Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Speaking of the Norfolk Pine from the last page, any tips on keeping one smaller/shrub sized? I have one that I got a year or so ago that's thriving, it was maybe 2 feet tall when I got it and the main stalk is pushing 4 now. Ideally I'd like to keep it this height (or prune it back a bit?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

unprofessional posted:

....Haven't heard of anybody doing this with a norfolk, but you don't lose anything by trying, and most conifers act pretty similar in this growth pattern.
Thanks for the tip, turns out Norfolks don't take to well to being topped like normal pines, my grandfather actually recommended some sort of growth inhibiting hormone.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Costello Jello posted:

Beautiful. That cactus must be very proud.

Ditto what he said. Wanna meet the cactus.

Only two (well, one, since the other succumbed to scale bugs before I knew what was going on) of my cacti bloom, just once a year.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

unprofessional posted:

Nice arrangement. You should get pretty consistent blooms on the optunia, the euphorbia, and the hawarthia (these always bloom in the winter for me). Where are you at? You might be able to plant out your optunia for much better performance.

Thanks, that's actually a picture from a couple years ago when I first got most of those plants, my phone's camera refuses to work quite often. Apartment living (which is pretty terrible for sunlight) in Austin, TX, so outdoor planting was out of the question, the optunia was a gift but I suspect it was the one that brought the scale bugs. It and another of the small cacti in the photo died before I knew it was bugs and not disease/lack of light :bang:, but I am saving the small blooming cactus (toothbrushing off the bugs). Some of those plants (the madagascar palm) are on the verge of being too big for that gigantic pot now.

The hawarthia and the euphorbia in the green pot bloom? I've never seen the hawarthia bloom but it seems to be healthy and getting bigger, I have no idea what to do with the euphorbia, it's been in that little pot getting taller and taller without branching off and puts out leaves in the Fall. It's almost 2' long and stick thin at this point, probably need to take a cutting and put it in a proper pot.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Looks vaguely like croton to me.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Not gonna lie, pretty adorbs little planter right there.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

As far as I know, skinny cacti result from a lack of sufficient sunlight, and skinny bases never fill out. Instead, when you do give them more sun, the new growth will get fat and top heavy and break off or bend over.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Somebody can correct me, but as I understand it, the colored part of the cactus is a strain of cactus that doesn't produce chlorophyll. It's then grafted onto the top of a healthy green cactus so it can get the chlorophyll juices from the other plant. Without the green cactus graft, it doesn't sound like the red shoots can survive.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks Plant thread, now I'm wondering what cum smells like.

edit: I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find out, either. :stonkhat:

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 15, 2015

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

And give it more sun because it looks pretty etiolated to me,but you'll want to do it gradually and avoid sunburn.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm having a devil of a time with my herb planter. It's currently rosemary, greek oregano, and creeping thyme, but the thyme and oregano have been experiencing some die-back. I'm assuming I've been watering them too much, but I also tried giving them some regular old Miracle Grow around that time. Any tips on care for this kind of planter? Rosemary is doing great but I feel like I'll need to grab new thyme and oregano plants this summer.

Also, pictures of my succulents:
[
Aloe Aristata circa 2011-2012

Same plant, 4-5 years and many pups later

Same planter, one of the pups

Random succulent planter

One of my propagations, random leaf plucked from a friend's plant.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 9, 2016

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I've definitely killed a rosemary or two by over-watering. The rosemary is a recent addition earlier this year but it's been doing well for the last month or so. I took out a fennel plant that was in the planter when it was gifted to me because it was getting huge and noticeably causing etiolation in the oregano and thyme, but that thing was a water hog and let me know it needed more water by wilting. I wonder if it sucked up excess water?

I really need to just sit down and do more research into the needs of these plants, I just thought I read somewhere they're all Mediterranean plants and like less water/more light. They were really doing well until I moved the rosemary in. Hopefully when it really starts warming up they'll push out some strong new growth.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Speaking of carnivorous plants, someone's post here has made me want to try a sundew + growlight setup in our kitchen to control fruit flies.

Does anyone have a preferred online source for plants? The local nursery I like here in Austin was barren of carnivorous plants, let alone Home Depot.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kenning posted:

That was probably my post, since I tell people to do the whole desklamp-and-sundew thing all the time. I also happen to work at probably the best online source for carnivorous plants, Predatory Plants. Let me know if you order anything and I'll make sure you get the illest sundews in the greenhouse.

Thanks! Pretty sure it was you. Put in an order and sent you a PM.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

They'll survive in low light for the most part, but they don't go into stasis, they etiolate. They grow long and spindly. It's annoying if you want big healthy plants, but for someone like me who has been moving apartments for a decade or so, you can take a spindly cutting and grow a healthy plant when you finally can give it good sunlight.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Alright, I've killed 3 generations of thyme and oregano I've been trying to grow in an herb planter pot. The first generation died when I removed a fennel plant that had gotten huge, but they were thriving before that. Led me to believe the fennel, which was a water hog, kept the soil dry enough for the thyme and oregano. I replaced the fennel with rosemary and new thyme and oregano, but the rosemary has outlasted two generations now.

I must be overwatering, right? I don't water until the soil is dry, even waiting until the thyme looks crispy, but the stems brown and die eventually. Happened to a couple of the rosemary limbs as well, but that has abated. Also, I believe these herbs are averse to fertilizing, correct?

I'm really not this bad at keeping plants alive, my porch is growing into a forest of various things. Here are a few of the plants I've managed NOT to kill:

Drosera aliciae sundew, care of Kenning and http://www.predatoryplants.com/. This little guy is putting out 2-3 new leaves a week.

Progress of my "three amigos," a propagation from a mystery leaf plucked from a friend's succulent in late December, first pic is 7 months ago. And yea, they've been overwatered as well...

A half dozen 1.5 month-old castor bean saplings grown from beans from my grandfather's garden that really need to slow their roll until Spring.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

robotindisguise posted:

Looks like the saddest-ever, wandering jew.

Not sad, just ambitious. It's got a long way down to wander.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Holy poo poo y'all. I just noticed someone stole my herb planter off my patio at my apartment complex. I've got a buttload of decorative plants and a slightly psychoactive cactus that is waiting to be stolen, but I have a hard time believing someone who wants fresh oregano, rosemary, or thyme for their home cooked meals would walk by and think, "hm, maybe I'll steal this doofus' herb pot." Who the hell steals herbs?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How have I never thought of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Adding to that, cacti and succulents are happily grown on sunny Texas patios. You can experiment with tomatoes, herbs (rosemary seems especially suited), and all sorts of stuff. My advice for growing at a Texas apartment is to take a good look at how much light you get if you have a porch to grow on. Full sun vs partial shade makes all the difference for the plants I've tried growing. Oh, and water your non-desert plants often, you've messed if they've wilted.