Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I was only really "aware" of this album in the past, but now I am really quite excited for it. I haven't listened to Daft Punk in a while, so I think it's time to start up the hype machine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Thanks to this thread, I now have a huge playlist of stuff to check out that I hadn't heard before, and it prompted me to revisit SebastiAn. loving hell this thread moves fast. My biggest complaint about the album is that it just doesn't justify it's length. If I'm not mistaken, Alive 2007 is around 80 minutes long, but it is also 80 minutes of pure gold. The same cannot be said for RAM. I hope it grows on me a bit more, but it's definitely not as immediate as I had anticipated after I fell in love with Get Lucky. Like 1 million others have said: I am so excited to hear the remixes from this album, please share the good stuff in this thread because I am rubbish at finding them! I'm hoping this album will be grower once the gulf between expectations and reality sort of narrows a bit. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed that it isn't more electronic to be honest. I mostly listen to guitar driven music, or music driven by "real instruments", but I am really into electronic music right now, and hearing what Daft Punk are capable of when they right electronic music, I am disappointed that RAM doesn't show more of that. Despite this, I kind of have to respect them for taking an artistic risk and going in the direction they did, even if I am not 100% down with the direction they did choose.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Ras Het posted:

True, but think of it this way: Dream Theater, Radiohead, Animal Collective or w/e fans tend to, like, understand something about their respective "scenes". Or is that too optimistic? Like those kids listen to indie, they read P4K, the progmetalheads love Opeth and Rush? It's part of a bigger continuum. But Daft Punk fans are in this bizarre bloghouse bubble where only things remixed by Fred Falke exist. Like in this thread you've got people going "I don't really know what disco is" and "house sucks", which is just loving absurd. My dad would have more to say about music to the Daft Punk dudes than most of their fans. So it comes across as wayyyy more cultish than with any other band (except that Emily whatshername but there's only like four of them).

I get what you're saying but I think Daft Punk have a wider appeal than DT/Radiohead/AC. I think they're more comparable to a band like Metallica, who have a lot of casual fans that only really know Enter Sandman, and aren't really familiar with or interested in thrash metal, or metal in general at large. Hell, they might not even be interested in the rest of Metallica's discography. Metallica have a lot of fans that will blindly defend them whether they know much about the scene that they belong to, or arguably used to belong to or not.

Of course the thread/internet at large is going to be flooded with reactionary opinions to begin with, and a lot of people will probably either warm to, or go off the album over the next few weeks. If the reactionary discussion is too infuriating, I'd wait a couple of weeks then jump to the end of the thread. People are going to be spouting strong opinions that others won't agree with, and come off to other people as misinformed for a while. I will admit, I know nothing about house/disco at large, but I don't think that prevents me from evaluating the album on it's own merits. (Although I haven't made any sweeping statements about how RAM fits into the genre at large, or any statements about how the rest of the genre sucks, so...)

I find it kind of silly calling people out on their ill thought out praise or criticism of the album when it has only been widely available for 24 hours. I'm sure we'll all be able to have a more critical conversation about it in a week or so. Equally, I guess there are arguments to be made for "if you don't have anything constructive to say about the album yet, refrain from posting".

For what it's worth, I am really enjoying it, despite the questionable pacing/length.

e: Also, can we leave the "you think x so you must have bad taste" discourse to last.fm shoutboxes and youtube please?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

Pitchfork has hyped, done obviously payed for features, then dropped artists before. See: Lana Del Ray last year and MIA the year before.

They did it with How To Destroy Angels. They premiered a load of stuff for them and then slapped a 6.2 on the album.

• Locked thread