Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I wonder why people are so confused about the hype for this really. Why are people so hyped and why is the hype out of control in some crowds? Because Daft Punk is one of the one of the greatest house acts of all time? Because Discovery is all that was magical about a pre-9/11 world? Because Alive 2007 was a existential event for anyone who went to see it?

Because its been 8 years since their last real album? I don't think most of us even care if the album is AMAZING in every way. We just want to hear the guys making their own music again, we want to see the robots do their thing, see if maybe they have come up with an answer to the question "Are they human after all?". The album doesn't need to redefine music or whatever, it just needs to be the artists we love having a good time and doing what they love. They have paid their musical dues. Just go back and listen to Discovery right now all the way through on your best headphones, come back to this thread, and say you don't get the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
How would some random radio station get such a lovely version of this song? It didn't even have some of the guitar parts we have heard in the interviews.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Well if that really is the final radio edit, the vocals are pretty awful to listen to and it is a much less interesting song than it could have been.

Edit: okay maybe that is a bit harsh, it sounds better when I use a better audio setup. Still not sure about the vocals and the lack of a switch up in guitar playing. I thought there would be more to it.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 18, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Grawl posted:

You are not a DP fan if that's the case.

Haha, yeah, I consider Discovery the culmination of the 20th century and saw Tron on opening night only because Daft Punk was in it, I'm not a Daft Punk fan, thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Unless by DP you mean double penetration, in which case no I don't want two dicks in my rear end. Not a fan of that at all.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Calculon posted:

Well, I kind of know that, I just felt in this case it sounded jarring in an unfinished way, not in an intentional "lets keep this interesting" way. Maybe a proper 320 release will change my mind.

Once you go FLAC, you never go back.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

the black husserl posted:

The pharell synth robot is clearly singing "We've come too far, to give up who we are". He was not programmed for originality.

I was hoping he was saying "Lets raise the ball" Like an old disco throwback. I also heard "We've come to far, to devolve who we are" Which would be an interesting lyrical choice. But nah, pretty straight forward, which is alright, because Daft Punk's songs have cheesy but wonderful lyrics in them.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
"What keeps the planet spinnin?"

Pharell, you are 40 years old and you don't understand inertia?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

collin the weak posted:

I'm not sure you can have a higher understanding of inertia than "The force from the beginning."

This is actually a good point. I am sorry I questioned you Pharrell.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Kerk posted:

If they arent down with it, gently caress them.

Really hoping this album ushers in an updated standard of quality within dance/pop music.

I'm a huge Daft Punk fan, but lol, just enjoy the music, this isn't going to change any paradigms, its just a group you like making music you like.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

SyRauk posted:

That's not supposed to be a nod to THX-1138?

Not everyone has seen every George Lucas film. Although they might know THX as the OH MY GOD MY loving EARS I JUST WANTED TO SEE A MOVIE! splash screen.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Kerk posted:

Its obviously a stretch but hey, one can hope! I wouldn't mind going back to the way pop music sounded in the early 2000's.

No, you really do not. It wasn't all Moby and Outkast.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

SyRauk posted:

I'm very curious to hear the track on the album that they worked on with Animal Collective's Panda Bear.

context: http://obsession.nouvelobs.com/musique/20130418.OBS6224/random-access-memories-par-daft-punk.html

Just translate the page for the rest of the tracks

This album is starting to sound really high concept. I'm seriously intrigued, if they can take these concepts and make music that people want to dance to/listen to then I will be very impressed.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I thought this was a Daft Punk thread.

Yeah, playing this loudly on decent speakers with a lower quality version of it will sound 100 times better than a 320 MP3 or a WAV file on your iphone earbuds.

I really like the hand claps in this, its a small thing, but they have this really wet sound that is pleasing. Its clearly not the same hand clap sample that has become like the Wilhelm Scream of dance music.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Yeah I heard it as an outdo on NPR.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

AwwJeah posted:

I want to like these collaborator videos but they're all giving me the impression that the album is going to be a bunch of talented people blowing smoke up their own asses.

Yeah I sortof get this impression too. I think the mitigating factor here is that many of these guys only worked on one song, some of them several years ago, so they are really just talking about the experience they had with Daft Punk and how much they enjoyed working with a set of artists they love. It's impossible for them to give their impressions on the album itself.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Get Lucky has already peaked. Number 17 this week. Awww shucks.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Okay say what you will about the songs themselves, you can not deny that they are nearly singular in the field of sound engineering and creating sounds. drat.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Thank god their career didn't end with Human After All.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Whatever the case, its clearly the most derisive album of all time. Holy hell are people on opposite ends of the spectrum about this.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Hahah I never thought i'd hear Jazz in a Daft Punk Album. This owns.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

^^Not everyone follows every piece of Daft Punk news and many are probably coming into this blind^^

Album has Phillip-Glass-Esque sounding material, straight up jazz, aboriginal sounding stuff, fantasia-esque soundscapes, classical strings, funk guitar, a myriad of drumming styles, Georgio Moroder. This album contains pretty much every style of music of the past 100 years in it for god's sake.

This album will piss so many people off.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Mike_V posted:

lmao are you KIDDING me?

No? I actually like the album, but if you think that the response to this wont be at least somewhat negative then you have your head in the clouds.

Unless you are responding to my hyperbole of "every musical style within the past 100 years", in which case, yes, I am exaggerating.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Please point out where the 'aboriginal sounding stuff' is on this album.

Okay my bad, I thought I heard some didgeridoos on Motherboard but it was just my poor quality headphones.

Also how much does a week long contract with a wedgie giver even cost? I'ts been awhile since I've had to familiarize myself with the going rate.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 13, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

This album effectively mixes 70s disco, Steely Dan, prog rock, and house music. So basically it's like all of my favorite things on one record :allears:

I get bummed out when I see people talk about "cheese." Maybe I'm just immune, because, again, my interests are Rush and Night on Disco Mountain, but to me it just sounds like really lush and organic production. I like that in my music. It's why I like ELO and The Moody Blues. This album is like that but coming from a house background instead of R&B or rock. It's pretty fascinating.

e: oh my god, Fragments of Time is loving fantastic. I really want to hear a version of it with Donald Fagan on vocals.

Obviously I'm a fan of Steely Dan (see the Steely Dan Megathread) but i'm glad i'm not the only one who heard some influence there, especially in "Georgio By Moroder".

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well gently caress. According to Boys Noize's Twitter, Romanthony died a few hours ago :smith:

R.I.P.

He'll live on forever. One More Time is, without a doubt, one of the best singles I've ever heard in my life. It has been for over a decade. And I doubt anyone will stop listening to it anytime soon. It has a definite timeless quality to it.

This is so sad.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 19, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I just looked at the demographics for Get Lucky on YouTube. I find it interesting that it is being listened to mostly by males ages 18-45. Not much love from the little old ladies.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
If you guys are really liking Giorgio Moroder it might be worth checking out his contemporary Vangelis. Vangelis was more ambient music oriented but was equally excellent.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
It's interesting how Touch is at first a soliloquy with Paul William's character awakening from a deep slumber, slowly regaining his senses and remembering what made life so beautiful.

Juxtaposed with his collaborators video in which he confesses that he had lost a great deal of his life to drugs and alcohol, its a very personal piece for him.

Then the robots come in, welcoming him back, telling him there is still a place for him in the world, and that love is the answer. After the first half of the album essentially being about the robots loneliness, finally finding a friend in Paul Williams is quite touching. I imagine after the past 20 years of his career, or lack of one, being approached by much younger people like Daft Punk to work on a project must have been really wonderful, and I think the song captures that feeling beautifully.

One thing I like about this album is that all the songs are in some way deeply personal. Even though on the surface some may not appear that way at all.

I also think it is cool how the album came out just before the 100th anniversary of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Considering the conflicting feelings of fans and the bitter opinions of some, its an interesting parallel.

Whether this album will be considered as influential as The Rite of Spring I have my doubts, but only time will tell. Sometimes being influential isn't always about pushing into the future, or coming up with something new. Daft Punk did that with Discovery. Sometimes you can be influential just by having presence, and by people consuming what you create. This album at first sounds rather radical and hard to listen to at first, much like the Rite of Spring was at the time. While RAM didn't cause a riot, it definitely did upset a few people. I also think many of the people it upset at first (myself included), have come around to liking it on some level, or even loving it.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 7, 2013

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

PonchAxis posted:

I can't wait for everyone in this thread to get disappointed again.

I drank to cool-aid over 10 years ago, at this point Daft Punk could come out with ten and a half minutes of white noise and I'd give them money for it. To some that is sad, yes, but that never stopped Mets fans from buying tickets.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Wow they sure uh, did a key change there...So talent.

If all of their remixes are as uninspired as this I don't really know what to say. I enjoyed the opening chord progression but then it just went nowhere.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Omnikin posted:

Sorta relevant but I'm posting it because I luuuurve Girl Talk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqY-6IBV1YM

Wow, I thought I was tired of Girl Talk, but he managed to get me to like "Get Lucky" again.

Also reminded me that Micheal Jackson is timeless. MJ and DP never working together is one of the great tragedies of history.

• Locked thread