Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
FWIW, my wife & I have eaten at Victoria & Albert's twice: our wedding night and our tenth anniversary. Now we're not foodies, so it wasn't some sort of existential experience or anything, and our opinions of the two evenings were obviously clouded by the reason we were there. But I remember both of us saying, "That was the best meal I've ever had," after our first visit. The food was just as great ten years later, but that time we made the mistake of getting wine pairings with each course. We were well in the bag before dessert.

Also, I've added the detailed resort map to the OP. If anybody knows of any "You can walk to X from Y" facts about the specific hotels, please fill me in & I'll add it. Like, can you walk from Saratoga Springs to Downtown Disney? I don't know. I'm a caveman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Lincoln posted:

Also, I've added the detailed resort map to the OP. If anybody knows of any "You can walk to X from Y" facts about the specific hotels, please fill me in & I'll add it. Like, can you walk from Saratoga Springs to Downtown Disney? I don't know. I'm a caveman.

The main walking path from Saratoga is closing later this year when the Disney Springs construction starts, but there is another walking path that takes you from Saratoga to Downtown near Cirque du soleil. Otherwise it's the boats or the buses.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You can walk from Shades of Green to the Polynesian to take the monorail, however it is not necessarily recommended because it's a lovely road to run across and it can be dangerous. But tons of people do it every year anyway and it's not against the rules as far as I'm aware.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
The OP notes that it's best to avoid peak season and holidays. Here's a great example of why:

Yesterday was American Independence Day. At about 11:00 AM, Magic Kingdom hit phase 2 capacity closing. By 4:00 PM, the park enacted a phase 3 capacity closing. We've been at the Magic Kingdom when crowds were large enough to force 90-minute waits for many rides, and the park wasn't anywhere close to even phase 1 capacity closing. At noon the temperature was 89 degrees (32 Celsius) with 88% relative humidity and near full sun.

Good night Irene.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
7/4 is one of the worst, non week-after-christmas days you can go to Disney.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We went on 7/5 just to watch the fireworks since it is a special around the park show. We arrived at the park around 6P and it was busy, but no as ridiculous as I expected. People were already camping out on Main Street for the Electric Light Parade that was soon to start. Since we are passholders and visit the parks sometimes multiple times monthly we are very targeted on where we go and what we do. We always ride pirates, mansion and Buzz Lightyear (we compete to see who does best and loser buys dinner/dessert) no matter what. They were 15 minute queue lines and we sailed through that day. Peter Pan was 40 minutes, Pooh was 10 and Space Mountain was 30 minutes. We always park at the guest lot across from Grand Floridian taking the monorail or boat to the park.

That being said our new favorite location to watch the fireworks is between the carousel behind the towers at the entrance to the new area just to the right of the 7 Dwarves coaster being built. The fireworks bunker is a few hundred yards directly north of the location and they are in your face.

Pics or it didn't happen.. sorry for the lovely quality but it was taken from my mobile phone and the bar is set low.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

How is the crowd back there during the fireworks show? I know Main St is a clusterfuck, and we haven't stayed for the show yet, but will be this year ( son says he's ready for fireworks at Disney).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

How is the crowd back there during the fireworks show? I know Main St is a clusterfuck, and we haven't stayed for the show yet, but will be this year ( son says he's ready for fireworks at Disney).

Wide open. We sat along the brick planter that runs around that set of towers and watched with no one around us. There was a family of eight near us but never close enough to be a problem. It was not dead empty by any means but nothing near the mess that is Main Street. We walked from there straight on to Dumbo to kill some time while the lemmings all pushed the exit gates then cruised through Tomorrowland taking the back exit behind Main Street that dumps you at the train station and out we went. The ferry to Grand Floridian took about fifteen minutes, two boat loads, and we were out of there.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Take caution in parking at GF; if you're not staying at the property or have dining reservations at the resort, they have been known to close the guest lots during extreme peak times. Same with the Polynesian and I'm pretty sure the Contemporary too.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Wide open. We sat along the brick planter that runs around that set of towers and watched with no one around us. There was a family of eight near us but never close enough to be a problem. It was not dead empty by any means but nothing near the mess that is Main Street. We walked from there straight on to Dumbo to kill some time while the lemmings all pushed the exit gates then cruised through Tomorrowland taking the back exit behind Main Street that dumps you at the train station and out we went. The ferry to Grand Floridian took about fifteen minutes, two boat loads, and we were out of there.

You only get the fireworks and the music though right? Not the castle animation stuff? Which, btw, is fine with us. I'm glad there is a spot you can actually relax in the park and watch the fireworks. The only time I've been angry or agitated during a trip to WDW is when I'm on Main Street before the fireworks.

E: what is this back exit through Tomorrowland you are talking about??

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 7, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

You only get the fireworks and the music though right? Not the castle animation stuff? Which, btw, is fine with us. I'm glad there is a spot you can actually relax in the park and watch the fireworks. The only time I've been angry or agitated during a trip to WDW is when I'm on Main Street before the fireworks.

E: what is this back exit through Tomorrowland you are talking about??

From that location we cannot see the castle activity since we are behind it but you can see where the location is in relation to the bunker.

The side exit is next to Tomorrowland Terrace and runs the edge of the backstage parking. They have employees guiding you through the whole way and any magic will be lost if you are towing kids along. There was one family who had two kids with them and they were bitching the whole way about how this ruined their perception seeing the service area. Life sucks sometimes, deal with it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

demonR6 posted:

...the back exit behind Main Street that dumps you at the train station...

Wow I was about to ask you what in the world you were talking about and then you posted the diagrammed space photo from space. Is this route only available after fireworks? I knew nothing about it until now.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

It's only open when it's really, really busy and there's a massive number of people leaving the park at once. There's a second bypass on the west side of Main Street as well.

Tip: Never leave after the fireworks. Magic Kingdom is almost always open a couple of hours longer and thousands of people are leaving at that time. This means a much emptier park and not having to wait in a ridiculous line to get on a monorail or ferry when you leave.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Lincoln posted:

Wow I was about to ask you what in the world you were talking about and then you posted the diagrammed space photo from space. Is this route only available after fireworks? I knew nothing about it until now.

They use it whenever the park is abnormally full. A good example is when they shoot the Christmas parade (which I just found out is going to be when I am down for my next trip. Sarcastic Hooray) they let people not interested in the parade in through there, because Main Street is blocked off for filming.

mearn posted:

Tip: Never leave after the fireworks. Magic Kingdom is almost always open a couple of hours longer and thousands of people are leaving at that time. This means a much emptier park and not having to wait in a ridiculous line to get on a monorail or ferry when you leave.

This. Often the fire works are a few hours before official close time. If you head off and do some rides or some shopping, you'll find leaving much easier.

Sometimes, the park closes directly after the fireworks, but in this case, the stores on Main Street will be open until the moment when they tell everyone to actually get the hell out. Window shop for a bit, grab a Mickey shaped sweet or something, then catch a much less crowded trip to your hotel/parking lot.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 7, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This depends on what time of the year you go. Specifically with Disneyland, unless you leave an hour before the fireworks, the trams to the Mickey and Friends parking area are always packed if the park has been packed at some point of the day. It doesn't matter if you leave when the park is closing or if you leave right after the fireworks. There's going to be a line.

However, Downtown Disney usually stays open a little later than the parks in this case. You may be able to screw around in World of Disney or La Brea bakery while the lines calm down a little.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

demonR6 posted:

From that location we cannot see the castle activity since we are behind it but you can see where the location is in relation to the bunker.

Thanks for this, we will probably utilize that spot for the fireworks if we can, though we aren't going back until early December and will probably want to get on main street for the Very Merry Christmas Party.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Has The Great Movie Ride been revamped or reno'd at all in the last while? I remember going to WDW in 1999, and one of the rides I was looking forward to the most was the movie ride. The ride turned out to be a lemon though. It looked kind of dilapidated and musty, and the animatronics seemed to be on their last legs. The cast members that were part of the live-action segments seemed very unprofessional as well, with huge empty sections of cast members standing around silently, warily eyeing each other and the guests as if waiting for a cue that wasn't coming.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has The Great Movie Ride been revamped or reno'd at all in the last while? I remember going to WDW in 1999, and one of the rides I was looking forward to the most was the movie ride. The ride turned out to be a lemon though. It looked kind of dilapidated and musty, and the animatronics seemed to be on their last legs. The cast members that were part of the live-action segments seemed very unprofessional as well, with huge empty sections of cast members standing around silently, warily eyeing each other and the guests as if waiting for a cue that wasn't coming.

I don't remember it to be honest.. it was that bad and we have not ridden it since but next time we go to the parks I will make it a point to go to studios and ride it then get back with a trip report. You will owe me if it is as horrible as I remember it to be. ;)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
As far as I know, the only thing they've ever updated in the Great Movie Ride is the montage of movie clips they show you at the end of the ride.

e: My favorite detail about the GMR is how the Fantasia segment was originally supposed to be the tornado from Wizard of Oz (as it precedes the Munchkinland segment), but before they fully integrated it some executive (probably Eisner) said "Wait a minute, there's no Disney stuff in this ride..."

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 10, 2013

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No, and when I was there in May I definitely got the cast members who weren't good enough actors to get assigned to, oh, any other attraction.

Skip this. Please.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
GMR is extremely dependent on the CMs you get. It's unfortunate that I've gotten quite a few lemons but I personally know quite a few very, VERY dedicated people who love it and treat every trip like it was the best one ever.

GMR cast (the older ones, at least) love the ride to the point of culthood; the problem is getting the tired college program kid who's about ready to go home the next week.

Go early in the morning when you have the best chance of getting an upbeat CM.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Unless you need a break from the heat, skip the GMR.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

From what I've gathered, working The Great Movie Ride is something people want to do because it looks to be a different job than it actually is. A lot of people think it's like the Jungle Cruise, only for movie nerds instead of animal lovers. Thing is, Jungle Cruise skippers have some leeway, they can improv a bit, and can pick and choose what they say and don't say. GMR has a very strict script that has to be adhered to properly or it throws timing all of.

Also when it's very busy and they are running cars back to back, the scene with the Wicked Witch sucks if you are in the back car. Our host just let the host in the car ahead of us do all the talking to the witch, so it didn't seem intereactive, it seemed boring.

It's a huge roll of the dice if you get a good show or a bad show.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I don't know if this is World or Land, but that kid's too big for a stroller.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't recognize those as MK strollers but if so that would be Frontierland and most likely in the Big Thunder Mountain RR area.

EDIT: and for the love of Jesus stop feeding your child turkey legs and churros you savage.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Definitely MK, you can tell by the costumed CM in the back.

As a fun fact, those turkey legs are 1000 calories a piece.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roar posted:

They also have more sodium that a loving salt mine in them.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

No costume at DL similar to that?

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Lincoln posted:

I don't know if this is World or Land, but that kid's too big for a stroller.

Beyond the obvious horrors of that picture, Disney World rents double strollers which are just like those but wider. Spend a couple extra bucks if you're going to do something that stupid and at least let the kid be a bit more comfortable. Or rent a wheel chair if there's some form of disability which is preventing them from walking.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

demonR6 posted:

No costume at DL similar to that?

I can't be sure whether Disneyland has those costumes hanging around too since I haven't been there since I was six but I am 100% certain that that is a MK Big Thunder Mountain costume. DL's version is much brighter in hue and includes a bandana around the neck for females.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

I can't be sure whether Disneyland has those costumes hanging around too since I haven't been there since I was six but I am 100% certain that that is a MK Big Thunder Mountain costume. DL's version is much brighter in hue and includes a bandana around the neck for females.

Yep, my in-law got back to me last night and confirmed. He also mentioned squeezing that kid into a single size stroller is considered child abuse. At the very least get the double-wide, it does not make the situation any better but marginally acceptable.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So I hear the final retail store at Downtown Disney closed today (Apricot Springs). What's the state of Downtown Disney now? Is it completely shut down, or are parts still open for business?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Backing up to the Great Movie Ride, we went on it last May and our Cast Members were decent actors. It's the script that's cheesy. I don't love the ride, but I wouldn't skip it. You never know when you might get a good CM host.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

So I hear the final retail store at Downtown Disney closed today (Apricot Springs). What's the state of Downtown Disney now? Is it completely shut down, or are parts still open for business?

Uh, World of Disney is still kicking, as is pretty much every retailer who has moved in in the last several years. The nightculbs are almost all torn down (except The Adventurer's Club, which sits there, sadly awaiting the day.)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I haven't noticed anyone mention this but forgive me if it's already been covered, but the Swan and Dolphin hotels are not actually owned by Disney and therefore do not participate in a lot of the Disney discounted programs. You're not going to be getting free dining at Swolphin.

I also wanted to mention that I work as a travel planner who specializes in Disney vacations. You can find my Facebook page (still working on a proper website) at whodatmouse.com. I'm happy to answer questions or give free quotes.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

While not a question about a specific travel, I am headed down in December, and I booked everything directly through Disney. Would I have saved money going through a travel agency?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Uh, World of Disney is still kicking, as is pretty much every retailer who has moved in in the last several years. The nightculbs are almost all torn down (except The Adventurer's Club, which sits there, sadly awaiting the day.)

I haven't versed myself much in the Disney Springs plan but I can say with some degree of confidence that they would never shut down the WoD, it's the biggest store at WDW and makes an enormous amount of money. Stupidly crowded at all times, too.

As for the Adventure Club, Disney got the permits to demolish it back in 2011 so it's only a matter of time as you said. They just demolished the Comedy Warehouse last week so welp time is very slowly running our.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

While not a question about a specific travel, I am headed down in December, and I booked everything directly through Disney. Would I have saved money going through a travel agency?

You would have saved money by booking with me. I have a discount rate for December. You save about 30% on Deluxe level resorts with a 10% ticket discount. We have some Mod and Value options as well, but the greatest savings are on the Deluxe resorts.

I would always recommend people use a reputable travel agent. We can get discounts that the general public can't because we have the volume to book at group rates and then offer the savings to our clients.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
I thought it had been mentioned already though that Disney doesn't sell at bulk rates to travel agencies, so that booking through one doesn't offer any discounts you wouldn't get for the same time of year right through disney? Or is that a different concept that only applies to full vacation packages or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The way our discount works is that our agency books a block of rooms at a group rate discount. At that rate, we are taking on the risk that we will either sell those rooms or pay for them ourselves. We cut out our ticket commission so that we can offer the tickets at 10% off to our clients. The agency is taking all the risk here and the client gets the benefit of discounted room and ticket rates.