Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

kuskus posted:

That's pretty interesting. Everyone I know (mind you- I'm counting on one hand) had theirs shipped from California. City of Industry maybe.

Oh good, if its shipping from CoI, I'll probably get mine within a day or so once it does ship. Dunno why I suddenly got the bug after more than a year, but I'm seriously jonesing to have the loving thing on my wrist now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Good news for iOS users, iOS7 is going to let developers access the Notification Center API over Bluetooth!

Which means no more digging through settings to get all iOS notifications to work.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I just got this in the mail. It's $8 on Amazon and comes in a variety of colors.

Futura Weather face, possible with httpebble (App Store | Play), which rules.

Others' favorites from the Replacement watch bands thread:

Fossil Heirloom, Eichmueller black steel, and NATO James Bond 9-stripe (history)

No new notification ease on iOS 7 so far; I bet the Pebble app has to be updated to use it explicitly.
Seems like you can have fun with Smartwatch+ if you're jailbroken.

This guy is on a mission to make a Pebble Watch Face SDK Tutorial series; parts 1-3 are up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Does anyone know what the rough eta for pre-orders is at this point? My coworker's got one and since I just switched to Android, I'm definitely excited about looking at one, but if it's going to be six-eight months or longer I'll probably just wait until it's more easily available.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Falcon2001 posted:

Does anyone know what the rough eta for pre-orders is at this point? My coworker's got one and since I just switched to Android, I'm definitely excited about looking at one, but if it's going to be six-eight months or longer I'll probably just wait until it's more easily available.

Depends on the colors. I was under the impression that if you ordered black or red it would ship within 1-2 weeks since they have excess supplies now... whereas I have a pre-ordered white watch from January that is still not shipped.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I think it depends on when you pre-ordered too. I think most people that are getting their pebble now pre-ordered last year.

I was an idiot and didn't back this because I had a Windows Phone. Now I'm on Android and backed it around March so I probably have a long wait still :(

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I made a game:

http://www.mypebblefaces.com/view?fID=4252&aName=malrobot&pageTitle=Falldown&auID=4736

:). Let me know if you like it! I am going to make the ball look like an actual ball soon rather than a brick (grr... graphics_fill_circle creates a rectangle rather than a circle).

My current high score is 1990... It was getting pretty hard around then :).

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 24, 2013

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

mcpringles posted:

I think it depends on when you pre-ordered too. I think most people that are getting their pebble now pre-ordered last year.

I was an idiot and didn't back this because I had a Windows Phone. Now I'm on Android and backed it around March so I probably have a long wait still :(

They are killing themselves with their slow manufacturing and will not be able to compete with the other wearable devices that have already expanded upon the Pebble's basic design.

There's the Kreyos: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kreyos-the-only-smartwatch-with-voice-gesture-control

and you bet your rear end Sony is keeping at it: http://androidandme.com/2013/06/news/sony-smartwatch-2-unveiled-the-perfect-companion-for-your-android-device/

then there are all the other companies making similar devices that will be unveiled before this years end and turning up next year in stores.

Point is, don't wait for something that will be obsolete before it's even on your wrist.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SyRauk posted:

They are killing themselves with their slow manufacturing and will not be able to compete with the other wearable devices that have already expanded upon the Pebble's basic design.
Honestly, as soon as a smartwatch with equal or better functionality and battery life is released by a company that actually understands how to handle customer relations comes out, Pebble as a company are hosed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to get the iPhone to not think that Pebble can play audio? It seems to want to send Siri to it which doesn't work and makes Siri lovely.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TetsuoTW posted:

Honestly, as soon as a smartwatch with equal or better functionality and battery life is released by a company that actually understands how to handle customer relations comes out, Pebble as a company are hosed.

Yep. Pebble's stuff has been out in the open for over a year now, and any major player has had that long to see what Pebble was going to bring to the table and get out ahead of it. It's been five months since Pebble shipped, so any competitor has also had plenty of time to see Pebble's shortcomings and attempt to address that in their own product.

I put in a $0 Pebble preorder last week, but I've decided I will not follow through when it's time to pay. I realized they probably won't get to me until the end of the summer if not even later. It also occurred to me that by the fall, there will likely be multiple companies with better watches and the capability to actually ship them.

My bet is on Apple launching a watch as a companion for the next iPhone, and moving more watches in a weekend than Pebble could do in a year.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
If Pebble can get its final SDK (access to magnetometer/accelerometer, debugging/logging support, an emulator would be nice) out and finish the backlog of Kickstarters / pre-orders in the next few months, I think they're in a pretty good position. They have a pretty good developer community already (check out how many Pebble apps there are on https://play.google.com/store/search?q=pebble+watch&c=apps - 60 and http://www.mypebblefaces.com/ - 520) and the core OS / functionality is really solid (Apple-like focus on making the basic use cases work *really* well). Of course, they're not yet into the *millions* of users it takes to build a sustainable device ecosystem... but they're much further along than any other startups for sure.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The user comment history for /u/teampebble on reddit gives more recent insight than many other resources. They tend to respond there too, and in a less curt way than their founder.

I like my Pebble and don't fear it getting rapidly outmoded (similar to an old iPod nano, it will remain useful so long as battery repair isn't improbable), I just wish demand was satisfied. It should be in Target by now.

e:spelling

kuskus fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 27, 2013

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maybe they should try posting on Kickstarter or answering emails for a change instead of loving about on Reddit.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Google is making an Android console and a smartwatch as well.

I was wondering when they would enter the fray. I can't wait to see the crazy marketing campaigns all of these companies are about to unload on our faces.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

:siren: Pebble coming to Best Buy next week! :siren:

It's like they saw what happened with the Ouya and decided they wanted in as well :v: Though Best Buy will only have Black, while I think the only KS color that hasn't been shipped yet is White. I've had my Orange for a few weeks now.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Have they actually finished shipping all the Kickstarter orders? I can't imagine them stocking a single Best Buy if they can't even ship out all the preorders and Kickstarter orders after so long

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Maybe they used the kickstarter money to get setup for Best Buy rather than making watches for the people who kick-started them.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

waffle posted:

Have they actually finished shipping all the Kickstarter orders? I can't imagine them stocking a single Best Buy if they can't even ship out all the preorders and Kickstarter orders after so long

They haven't filled all the backers' orders, but they have sent all black Pebbles. Hence why black pre-orders are shipping already, and why Best Buy will have only black watches until August. It makes sense to start fulfilling new orders for a certain color and start opening other distribution channels if they have an abundance of the first type produced, even if some of the other colors aren't even made yet (I think white is the only one that hasn't been officially announced as entering production). I don't know if they're still producing more "fulfilled" colors alongside the unfinished runs like grey and white, or if they're just working from existing stock and focusing on finishing the backers orders with new production. I would bet that Best Buy will only have like 6 per store at first anyway, unless they've cranked up production of the earlier colors.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 2, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I put in a $0 pre-order for a black model a week and a half ago. I take it that if they have enough stock to put these things on Best Buy shelves on Sunday, that they'd be offering to sell me mine soon?

I was assuming production was backlogged till kingdom come, given they quoted absolutely nothing in the way of ship dates.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Safe and Secure! posted:

Maybe they used the kickstarter money to get setup for Best Buy rather than making watches for the people who kick-started them.

The only color they haven't finished (I think) is White. I think they are just going to tell the people with $0 preorders they can just go to Best Buy if they want it in black.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

I put in a $0 pre-order for a black model a week and a half ago. I take it that if they have enough stock to put these things on Best Buy shelves on Sunday, that they'd be offering to sell me mine soon?

I was assuming production was backlogged till kingdom come, given they quoted absolutely nothing in the way of ship dates.

For what it's worth, I still haven't heard back from them and I preordered black in January.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Excluding white, every KS backer I know has theirs as of yesterday.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

waffle posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha of course not.

On a similar topic, has anyone heard any resolution to the "shipping to Germany is all hosed up" beyond their vague "we're trying, honest!" from the final KS update?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

For what it's worth, I still haven't heard back from them and I preordered black in January.

Did you pre-pay? I can't remember when they changed to doing the $0 preorder option. I thought that they were actually taking real money from people, for some period of time after the Kickstarter closed.

Kazy posted:

The only color they haven't finished (I think) is White. I think they are just going to tell the people with $0 preorders they can just go to Best Buy if they want it in black.

Their post here basically says you can still wait, or you can buy it at Best Buy and ignore the "go pay for your preorder" email when it comes.

Also, that same post says they've shipped all but white to Kickstarter backers, they have enough white on hand to ship 58% of their preorders at present, and some future production run will finish that off.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
It looks like Best Buy will carry the black model in stores and online this Sunday, and that the red one will be coming sometime in August.

I actually really want a red one instead of a black one, so I think I'll wait this out. Probably better for me to considering I've already made a few big purchases in the past few days. Going for the black one on Sunday is out of the question even if I wanted that color.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I pre ordered a black 4 months ago. Kind of annoying they are sending them to Best Buy now instead of people who have been waiting forever. I can't really complain though because this means I can go buy one on Sunday.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

mcpringles posted:

I pre ordered a black 4 months ago. Kind of annoying they are sending them to Best Buy now instead of people who have been waiting forever. I can't really complain though because this means I can go buy one on Sunday.

Now we know where all the stock and Kick starter money went.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

The Pebble's appearance initially reminded me of those sunglasses you could buy from Pizza Hut in the 80's, so I had to make this. watchface-generator.de is a lot of fun.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mcpringles posted:

Good luck. I believe it was up in the Pebble forum thread I linked a few posts ago where someone said their local Best Buy had been allocated two or three. So if every store only gets a handful, it's going to go fast, especially when there's a ton of people who have waited months in the preorder queue only to effectively be told to go piss up a rope and go to Best Buy.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Good luck. I believe it was up in the Pebble forum thread I linked a few posts ago where someone said their local Best Buy had been allocated two or three. So if every store only gets a handful, it's going to go fast, especially when there's a ton of people who have waited months in the preorder queue only to effectively be told to go piss up a rope and go to Best Buy.

I ended up ordering one online, should be here next week. I just checked and looks like they're sold out now. I'm sure ebay will get flooded with best buy pebbles so prices should go down to reasonable levels for anyone who can't buy one at Best Buy.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Starting to think I should have ordered online last night while they were in stock rather than wanting instant gratification and buying in store, if quantities will be that limited.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
In response to irate people laughing at the Best Buy thing:

While Pebble was working out manufacturing difficulties for the other Kickstarter colors, they allowed the manufacturing process to run black and red pebbles so they could do this Best Buy thing. Doing the Best Buy thing has in no way impacted or slowed the process of building Kickstarter Pebbles in the other colors. One of the Pebble guys was asked this in the forums and answered.

If you're a black/red pre-order and haven't gotten yours yet, it's safe to imagine that Best Buy was a guy ahead of you in queue. I pre-ordered a red soon as they opened up pre-orders and I got shipping confirmation the same day they announced pre-orders. Naturally as a guy wearing a Pebble right now I am predisposed not to be upset, but I am generally an understanding/accepting guy who makes excuses on behalf of other, silent people.

I saw a comment from a guy outraged that his RMA'd Pebble might not say "Kickstarter Edition" on the back, and I can only imagine how much rage he would feel if he knew my red pre-order says "Kickstarter Edition" while his replacement might not. How dare Pebble not hold back KS Edition pebbles to fill RMAs with! How will people know how cool I am if my pebble doesn't say it on the back!? etc.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to get the iPhone to not think that Pebble can play audio? It seems to want to send Siri to it which doesn't work and makes Siri lovely.

Nobody answered this because there doesn't appear to be a real solution. Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes it's not. The Pebble twitter account misunderstood something I told them and thought I was asking about this, they said: it usually works fine after you wait for the first long microphone to trigger. Or something. Nothing but not paying attention to it has solved my problems.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I see they are back in stock on Best Buy's website so I ordered one. I'd rather be sure I am getting one than gamble on Sunday.

SirSigma
Mar 21, 2013

Aspiring Polymath
There's about three or four Best Buy stores in my area, and people seem to be unaware they exist where I live.

I think the chances of me finding it are favorable if I went to get one Sunday.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

amiantos posted:

If you're a black/red pre-order and haven't gotten yours yet, it's safe to imagine that Best Buy was a guy ahead of you in queue.
I tend to agree in terms of the $0 pre-orders, but the 2012 preorderers and the backers who STILL haven't got their watches even after the "switch to black, it'll be faster" thing, are still waiting for them to make any kind of effort on German shipping, or have been left hanging for weeks by Pebble support, they've got every reason to be pissed. Throughout the whole exercise it's been abundantly clear Pebble couldn't give a poo poo about customer service, though, so at this stage I don't know why anyone's even surprised.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

amiantos posted:

Nobody answered this because there doesn't appear to be a real solution. Sometimes it's fine. Sometimes it's not. The Pebble twitter account misunderstood something I told them and thought I was asking about this, they said: it usually works fine after you wait for the first long microphone to trigger. Or something. Nothing but not paying attention to it has solved my problems.

Thanks for the info. Seems strange but my guess is that it is related to how you can change music tracks from the watch, so it probably acts like a head unit / speaker.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

I tend to agree in terms of the $0 pre-orders, but the 2012 preorderers and the backers who STILL haven't got their watches even after the "switch to black, it'll be faster" thing, are still waiting for them to make any kind of effort on German shipping, or have been left hanging for weeks by Pebble support, they've got every reason to be pissed. Throughout the whole exercise it's been abundantly clear Pebble couldn't give a poo poo about customer service, though, so at this stage I don't know why anyone's even surprised.

Maybe I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt here, but they could just be bad at customer service, rather than not give a poo poo about it. If the company sticks it out and continues to grow I can see these issues smoothing out eventually, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I see they are back in stock on Best Buy's website so I ordered one. I'd rather be sure I am getting one than gamble on Sunday.

Thanks for pointing this out, ordered one last night. I was feeling wishy-washy if I had to wait an indeterminate period of time off that $0 preorder but if I can get one real soon now, why not.

And even with the $8 expedited shipping (I have a business trip late next week and I don't want it sitting on my doorstep) so I get it on Monday or Tuesday, it still came out cheaper than if I had to go and pay full sales tax at the Best Buy near my house. I'll call this a win.

• Locked thread