Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (AKA Fighting and Tits: The Manga) is a comic about a bullied high school boy named Kenichi that decides to learn martial arts. Completely lacking any talent, he eventually meets a girl named Furinji Miu who punches and kicks dudes like a pro. Due to generic plot progression nonsense he needs to learn some of those punches and kicks really fast, so Miu introduces him to the residents of Ryuzanpaku, near invincible masters of their respective martial arts. Kenichi then procedes to punch evil dudes who then decide that evil is totally overrated before joining up with Kenichi to punch other evil dudes, and so on. As you can clearly see, this is a groundbreaking story the likes of which has never been told before.

Whoa, that sounds terribly generic. Why should I bother?
  • Kenichi's growth is really presented well. He's forced to struggle for every little power up and it makes for good reading.
  • The fighting is illustrated and explained in a way that's very entertaining.
  • The supporting cast is fun to watch. They grow along with Kenichi and aren't entirely useless.
  • Reports indicate that some people like the occasional titty in their fighting karate dude comics. Other reports indicate that the people from the first report are creepy and smell bad.

Whatever, just stop thinking about it for a second and look at these

OK, I like the part where that one guy punched a shark. Tell me who I'll be reading about.

Main Characters

Kenichi Shirahama:

Your standard high school kid learning how to punch dudes good. The fact that he has no talent at all is a running joke throughout the comic. He's shounen as gently caress, so basically he's good at standing up after getting his poo poo kicked in and making friends with the bad guys after eventually winning.

Miu Furinji

Grand daughter of the invincible superman Hayato Furinji and the primary source of tits in Fighting and Tits. Her parents are dead (or are they). Likes cats. Wears reactive body armor that explodes outwards to defend against punches, kicks, strong breezes, and/or nothing at all.

Masters of Ryouzanpaku

Hayato Furinji:

The Invincible Superman. Creator of the legendary 108 techniques. Master of ancient martial arts. He's pretty much the only person that the other masters are afraid of and is the de facto leader of the bunch. Has never been defeated. Garyuu X's biggest fan.

Akisame Koetsuji:

The philisophical Jujitsu master, he is an accomplished artist and surgeon on top of the whole kicking lots of rear end thing. He has converted his entire body into pink muscle which is a thing that's totally not made up. Devises a lot of training machines for Kenichi that border on cruel and unusual.

Shio Sakaki:

100th degree karate blackbelt which is also a thing that's totally not made up. Destroyer of stairs. Drinks and gambles a lot.

Shigure Kosaka:

Master of all things sharp and/or pointy. Daughter of the swordsmith who was closest to uncovering the secret of the steel when he died, whatever the gently caress that means. She wasn't even in the original comic, but with the publisher's titty quota rapidly increasing, she was considered a necessary addition when it restarted.

Apachai Hopachai:

Death god of the Muay Thai underworld and all around cool dude. May have a minor case of severe brain damage. Gets along well with kids and animals. Had a pet tiger at one point. Has killed Kenichi by accident a couple of times.

Kensei Ma:

Master of all Chinese kenpo and unrepentant pervert. Also his brother is evil. Not much else to say since his entire character is 'Chinese, pervert, and has evil brother'.

Supporting Cast
Did Kenichi take more than 3 chapters to kick your rear end and/or do you have comically large tits? Welcome to the supporting cast! There's quite a few but posting them would contain a lot of spoilers and I want this post to be new reader friendly, so I'll just post the only one that actually matters.

Mysterious Teenager Garyu X:

A member of an ultra secret sentai team, nobody knows the true identity of this youthful 20 year old. Able to split his vocal chords in two to talk to two different people at once. Capable of limiting his power to an exact percentage of his full strength on a whim. Who is this mysterious youth?

So I heard there was an anime?
Yeah, and it was pretty decent. The animation budget was very low and it shows, but it faithfully follows the comic and is paced fairly well. It only skips one or two short and completely inconsequental arcs. Even if you read the comic I would advise watching the last few episodes of the anime because they were very well done.

If you already watched the anime or just finished it on this thread's recommendation, then the next comic you want to read is this one:
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/historys_strongest_disciple_kenichi/v17/c144/6.html

What about the recent OVAs?
They're bad. Don't watch them. Half of them are really stupid filler and the other half are paced so badly that they aren't worth watching. Also, the animation budget hasn't improved since the anime, so gently caress it, what's the point?

I'm a regular reader and I want to tell you just how much I hate the fanservice!
Shut up. It's one thing to post 'God drat, the last few chapters have been nothing but tits. Where did the awesome fighting go?' It's another thing to rant about how much you hate that there are tits in an otherwise great chapter about dudes punching each other. Learn to tell the difference or just ignore it like most of us.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Kuroyama posted:

Just looking to clarify the fanservice discussion, using the latest chapter as an example.

I can say "Every Miu panel is from a ridiculous perspective" and it's okay, but I should probably delete the 30 paragraph essay detailing how those few panels have set feminism back about 30 years, right?

If you feel the need to comment on the level of fan service in this chapter at all then this comic probably isn't for you either way. After the latest chapter I think acceptable posts would include 'god drat' and 'holy poo poo these last three chapters have been the best thing since the Apachai arc'

Not that I'm making rules or anything. Do whatever but don't be obnoxious about it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Gyges posted:

It's entirely possible to both like the comic and dislike the fan service. The last chapter however was pretty awesome with the fighty stuff though and fan service was held to a couple panels.

I agree and that's pretty much the point of the whole OP with a few jokes thrown in.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Skipping past the obvious complaints, the ends for those fights were pretty abrupt. Like Sindai mentioned, it's pretty disappointing that whatever Kisara was on about just got skipped/forgotten. Chikage's part was ok, though, I guess. At least something finally happened there.

Whatever, there's no more fights left besides Salaryman vs Kensei so lets get on with it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

That should have been cooler considering what was happening. Oh well, hope it leads to something good next issue

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'll admit, I did not see that coming at all.

Yeah, this was actually a pretty cool direction for that character's story and I didn't see it coming considering how long (almost 200 chapters) it had had been built up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Holy poo poo, there's the reason I keep reading this comic even when some of the chapters are disappointing. Tanaka shoving his fingers through his own hand to get blood in Kensei's eyes and Kenichi pushing himself and actually protecting Miu for once were both amazing.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

pentyne posted:

There is no way Tanaka is not dead. Other then Shou getting shot have we seen anyone brutally killed in a match like this before?

Beside Apachai, the god fist took a crazy amount of damage when fighting Jenazad. That got explained away with the 'masters can move their organs around' thing. I don't think Tanaka has any way to move his brain to a different part of his body though.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

RatHat posted:

It'd be kinda hard for Tanaka to do that since his hands were all hosed up.

Yeah, on pgs 12/13 Tanaka wrecks the gently caress out of his hands doing... uh... something? It's really not clear if he was blocked or Kensei has steel plated pecs or what.

Besides, it looks more like he's cupping Kensei's balls than stabbing him in the gut on 13.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Jaweeeblop posted:

http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/526

Just finished reading the chapter and already don't remember most of it. I really don't like the first issue after big fights.

I thought it was alright. Kenichi shows some surprising determination, some development of the Rimi thing, and the next (hopefully final) part of the big YOMI arc gets teased. For an interlude chapter it was pretty good.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

For the first time in a while it actually seems like a story arc of consequence is starting up. I mean, both the rescue and amusement park arcs had some developments at the end, but it looks like the story might really move forward here.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

tsob posted:

Quick question, anyone know off hand what kind of time-frame the manga is supposed to have taken place over. I was thinking earlier about how great the progress of Kenichi's skills and growth has been portrayed, even just in the art and how he's become more muscular over time but I realized I've no idea if it's supposed to have been months or years so far. I don't recall any birthdays off-hand, but that doesn't mean they haven't happened.

Also, Mycroft would want to be pretty intelligent at the very least as a fighter given his most popular namesake, so I've high hopes for him as an enemy.

Over a year. The series started near the beginning of a school year (I think) and at one point they went up a grade.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Is Kenichi at a "guns are worthless" level yet?

Close range from someone who isn't a master-class with guns? Most likely. He'd probably get aced by any long range sneak attack, though. Not that he ever will because that would be dumb.

Pretty good chapter overall

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The sheer number of people involved right now has me worried we're gonna end up with like 6+ fights going on at once and the comic is going to switch back and forth between them neurotically over a really stupid amount of chapters. That poo poo always sucks

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is a dumb twist.

Yeah, this reeks of 'didn't know how to keep the plot going' rear end pull. It simply doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I don't think there's a blatant contradiction, just a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense now. Like, what was the point of that guy pretending to be Saiga at all? Why did Saiga never make contact with anyone on the 'good' side after the incident?

I mean, whatever, sure, it's a thing now. I just think it's pretty clear that this was not what the author planned back when those earlier events originally happened and a lot of things don't make much sense because of it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I have not been able to follow the story with Miu's dad at all. So he was just faking being evil this whole time? Is he a good guy now?

More like the evil guy was faking being him. Don't think about it too much. It's dumb.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Odin was the best poo poo if you just like Kenichi fights and DoD was the best for the supporting cast.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

KoB posted:

I'd say way too many plot threads were just dropped, either he got the chance to end it or it was cancelled.

I don't think it's much of a secret that he was unsure on how to continue the story in a meaningful way or just lost interest a couple of years ago. Maybe he thought the OVAs would renew interest but they were crap sooooooo

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I, for one, am glad the author didn't try to make me care at the end after successfully making me not care for over a year now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Kenichi was a remake of some other comic he wrote. This dude is just incapable of any additional character designs or personalities. I guess this time kenichi has a sword and there's ghosts or whatever if you're into that kinda thing?

• Locked thread