Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

What I'm wondering is how thoroughly the fastpass check process is at the attractions. Do they just scan it and give the green light? Or do they scan it and verify your name, etc? My reason for asking is that I'm travelling with my wife, who is not a fan of the scarier rides. So, for example, if we both book fastpasses at DHS for Toy Story, Star Tours, and Tower of Terror, but she doesn't want to ride ToT, can I just ride it twice by switching bands with her?

My girlfriend rode Tower of Terror back to back using my magic band fastpass the second time. CMs don't seem to care, so I assume you will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oh yeah! That's another thing. I've got dinner at Ohana during my trip, so give me the low down on Trader Sams. What are the best drinks and such?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Here's a timely question: What does Disney do when a hurricane/tropical storm is approaching? Will they shut down a day or so before projected landfall?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My wife was told to be there Tuesday (she's off Monday), but I can't imagine the parks can legally be open if it's a hurricane. Tropical storm is probably normal thunderstorm operations. The latest path shows we'll get hit one way or another, and the governor just declared a state of emergency. I'll be getting back in town late Sunday night and if it's bad I'm grabbing my wife and dogs and heading up towards Atlanta. Wonder how insane travel is going to be with 19 million people going bonkers.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Right now they are predicting a lot of rain.. like 8-12 inches over a 24 hour period so flooding and heavy rain. How does this translate into Disney speak? No fucks given, park is open. Here, buy a $19 poncho.

Also Disney a activated their EOC, expecting 40-50 mph winds.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 28, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think the only day Disney ever closed was like 9/11.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tim Whatley posted:

I think the only day Disney ever closed was like 9/11.

9/11 and Hurricanes Floyd, Frances, Charlie, Jeanne, and Wilma.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Here is how the call I made to my relative who works in some dark level of the resort ops department went I called a little while ago.. names are changed to protect the innocent.

"Hey what's up Larry.."
"Hey Bob so what are the chances the parks will close because of this storm?"
*click*
'What the gently caress.. call dropped.'

I call back.

"Yeap."
"Hey Bob call must have dropped."
"No it didn't."
*click*

I called back again and we talked for a couple of minutes but yeah, no way they are closing unless it's seventh level of hell type poo poo according to him.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Our Disney trip next year keeps getting extended somehow. Originally we were going from Sat-Fri and staying 7 days/6nights at BLT renting DVC points. I mention to my wife that it sucks we're going to lose a whole day Saturday to travel as the flight we like doesn't get into MCO until 8:20PM. (JetBlue no layovers) I tell her we should fly in Friday. That morphed to Thursday as Friday is early release at school anyway. We book 2 nights at Beach Club taking us to 9 days/8 nights.

Well we're going spring break week here in Texas, so airfare is insane from SAT/AUS to MCO. I mention 'if we're going to spend an extra 2 grand anyway, might as well stay through the end of the weekend and not leave on Friday morning if plane tickets are cheaper'. I much rather have a longer trip than spend the same money on the flight.

My wife looks at flights and it's way cheaper to take the Wednesday night flight from Austin to MCO, and return 2 Monday's later. Beach club reservation extended to 3 nights to cover W/T/F, Original 1 bedroom BLT DVC rental for Sat through Friday, and she just rented more DVC points to cover Fri/Sat/Sun night at BLT in a 1bedroom unit.

Now we're at 13 days/12 nights at Disney. Luckily there's no way we could extend the trip any longer. I'm not sure how ticketing is going to work either, the longest ticket you can buy is 10 days. I really just need that 11th day. The first day we won't hit the parks. We won't get in until 10PM or so. The last day we can live without going to the park as well, but that still leaves 11 days to cover. We could try to kill a day at Downtown Disney I guess, or have a chill and relax at the pool day at BLT, but I really like spending every night at MK. That place is just special at night.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Did some digging and found this, looks like it's for anything above tropical storm winds. If they already activated the EOC (phase 4), they're on the ball in case the storm strengthens:

quote:

Phase 5
(Monitoring Storm Possible)
Review current plan, checklists and business recovery plans. Review personnel and resource availability for the ride-out crew. Verify contact numbers and emergency data. Prepare WDW Emergency Operations Center for activation.

Phase 4
(Storm likely within 24–36 hrs)
General readiness imposed. Brief personnel. Review checklists. Consider possible shut down of long lead operations and not starting extended operations. Limited activation and staffing of WDW Emergency Operations Center.

Phase 3
(Storm probable within 12–24 hrs)
Intensify clean up and tie down. Prepare for phase 2 activity. Selected ride-out crew personnel given the opportunity to secure their personal property. Turn in excess radios and vehicles. WDW Emergency Operations Center opens and is fully staffed. Note: Generally this is when the WDW Emergency Operations Center, command centers, and command posts will be fully activated. However, this is an Executive Policy Team decision.

Phase 2
(Storm impending)
Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney close. Guest campground trailers removed and secured by the guests. Scheduled hotel and campground guests notified of conditions. Complete all clean up and tie down short of shutdown. Authorized ride-out families move to pre-designated shelters. Ride-out crew fully staffed at start of phase 1 or as directed by the WDW Emergency Operations Center. Personnel not in ride-out crew released as soon as possible.

Phase 1
(Storm imminent, take shelter)
Shutdown all activities and immediately take shelter. Fulfill ride-out requirement plans.

Post Storm Phase
Command Centers submit situation reports to WDW Emergency Operations Center. Establish business resumption / recovery schedule. Notify employees through media and cast Member emergency lines of call back as directed by WDW Emergency Operations Center.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's not going to strengthen. It's most likely not going to be a hurricane when it hits and there's even a chance it'll totally disintegrate by the time it gets that far.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Did some digging and found this, looks like it's for anything above tropical storm winds. If they already activated the EOC (phase 4), they're on the ball in case the storm strengthens:

Yep, and Bob is one of the poor schmucks who is limited personnel. On the flip side he gets to eat from any location on property brought to him so he chose American Grill for this evening.

Also time off from three kids and his wife.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
I used to work at Busch Garden a while back for a couple years and I remember we only closed early once. There were a bunch of British tourists complaining on their way out about how it was ridiculous to shut down the park just because of the weather....

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

skipdogg posted:

Our Disney trip next year keeps getting extended somehow. Originally we were going from Sat-Fri and staying 7 days/6nights at BLT renting DVC points. I mention to my wife that it sucks we're going to lose a whole day Saturday to travel as the flight we like doesn't get into MCO until 8:20PM. (JetBlue no layovers) I tell her we should fly in Friday. That morphed to Thursday as Friday is early release at school anyway. We book 2 nights at Beach Club taking us to 9 days/8 nights.

Well we're going spring break week here in Texas, so airfare is insane from SAT/AUS to MCO. I mention 'if we're going to spend an extra 2 grand anyway, might as well stay through the end of the weekend and not leave on Friday morning if plane tickets are cheaper'. I much rather have a longer trip than spend the same money on the flight.

My wife looks at flights and it's way cheaper to take the Wednesday night flight from Austin to MCO, and return 2 Monday's later. Beach club reservation extended to 3 nights to cover W/T/F, Original 1 bedroom BLT DVC rental for Sat through Friday, and she just rented more DVC points to cover Fri/Sat/Sun night at BLT in a 1bedroom unit.

Now we're at 13 days/12 nights at Disney. Luckily there's no way we could extend the trip any longer. I'm not sure how ticketing is going to work either, the longest ticket you can buy is 10 days. I really just need that 11th day. The first day we won't hit the parks. We won't get in until 10PM or so. The last day we can live without going to the park as well, but that still leaves 11 days to cover. We could try to kill a day at Downtown Disney I guess, or have a chill and relax at the pool day at BLT, but I really like spending every night at MK. That place is just special at night.

Get the 10 day and water park and fun, do a couple of days in water parks. Five days is about my limit in-park, so we've been going for five days, but next time we're going to go for six and only get a 5 day actual-park ticket and do a waterpark at least one day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Talked to the better half, she's planning a rest day where we don't visit the parks. We can do Downtown Disney for some shopping and lunch, spend some time at the resort pool, and then Fort Wilderness for the Chip and Dale thing with the kids.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

So regarding bounce back, I'm trying to hook one up for November 2016 when I go 9/17 this year. My agent said to book it to the furthest date out possible, and then when new dates open up, it can be modified. She also said free dining isn't offered in November but I should get a room discount. Is this all true?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It can definitely be modified if you need to change your dates. Sometimes free dining is offered in November, but I'm pretty sure it's not offered on a bounceback. Bounceback is definitely a room discount.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hell yes they announced LE Magic Bands for the new SW movie only available at WDW being released on the 4th.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

demonR6 posted:

Oh hell yes they announced LE Magic Bands for the new SW movie only available at WDW being released on the 4th.

4th of September?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yessir. Special ticketed event for the unveiling too. But they said only at Disney World not Land.. people are upset.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

demonR6 posted:

Yessir. Special ticketed event for the unveiling too. But they said only at Disney World not Land.. people are upset.

Do you have a link? I'm staying at WDW until the 5th, and i'd love to pick up one. Only if they're freely available though. I'm probably not willing to brave hour long lines if it's going to be that sort of thing.

EDIT: Found a link:

http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/force-friday-event-at-downtown-disney-will-reveal-new-magicbands/

50 bucks to just get into the event to buy more merchandise is some bullshit, but it does say that they will be available throughout the parks "in the days following". I hope that translates to "later that day" or "the next day"

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 31, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Here you go linky.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Found out all Disney Stores are doing the Force Friday thing. No charge, obviously. My local one (Merrimack NH) is opening at 6am and giving away an exclusive pin to the first 100 people who buy something. Might be worth it for me alone haha.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
do eeeet!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I was thinking about an April trip and then they announce a new Race series. And I do enjoy Star Wars...

Does anyone have experience with the non-January race weekends? Are they significantly busier?

Also, are the races awesome? Because $200 for a half is a loving lot of money, even by Disney standards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boxman posted:

I was thinking about an April trip and then they announce a new Race series. And I do enjoy Star Wars...

Does anyone have experience with the non-January race weekends? Are they significantly busier?

Also, are the races awesome? Because $200 for a half is a loving lot of money, even by Disney standards.

The wine and dine half is great and worth every penny. I'm sure this will be as well. Running through the empty parks at night is a really cool experience, and this has the same route. It's more of a fun experience than a serious race, and has the added benefit of offsetting eating like a pig the rest of the trip :)

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The only thing stopping me from signing up for that one (other than being crazy broke) is that I couldn't get the Kessel Run medal for running the disneyland and Disney world Star Wars races.

I'm running the wine and dine this year though.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Getting kinda nervous because I booked 4 at Ohana on 9/20 and we need 6. The internet tells me I'll probably get turned away. Nothing is open that entire day.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
OHana is rough, but if you keep trying your reservation any free chance you get, something will come up. We needed one for 2 for our end of October trip and it took a few weeks of me checking the reservation site every chance I could at work to finally grab one.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

You might try one of the sniper sites.

I've been trying everyday for a BOG for five for Nov and nada.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

You might try one of the sniper sites.

I've been trying everyday for a BOG for five for Nov and nada.

Never heard of these. Have a recommendation?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I think WDWTools is the most popular one.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

Sweet. I just put a watch out for Ohana for 6 dinner on 9/20. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Braksgirl posted:

Thanks for the link! Just scored BOG for my breakfast on our last day there.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

No problem! I hope you get it. One of my TA buddies has the agent plan and I had her put one on a BOG for me. So far nothing's come up but here's hoping.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I already had grabbed (after many attempts) a BOG lunch on the Monday and with the watch link, pulled off breakfast for the last day, so I'm pumped.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Props, Braks! Scored an Ohana party of 6 at 8:35pm. Sure it's an hour and a half later but whatever I'll take it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Congrats! I'm still waiting on my BOG lunch. Le sigh.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Star Wars fans.. Watto's Grotto at HS will be open this Friday. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I just wanna see the sexy new Star Wars Mbsssssssssss