Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I stayed at the Grand Californian as a kid once, had close to three families in a room for one night. It was fantastic, but no way are we paying over $1000 to stay there now.

Also, no way are we gonna miss out on Trader Sam's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hollywood Studios is a loving furnace today. Heat index got up to 108. Kill me.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I stayed at the Grand Californian as a kid once, had close to three families in a room for one night. It was fantastic, but no way are we paying over $1000 to stay there now.

Also, no way are we gonna miss out on Trader Sam's.

Grand Californian == gorgeous lobby, nice facilities, tiny expensive rooms.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012
I've stayed at a few places around Disneyland and the Disneyland hotel before and I really don't think that the onsite hotel is worth it. As for the the other ones:

Red Lion & the Sheraton Park are both fine. no complaints and generally a little cheaper/not sold out as quickly as the ones directly across the street and aren't really that far from the gates (15-20 minute walk).

The Hotel Menage, which usually has a bunch of deals/ads, on the other hand is about the same total distance away but I wouldn't recommend it. It lacks the Disney feel crossing over the highway feels like this mental barrier to me. There's not a whole lot of places to get food/snacks nearby (Taco Bell, Starbucks and couple of gas stations that I can recall).

I'm going in August and staying at the Convention Centre Hilton so it's good to hear that it's a good place.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Tried mowing the lawn today and I did the bare minimum to look average before running back into the house. It's unbearable.

7:00 PM and the heat index is 100 degrees.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Did I post the pic of my car telling me it was 109 outside yesterday afternoon?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I passed out hard and slept through the entire Frozen sing along. Woke up covered in Olaf jizz.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god no, you went into the Frozen area?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The show at HS. It's pretty funny (fantastic hosts) and my friends had never seen it, so I used the opportunity to sleep. Now I'm having beer.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
When we went to DLR we stayed at the Anaheim majestic garden hotel. There is a free shuttle to the park (a nice shuttle) or you could walk. The ride is about 5 minutes, I think the walk is like 30 minutes as the hotel is not as close as the ones across the street. The room was huge and the place was nice. They have a good brunch. It's a good neighbor hotel so you can buy tickets there. They have a pool but it doesn't have a kiddie area.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

BlueBayou posted:

Any of the places across the street from Disneyland are fine

I usually stay at the Tropicana

Disneyland hotel is nice and fine and all that. But if you are staying at the Grand Californian, you'll have gotten the amazing experience.

The most important thing is to go to Trader Sam's and order the old drinks like kungaloosh, black pearl and neverland tea.

How is the Tropicana? I am looking at it (or the Park Vue) for my trip in August.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm eyeballing Park Vue myself.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Tropicana was totally fine. I spend very little time in my hotel room when i am at Disneyland, so it served very well.

It was clean and quiet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Girlfriend and I are currently the last people in the Frozen FastPass line. The ride has been down intermittently, the latest over an hour of being powered down and then tested thoroughly after repairs.

Edit: The ride is being evacuated. Looks like another hour+ shutdown. The ride is borked.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 26, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theyre not on a good string are they after rivers of lgith and now this

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It baffles me that they did no testing or soft opens for this thing. Mine Train was soft opened about three or four weeks before the official opening so they could work out the bugs. universal has been soft opening Kong for about a month now and still haven't released an opening date. Softs and Tests work to get this poo poo under control.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
How is Frozen looking, besides intermittent shutdowns and amazing animatronics?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anya posted:

How is Frozen looking, besides intermittent shutdowns and amazing animatronics?

From the videos I saw, the whole second half of the ride maintains an identical or almost identical track to the Maelstrom. This makes it basically Frozen-themed Maelstrom in terms of thrill level, if that's what you're looking for. I still find it incredibly fitting that a ride called Frozen is basically never moving; from 12:30 to 1:45 the ride was totally down with no predictions as to when it would be back up, and this was after we waited about 2.5 hours to almost get on the boat (2 hours of which were spent waiting for the ride to be repaired before finally shutting down completely) and about half an hour before that of eating breakfast because it was broken down when we arrived around 10:00.

Instead we went to Animal Kingdom and had a much better time. We rode the safari in a storm, which brought out all the animals from hiding until they were closer than ever to the truck (the lions even perched on rocks and the male came out to watch the truck go by). We did the Maharajah Jungle Trek and got within a foot of most of the exotic birds because they're not at all scared of humans and have the full run of the place.

We also ate at Tiffins, which was almost completely empty because it's shoved off the trail on what will later be the path to Pandora with a tiny sign that's hard to spot from the main trail. It certainly deserves all the excellent reviews, but it's very expensive: entrees are $34 to $53 and the appetizers are half that and just barely big enough for two to share. That said, the food is worth the price. The duck breast came with cauliflower puree and peaches and the flavor profile of all three combined worked.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 27, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tiffins is signature dining, like California Grill. Pretty awesome stuff that I'm sure will be a big hit once they start marketing it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Animal Kingdom best park ©

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Our waiter at Tiffins also recommended doing Everest and Kilimanjaro at night. He says that the tunnels in Everest become truly pitch black 100% of the way through and very disorienting and the animals come out more on the safari. He even heard the lion roaring.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody know how far out they're updating park hours? I'm trying to reserve Yak & Yeti for dinner (post-5pm) on November 11th, but they still only have the park hours listed until 5pm.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Anybody know how far out they're updating park hours? I'm trying to reserve Yak & Yeti for dinner (post-5pm) on November 11th, but they still only have the park hours listed until 5pm.

Those are the current updated park hours for that date. If they extend the hours, it could be any day. There's no real set time frame. Some days they will decide day of to extend park hours.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I never even thought about Everest at night. That has to be spectacular.

Never rode Maelstrom, my first visit wasn't until Oct 15. Hopefully by November, it's all figured out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everest is amazing at night. Totally different ride.

Kali, not so much :|

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Kali.. at night.. in the summer.. that was just refurbished making people come off the ride like there are 50 gallon buckets of water dumped on them as they enter and exit the ride? Fun times.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
For me, the funnest thing about that ride wasn't even riding it, it was standing on the nearby bridge and making the elephant statues spray the people in the rafts.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

For me, the funnest thing about that ride wasn't even riding it, it was standing on the nearby bridge and making the elephant statues spray the people in the rafts.

I like that you can do it for free. At Universal you have to cough up quarters to spray people on Ripsaw Falls

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fantastic video of the new Star Wars fireworks spectacular. Even with the fireworks mostly to the right, they did a great job working in a challenging layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkuzwjbiCtU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
That looks incredible.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Fantastic video of the new Star Wars fireworks spectacular. Even with the fireworks mostly to the right, they did a great job working in a challenging layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkuzwjbiCtU

I think we found all the money they saved by shutting down LMA.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Lots of info was released about food and wine this year. I'm super disappointed that the party for the senses isn't going on the first weekend in November, so I've missed it two years in a row. It looks like the only new country is the return of the Caribbean, but there's supposed to be a lot of food changes at individual booths. No word on the premium package quite yet...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoyed the Star Wars fireworks, but people I was with were disappointed that the quality of the fireworks wasn't as good as previous shows with the emphasis put on the projections. I'm not sure how many places give a good view of all the screens too, I could see 2 clearly but the 3rd was a push at times.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just booked flights for a short trip 10/29-11/2 to get some Halloween party along with food and wine fest and get more mileage out of the AP.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Richard M Nixon posted:

Lots of info was released about food and wine this year. I'm super disappointed that the party for the senses isn't going on the first weekend in November, so I've missed it two years in a row. It looks like the only new country is the return of the Caribbean, but there's supposed to be a lot of food changes at individual booths. No word on the premium package quite yet...

We're planning our annual Food and Wine trip around my mom's birthday this year (though I won't be there for the full time because as it turns out, October is a pretty big deal when working on a presidential campaign), and I'll be arriving on the day of the last Trader Sam's event and leaving the day after a Party for the Senses. This is shaping up to be a pretty dope F&W year for me.

Of course, for my dad's 65th birthday next year my parents are going to Aulani since they've never been to Hawaii, and they're going to make a stop off in California to see Disneyland since we pretty much never go to that side of the country. DVC is pretty great, y'all.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like a big dumb idiot but I can't find any of the info in terms of schedule about Food and Wine etc. Can someone post all that info? I'd love to learn more about this Trader Sams event and its dates!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tim Whatley posted:

I feel like a big dumb idiot but I can't find any of the info in terms of schedule about Food and Wine etc. Can someone post all that info? I'd love to learn more about this Trader Sams event and its dates!

As far as Food and Wine goes, Disney Food Blog is your best friend.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Disney removing gator references from parks:
http://nyp.st/298qFag

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's old news and not permanent changes. They're just getting the whole thing out of the public's thought for now until the news cycle moves on. It's a big PR move, out of sight, out of mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Bottom Liner posted:

That's old news and not permanent changes. They're just getting the whole thing out of the public's thought for now until the news cycle moves on. It's a big PR move, out of sight, out of mind.

Ya. If they were serious about permanently removing alligators/crocs they'd have to shut down Peter Pan since the last scene in the ride is Captain Hook standing on tic-tocks jaws (if I remember correctly). Unless they just throw a curtain over that part.

Although they should probably get rid of Peter Pan anyway since it has poo poo capacity.