Oh, and none of these people are ~edgy~ teenage 4channers or anything. These are all 30somethings with families and real jobs. So they will probably never grow out of it.

Edit: Forgot to black out their names, but you know what? They deserve to have their names publicly associated with this.

Fascinator has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Jun 6, 2013

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

Well you see, she took his money and he had to use reasonable force to get it back.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

I'm on a friend's tablet that I have no idea how to screengrab on, but I posted an article about the anti-vax movement on my Facebook and, while I didn't get any anti-vaxxers or anything, I got like four or five moms who proudly informed me that they had decided to vaccinate their children after "researching both sides of the debate." It's like, okay, I'm really glad that they vaccinated, and I'm not saying that we should blindly accept all things ever, but vaccination is NOT a debate! The mere idea that vaccination is a potential health risk that you have to assess before deciding whether or not to do it to your kids is in itself nutjob anti-vaxxer bullshit.

Also: I have a student who keeps trying to friend me on Facebook, even after I explained to both him and the class in general that I don't accept friend requests from students. This is the fourth time he's tried. What the hell?

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

This woman is harmless enough, but literally a good half of her and her husband's posts are about farts. Far be it from me to disparage a good fart joke, but these aren't even jokes, just them talking about how they farted, or plan to fart, or how the farts smelled, or how they love the smell of their spouse's farts. Motherfuckers are in their thirties and I vaguely recall them getting fired from a job cleaning up the Gulf oil spill because they made racist remarks about other workers.

Also my friend's dad posted about how homosexuality was a choice because there wasn't a single "gay gene", just a genetic predisposition to it, like with certain kinds of cancers (yes, that was the example he used). His argument was that, although you might feel like you are gay due to your predisposition, because there isn't a single dedicated unremoveable "gay gene" what it actually means is that you have the choice to not be gay because it's just a predisposition.

He removed it after I asked him if he thought people chose to have cancer since some genes give you a predisposition. Lesson learned: screengrab first, then snark :(

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

I hate to break it to you, but I think this couple is publicly posting about their fetish. :ssh:

I refuse to believe this, and will instead go on believing that they are simply uncouth with immature senses of humor. Yes, that's the ticket...

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

I saw an insane post today that tragically disappeared into the ether before I thought to get a screenshot of it. I don't know how "national" this news is, but it's big regional news: a couple weeks ago, a little girl in Florida was kidnapped and murdered by a sex offender after her mother met the man at a store, accepted his offer of food and clothing for her family, and allowed her daughter to go with the man to another part of the store to get food. Much of the reaction has focused on two things: one, the fact that the man has dozens of arrests but was not kept in prison, and two, the fact that the mother let her daughter go off with a total stranger. Obviously the mother showed some really poor judgement, but it's a really horrible story and I feel awful for that mother who will have to live with that mistake for the rest of her life.

The guy was arraigned or something the day before yesterday, and a friend of mine posted an article about it, and, predictably, the comments veered off into disturbing sadistic fantasies about what they'd like to do to the guy on one hand, and what a terrible, stupid, probably negligent parent the woman was for letting the kid go off with him. Then this happened (more or less verbatim):

An insane mother posted:

That bitch should serve the same amount of jail time as the killer. She killed her child. There's an epidemic of child molestation and child killers out there and you need to protect your kids. No decent parent lets their kid out of their sight for a minute. My kids aren't allowed to go anywhere without me. I don't let any man get near them. I don't even let my daughter play with her brothers in the room with the doors closed. It's just what good parents do.

Holy poo poo.

I don't know this lady, and I don't know if she's just unbalanced in general, fixated on this issue, and went off the deep end, or if she's a survivor of sexual abuse and has gone overboard trying to prevent the same thing from happening to her kids. Either way that's a really extreme reaction. If there's any real reason to suspect that the girl's brothers would molest her, why the hell are they living under the same roof?

Fascinator has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Jul 5, 2013

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

I wish I had too, but the friend who posted it posts literally a couple dozen times a day and every post gets 20+ comments, and he's posted eight or nine times about this case, so by the time I remembered this thread finding it was drat near impossible. If I can find it again I'll edit it in.

I've been heavily involved in both feminist circles and far-left politics for a good decade, and this is literally the first time I have ever personally witnessed someone seriously imply that all men should be assumed to be rapists regardless of context. I've heard of people saying it, but this is my first primary source, as it were. I feel awful for all of that woman's children. Teaching your children about consent, rape culture, and personal safety is fantastic, but this woman's gone off the deep end if she's literally forbidding her opposite-sex children to be alone together because the boys might molest or rape the girl.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

^ I need to watch that, but only if it doesn't end with the premise that maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

VOILA! Look what I found! I had to wade through 30 posts about lost dogs and the Fourth of July to get it so you'd better appreciate it:

I should have cropped in both the "3 likes" and the comment further down that praised her as a good mom.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

I'd rather hang out with "Wass6p" too. The only people who have ever messaged me anything like the second message were either actual boyfriends or friends who were obviously joking. I'd be so creeped out if someone who didn't fall into those categories told me that. At least the bottom two comments give me some hope for humanity.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

Boneitis posted:

The first four are men :ssh:

Um, I know? I don't get what you're going for there, sorry :(

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

LINGERIA

That said, yeah, you probably shouldn't be buying lingerie for anyone if you don't know what size/brand they wear and what colors and styles they prefer. The rest is all misogynistic drivel though. Who the hell would respond to a gift of lingerie with "OMG YOU'RE HAVING AN AFFAIR??"

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

You heard it here first, folks. New York's park restrooms, the first step in organized sexual slavery and genocide.

Person who posted this is a goddamn PhD student. At a really good internationally-prominent school, not some podunk backwater that takes anyone who can demonstrate literacy.

(I may be bitter because ten years ago that same program rejected me and now I find out they take bathroom social justice workers/conspiracy theorists)

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

So whenever I'm travelling and I'm told by whomever I'm with that we're making a "comfort stop", what's REALLY going on is they're going to force me to gently caress soldiers? poo poo!!!

Apparently the word "comfort" was forever tainted by the Japanese army and any use of it is a direct reference to comfort women. She also posted in the comments that she felt like renaming the bathrooms "comfort stations" might be triggering to sex trafficking victims and Korean people. I'm not saying that its impossible for these groups of people to be triggered by that, but I think that the odds of any given patron of NYC's public parks belonging to one of those two groups, noticing the signs, having knowledge of Pacific Theater atrocities (which aren't well-known here), being familiar with the much-less-common term "comfort station," making the connection between the name of the bathroom and the WW2 term, AND being upset enough about it to be genuinely triggered is pretty goddamn slim.

I mean, I think it's completely horrible that these women were forced into prostitution and brutalized and then completely ignored and shamed and not helped at all, even by their own home countries in a lot of cases. And I agree that the plight of the comfort women needs to be better known. I even agree that replacing the euphemism "restroom" with the even more euphemistic "comfort station" is pretty stupid. But come on!

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Are there book snobs the same way there are video game snobs who thumb their nose at people who don't complete 3 books a week?

Yep. They usually either read nothing but genre fiction, or nothing but classics from high-school reading lists.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

I have two bronies on my Facebook and they're both mid-30s women without kids who love Ren Faires. I don't know.

Sure you did.

This was drawn by the other brony lady and it's just disturbing.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

Well it's about time that somebody came and spoke up for the poor white people, who have never been allowed to have a voice in conversations about race. Maybe one day we'll get to live in a world where any racially-charged national issue is dominated by white people wondering out loud why everything has to be about race and kindly letting everyone else know what is and isn't racist. Then we'll have true equality.

I can't find it online, but I remember reading a study that consisted of men watching staged discussions on TV and then being asked about the gender makeup of the discussion. When the discussion was scripted so that men and women each had 50% of the dialogue, men interpreted the discussion as being dominated by women. They continued to interpret it as female-dominated until the percentage of women's dialogue dropped to below 10%, at which point it was proclaimed equal. I wonder if there is a racial analogue to this, as I've met a ton of white people who interpret every instance of a black person speaking on any serious topic as affirmative action gone mad, or as them dominating the discussion and making it all about race, or something similar.

While we're on the topic of racism, my friend has some things to say about the plucky Irish!

Obviously the Irish have historically been dealt a lovely hand, particularly in their home country but also in the United States. Difference being that, unlike the black and Native American peoples who supposedly feel like they are "owed" something, they came here voluntarily, were not the subjects of organized, nationwide atrocities, and were fully assimilated into mainstream white American culture within two generations. But what do I know about the struggles of generic whiteys who think they probably had a half-Irish great-great grandmother?

I didn't bother saying anything because she's one of those morons who thinks that anyone disagreeing with her opinion is infringing on her free speech, but what an rear end in a top hat.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

I always think of "white people food" to mean bland, tasteless, overcooked, unseasoned, boring, etc. Things like that veggie casserole that was mentioned. Or vegetables cooked until they're mushy and not seasoned with anything discernible. Or canned soups. Or overcooked, unmarinated steak served with ketchup. Or unseasoned meatloaf. Or Hamburger Helper. The sort of stuff you could expect to be served when dining with your new girlfriend's uptight conservative suburban housewife mom. In the seventies.

Content: Earlier I posted a husband and wife team that delights in farting and telling us all about the delectable smells it produces. They've since moved on to bigger and better things. Keep in mind these are adults in their early 30s.

A whoopie cushion. In a restaurant. I don't care if it's Olive Garden (the worst restaurant I can think of). You don't do that.

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

^ It's more like they never got to be 11-year-olds or something. Which they did. Because they're adults now.

I don't actually know the guy at all, but the woman is someone I've known casually for many years and I can vouch for this being her third marriage. There was also a broken engagement in there too. She is actually a pretty nice lady, just incredibly clueless and very easily influenced by the men in her life. She never posted about farts until she started seeing this dude seriously. During her first marriage she was all about photography because he was, during her second marriage she was all about conservative politics because he was, and during the broken engagement she was all about long-haul trucking. Guess what he did for a living.

On the plus side, I got invited to her second wedding and it was pirate-themed, which is lame, but on an actual reconstructed pirate ship that sailed around (which is awesome) and featured four kegs and little rum bottles for favors (which is EXTREMELY awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fascinator
Jan 2, 2011

Unless your girlfriend is remarkably bad at reading comprehension, there is no way she mistook that meme for encouragement to work hard and get off welfare. The message behind "Uncle Sam is not your baby daddy" is quite clearly "Women (mostly black) are having babies either just to get welfare, or with the expectation that welfare will pay for all their needs." I get that it's natural to think the best of your partner and want to defend them, but there is no way that a normal adult could process that as a benign message of encouragement.

More thread content: a new semester brings waves of friend requests from students, despite me telling them on the first day not to do that poo poo. I'm not going to post it here for obvious reasons, but one of them had a public profile and the uppermost status update was about how he used to use his mom's guest towels as a jizz rag in high school. Ladies and gentlemen, the future of America.

• Locked thread