Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Gahhh in 24 hours I'll be heading to the airport to go to Disney. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
One month from now, I will be an hour outside of MCO, heading in to land!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I just got notification that your documents are headed to me. You'll have them soon! :dance:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The crowds in the Magic Kingdom were pretty bad yesterday. We ended up bailing around 2pm when lines for just about everything were 45+ minutes (and 90+ for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train). I know that's nothing compared to summer or Christmas, but we're used to visiting when the parks are empty. No ride is worth standing around for over an hour.

We actually skipped our Mine Train fast pass and did the Wine Walk in Epcot instead. I may not get to ride it while we're here, but I don't regret changing parks.

It seems like the crowds in general are a lot heavier than the various crowd calendars have been predicting. I guess that's just Disney now - no real offseason anymore.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

WhiteHowler posted:

It seems like the crowds in general are a lot heavier than the various crowd calendars have been predicting. I guess that's just Disney now - no real offseason anymore.

Pretty much. Although it does add a little value to the hard ticket events like the Halloween and Christmas parties, because you end up with a few hours of a barely half-full park.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My wife can get discounted WDW tickets through her work.

3 adult, 2 kid 10 day park hoppers from Disney is $2,241.85, she can get them for 2,127.23 through the ticket program at work. Anything to worry about if we don't get them direct from Disney?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Crowds at WDW are more or less year round now since this is a global tourist destination. Off season here means more out of country visitors.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

skipdogg posted:

My wife can get discounted WDW tickets through her work.

3 adult, 2 kid 10 day park hoppers from Disney is $2,241.85, she can get them for 2,127.23 through the ticket program at work. Anything to worry about if we don't get them direct from Disney?

It just depends really. If they're will call and picked up at Disney, you won't be able to do Fast Passes ahead of time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Braksgirl posted:

It just depends really. If they're will call and picked up at Disney, you won't be able to do Fast Passes ahead of time.

I guess they send you the tickets/codes and you add them to your account and then you can do FP's

We're not doing the dining plan next trip, but we set a ADR for Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast and it was 253 bucks, payable right now. The dining plan does a great job of divorcing the cash cost of the restaurants and making it a part of the trip and I definitely see the appeal. Last year it was just 2 TS credits. Mentally a little different than $253.04 paid up front 6 months before the meal.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 17, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snagged reservations at Jiko for my girlfriend's birthday. Anyone ever been there?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrYenko posted:

Snagged reservations at Jiko for my girlfriend's birthday. Anyone ever been there?
The food is good, but very expensive, and the portions can be hilariously small based on what you order. Boma is a better choice for African food if you don't mind a buffet.

If you want something special and/or romantic, I'd recommend dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh. It's the best food in Epcot, and you can often walk in without a reservation (but make one anyway).

Be Our Guest (dinner only) is kind of romantic too, but there were a million kids the when we went, and reservations are very hard to get.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

MrYenko posted:

Love Jiko. It's really yummy. But yes, expensive. If they still have it (haven't been in a while) get the filet minon with Mac & cheese. So good. Also if you enjoy wine they have the largest selection of South African wine in the U.S. I believe (at least they used to)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Bit disappointed there's no mention whatsoever of Taxi service in the OP at all - I know taxi drivers are looked down on or thought to all be lying cheating stealing etc etc but it's not actually that bad.

I work as a taxi driver in Orlando part time and while I usually avoid working Disney due to competition I could do a bit of a write-up if people are interested, tips to avoid getting scammed, standard rates, etc.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Indecisive posted:

Bit disappointed there's no mention whatsoever of Taxi service in the OP at all - I know taxi drivers are looked down on or thought to all be lying cheating stealing etc etc but it's not actually that bad.

I work as a taxi driver in Orlando part time and while I usually avoid working Disney due to competition I could do a bit of a write-up if people are interested, tips to avoid getting scammed, standard rates, etc.
I'd love that.

After 30 minutes of waiting for the Animal Kingdom bus at Epcot today, all while staring at a row of waiting taxis, I was wondering how much they charge for intra-resort travel.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i'm going to have to take a taxi from Pop Century to a grocery store to grab some basics so I would love a guide. I was debating on a Uber also but eh.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Happitoo posted:

Love Jiko. It's really yummy. But yes, expensive. If they still have it (haven't been in a while) get the filet minon with Mac & cheese.

I understand it's off the menu but they'll make it for you if you ask nicely.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

MrYenko posted:

If I get booked there when I travel for work and have enough per-diem I'll eat at the cooking station at Jiko. Food is really great and I can chat it up with the cooks since I'm usually flying solo.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

I'd love that.

After 30 minutes of waiting for the Animal Kingdom bus at Epcot today, all while staring at a row of waiting taxis, I was wondering how much they charge for intra-resort travel.

We usually grab a taxi from Epcot back to Saratoga and its right around $15, and I toss the driver $5 for a tip. It's worth every penny to not wait in the bus line after Illuminations and the mass exodus from Epcot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WhiteHowler posted:

The food is good, but very expensive, and the portions can be hilariously small based on what you order. Boma is a better choice for African food if you don't mind a buffet.

If you want something special and/or romantic, I'd recommend dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh. It's the best food in Epcot, and you can often walk in without a reservation (but make one anyway).

Be Our Guest (dinner only) is kind of romantic too, but there were a million kids the when we went, and reservations are very hard to get.

We've both been to Boma, and she's wanted to try Jiko for awhile. We actually have reservations this weekend (well, our weekend; Wednesday,) for Spice Road, just for giggles. I chose it over Marrakesh based entirely on internet reviews. Should I attempt to change it?

Also; best food in Epcot should be appended to read: Best food in Epcot that isn't Le Cellier. :colbert:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Before we start I will point out that I work for Mears Transportation as a taxi driver - we are not direct employees, but contractors. I don't represent the company or anything really and all I know is what I've learned from doing the job for several years on a part-time basis. I don't work the Disney area very often so I don't know 100% of the ins and outs there, and I've never worked the airport. Everything here is true to the best of my knowledge, though.

Taxi service from the Airport
I'll start here since most people who need a taxi will also. Disney operates a wonderful free airport bus service and you should certainly take advantage of it if you can. However sometimes plans change, or maybe the wait for a bus would be too long, whatever. If you decide to take a taxi from the airport to Disney you can expect to pay between $55-$70 one way which includes any applicable fees; I think there's a $1-$2 fee for any ride from the airport, as well as a few dollars in tolls on the way. It may still be cheaper than taking a shuttle however, as their rates tend to be per-person, while a taxi is the same whether you have 1 person or 7 (which I think is the maximum a taxi van can take). The ride is about 30 minutes, 22-25 miles depending where exactly you are staying. I believe the taxi pickup area is on the bottom level of the airport, there will be a designated area with an employee who will direct you to whichever cab is next in line for a customer. Make sure to specify in advance where you are going - if you are staying at one of the hotels on Magic Kingdom property (Grand Floridian, Polynesian, or Contemporary) you want a cab that can access the park without paying the parking fee. As far as I know this is only Mears taxis. Make sure in advance though, so you don't end up paying an extra $12 or whatever for no reason.

Taxi service at DIsney
Every Disney property has a taxi stand run by Mears, and all the cabs are from the same company - Checker Cab. You'll see them all over the roads, there's literally hundreds of them at all times of day (ok maybe less than a hundred late at night). They have exclusive rights via contract with Disney. However, that does not mean you MUST take a Checker Cab, you can call an Uber or whatever other company if you like and make arrangements with them if you like, but most of the other companies have the same rates anyway which are set by the city. Anyway, at the hotels if you want a cab just talk to the employees at the front desk or outside the main entrance and they can call the taxi over for you. Cabs are almost always waiting at the hotels, but in the rare event that there aren't any they will call the company and you'll probably have somebody there within 5 minutes unless it's an unusually busy day.

For the parks it's slightly different, you will have to walk out to the taxi line yourself. At the Magic Kingdom this is right by the Ticket and Transportation center with the buses, at Animal Kingdom it's near the handicapped parking lot by the front entrance, at Hollywood Studios it's.. kinda out past the buses? It's hard to describe and I've never really spent any time there, only dropping people off. And at Epcot the cab stand is right in the middle of the bus area. Again, at the major stands there's basically always a bunch of cabs in line and they're all bright yellow so it's pretty easy to spot. The less busy stands are the water parks, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. At these ones it's not unusual for there to be no cabs waiting, and the stands themselves only have a few parking spaces, which really says something for how little traffic we normally get out of them. I'm sure the Disney employees up front can assist with calling one for you though.

Last, Downtown Disney/Disney Springs. Traffic here is kinda hosed with all the construction going on. There used to be a number of taxi stands around the place but at the moment I think it's down to 2 places, in the rear parking lot behind House of Blues / Cirque du Soleil, and across the street at the Suntrust buliding. This could change at any time though (in fact just this week they changed the front stand to the Suntrust lot, it was at the Disney Casting building previously). Personally I would advise going to the HoB stand in the rear, I think it usually has more people there, but I don't know for certain.

But how much will it COST?
Standard rates in Orlando are fairly simple - $2.40 to start, $2.40 per additional mile ($.60 per quarter mile, to be precise). That is the majority of the cost of a ride. There is an additional charge of $.60 per 80 seconds while the meter is running and the vehicle is stopped, which for most trips will mean an extra dollar or two for time spent at stoplights. Here's a simple guide of some common (**ESTIMATED**) rates around the Disney area:

Magic Kingdom area to:
Epcot - $12
Animal Kingdom - $20
Hollywood Studios and Epcot Resorts- $15
Downtown Disney - $18
ESPN / Pop Century / Art of Animation - $15
International Drive / Convention area - $35
Universal area - $40-45
Airport - $65
Downtown Orlando - $60

Animal Kingdom area to:
Epcot - $16
Hollywood Studios and Epcot resorts - $15
Downtown Disney - $20
ESPN / Pop Century / Art of Animation - $14
Magic Kingdom area - $20
International Drive / Convention area - $35
Universal area - $40
Downtown Orlando $55
Airport - $60

Downtown Disney / Disney Springs to:
Epcot - $12
Hollywood Studios and Epcot Resorts - $10-$14
ESPN / Pop Century / Art of Animation - $12
Magic Kingdom area - $15-18
International Drive / Convention area - $25
Universal area - $30-$35
Downtown Orlando - $45
Airport - $55

Please note again these are ESTIMATES based only on distance, with some small leeway granted for time at stoplights / tolls for the airport, these quickly became a pain in the rear end to do and I didn't spend a ton of time on it but based on experience it should be mostly right. I chose the 3 areas that are roughly at the 3 corners of the Disney property, if you want to calculate something yourself pop it into Google maps or your map of choice and multiply the miles by 2.4, add 3-4 dollars for the base fee and random error. Also, the route chosen by Google may not always be the shortest route, especially with Disney property laid out the way it is, there are differences between where an address shows up on the map and where a taxi actually has to drop you off.

A note on tipping: tipping 15-20% is considered standard practice but it's not like a waiter/waitress job where their primary income is from the tips only. You are not required to tip. With that said, good tips are especially appreciated for short trips, since we sometimes have to wait in line a long time to get a ride, whether the ride ends up being worth $5 or $100. Side note to the side note - drivers will not give you coin change unless you specifically ask for it, and if you do ask for it they will think you are an rear end in a top hat.

How to Taxi safely
Or, in other words, how to avoid getting taken for a ride. Let's face it, not all taxi drivers are the most honest people in the world. It's an easy job to get and the screening isn't terribly strict, and clueless tourists who have no idea where they are make especially easy targets. And sometimes you get a new driver who just honestly doesn't know the best way to go. How do we avoid all this?

0.1) Adding this section first because it's important -- Before you even get in the car, verify that the cab has a meter, and if you plan to pay by credit card, confirm that the driver accepts credit cards. If they are a Checker cab the answer should be YES to both of these or they are lying to you. All Mears cabs are able to take credit card, if he says it's broken that's bullshit because he doesn't want to take credit card (ok except in the rare cases where it is actually broken, the system does go down sometimes, but it's rare with the new computers). This shouldn't be an issue in 2015 but I still hear stories of drivers not taking cards, these drivers are idiots, please feel free to request another taxi if there are others waiting. Cash IS a better option for us, there's a 6% fee on credit card transactions so we do appreciate cash more, but do not feel obligated to pay cash if a driver is being a bitch about it. Always make sure they turn on the meter when you get in, it is a black box with red LED numbers, it should start at 2.40. If you get in some wierd cab that doesn't have a meter (and I would strongly advise you to not do that), make sure you agree on a price for the trip ahead of time.

1) Before you start moving, make sure the driver knows where your destination is. This is sometimes the toughest step, and the most common place for problems to come up. If you are going to a common destination like the Magic Kingdom or Epcot, etc where there's only one right answer and three's dozens of signs pointing the way it's easy, but what if you are staying at, say, the Hilton hotel? Well, which Hilton? There are literally dozens of hotels with the Hilton name on them. I've actually had someone tell me they were going to the Hilton when they actually wanted to go to the Doubletree hotel which is owned by Hilton. Have an address handy if possible, as that is the surest way to make sure they know the location. Almost all drivers these days have a GPS or smartphone, or at the very least a map book. You don't have to have them spell out the turns they are going to make ahead of time, just make sure that when you tell them where you are going they don't have a confused look on their face. Worst case scenario, if you catch a problem before you leave, you can ask other drivers at the taxi stand for directions, or the hotel staff. Otherwise the driver will have to call dispatch, which can take a while if they're busy with calls.

2) If you have your own smartphone handy, go ahead and pull up the route and offer to show the driver if you aren't confident they know the way. Or just to see for yourself if the way he is going is the same way the map suggests. Again, GPS are not perfect and the driver may take a way that is different, but if they are going a completely opposite direction you may want to speak up. Even if you don't want to be a backseat driver though, pay attention to where the driver is going at all times, if nothing else it will help you learn the area better, and make you more confident on the return trip. If they are the dishonest type, they will be less likely to try taking you the wrong way if they feel you are watching closely.

3) Always make note of the taxi number, even if everything went great. If you leave anything in the cab by mistake, this is the only hope you have of getting it back. If you want to call and complain about (or compliment :)) the driver, this is the best way to identify them. If you don't trust yourself to remember, ask for a printed receipt for the trip and it will have the cab number along with the company phone number if you do need to call for anything. Corrollary to this, make sure when leaving the cab that you and your family did not drop anything in the cab, and make sure to get everything from the trunk if applicable. If you do leave something in the cab you may be charged to have it returned to you, sometimes more than the trip itself cost. You have NO IDEA how many times people forget iphones in the goddamn cabs, it's unfuckingbelievable. Multiple times a day, and that's just the ones I hear about, where they didn't know what cab they were in.

Well that ended up being way longer and harder than I thought it would be, if there's any suggestions/questions feel free to ask, I feel simultaneously like this was way too wordy and also not comprehensive enough, argh. And I don't want to give the impression that all the drivers are bad, most of the drivers at Disney have been doing it 5-7 days a week for years and obviously haven't gotten enough complaints to be fired so on average you should be fine. I also don't want to derail the thread heavily, just providing info for people going to Disney.

Re: groceries from pop century the closest is probably the walmart supercenter on the 535, or if you want an actual grocery store that isn't garbage there's 2 not far from downtown disney, a Winn-Dixie at 11957 South Apopka Vineland Road, and a non-chain place I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, it's at the Crossroads shopping center half a mile before the winn-dixie. Whichever you go to it'll probably be close to $20 one way, but from what I've heard it'll still be easily be worth it if you are stocking up for several days, hotel foods are expensive.
e: oh yeah goodings. Never heard it was sketchy but also never been inside. Here's one more option for groceries near Disney, slightly farther from Pop Century but probably closer if you're near Animal Kingdom, Publix Super Market at Orange Lake Town Center, 14928 East Orange Lake Boulevard, Kissimmee, FL 34747
ee: fuckit while I'm doing this, if you're staying at one of the Magic Kingdom hotels, theres a closer Publix Super Market at Lakeside Village Center, 7880 Winter Garden Vineland Road, Windermere, FL 34786, this one takes you past the super secret Disney University :ssh:

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 18, 2015

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It's goodings and drat is it the sketchiest grocery store I've ever been in.
Mickey's not so scary Halloween party tomorrow night. Not too much has changed from what I can see other than the new stage show.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrYenko posted:

We've both been to Boma, and she's wanted to try Jiko for awhile. We actually have reservations this weekend (well, our weekend; Wednesday,) for Spice Road, just for giggles. I chose it over Marrakesh based entirely on internet reviews. Should I attempt to change it?
They're quite different. Marrakesh is a very nice, sit-down restaurant, and the prices reflect that. Spice Road is a covered patio (though still technically table service) that mostly serves smaller dishes - and tends a bit more toward general Mediterranean food.

You can't go wrong with either, but if you want a really special meal and don't mind paying a bit, go to Marrakesh.

If you just want an excellent taste of the region, any of the three restaurants in Morocco should be fine (disclaimer: I haven't tried Tangerine Café yet, but I may today).

MrYenko posted:

Also; best food in Epcot should be appended to read: Best food in Epcot that isn't Le Cellier. :colbert:
Le Cellier is good, but I feel it's overrated. You can eat at a similar quality steakhouse in literally any city. It's also a poor value on the dining plan since they changed it to a signature restaurant.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 18, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I know this is the Disney thread but I can't find a Universal thread and I'm curious, is anyone going to Horror Nights this year? I just bought my tickets. I'm so stoked.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Skeezy posted:

I know this is the Disney thread but I can't find a Universal thread and I'm curious, is anyone going to Horror Nights this year? I just bought my tickets. I'm so stoked.

I am. The anniversary house this year sounds like it's going to be fantastic, and I'm really interested in looking at that HHN-dedicated gift shop I've heard they've opened.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I really want to do HHN one year, but I am also a giant scaredy-cat who didn't even open her eyes on Haunted Mansion or Indy (at D-land) until I was 18. sssooooooooooo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
On a scale of 1-10, how bad are the haunted houses? Trying to get my wife to go, but she doesn't like jump scares and the like. She loves Haunted Mansion though, and likes things like The Walking Dead but not Paranormal Activity.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you for that write up Indecisive. We will probably go to the Walmart Supercenter. $20 one way sounds crazy to me but yeah it probably is worth it in the end.

Although i've never been to a Winn-Dixie before, what are those?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Bottom Liner posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how bad are the haunted houses? Trying to get my wife to go, but she doesn't like jump scares and the like. She loves Haunted Mansion though, and likes things like The Walking Dead but not Paranormal Activity.

I feel like they're a LOT scarier and gorier than the sanitized Disney version. I've never been but an agent friend of mine went and she was terrified. I have no desire to pee my pants in public, so I'll take a hard pass on HHN.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Thank you for that write up Indecisive. We will probably go to the Walmart Supercenter. $20 one way sounds crazy to me but yeah it probably is worth it in the end.

Although i've never been to a Winn-Dixie before, what are those?

It's just a grocery store that I think is mostly in the southeast USA, it's a somewhat lower-end one (Publix are nicer) and you have to sign up for their store discount card (which is free) to get their sale prices, which are often 'buy one get one free' type deals that change weekly. Walmart is probably going to be cheaper if they have the stuff you want (haven't shopped at a walmart supercenter in years so idk what they're like these days).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My problem with HHN is you are going to be in a long as hell line to get to the houses and you might get a few in before the night is practically over. We have gone maybe five times and each one was the same complaint. They do scare the hell out of you, I give them that and the creepies roaming the park (I don't mean the locals from Apopka or Bithlo) can really scare the poo poo out of you. One year we were only able to get two houses in.. on the flip side some dude with a chainsaw had my attention and suddenly a clown appeared behind me and I suffer from Coulorophobia so needless to say that did not end well at all. And gently caress all if I am not going this year because it is clown themed. gently caress clowns.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I went to the HHN employee preview on Wednesday. It's a very solid year we got all 9 houses done.

It's definitely on the scarier side but it's mostly jump scares. I always get a frequent fear pass and go 6 or 7 times. I'm off to California on Wednesday to do all of Disneyland, horror nights Hollywood and magic mountain.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cais posted:

horror nights Hollywood..

you can get that if you go to South Florida. ;)

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Skeezy posted:

I'll be there during it and am not going, the actors are basically given free reign to do whatever to scare you that it became very uncomfortable for my wife to the point that I had to tell an actor "If you don't stop harassing us, there will be trouble". The haunted houses are huuuuuuuge lines and very few attractions are open. I don't get the appeal besides the theming TBH.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

At AK today and it's so loving hot. I think I picked the one week every South American tourist group on Earth is here.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

demonR6 posted:

(I don't mean the locals from Apopka or Bithlo)

Hey now my wife is from Apopka! Oh god the people there anytime we go visit her parents lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've been attending HHN since 2006, worked as a scareactor in 2012 and 2013, and attended several other theme park haunts and smaller local houses and trails around the country (and I'll be attending more this year).

HHN is actually the tamest in terms of scares out of all the ones I went to. They have really huge production values and free reign to do licensed houses for big name movies, TV shows, and in one case the Resident Evil video games, but they tend to follow a somewhat formulaic pattern of scares and put heavy restrictions on just what the actors can do. We always try to push the envelope, but it's a corporate environment with limited freedom. Most actors even on the street simply walk up and try to scream or shake something or swing their hand toward your face as they pass by or maybe shout something in your ear after sneaking up from behind, then they move on.

For instance, the "three step rule". Actors on the street can only take three steps to follow someone with a scare, then they need to step away. There's strict rules against actually chasing people. To get around this, you move in another direction after every three steps and then move toward the target again. Or you pinball between scares so you always maneuver right back toward the same target. In one case I simply walked about 100 feet behind a girl, making it look like I was just going toward her for a scare but never actually getting close. She ended up so paranoid about what I was planning that she sprinted out of the zone without me ever needing to get close enough to see the whites of her eyes. In 2012 we were given specific rules against looming over people, as my cast was intentionally all over 6 feet (I was the second shortest at 6'2) to fit our Beast characters and we were physically very imposing without any need for stilts.

That said, it can be intense for very jumpy people. If you suffer from panic attacks or anxiety over typical horror movie jump scares, don't go. Also don't go if you're mentally sensitive to loud noises (physical sensitivity is mitigated by earplugs or your hands, but don't go if a really loud noise causes you to suffer PTSD flashbacks or something).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mattfl posted:

Hey now my wife is from Apopka! Oh god the people there anytime we go visit her parents lol

Exactly. Did you know Orange Co. Sheriff will not respond to calls in most areas of Apopka unless two or more units respond? They leave it to Apopka PD..

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

chitoryu12 posted:

We always try to push the envelope, but it's a corporate environment with limited freedom. Most actors even on the street simply walk up and try to scream or shake something or swing their hand toward your face as they pass by or maybe shout something in your ear after sneaking up from behind, then they move on.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

chitoryu12 posted:

For instance, the "three step rule". Actors on the street can only take three steps to follow someone with a scare, then they need to step away. There's strict rules against actually chasing people. To get around this, you move in another direction after every three steps and then move toward the target again. Or you pinball between scares so you always maneuver right back toward the same target. In one case I simply walked about 100 feet behind a girl, making it look like I was just going toward her for a scare but never actually getting close. She ended up so paranoid about what I was planning that she sprinted out of the zone without me ever needing to get close enough to see the whites of her eyes. In 2012 we were given specific rules against looming over people, as my cast was intentionally all over 6 feet (I was the second shortest at 6'2) to fit our Beast characters and we were physically very imposing without any need for stilts.

I saw multiple cast members with chainsaws corner female guests who were obviously very afraid, and try to rattle myself and my wife, but as someone who's had someone put a gun to their head more than once I'm not scared of much in the bully scare zones.

chitoryu12 posted:

That said, it can be intense for very jumpy people. If you suffer from panic attacks or anxiety over typical horror movie jump scares, don't go. Also don't go if you're mentally sensitive to loud noises (physical sensitivity is mitigated by earplugs or your hands, but don't go if a really loud noise causes you to suffer PTSD flashbacks or something).

I would say this is bullshit. "If people chasing you and cornering you with a loving chainsaw makes you uncomfortable. you shouldn't go" is loving ridiculous. It isn't about being "jumpy", it's about having a fun scary time vs a time you think the cast members are taking it way too far.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Man Pants posted:

I saw multiple cast members with chainsaws corner female guests who were obviously very afraid, and try to rattle myself and my wife, but as someone who's had someone put a gun to their head more than once I'm not scared of much in the bully scare zones.

This is simply not allowed. What you saw was a scareactor breaking the rules, and they were likely given a talking to after they went backstage. Things like that happen, but management is constantly trying to stomp it out. Again, I worked as a scareactor in both houses and streets for 2 consecutive years. I'm intimately familiar with what is and is not allowed and I can identify what's actually intended and when someone is breaking the rules. Or if it's not breaking a specifically given rule, they see the behavior and give a note backstage to correct it before someone gets hurt from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I really wish i could go to HHN but get like a special t-shirt or wrist band indicating that I did not want to have anybody interact with me.

I like the ambiance of scary stuff, but if anybody came after me with a chainsaw, I'd probably start sobbing uncontrollably, even though I know drat well they are an actor