Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think my dad has an old car battery powered welder somewhere, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
An EGR schematic from a picture book:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

iv46vi posted:

An EGR schematic from a picture book:

You're a legend. Thanks! You've also confirmed a few of my suspicions.

You see #1. That's damaged. It has a screw shoved in where one of the vacuum connectors was. The hose that's shoved over the screw leads to the charcoal canister.

#3 has a decent hole in it which has made a nice soot mark on the manifold.

#4 I suspect of leaking.

#24 just doesn't exist. I have no idea what that is.

InitialDave posted:

I think my dad has an old car battery powered welder somewhere, actually.

It's entirely likely. It's a semi common thing to carry jumper leads and a few welding rods in a toolbox if you are off the beaten track fairly often. I know someone that used their battery and fencing wire as an electrode to do a patch job. That must have really been a huge PITA. Wouldn't have worked too well either without the coating.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah the welds come off incredibly easy if you use stuff like that. Secret :banjo: trick: wrap newspaper tightly around the wire, it will act as a sort of lovely flux by burning and producing a low oxygen environment for the weld.

quote:

Cellulosic Electrodes

The coating of these electrodes contains organic materials that turn into gases
in the arc. About 30% of the coating weight is cellulose. In some countries,
paper pulp and wood powder are added to the coating in certain ratios to reduce
the amount of pure cellulose. These organic compounds in the coating decompose
in the arc to from carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and hydrogen, which increase
the arc tension and thus, the welding arc becomes stronger and harder. Compared
with other types of electrodes, with the same current values, a 70% deeper
penetration is obtained with cellulosic electrodes.

http://www.arctech.com.tr/english/cellulosic_electrodes.htm

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

General_Failure posted:

It's entirely likely. It's a semi common thing to carry jumper leads and a few welding rods in a toolbox if you are off the beaten track fairly often.

Works great if you have two sets of leads and dual batteries. Disco them from the normal electrical system and connect them in series to get 24v and it melts rod pretty well.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

General_Failure posted:

#24 just doesn't exist. I have no idea what that is.

24 is a rubber hanger on the very tip of the "silencer" aka muffler. It's a part of page from the picture book from lada.co.uk that I've linked in the general chat thread a while back.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks again for the help.

Yep two batteries definitely works better for field welding.

Sorry about the lack of photos but there's a lot of finding and not much doing going on.

I pulled back the drivers carpet and started attacking the underside and the underlay with a hair dryer. The windows were fogging so I must have been doing something right. Up past the pedals hints that the original rubber mats are living under the underlay. I'm undecided. I might leave the carpet for now at least.

Had a brief go at undoing one of the EGR valve nuts. 17mm and super rusty. I had 4 or 5 extensions on my driver to try to get it out far enough to get some leverage. No go yet. While I was at it I think I spotted the wandering idle issue.
These carbs have a vacuum secondary. I saw the vacuum pot. I saw the short stump of shaft that had been snipped off. Goddamnit. I grabbed what seemed logically like the secondary butterfly linkage and moved it a good few mm. No spring loading and the mechanical interlock wasn't stopping that slop. Well now. This will be a challenge.

e: Cracked the nuts loose. Haven't undone them yet.

Plus photo of clipped shaft on the carb.

e again: The EGR is fine as near as I can tell. But on pulling the top off the air cleaner I confirmed my suspicion. The secondary throat butterfly is able to just flop around. Although the chances are slim to none I Think I still have a mikuni or something in the shed which has a vacuum secondary. IIRC it has an adjustable shaft too. Perhaps I can use it. Probably not but you never know.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 20, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
High tech as all gently caress!

It'll do for the moment. At least the secondary butterfly isn't free to flop.

e: Started it and did some revving. Took me a few adjustments to get it so the butterfly closed completely again but I got there. The idle is off to poo poo but that's easy enough.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 20, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Such a cool little vehicle, reminds me of my Suzuki Samurai. Way low on power but so much fun, I miss the little guy :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

Such a cool little vehicle, reminds me of my Suzuki Samurai. Way low on power but so much fun, I miss the little guy :(

Others may disagree but I think they are both in the same category of vehicle. I was offered a swap of a Suzuki for the trailer a few months back. The trailer is a rusty piece of poo poo but it's useful. If I'd gotten the Suzuki I wouldn't have been able to shift big things. Don't know if you noticed but the wheels on the Niva are from a Suzuki. I do agree though they are awesome. Regrets, eh?
I think the big difference between the two is track. The Niva is really wide. Shifting it around the yard it keeps catching me off guard.

Oh man that's such a bodge. Doesn't matter. It proved the vacuum diaphragmn worked and everythign is otherwise functional. I'll do something better later.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep, the wheels and white letter tires is what reminded me, I had Trail T/As on mine. It was my little beach cruiser, and it cut through the sand like a hot knife through butter. Can't drive on the beach anymore though. It's all good, I have a little convertible now, it's just a roadster instead of a "jeep". I still want a Wrangler very badly too, I miss being able to take the doors off :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

Yep, the wheels and white letter tires is what reminded me, I had Trail T/As on mine. It was my little beach cruiser, and it cut through the sand like a hot knife through butter. Can't drive on the beach anymore though. It's all good, I have a little convertible now, it's just a roadster instead of a "jeep". I still want a Wrangler very badly too, I miss being able to take the doors off :v:

You get to enjoy different things with a convertible. It's all good! I like things that can be stripped down too. The Niva isn't one of them but it doesn't matter.
It was meant to have narrow wheels. Designed for it but the size is rare so I don't know. I might stick with these wheels even though the offset is a bit wrong. What does bother me is the hole for the hub is about 2mm too big on the Suzuki rims. I'm guessing these things are hub-centric and I know absolutely nothing about the spacer ring things.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I wish I had way to digitize VHS tapes, I have couple Lada races on them. Instead, heres a couple pictures.

My Lada with old rims, some Mille Miglias. I now have it on some old Tecnomagnesios.

And heres a race car! Its currently in much more sad state than this. It crashed and burned at Ahvenisto, and while it made my dad stop racing, he did fix the body up, so everything just needs to be put together and painted.

And since this is tangentially related, heres another soviet offroad vehicle, ZIL131. I drove this for a year.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

leica posted:

One of my colleagues drives a first-gen Suzuki Vitara convertible, with huge tires and a chunky bull bar and everything. He never washes it and if you put on the heater and the radio at the same time, the engine cuts out. It's so awesome.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

i LOVE the 3/4" cable bullbar feelers on that russian truck.

Cyclist not giving way? cut his head off!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

General_Failure posted:

I just realised my thread title probably means little to everyone.

Niva means Crop Field. The Lada logo is a Viking ship.

Well, there you go.

Nice little truck!

Every dictionary I can find translates Нива specifically as a cornfield rather than just a 'crop field'. So it should be 'of cornfields and Viking ships' which I think sounds much better :)

I too have a urge to get a Niva one day, though I also hanker after a UAZ 492/39xx 4x4 van - http://www.uaz.ru/eng/models/commercial/ . When i've been to Kazakhstan these things were everywhere like ford transit vans are in the UK and I cant believe they still make them and they have always looked the same.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Corn is not a traditional Russian crop and niva is a very old term. It does mean crop field in the closest approximation. Now lada on the other hand is a diminutive form of lad'ya, a traditional primarily river going Russian boat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

i LOVE the 3/4" cable bullbar feelers on that russian truck.

Cyclist not giving way? cut his head off!

To be fair, the ends appear to be taped up for safety.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
oh for christs sakes. I had a huge reply typed and was just about done when my son made the whole thing disappear irretrievably into oblivion.
I'll type another later. It'll take too long now.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll answer them again later today if I get a chance. Super abridged progress. Nearly got the floor dried. Rubber mats underneath are in great condition and I should be buying a replacement steering wheel next week.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm sorry but this is going to be a bit of a half hearted reply.

punakone I love all those vehicles. Are there any plans to finish reassembly of the race car even if just for the sake of completion? I hope so. What are the Lada sedans like to drive? Those trucks are some of my favourites and I wish we had things like that here.

iv46vi Thanks for the language lesson and clarification. The origin of "Lada" was particularly interesting to me because it always seems to be glossed over or people say it's just plain made up.

KozmoNaut The old Vitaras are awesome. To be quite honest it was only very recently it was pointed out to me that the Vitara line didn't end with that type. I didn't know the new ones carried the name.

Tomarse There seems to be a lot of closet Lada wanters. I had no idea those UAZ trucks were still in production. They make the oldskool Ladas look modern. I also think they look like they were made from old Land Rovers. Probably because of the way the sides look. Simple curves and flat panels.

I hope that's everyone. Every time I see that picture of my "handywork" on the carburettor butterfly I cringe. I feel so dodgy. Should I bother tracking down a proper one or just make something equivalent myself?

My little boy wanted to play in the cars this morning so I haven't gotten a whole lot done. I made a halfassed attempt at putting some tools away. I ended up dumping them in that big toolchest in the back. Then I fed the seatbelts through the back. That was interesting. It took me a bit to figure out how to get the latch bits through the seat. Then i couldn't get the back of the seat to lock in place. It was a combination of more PO poo poo I missed hiding under the back seat and possibly from the carpet that was laid under everything. Well like everything brute force prevailed.

In amongst the stuff under the seat there was also an empty blade connector block. It looked like the sort that would belong to the car. So the question is where did it come from? It's a 4 connector one so there aren't too many options. There's some weird things going on in the left side of the engine bay that I have to work out near where the widowmaker jack used to be. Maybe it's from there.

I stuffed the drivers carpet back in place. Awful job. House carpet doesn't like bending. Once it was in I noticed a coin sized wet spot still. I'll just attack that with the hair dryer.

Probably the next thing on my list is to sort out the windscreen wipers. They aren't adjusted right or something. The left arm goes way too low. It ends up on the panel. The right one stops its swing more or less vertically which is useless for the driver. I know the motor was replaced. I just don't think it was set back up properly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Just a little addition. Yesterday i thought the speedometer was broken because it was sitting on 10km/h. Nope. That's where the lower limit pin is. So it can never go down to 0. I have no idea what the deal is with that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

General_Failure posted:

Just a little addition. Yesterday i thought the speedometer was broken because it was sitting on 10km/h. Nope. That's where the lower limit pin is. So it can never go down to 0. I have no idea what the deal is with that.
Unlike the stagnating west, Mother Russia never stops progressing!

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I'm sorry but this is going to be a bit of a half hearted reply.

punakone I love all those vehicles. Are there any plans to finish reassembly of the race car even if just for the sake of completion? I hope so. What are the Lada sedans like to drive? Those trucks are some of my favourites and I wish we had things like that here.

Yeah, if I ever have the time and will to finish it I will. The sedans dont differ too much from what you experience in the Niva. Theyre most fun in the winter, rwd, light and manual. But otherwise it feels like anyother powerless econobox.

And about that ZIL, being 6x6 it could really go anywhere, but the best part was fueling it up. Its a gasoline V8 and it has two 170l fuel tanks.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

iv46vi - Thanks for the lesson - My trust in Russian/english dictionaries was already low. Now it is even lower!

General_Failure posted:

In a landy, under 10mph and the speedo needle will just be bouncing about from 0-10 (and higher). This is an elegant design feature that prevents this confusion! ;)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Actually in non U.S. English corn can mean any number of crops, of the cereal grains usually. (Oats or something, etc.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not everyone likes Ladas, it seems:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
^ in ex soviet Russia pedestrians run over cars.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I put coolant in. That was interesting. I pulled off the skid plate and the pan under the engine bay so I could neatly drain everything out. Using the drain plug seemed like a good idea. I start turning it no worries. I'm left staring at a bolt head with a couple of mm of thread. the rest had apparently more or less rusted to nothing. No liquid came out so I just gently screwed the bolt head back in and chose to ignore it for now.

next up the bottom hose. Undid the hose clamp. Tried wiggling it. heard creaking and cracking. Tried loosening it by shoving a screwdriver under it. Eventually some liquid flowed. I drained it like that then eventually wiggled the hose free.

I then though gently caress it. it's only rustwater, and dumped a couple of buckets of water through the rad. Still dark brown. Connected up the garden hose nearby and just ran it for a few minutes. Eventually I could start to see through the water a little. I left it at that.

Then I had the bright idea of removing the upper hose to try to flush it a little. When I saw what might have been a crack appear around the pipe I decided to abandon that.

All together and filled with coolant I tried driving it around in the yard to raise the temp a bit. Couldn't get it up past 80 something C. Gave up. Saw a patch on the middle of the rad that still looked wet. :(

I think the Berlin wall was still standing the last time it had coolant in it. It was pretty awful.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
Hah, congratulations on finding the car of your dreams. Ladas always bring some sort of bittersweet memories from my childhood to me as I lived in one of those countries where Ladas were common. My uncle and a family friend both owned Lada 1500. Tough little bastards but heavy as gently caress, they guzzled fuel like there was no tomorrow. That little engine worked hard to move all that steel.

When I arrived in Australia in the late 80's and saw them for sale, I just burst out laughing because I couldn't believe Russians would pull off such a stunt (selling their Soviet-standard vehicles to the West). They weren't around for long (Koreans jumped on the cheap-and-nasty bandwagon with their Hyundais and Daewoos and they were a bit more tenacious) but they did leave few enthusiasts behind.
Russians built Nivas tough and they don't ask for much maintenance-wise, but a little TLC will go a long way, so don't get stingy, you've got a living history in your hands.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

steady posted:

Hah, congratulations on finding the car of your dreams. Ladas always bring some sort of bittersweet memories from my childhood to me as I lived in one of those countries where Ladas were common. My uncle and a family friend both owned Lada 1500. Tough little bastards but heavy as gently caress, they guzzled fuel like there was no tomorrow. That little engine worked hard to move all that steel.

When I arrived in Australia in the late 80's and saw them for sale, I just burst out laughing because I couldn't believe Russians would pull off such a stunt (selling their Soviet-standard vehicles to the West). They weren't around for long (Koreans jumped on the cheap-and-nasty bandwagon with their Hyundais and Daewoos and they were a bit more tenacious) but they did leave few enthusiasts behind.
Russians built Nivas tough and they don't ask for much maintenance-wise, but a little TLC will go a long way, so don't get stingy, you've got a living history in your hands.

Not sure I'd say the car of my dreams but it fulfils in some way one of the "what if"s that has been with me since the '90s.

I was going to say, Korea did about the same in vehicle quality. But really. I don't think I could keep a straight face and say that contemporary Aussie cars were actually better built. I've given the Niva a pretty good look over so far and can't really fault it for construction.

Don't worry. It's being looked after. I'm still in the evaluation stage. Working out what needs repair and what doesn't, and what parts I will need / want.

So far in a poorly arranged list what I think it needs / wants done:

*Quarter window catches re-adhered.
*Something done with the steering wheel (already something in the works)
*Fix the steering slop.
*Replace the cut linkage on the carburettor.
*Stop leak on rear hatch. Probably a new rubber because the old one is folded up top.
*Cooling system / radiator. Hoses are original. Radiator is scary. Thermo fans would be nice.
*Re-hang passenger door.
*New tyres.
*Get spare wheel.
*New cluster dimmer.
*Find indicator gremlin.
*Total fluid change.
*Some rust repairs later on.
*Adjust valves. I still need to buy a fresh rocker cover gasket.
*Do something with towing wiring plug. Its back is exposed and facing up.
*Fix floppy windscreen wipers.
*Replace cracked hose for rear washer.
*Procure and reinstall headlight wiper arms.
*Get horn working on steering wheel again.
*Put top of right rear shock around the right way.
*Check and probably rewire driving lights. (currently n/c from mistrust of current wiring)

Probably a few other items but that's about it and it's mostly really easy stuff.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh man Nivas. At one point my father drove one from the west coast to the east coast of Russia and back, with a hell of a lot of looping and circling in between. They're great little cars,

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

OWLS! posted:

Oh man Nivas. At one point my father drove one from the west coast to the east coast of Russia and back, with a hell of a lot of looping and circling in between. They're great little cars,

That would have been one hell of a drive!
I wish I could drive mine outside the yard :(

Minor progress update. Confirmed left parking light is dead. Should be easy enough if I can find a replacement bulb with small glass.

Left quarter panel indicator sorted. Someone had crushed one of the blade connectors into a crescent and squished the female side equivalently. I straightened both out and plugged them in. It now works.
It has the super fast indicator issue on both sides, yet they flash at the normal rate when the hazards are on. I don't get it!
I attacked a few connectors in the engine bay with contact cleaner just because and also tried to degrease the front of the engine. Apparently I bought the fly spray smelling non foaming poo poo. Well it worked a little I guess.

I spent a while staring at the mysterious green wires which are the exact shade of green as some factory looking green wires. I have no idea what they are for, nor why there are some of them wrapped up with electrical tape with blade connectors exposed and some speaker wire heading out from that mess to the dash too. Perhaps there was a driving light relay at some point. The wire sticking out the front for the driving lights is that shade of green too. But then what of the mysterious relay with the puny red wires that go nowhere. So many mysteries.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fast blinking can be cause by low resistance, such as a bulb out or the wrong (lower-wattage) bulb being used.

VVV consider trying a different flasher relay unit first...I have seen them, especially really cheap ones, behave in the oddest ways. VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 24, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Fast blinking can be cause by low resistance, such as a bulb out or the wrong (lower-wattage) bulb being used.

My thoughts too. All the bulbs are working. I have no reason to suspect the wrong bulbs are used but I suppose it is possible. Whatever the fault it, it's progressive. Initially it was only on the left (unplugged bulb) but now it's on both sides. What hot me is how it would start off at the normal speed then accelerate to superfast. It still does that to a degree. I'll work it out. I still suspect an earthing issue.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The flasher unit is an odd one with a 6 connector rectangular plug. I don't have anything like that. It's one of my main suspects too.

Well minor update. I fixed the engine tinware underneath for lack of a better term. Someone had folded it over in a couple of places for some unknown reason. I managed to re-bend it to roughly where it should be and reinstall it, and the bash plate. They were both off from the coolant change.

Left front indicator bulb contact spring re-bent. Left side indicator connector repaired and reconnected. Left front parking light bulb replaced. Indicator relay mercilessly wiggled.

Once I get the indicators sorted that's one of the major items off my list. I noticed that the rear washer / wiper switch isn't properly in the dash. That's going to bother me until I fix it.

Oh yeah. Another thing about the indicators. With the motor not running, after it does the initial normal flash the tach gives a twitch.

e: I just realised this sounds contradictory. All the bulb-y stuff was done today. Not necessarily since my last post.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 24, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My son disappeared my MS duo this morning so I had to dig out a 32mb memory stick :argh:

Euuuuugghh

Swapped out the old Soviet oil filled coil for a spare GT40. I had to do some sanding to the plastic near the terminals of the GT40 to clearance it a little for the larger ring connectors.
Amazingly the GT40 has a slightly smaller diameter than the Soviet unit. I was anticipating the opposite issue.
It started right up. Needed less choke than before and idled much more consistently. I had a suspicion. As it is the factory spec of 0.6mm spark gap made me squirm.

This is just the engine after doing some degreasing recently. It still has some deposits there and the garden hose was ripping the paint off the rocker cover but it looks a lot better.

I've been working on chasing the indicator gremlin. Still haven't found it but I have a suspicion that shorts happened after some chucklefuck played with the blade connectors on the indicators and damaged the flasher.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I think they built the whole car around the indicator relay. It was held on with a 10mm headed nut jammed up above the loom between the firewall and the glovebox.
Proudly made in the CCCP.

It had an unbroken wax seal on the screw. The circuit board had escaped at some point and was rattling free. Everything looked fine so I put the board back where it should be and buttoned it up.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Well the indicators are done more or less.
A combination of dodgy connections, a bad earth and low battery voltage. Running the engine for a while got them working as they should. Only I lost the radio in the process. Probably a loose fuse I hope.

While I was at it I removed a wire that connected to the battery +ve on one end and was left hanging with exposed wire on the other, and removed some other superfluous wire which was probably from the driving lights.
Someone installed a hot start relay at some point too. Trouble is I think the relay and the wire gauge is a little weak. The wires have been hot. Although it was probably from me torturing the starter trying to get it off the trailer.

Took my son for another putt around the yard. the GT40 has really helped. I also tightened the fan belt this morning. It was kind of loose. It also looks kind of ancient. It's on my list.

Next up, who knows. Depends on what I can get / do next. Probably something easy like fixing the leaky exhaust clamp or turning around the top of the rear right shock.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
It's strange. There were little splashes of coolant all over the place from when I gave my son another putt in the Niva this morning.
It's currently out there idling away getting nice and toasty and there's not a trace. The way it's running is a bit odd too. It sounds like it keeps dropping a cylinder or something and it's been blowing moisture out the exhaust for the duration. but it doesn't have the spicy smell of the cheap coolant I put in. It just smells like water. Whenever the engine falters the exhaust coughs out a splash of water maybe 4 meters. It's stopped puffing moisture now. I can see it out the window.

It's smelled like it's burning crap off ever since I replaced the coil. That's good. Better burn in the cylinders I guess. I also suspect a decent amount of the fuel is the best part of two years old.

I'm hoping it's not the HG, but there's no oil in the coolant or vice versa and none of the spark plugs looked like they'd been steam cleaned. The lack of coolant smell is also another tell. I suppose it's possible the rear muffler is full of water too. It was parked downhill and who knows how long it had been sitting. Better head out and check it's not getting ready to blow its load.

e: Rad cap's hosed. I could see ghostly bits of condensation on the metal of the top of it. It has a crack running part way round the cap. Still that shouldn't affect the function of it, so I guess the cap leaks. The gauge was only reading 90*C. It may have been sloshing coolant out earlier. New cap time I guess. It looks original so that's not surprising.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is there an overflow tank or something on this car you can watch while you rev the engine? If the rad cap is bypassing and not letting it build pressure you should see the overflow tank filling up.

Revving it hard a few times (though I'm not sure I honestly suggest that with an old car that's new to you and has spent a long time sitting) should blow out the rest of whatever's stuck in the exhaust. Maybe there's a low point in the header and there's a big puddle of water in it that the exhaust valve on that cylinder has to burp exhaust gases through. Might be some other miscellaneous blockage, you never know when something's stored that long and rodents have potentially gotten in it.

Is it new enough to even have a cat?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 26, 2013

• Locked thread