Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

I'm starting to be pretty sure that adventurer is the way to go the first playthrough. Even after barely eeking out a victory against the spider boss, every battle that I do is a matter of life and death. I must not understand the core mechanics well enough yet or my party is not properly outfitted for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd strongly recommend against Warrior difficulty

From what I know, monsters do not respawn in this, which means if you end up with a poorly allocated stat spread, items don't work out for you, or you burn up gold, you could hit the midgame and be hosed.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

I'm about 5 hours in and I'd strongly recommend warrior to the exclusion of the other, every fight requires doing a decent job rather than mashing 1 until they die.

There's been a total of two times I've had to come back at a higher level, the second spider variant ambush and the third level of the lighthouse, everything else has been completely doable with proper management. My party is pretty odd too, the dwarf warrior variant whose name I've forgotten, shaman, rune priest and freemage, so 3 casters and a tank. My advice is that earth magic is amazing early on, the shamans regeneration on top of the rune priests celestial armour spell is incredible, and now they're all higher level they all kick different kinds of rear end with the shaman mass poisoning, rune priest throwing aoe fireballs, and the freemage using Sparks to aoe massive groups down.

If you're experienced with these sorts of games, or have played etrian odyssey type games, warrior difficulty is constantly refreshing fun the whole way through so far .

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra

I'm a few hours in and everyone's hit the major points that I agree with. Combat is fun and satisfying, I like the grid/tile based movement as well as the turn based combat and the tactics that come with that. Several of the fights, even on Adventurer mode have been pretty challenging.

The story is terrible, generic fantasy though. It's missing all the charm that MM3 through 5 (Xeen) had, with all the goofy puzzles, math problems and stuff to figure out that was challenging but not impossible. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the game; they nailed the combat and world experience, but half the fun of the older DOS games was the random crazy poo poo you came across. It looks like there are going to be mod tools and hopefully there are some good writers out there to fill the gap.

Litler
Mar 15, 2013

Agreed, I loved the kookiness of Xeen. My younger brother and I still shout NPC lines at each other on occasion "Looking to train?" "Good job, good job good job, NOT TODAY". I'm trying to remember if I got the old M&M series free with M&M6 or one of the Heroes games. It was absolutely my best value game purchase of all time.

Suffered from extreme party-picking anxiety in this, was on the creation screen for about an hour. Went with Blademaster, Barb, Rune-Priest and Freemage, but I'm not sure about the lack of plate. I really want two-hand smashy and the blademaster, so really the only option is Merc, but he can't GM in any of them. If I pick a Crusader, I have to drop the Blademaster, blargh.

In that respect, they've done a pretty good job (similar to EO), you always feel like your party is missing that one extra thing to make it perfect.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

DrunkMidget posted:

The story is terrible, generic fantasy though.

This is mostly true, although I think that it's not for want of trying: based on just the first few hours of play it looks like the central conflict is fixing the boundaries of church and state, which could be quite fun in a world where angels are not only real but traditionally have been floating around advising the royal family, in between leading heavenly hosts.

The problem is that they have located the story in the world of Heroes of Might & Magic VI, which despite having a few interesting concepts can't convey them without dropping a half ton of exposition on your head, making everything horribly convoluted.

That said, it's not as if the story really matters in an MM-series game; it's just a peg on which to hang kill and fetch quests and the interesting business of combat and character development.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

where do they fit in the aliens?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.

Might and Magic X Spell List:
All values are taken with a Magic stat of 14 (Excepting Warfare but that doesn't matter) and a Magic school skill of 1. Average Damage Per Mana (APDM) is calculated by adding the maximum and minimum damage values and diving by 2 times the mana cost of the spell. As all boosts in the game are percentage based, the relative effectiveness of spells will remain unchanged given equal spell skill ranks. Classes refer to character classes which have access to that tier of spells. Unless otherwise specified, ranges refer only to the squares in front of the party.

Skills do have an impact, however. Classes which reach Grand Master can put a full 25 points into their skill as well as doubling what each point gives them. This means that a Grand Master's spells have 50 effective points to a Master's 15. A Grand Master will therefore cast their spells with a full 175% boost (so 275% of the Master's value).

Air Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Mercenary, Druid, Crusader, Ranger, Rune Priest, Hunter, Freemage, Shaman

Air Ward
Cost: 10
ADPM: N/A
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Air Resistance for 5 turns.

Sparks
Cost: 15
ADPM: 1.3 per enemy
Desc: Spreads sparks of lightning, dealing 13 - 27 points of damage (Air) to all enemies in adjacent tiles.

Wind Shield
Desc: Strong winds surround the party and increase each party member's Evade value against ranged attack by 13 for 3 turns.

Gust of Wind
ADPM: 1.06
Desc: A gust of wind starts blowing and deals 5 - 11 damage (Air) to target enemy within a range of 2. The target is pushed back and dealt 5 - 11 damage (Physical).

Expert Rank
Classes: Mercenary, Druid, Crusader, Ranger, Rune Priest, Hunter, Freemage, Shaman

Eagle Eye
Cost: 20
Desc: All party members are granted +5 Perception. Lasts 3 turns.

Lightning Bolt
ADPM: 2.2
Desc: Hurls a bolt of lightning on a target enemy within a range of 4, dealing 21 - 45 damage (Air).

Clear Mind
Desc: Clears the mind of target Feebleminded party member.

Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Crusader, Ranger, Rune Priest, Hunter, Freemage, Shaman

Chain Lightning
Cost: 30
ADPM: 0.88 per enemy
Desc: Hurls a bolt of lighting at a group of enemies within a range of 3. The bolt will jump and fork from one enemy to another in an electrical chain-reaction, dealing each time Lightning (Air) damage equal to 16 - 37 times the number of targets.

Cyclone
Cost: 50
ADPM: 0.93 per enemy per turn.
Desc: Summons a cyclone that hunts enemies for 4 turns and deals 33 - 60 damage (Air) to enemies or party members it reaches.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Freemage, Shaman

Thunderstorm
Cost: 50
ADPM: 0.8 per monster2 per turn. Best case 21.6 (3 monsters for 3 turns)
Desc: Summon a storm for 3 turns in front of the party. Each enemy in the storm is dealt damage (Air) equal to 31 - 49 times the number of affected enemies.

Earth Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Blade Dancer, Ranger, Freemage, Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Earth Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Earth Resistance for 5 turns.

Entangle
ADPM: 1.76
Desc: You deal 20 - 33 damage (Earth) to target enemy within a range of 3. This enemy can't move this turn.

Regeneration
ADPM: 3 health immediately, 7.5 after 3 turns
Desc: Restores 20 - 27 health to each party member immediately and 11 per turn during the next 3 turns.

Cure Poison
Desc: Withdraws Poison from target Poisoned party member.

Expert Rank
Classes: Blade Dancer, Ranger, Freemage, Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Poison Spray
ADPM: 0.9 per monster (initial), Additional 1 per monster per turn.
Desc: You poison each enemy in front of the party: they are dealt 7 - 20 damage (Earth) and a further 16 damage (Earth) on each following turn. Their evade value is decreased by 11.

Stone Skin
Desc: The skin of each party member hardens like stone. This increases Armour value by 8. Lasts 3 turns.

Strength of the Earth
Desc: Cures target Weakened party member.

Master Rank
Classes: Ranger, Freemage, Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Poison Cloud
ADPM: 0.925 per monster initial. Additional 1 per monster per turn.
Desc: Spreads a poison cloud in front of the party, lasting 3 turns, dealing 16 - 21 damage (Earth) and poisoning all enemies within. They are dealt 16 damage (Earth) on each following turn and their Evade value is decreased by 11.

Acid Splash
Cost: 25
ADPM: 1.6
Desc: Deals 33 - 47 damage (Earth) to target enemy in close combat and decreases his Armour Value by 50%.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Crushing Weight
Cost: 35
ADPM: Varies; 0.43 per 100 hp remaining.
Desc: Target enemy in close combat loses 15% of his current health.

Water Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Freemage, Druid, Shaman

Water Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Water Resistance for 5 turns.

Consciousness
Desc: Awakens target Sleeping party member.

Frozen Ground
Desc: You freeze the ground beneath a group of enemies within a range of 3. They can't move this turn.

Ice Bolt
ADPM: 1.76
Desc: Hurls a bolt of ice on target enemy within a range of 4, dealing 20 - 33 damage (Water) and decreasing it's strikes by 1 (to a minimum of 1) for the turn.

Expert Rank

Ice Prison
Desc: Target enemy in close combat gets captured inside an ice prison this turn. The enemy can't attack or move but also can't be attacked.

Circle of Winter
ADPM: 0.925 per monster
Desc: A circle of frost radiate from the party dealing 13 - 24 damage (Water) to each enemy around and decreasing their strikes by 1 (to a minimum of 1) for the turn.

Water Flows Freely
Desc: Cure target Paralysed party member.

Master Rank

Blizzard
ADPM: 2 per monster
Desc: Each enemy in front of the party is dealt 33 - 47 damage (Water) and strikes 1 time less (to a minimum of 1) this turn.

Liquid Membrane
Desc: You generate a transparent and fluid membrane which protects the party this turn, reducing incoming damage by 7%

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Shaman

Tsunami
Cost: 40
ADPM: 1.3 per monster
Desc: Deals 47 - 60 damage (Water) to all enemies in front of the party, pushing them away.

Fire Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Defender, Scout, Shaman, Freemage, Rune Priest

Fire Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Fire Resistance for 5 turns.

Torchlight
Cost: 5
Desc: A torch like flame improves your vision in darkness for 33 turns.

Fire Bolt
ADPM: 2
Desc: Hurls a bolt of fire on target enemy within a range of 4, dealing 33 - 47 damage (Fire).

Danger Sense
Desc: You sense the presence of nearby enemies and see them on the minimap. Lasts 33 turns.

Expert Rank
Classes: Defender, Scout, Shaman, Freemage, Rune Priest

Burning Determination
Desc: Burning determination bolsters the party, protecting them from getting paralysed, sleeping or stunned. Lasts 3 turns.

Inner Fire
Desc: All party members are granted +5 Might value. Lasts 3 turns.

Fireball
ADPM: 0.9 per monster
Desc: Hurls a ball of fire on a group of enemies within a range of 3, dealing 20 - 33 damage (Fire) to each of them.

Master Rank
Classes: Scout, Shaman, Freemage, Rune Priest

Fire Shield
Desc: All party members are protected by a Fire Shield dealing 5 - 8 retaliation damage (Fire) when the enemy strikes. Lasts 3 turns.

Fire Blast
Cost: 45
ADPM: 1.2 per monster
Desc: Shoots a blast of fire dealing 47 - 60 damage (Fire) to each enemy within a range of 3.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Rune Priest

Fire Burst
Cost: 60
ADPM: 1.325 per monster
Desc: Generates a storm of fire dealing 73 - 86 damage (Fire) to all enemies in adjacent tiles.

Light Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Druid, Scout, Freemage, Crusader, Rune Priest

Light Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Light Resistance for 5 turns.

Light Orb
Desc: A floating orb of light improves your vision in darkness for 33 turns.

Celestial Armour
ADPM: 2.4 health
Desc: A celestial armour protects the party from the next 60 damage they would be dealt during the next 3 turns.

Clairvoyance
Desc: The light of Elrath reveals nearby traps. Lasts 33 turns.

Expert Rank

Cleansing Light
Desc: Dispels any Curse on target party member.

Heal
ADPM: 4.9 health
Desc: Restores 67 - 80 health to target party member.

Radiant Weapon
ADPM: 1.35
Desc: A radiant weapon swings at target enemy in close combat. Target is dealt 7 - 20 damage (Light), 7 - 20 damage (Physical) and can't block this turn.

Master Rank

Resurrection
Desc: Target party member is resurrected

Heal Party
ADPM: 5.3
Desc: Restores 40 - 53 health to each party member.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Crusader, Rune Priest

Word of Light
Cost: 40
ADPM: 1.35 health, 0.34 per monster
Desc: A heavenly light deals 7 - 20 damage (Light) to each enemy within a range of 3 and restores 7 - 20 health to each party member.

Dark Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Freemage

Darkness Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Dark Resistance for 5 turns.

Dark Vision
Desc: The darkness discloses what it hides and improves your vision in darkness for 33 turns.

Shadow Cloak
Desc: You blend the party in shadows, making the next attack from any enemy miss during the next 5 turns.

Whispering Shadows
Desc: You sense the presence of secrets and able to discover them for 33 turns.

Expert Rank

Purge
Desc: Dispel all positive conditions from target enemy in close combat.

Drain Life
ADPM: 1.075, 0.375 health
Desc: You drain 16 - 27 health (Dark) from target enemy in close combat and transfer 7 - 8 of them to the party.

Sleep
Desc: Target enemy within a range of 1 falls asleep. They can't attack, move, block or evade but will wake up if dealt damage.

Master Rank

Terror
Desc: Target monster within a range of 4 is terrorised and runs away for 2 turns.

Agony
ADPM: Varies
Desc: Inflicts the Agony condition on target enemy within a range of 4. The target is dealt 8 - 11 damage (Dark) each time it is dealt damage (Physical).

Grand Master Rank

Weakness
ADPM: 0.15 per monster per turn
Desc: Each enemy around deals 20% less damage (Physical) and is dealt 7 damage (Dark) each turn. Lasts 2 turns.

Primordial Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Rune Priest, Druid, Freemage

Arcane Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +3 Resistance to all schools of magic for 5 turns.

Sundering
Desc: The armour of each enemy within a range of 3 is sundered: Armour value is decreased by 11.

Time Stasis
Desc: Target enemy in close combat is trapped in a timeless state. They can't be attacked nor attack or move during this turn.

Mana Surge
ADPM: 2.68
Desc: Next time target enemy within a range of 5 casts a spell, they are dealt 47 - 60 damage (Prime).

Expert Rank

Dispel Magic
Desc: Dispels all positive and negative conditions from all party members.

Heroic Destiny
Desc: All party members are granted +5 destiny. Lasts 3 turns.

Identify
Desc: Identifies one unidentified item in the inventory.

Master Rank

Implosion
ADPM: 2.14 + 1.2 per remaining target 100 hp per additional monster
Desc: Target enemy within a range of 3 is dealt 47 - 60 damage (Prime). Each other enemy close to it is dealt 30% damage (Prime), based on targets remaining health.

Spirit Beacon
Desc: Summons a beacon or teleports the party to the last summoned beacon.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Freemage

Hour of Power
Desc: The Might, Magic, Perception and Destiny values of all party members are increased by 3. Lasts 12 turns.

Warfare

Novice Rank
Classes: Ranger, Hunter, Crusader, Blade Dancer, Scout, Barbarian, Mercenary, Defender

Challenge
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. That enemy must attack you next turn.

Shatter
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. It's armour value is reduced by 11.

Expert Rank
Classes: Ranger, Hunter, Crusader, Blade Dancer, Scout, Barbarian, Mercenary, Defender

Skull Crack
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The target enemy can not cast spells until the end of his next turn.

Unstoppable Assault
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The first strike will not miss and can't be blocked.

Master Rank
Classes: Crusader, Blade Dancer, Scout, Barbarian, Mercenary, Defender

Intercept
Desc: Select a party member. You intercept all attacks aimed at that member during the enemy's next turn.

Furious Blow
Cost: All mana
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The first strike will deal 0.5 additional damage per mana consumed.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Mercenary, Defender

Taunt
Desc: All enemies will direct their attacks at this party member during their next turn.

Flawless Assault
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The first strike will not miss, can't be blocked and will be a critical. The target can not block until end of turn.

shalcar fucked around with this message at Jan 27, 2014 around 14:57

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

alarumklok posted:

I just opened up a chest and it had 4 relics in it. 3 of them are sidegrades to my current gear unleveled. Anyone else find a relic pinata or was I just extraordinarily lucky?

Maybe they were the four relics you get from spending reward points inside Uplay?

PS: Everybody should at least use any leftover points to unlock the bonus dungeon and the hireling at the very least. It's in the Uplay launcher under "Actions and Rewards".

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Someone just dropped the trainers on steam (incomplete). I'll spoil it.

Magical Focus GM -- Berenice (Elemental Forge Level 2, Secret Door)
Arcane Discipline Expert -- Sorpigal, Library OR Seahaven, Dojo
Arcane Discipline Master -- The Crag, House of Mojo
Axe Expert -- Sorpigal, Training Center
Axe Master -- The Crag, Training Center
Axe Grandmaster -- Agyn Peninsula, Navea Delta (farm house between Seahaven and Yon'chall Forest/Wyslin Jungle/Marsh)
Air Magic Expert -- Sorpigal, Training Center
Air Magic Master -- The Crag, Training Center
Dagger Expert - Sorpigal, Inn OR The Crag, Training Center
Dagger Master -- The Crag, Blacksmith (Largo)
Dual Wield Expert -- Seahaven, Dojo
Dual Wield Master -- The Lighthouse, Hamato (after defeating Mamushi)
Shield Expert -- Seahaven, Town Garrison OR The Crag, Training Center
Shield Master -- Portmeyron Castle, Gwendal
2H Expert -- Seahaven, Dojo OR The Crag, Training Center
Bow Expert -- Sorpigal, Training Center OR The Crag, Training Center
Crossbow Expert -- Sorpigal, Training Center
Mace Expert -- Sorpigal, Training Center OR The Crag, Training Center
Mace Master -- Seahaven, Naga Bank
Mace Grandmaster -- The Crag, Tao's House
Spear Expert -- Seahaven, Town Garrison OR The Crag, Training Center
Spear Master -- Seahaven, Eldgrim's House
Sword Expert -- Sorpigal, Training Center OR Seahaven, Dojo
Sword Master -- Portmeyron Castle, Jon Morgan
Two-Handed Weapons Expert -- Seahaven, Naga Bank
Magical Focus Expert -- Sorpigal, Magic Shop OR The Crag, Training Center
Magical Focus Master -- Seahaven, Arcane Library
Mysticism Expert -- Seahaven, Dojo
Endurance Expert -- The Crag, Training Center OR Seahaven, Bear's Residence
Endurance Master -- Sorpigal, Town Garrison (Maximus)
Dodge Expert -- Seahaven, Bear's Residence
Dodge Master -- The Crag, Armorsmith (Every)
Warfare Expert -- Sorpigal, Blacksmith
Heavy Armor Expert -- Sorpigal, Armorsmith
Heavy Armor Grandmaster -- Lost City, Level 4 (Sorli)
Medium Armor Expert -- Seahaven, Dojo OR Seahaven, Town Garrison
Medium Armor Master -- Seahaven, Armorsmith
Water Magic Expert -- Seahaven, Dojo
Water Magic Master -- The Crag, Fort
Water Magic Grandmaster -- The Crag, Kei (Coral Priestess standing on the docks)
Air Magic Expert -- Sorpigal, Training Center OR Seahaven, Dojo
Prime Magic Expert -- Agyn Peninsula, Tirya Bay (Wagon between Sorpigal and Portmeyron) OR Seahaven, Dojo
Fire Magic Expert -- Agyn Peninsula, Tirya Bay (Wagon between Sorpigal and Portmeyron)
Light Magic Expert -- Sorpigal, Church
Light Magic Master -- Seahaven, Church
Dark Magic Expert -- Seahaven, Inn
Dark Magic Grandmaster -- Agyn Peninsula, Halloth Grove (Luna)
Earth Magic Expert -- Agyn Peninsula, Tirya Bay (Wagon between Sorpigal and Portmeyron)
Earth Magic Master -- The Crag, Healing Lodge
Earth Magic Grandmaster -- Agyn Peninsula, Yon'chall Forest (Caranthir)

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

gschmidl posted:

Got it! In case anyone's interested, here's the deluxe box contents. The postcards are on surprisingly nice paper, even.

Mine arrived today. The manual has a cd-key inside it and yet the game was added to my account the moment I pre-ordered the boxed copy. It's also now the full game (I had previously uninstalled it so I reinstalled yesterday). I even put the cd-key into the 'Unlock content' screen because I thought I had to do that to unlock the full version against my account but it says I already own it. Surely they can't have sent out specific cd-key sealed copies to each correct person. Does this mean that each boxed copy is another copy of the game on top of the original order?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

shalcar posted:

Might and Magic X Spell List:
All values are taken with a Magic stat of 14 (Excepting Warfare but that doesn't matter) and a Magic school skill of 1. Average Damage Per Mana (APDM) is calculated by adding the maximum and minimum damage values and diving by 2 times the mana cost of the spell. As all boosts in the game are percentage based, the relative effectiveness of spells will remain unchanged given equal spell skill ranks. Classes refer to character classes which have access to that tier of spells. Unless otherwise specified, ranges refer only to the squares in front of the party.

Skills do have an impact, however. Classes which reach Grand Master can put a full 30 points into their skill as well as doubling what each point gives them. This means that a Grand Master's spells have 60 effective points to a Master's 23. A Grand Master will therefore cast their spells with a full 185% boost (so 285% of the Master's value).

This is incredible, thanks. I'll have less fear of missing out now, though I'll be able to cover most of that by running a Freemage and Rune Priest anyway.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013

Downloaded off Steam last night. Loving the game so far though I think I'm going to start over to redo my party. My initial party was Mercenary/Blade Dancer/Rune Priest/Hunter, but it annoys me that Merc can't Grandmaster in any weapon and the Hunter seems a bit useless to me so far (Party is level 6). For a new party I'm thinking Crusader, Rune Priest, Shaman, and either Blade Dancer or Defender.

Ugh it didn't even occur to me to check for a boxed version. Is the map it comes with cloth or paper? If cloth, I think I'm going to have to buy a 2nd copy of this game...

Litler
Mar 15, 2013

Is there any way to set a custom resolution? Can't run the game at my monitor's native res (2560x1600), 16:9 equivalent would be fine, just need to get rid of the washed-out blurriness.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

it's the journey
not the destination
as we know

markgreyam posted:

Mine arrived today. The manual has a cd-key inside it and yet the game was added to my account the moment I pre-ordered the boxed copy. It's also now the full game (I had previously uninstalled it so I reinstalled yesterday). I even put the cd-key into the 'Unlock content' screen because I thought I had to do that to unlock the full version against my account but it says I already own it. Surely they can't have sent out specific cd-key sealed copies to each correct person. Does this mean that each boxed copy is another copy of the game on top of the original order?

That's a good question, yeah. The FAQ did say you'd need to enter the key to unlock the game past Act 1, but like for you it told me "you already have this game" for both M&M6 and X.

e: someone else says:

quote:

Yes, it's easy to miss, go INSIDE the game, and activate it in the MAIN MENU, under EXTRAS.
(not in the Uplay, in the game)

e2: but there's no option I can see there either...

gschmidl fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2014 around 15:52

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

He took his vorpal sword in hand,
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thou

Litler posted:

Agreed, I loved the kookiness of Xeen. My younger brother and I still shout NPC lines at each other on occasion "Looking to train?" "Good job, good job good job, NOT TODAY".

I am right there with you on this. The palindrome monks are also something that will never leave my brain either.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Litler posted:

Is there any way to set a custom resolution? Can't run the game at my monitor's native res (2560x1600), 16:9 equivalent would be fine, just need to get rid of the washed-out blurriness.

As far as I could tell, I could only do it from the options.ini file. Once I manually set it, it worked great.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Underwhelmed posted:

I am right there with you on this. The palindrome monks are also something that will never leave my brain either.

I believe you mean the Drawkcab Monks.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Streaming again. On my way to The Crag.
http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Merrill Grinch posted:

Maybe they were the four relics you get from spending reward points inside Uplay?

PS: Everybody should at least use any leftover points to unlock the bonus dungeon and the hireling at the very least. It's in the Uplay launcher under "Actions and Rewards".

Haha, I'm a genius. That was probably it. I just clicked them all without reading it and figured I'd find out what they added when I saw it in game.

Ranged is pretty underwhelming so far for Warrior difficulty. I'm not focusing on it, but I'm not neglecting it either; my scout is a few points from master, and two of the dudes are expert, with a lag of about 10-15 points of perception behind their main stat, and all of their equipment is up to date. It just does a rather negligible amount of damage to enemies, like <5% negligible. I guess you either need to go broke or go home, because I'd probably rather just spend those points on shoring up defense if I had a second chance.

Speaking of defense: evasion is really strong. My mercenary is stacking it. I can taunt things every turn and as long as a regen is ticking, she just goes back to full before something else manages to hit her again.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

Machines truly make the best martyrs.

crowbb posted:

it annoys me that Merc can't Grandmaster in any weapon

I think the biggest advantage of the Merc (as a tank) is that they're the only class that can both master Shields and grandmaster Evasion, both of which provide retaliation strikes when you're attacked. Couple that with the Windblade talent that provides a guaranteed first-strike crit and the master Sword talent that provides a bonus strike every time you land a crit, and I'm thinking the character will end up being a whirlwind of steel.

That's the plan, at least. I've only barely completed Chapter 1 so far.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008
I poked a badger with a spoon.

I've pretty much decided to go with Freemage & Runepriest. I was leaning towards a RP but what I've heard here has cemented it. I like to have as broad an array of abilities as I can, and the freemage really fits the bill and the runepriest can GM several spell schools that he can't. It's basically the traditional old fantasy staple of wizard & cleric.

What I kind of don't like is that the RP is the only class that can GM fire, and Freemage is the only class that can even use dark magic. I can't say that those facts didn't factor into my decision, but I don't think that that is solid design. The RP thing doesn't bother me too much as GM means that they can cast one spell that nobody else can, but cutting off a whole school to all but one class seems bonkers. No other school is like that.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Gyoru posted:

Streaming again. On my way to The Crag.
http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

Your stream quality is really good. Are you using the built in streaming functionality in Uplay?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Magitek posted:

I think the biggest advantage of the Merc (as a tank) is that they're the only class that can both master Shields and grandmaster Evasion, both of which provide retaliation strikes when you're attacked. Couple that with the Windblade talent that provides a guaranteed first-strike crit and the master Sword talent that provides a bonus strike every time you land a crit, and I'm thinking the character will end up being a whirlwind of steel.

That's the plan, at least. I've only barely completed Chapter 1 so far.

That's... a interesting take on the Merc. Instead of going full might, going Might-Destiny in order to get as much crit as possible as well as much evade as possible in order to max bonus strikes. That's not bad at all.

I still find the blade-dancer 'simpler', given that it's all about being a whirlwind of crit/evades/blocks (from dual-wielding). You then choose to either max the numbers of attack via either daggers (three attacks per each dagger equipped) or just swords.

I am still disappointed the Merc doesn't have Grandmaster in any weapons, but your take does seem to make him better.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Is there a list of what companions do what, or do I have to hire/checkout/reload?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

dhamster posted:

Your stream quality is really good. Are you using the built in streaming functionality in Uplay?

No, I'm using OBS.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

He took his vorpal sword in hand,
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thou

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

I believe you mean the Drawkcab Monks.

I could remember some of their verses, but I could not remember their name. I really need to finish my recently started playthrough of those games.

I tried changing up my party a little, a Crusader, Ranger, Shaman, and Rune Priest are destroying the first area, even on warrior. The ranger is the weak link here, but drat if I am not a sucker for bows, I should probably just swap them out for a blade dancer.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm quite happy with my three caster party, you can really nuke the poo poo out of everything, my Paladin is basically dead weight right now

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

it's the journey
not the destination
as we know

I'm just completely paralzyed at the party creation screen. No idea what to go with or which skills to choose. I may sit out a week and wait for some tips before I screw myself over. The default party didn't seem so bad in the early access, but they're just terrible now.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

For merc builds, I went 2h swords, and am going might 1/destiny 2/vitality 1 for stats. Master 2h makes destiny better, and they have GM dodge, so it's a pretty efficient stat. I hit for about ~30% less than my barbarian, but I'm considerably tankier and I crit more often and for a shitload more (due to a free 2h swing). She's not promoted yet, but I imagine 2h over sword/shield would be a lot more damage out of the free attack.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

uPlay is such a steaming pile of poo poo, I registered the game and played a bit, now it wont recognize I own any games. Anyone else encountering this?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Gyoru posted:

No, I'm using OBS.

I figured, since even on the "high quality" setting my stream wasn't looking too good. I was just curious to see if there was some tricky way to get the quality up. Oh well, back to OBS!

TheRam posted:

uPlay is such a steaming pile of poo poo, I registered the game and played a bit, now it wont recognize I own any games. Anyone else encountering this?

Have you put in the CD key? It should be stored in your Steam library. I was also having some issues with some stuff not working until I closed UPlay and opened it back up again. Beyond that I dunno.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

gschmidl posted:

I'm just completely paralzyed at the party creation screen. No idea what to go with or which skills to choose. I may sit out a week and wait for some tips before I screw myself over. The default party didn't seem so bad in the early access, but they're just terrible now.

Half the fun of the M&M games is just making your own dudes by winging it and getting it to work. Get some some beefcake melee & at least one caster that can heal well, and you'll probably be fine. I went with a dwarf tank, an orc melee bruiser, a freemage and a druid for healing and it seems to work fine in the harder difficulty.

For me, checking everything from a guide would just kill half of the fun in discovering stuff, but there's one thing I wish I would have known right from the start - you need primal magic expert for an identify spell, otherwise identifying stuff at the merchant will cost a ton.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

You may have to metaphorically make a deal with Mort. And by "Mort", I mean Robot Mort. And by "metaphorically", I mean get your coat.

I know, I know, Reddit, but the guys who made M&MX are doing an AMA here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._just_released/

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

Aight, I'm in, if anyone wants to come yell at me because I don't know what I'm doing do it!
twitch.tv/elrammog

MegaCharger
Jul 11, 2006
Animate

Just finished the elemental forge quest, now am kinda stuck. I'm supposed to go to the craig to see the pirate king, and also find lord kilburn to identify a letter. But I can't get past the bridge to head into seahaven with a guard standing on it saying they need time to clean up the mess after a brigand attack. Where the hell do I go from here? I pretty much did everything in this area except clearing out the crypt because the ghosts rock my world.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I guess you could say he's...
hot under the collar.
Heh.

Man, I'm REALLY digging this game Only played for about an hour, and it's scratching all the right itches. It's basically what I was hoping for!

Super-basic question on the topic of healing: I rolled a custom party but might re-build it. Right out of the gate, nobody had healing magic (I had all schools of magic except Shadow covered, I believe). I went to the library and saw that there was a regeneration spell, which would do okay I suppose. Is regen basically the only healing spell early on, or are there some other types? Just curious, because at present, that'd leave me with only one healer.

Right now, I have a Crusader, Blade dancer, Rune Priest, and Shaman.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

There are only two S.T.A.R.S. members left now: A large rocket launcher, and myself. We don't know where Barry is.

Geop posted:

Man, I'm REALLY digging this game Only played for about an hour, and it's scratching all the right itches. It's basically what I was hoping for!

Super-basic question on the topic of healing: I rolled a custom party but might re-build it. Right out of the gate, nobody had healing magic (I had all schools of magic except Shadow covered, I believe). I went to the library and saw that there was a regeneration spell, which would do okay I suppose. Is regen basically the only healing spell early on, or are there some other types? Just curious, because at present, that'd leave me with only one healer.

Right now, I have a Crusader, Blade dancer, Rune Priest, and Shaman.

Regeneration is the only healing spell I use and I'm into Act 2.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.

So I guess this game is a must-buy if I loved Legend of Grimmrock and played Eyes of the Beholder-like game back in the day?

Edit: Is the digital deluxe worth the extra /2 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron lion force
Sep 15, 2010

ShiroTheSniper posted:

So I guess this game is a must-buy if I loved Legend of Grimmrock and played Eyes of the Beholder-like game back in the day?

Edit: Is the digital deluxe worth the extra /2 ?

Maybe, but keep in mind that both Grimrock and the Beholder series use real time combat. This is turn based. Still, you'll probably enjoy it.

«20 »