Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

jabro posted:

Is this confirmation Braksgirl and yourself have been caught?

No sex on vacations please, the kids are in the next room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

No sex on vacations please, the kids are in the next room.

drat! Why did I ever pick Disney as a honeymoon vacation then?!?!?!

I guess now I've just gotta wait for the 2017 WDW booking to open up for Braksgirl to let me know if my new wife and I can become stars of WDW after hours entertainment.

Thanks for the other recommendations also. California Grill is one of those places I've always wanted to go but could never get the family motivated to try. Several of the deluxe resorts have things I'd love to check out, but finances have never allowed for staying there. The Polynesian, in particular, always held a certain draw. Also I've never had a dole whip even though I've been to Disney like six or seven times. How in the world have I missed them?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

The Wolfen posted:

drat! Why did I ever pick Disney as a honeymoon vacation then?!?!?!

I guess now I've just gotta wait for the 2017 WDW booking to open up for Braksgirl to let me know if my new wife and I can become stars of WDW after hours entertainment.

Thanks for the other recommendations also. California Grill is one of those places I've always wanted to go but could never get the family motivated to try. Several of the deluxe resorts have things I'd love to check out, but finances have never allowed for staying there. The Polynesian, in particular, always held a certain draw. Also I've never had a dole whip even though I've been to Disney like six or seven times. How in the world have I missed them?

We stayed in the Polynesian last year in a split stay (AoA for the other half), and I'll admit that it's really nice. It was relaxing to sit on the beach, and we were able to see the floating parade from our hotel room. The club level food was a nice arrangements of snacks and even made for a tasty light breakfast. But the best feature is that the monorail goes through and saves a good amount of time compared to waiting on the bus.

The Polynesian does have Dole Whips right outside the main lobby. Pretty pretty tasty. :)

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Silly Burrito posted:

We stayed in the Polynesian last year in a split stay (AoA for the other half), and I'll admit that it's really nice. It was relaxing to sit on the beach, and we were able to see the floating parade from our hotel room. The club level food was a nice arrangements of snacks and even made for a tasty light breakfast. But the best feature is that the monorail goes through and saves a good amount of time compared to waiting on the bus.

The Polynesian does have Dole Whips right outside the main lobby. Pretty pretty tasty. :)

How was doing a split stay? I've always wanted to stay at a deluxe, but dunno if I want to pay for one for an entire week.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I thought a split stay was fine. I kind of wish we had done it the other way around with AoA first, Poly second, but it was cheaper to do AoA over the weekend due to higher rates. I feel like it's a great way to see other resorts. Of course, you could get spoiled....lookin at you, Poly Club Level.

And I've never stayed at AKL, so no getting caught on camera. It did happen to a friend of mine though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Fejsze posted:

How was doing a split stay? I've always wanted to stay at a deluxe, but dunno if I want to pay for one for an entire week.

Not bad at all. We actually drove in straight to Orlando Sunday night (14 hours) and stayed at a Comfort Inn. The next day, we went to the Poly and checked in, left our luggage in the car, and took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

Enjoyed the Poly for two nights, then packed it up and moved to the Art of Animation suite for three days. No issues at all, but you do notice little things like the toilet paper and shampoo are of slightly lesser quality than at the Poly.

If I did it again, I might reverse the order (go cheaper first, end in the deluxe). But other than repacking in the week, it really wasn't a hassle and a nice way to test out a deluxe without having to pay a full week for it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Silly Burrito posted:

Not bad at all. We actually drove in straight to Orlando Sunday night (14 hours) and stayed at a Comfort Inn. The next day, we went to the Poly and checked in, left our luggage in the car, and took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

Enjoyed the Poly for two nights, then packed it up and moved to the Art of Animation suite for three days. No issues at all, but you do notice little things like the toilet paper and shampoo are of slightly lesser quality than at the Poly.

If I did it again, I might reverse the order (go cheaper first, end in the deluxe). But other than repacking in the week, it really wasn't a hassle and a nice way to test out a deluxe without having to pay a full week for it.

Holy poo poo. I wouldn't have any kids left if I drove a straight 14 hours.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Braksgirl posted:

And I've never stayed at AKL, so no getting caught on camera. It did happen to a friend of mine though.

Did they get a phone call or something? I'm curious how they knew they were caught.

All I can picture is Disney security calling the room and being like "Hello, sir. This is Disney security calling. We can see what you're doing and you're a very selfish lover. My partner Jim also requests you slap her rear end harder. She seemed to like that"

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm sure she told me but I can't remember. I think there was a note? I'll have to ask her.

jabro posted:

Holy poo poo. I wouldn't have any kids left if I drove a straight 14 hours.

Our kids are seasoned road trippers. We never fly anywhere so they're used to it. And my minivan has a DVD player. I also pack a metric poo poo ton of junk food for them so they'll shut up. ;)

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
I'm having such trouble finding decent flights to Orlando... everything comes in so late that it just destroys the first and last days of the trip. Even expanding to a red-eye the night before comes up with nothing reasonable.

Any tips? We'd rather not have to fly in elsewhere and drive, but Orlando just seems like a goddamn black hole for flights.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

poolside toaster posted:

I'm having such trouble finding decent flights to Orlando... everything comes in so late that it just destroys the first and last days of the trip. Even expanding to a red-eye the night before comes up with nothing reasonable.

Any tips? We'd rather not have to fly in elsewhere and drive, but Orlando just seems like a goddamn black hole for flights.

I've been loving that jetblue has $200-250 round-trip nonstop flights from Austin. :toot:

On the sex-having subject , I got an angry note on the door from my neighbors at the contemporary. Challenge accepted.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still playng the long game on booking tickets for my own trip. I shouldn't be so cheap but I just know it'll drop a few dollars more :mad:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Abu Dave posted:

Still playng the long game on booking tickets for my own trip. I shouldn't be so cheap but I just know it'll drop a few dollars more :mad:

Airfare?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. I'm a baby and only fly jetBlue though.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Here is an article about the best time to book plus the chances of getting a decent deal during different time periods before your flight.

https://www.cheapair.com/blog/cheapair-news/the-best-time-to-buy-a-flight-is-54-days-out-or-is-it/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a cool article thanks. My trip is in december so me wait abit but o well.

Still need to pay off the rest of the vacation and buy tickets to universal :suicide:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm going in Nov and I can get nonstop Southwest flights from NOLA to MCO for $155 each way now so I'm probably going to jump on that..

People always ask me when the best time to buy airfare is and I always say "Personally, whenever the price is to a point that doesn't make me want to throw up, that's when I buy." It works for me.

ETA: And as I typed that, the price went up $13. FFS.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 27, 2016

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I see online resort check in starts 60 days out. Is there anything to be gained by being the first, or is it all the same as long as I do it some time in the window?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I see online resort check in starts 60 days out. Is there anything to be gained by being the first, or is it all the same as long as I do it some time in the window?

It can be beneficial in terms of getting the room you want in the area you want it. If that's important to you, then I say go for it. I always use it, because I have terrible knees and ask to be as close to transportation as possible. sometimes I win the jackpot and get poolside at Art of Animation, and sometimes, it get stuck in a weird building with no view at all, but a fairly short walk to the bus.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does anyone have any experience with the Seas tours at Epcot? We're not dive certified, but it seems like either the Aqua Tour or the Dolphins in Depth tour could be a pretty neat experience.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

poolside toaster posted:

Daytona, Tampa...

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.
Sanford

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ft Myers >>>>>>>>> Tampa

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

poolside toaster posted:

Where are you coming from? Would it be feasible for you to fly in the day before your trip and stay somewhere close the airport and either rent a car or cab it to your resort?

I bought my airfare today. Southwest Nonstop flights from MSY to MCO, roundtrip was just over $300. I get in at 10:40 am on arrival day which is awesome.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My November airfare (NH to Orlando) is sitting at minimum $400. Sweet.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Having a blast at the Polynesian so far. I love the room.
Also, if any goons were in the 5:15 Luau, I was the long haired guest that was chosen to participate. Second time doing the Luau, second time chosen to "dance". At least the crowd got to laugh.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 28, 2016

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
God drat, the new screen and theater at Soarin is gorgeous. And they've got the smells pumped up extra high.

And Patrick finally calls it Soarin' over California instead of being awkwardly edited.

Did not use the third track at Toy Story today though. We got sent to the old one.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Cais posted:

God drat, the new screen and theater at Soarin is gorgeous. And they've got the smells pumped up extra high.

And Patrick finally calls it Soarin' over California instead of being awkwardly edited.

Did not use the third track at Toy Story today though. We got sent to the old one.

Rode the third track today as it was closing and I love it just due to not having a pair of stairs to climb and the air cannons seems to be new and at full strength.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Does Soarin still have the orange smell? I had heard it might not.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
It still has the orange smells. Glad you all are enjoying Soarin! Spent 6 months working on it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Really. What did you do?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Really. What did you do?

picked the oranges for the smell

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also rumor oging aorund that rock n roller coaster will be rethemed to hyperspace mountain

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Abu Dave posted:

picked the oranges for the smell
And peeled them too! But I worked on the mechanics for the new theatre/ride system.

Has anyone else checked out the Jungle show? So far I've heard mixed things about it, but it could also be due to it being the first weekend.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I read the first 13 pages of the thread (holy poo poo what a great OP), then skipped ahead to page 160. Did anything exciting happen between September 2013 and April 2016 that I should know about? Last time I was at WDW was December 2009, for reference.

Braksgirl, is your email address still the one you posted in the first dozen pages of the thread? I would like to contact you to see what you can put together for my group. I am the prime mover of this trip (which includes two DVC members and one ultra-planner who at one point probably knew more about the parks than most cast members), but I live in Tokyo and can't really be bothered to keep an eye out on a daily basis for deals.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Grundulum posted:

I read the first 13 pages of the thread (holy poo poo what a great OP), then skipped ahead to page 160. Did anything exciting happen between September 2013 and April 2016 that I should know about? Last time I was at WDW was December 2009, for reference.

Braksgirl, is your email address still the one you posted in the first dozen pages of the thread? I would like to contact you to see what you can put together for my group. I am the prime mover of this trip (which includes two DVC members and one ultra-planner who at one point probably knew more about the parks than most cast members), but I live in Tokyo and can't really be bothered to keep an eye out on a daily basis for deals.

I can't remember if what I posted is my current email address or not, but it's SSagona@MMVAgent.com. Hope I can help!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
At single digits in my count down today. Getting excited for some animal kingdom nightlife.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

nbakyfan posted:

Has anyone else checked out the Jungle show? So far I've heard mixed things about it, but it could also be due to it being the first weekend.

Let me tell you a story. We had fast passes for the second show last night. First show canceled due to rain. They had a full crew with air blowers etc. We are in line and at 9.55 the CM's tell us second show canceled. In disbelief they would cancel the show almost a full hour before it starts.. we leave. My sister who was at the cancelled 9.30 show gets comped two passes later that evening on the My Disney site. Thinking we would too since ours was cancelled we checked this morning, nothing. Wife called only to find out the show went on anyways. She is.. pissed. Yeah that is a good word. We go tomorrow and Allah help the poor person who gets her tomorrow at Guest Services.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trip report!

Just got home from Hilton Head. I reflected to my girlfriend that other than the addition of modern technology (like Blu-Ray players with laptop connectivity and wifi in the rooms and an expanded food menu at the quick service locations, like a grilled mahi-mahi sandwich), the resort is basically identical to how it was about 15 years ago when I went several times as a child. This isn't a bad thing.

We arrived around 8:00 AM on Friday, and our room wouldn't be ready until about 11:30. Our group (me, my girlfriend, my mom, and a work friend who we felt sorry for and allowed to tag along) rented bikes and the girl and I rode down to Shelter Cove across the harbor to see what was around. Unfortunately, everything that was supposed to be open at 9:00 was still closed as late as 10:00, so we biked back to the resort to hit the pool and get some lunch at Tide Me Over. By that point our room was ready, and we all relaxed until it was time for our 3:00 PM dolphin tour. We actually had a different dolphin tour scheduled that day, but we were called the day before to be informed that the captain had fallen very ill and were recommended to a different tour group at Outside Hilton Head. We had some issues with the slip of paper they gave to the Disney resort staff having the wrong address (it listed the Kroger down the road instead of the marina, but Google Maps steered us in the right direction), but it was otherwise a nice boat ride that got us very close to some noisy dolphins. We ended Friday by driving down to Skull Creek Boathouse for dinner by the river, followed by a quick stop at Kroger for basics.

Saturday was a more relaxing day because Tropical Storm Bonnie started to hit Charleston about 100 miles north, so the rain put a damper on most outdoor activities. It was my 24th birthday, so my girlfriend made a breakfast of steak & eggs with Funfetti pancakes that we ate on the porch as clouds rolled over the Broad Creek marsh. There was enough time before the rain for us to go back to Shelter Cove for the Hilton Head Art Festival, and we got some peach honey sticks and I bought her a fleur-de-lis headband for our 6 months. Got some ice cream, then returned to the resort to watch Deadpool and relax in bed before dinner. We went to A Lowcountry Backyard, a very small restaurant nearby with more seats outdoors than indoors. Like last year, the food was excellent and I seriously suggest that anyone going to Hilton Head visits it. It's one of the best restaurants on the whole island, but you have to arrive as soon as dinner starts to ensure a seat because they don't take reservations. We stopped at Barnes & Noble in the rain to pick up some books and LPs before coming back.

Sunday was a bit more adventurous, starting with us driving down to Lawton Stables for a 2 hour trail ride. Miraculously, the rain stopped exactly long enough for the majority of our ride to take place before drizzling again as the stable came back into view. Lawton is a great place to take a horse ride even if you can barely hear the trail guide from the back, though the exact quality of your experience depends on how temperamental your horse is; I got Petunia, the same horse as last year, and we had a good understanding of where to go and how to not scrape me off with a tree. My girlfriend's horse, Bonita, was "just as much of a brat as I am" according to her and outright refused to walk on asphalt or through puddles unless absolutely necessary. My mom got Pirate, who was very slow-paced and kept trying to stop for snacks on random brush. We got breakfast after the ride at Stack's near the Disney resort; it was pretty decent, but incredibly crowded and tried very hard to push out the food as fast as possible.

Amazingly, Disney's planned Memorial Day barbecue on Sunday still went on despite being caught on the edge of a tropical storm. They set up a buffet of barbecue ribs and chicken, burgers, hot dogs, and baked beans (with apple pie and watermelon slices for dessert) inside at the beach house and kept activities like ring toss and a balloon animal guy under cover, so we could still have a nice barbecue in the rain. A ton of families had canceled because of the weather, but enough stayed to justify keeping the barbecue on. My girlfriend signed us up for the ice cream drop contest: I would lay on the ground wearing an apron and science goggles with a waffle cone between my teeth, and she would try to drop scoops of ice cream into the cone from shoulder height. She got one scoop perfectly into the cone, and then immediately began missing on purpose and landing it on my face so she wouldn't have to beat any children. She even started smearing the ice cream on my face at the end. She and the spectators ended up enjoying it a lot more than I did; it felt like I was in a very strange BDSM situation.

Overall, Hilton Head is probably the most relaxing of all the Disney resorts. It's heavily geared toward families and children, but there's not a ton of activities on the island vying for limited time. There's just nice restaurants, stores, and relaxing walks and bike rides around. It's a good place to unwind, unlike a Walt Disney World resort where you're desperately trying to fit theme parks in between sleeping or a place like NYC where you start running out of time for things you want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

demonR6 posted:

Let me tell you a story. We had fast passes for the second show last night. First show canceled due to rain. They had a full crew with air blowers etc. We are in line and at 9.55 the CM's tell us second show canceled. In disbelief they would cancel the show almost a full hour before it starts.. we leave. My sister who was at the cancelled 9.30 show gets comped two passes later that evening on the My Disney site. Thinking we would too since ours was cancelled we checked this morning, nothing. Wife called only to find out the show went on anyways. She is.. pissed. Yeah that is a good word. We go tomorrow and Allah help the poor person who gets her tomorrow at Guest Services.

If what I'm hearing about the show is true, you probably didn't miss much.
I hear the Tree of Life Awakens is pretty amazing though and it sounds like Tiffins food is off the charts good and Nomad Lounge looks so comfy holy poo poo, so I guess 3/4 ain't bad