Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Abu Dave posted:

I got a question...how come people freak out so much over Journey to Your Imagination? Is the original one that everyone loves so much that much different from the one we have now?

I'm sure someone can speak to it in greater detail, but it was a fair bit more whimsical, and the Dreamfinder is probably more memorable than Eric Idle (no matter how much fun he is). I suspect some of the nostalgia, too, is for ImageWorks, the area that was on the second floor. You can go back and forth on the merits of two attractions, but changing something from an interaction area to a place for DVC members to get some soda is a pretty rough sell for the 90% of us that don't have a Disney timeshare.

POV vids weren't all the rage back then like they are now, but you can still find decent quality videos of the old attraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The original was a Tony Baxter masterpiece during the golden age of Disney omnimover attractions with classic original characters and songs.

The current version is a half-assed version of the quarter-assed version that replaced it.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Beautiful night at food and wine tonight. We are hitting up all the classics such as the shrimp tacos from Mexico and cheddar soup from Canada. They changed the stamps to stickers this year, and the passport comes with all the stickers. Luckily it's fairly crowded- glad to see AP holders are still flocking after a slow summer.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah watching that video it seems more like your spaceship earth type ride. Dream finder looked cool too

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Looking at taking another Disney trip at the end of February. Do they usually offer on-site discounts of any kind around that time?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I gotta ask, was there always such love for the ride? Or is it more of a reaction to something that is now gone and can no longer be experienced as it first was?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Boxman posted:

You both are the best. This thread. So magical. :sparkles:

Got the pin. Email me at defeldus at gmail and I'll get it mailed Monday.

EPCOT is packed today. About to see Fuel to please my 7th grade self.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I gotta ask, was there always such love for the ride? Or is it more of a reaction to something that is now gone and can no longer be experienced as it first was?

I would guess that. I mean, it's one of the last remaining "original based" dark rides in the parks, but tbh when I rode it last year I thought it was probably one of the worst rides in all the parks, and it doesn't seem that changed. :shrug:

Horizons and World of Motion, I wish i got to see those though. They atleast look cool.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

snickles posted:

Looking at taking another Disney trip at the end of February. Do they usually offer on-site discounts of any kind around that time?

Yes, usually.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If we're talking about the original Journey Into Imagination, it might be a "you had to be there" kind of deal. But you know how awesome and immersive the "Under the Sea" set in the Little Mermaid ride is as you enter and travel through it? Yeah, imagine that but for mostly the entire ride. Better effects too, given what they were working with. It was also one of the vanishingly few rides in O.G. EPCOT that had obvious kid-appeal; the rest of the park being Educational with a capital E, this was more just for fun (though still though-provoking). And the Image Works, which the ride exit segued into wonderfully, gave you an interactive element that was more "make music!" or "be in our pretend play!" than "smell my skunk farts!"

That said, I weep for Horizons more.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Journey into Imagination was the first ride I ever went on at Disney World and it's one of my strongest childhood theme park memories, so I miss the ride because of that. It was also very innovative ride technology for the time (which was also part of it's downfall, it turned out to be nearly impossible to properly maintain)

In other news: You know what is rad? having a roommate that is a Merchandise coordinator for World Showcase who brings home free batches of carmel popcorn from Karmel Kuche.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 25, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just got the email that my YesterEars shirt was shipped!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
m

chitoryu12 posted:

Just got the email that my YesterEars shirt was shipped!

mine too cant wait

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I just realized my trip begins in about 45 days. :stare:

We have yet to buy park tickets, so I'm kind of debating whether I want a multi park pass for day two at Disney. For sure we're doing only Magic Kingdom on the first day, since it's a full day. Is Epcot enough to keep us busy for an entire day, or would it be wise to keep our options open so we can explore other places if we're done looking around that day?

I still can't believe we're doing Be Our Guest AND the Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom! I can't believe I finally get to go to Disney World! :3:

Bottom Liner, I'm keeping a copy of your Universal recommendation guide! My husband and I are going to try to check out all of Universal in just one day, so that's really helpful.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Cheese Pain posted:

We have yet to buy park tickets, so I'm kind of debating whether I want a multi park pass for day two at Disney. For sure we're doing only Magic Kingdom on the first day, since it's a full day. Is Epcot enough to keep us busy for an entire day, or would it be wise to keep our options open so we can explore other places if we're done looking around that day?

I still can't believe we're doing Be Our Guest AND the Christmas Party at Magic Kingdom! I can't believe I finally get to go to Disney World! :3:

Bottom Liner, I'm keeping a copy of your Universal recommendation guide! My husband and I are going to try to check out all of Universal in just one day, so that's really helpful.

Are you getting a multi day ticket? Because if you do, you can't just buy the hopper option for one day, it has to be for the length of your ticket.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Epcot is (at least) a full day park for 99% of people, I think. If you have two days at Disneyworld, it's less "can I fill a day at Epcot" and more "is there something at AK or HS I absolutely have to see."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Isn't Food & Wine still going on in 45 days? Last day is 11/14. That'll easily help Epcot take up a full day even if you skip some things.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'd say Epcot is full-day unless you have small (or impatient) children with you, in which case most of the World Showcase will be wasted on them. There's a ton to see, eat, and drink.

Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are good half-day expeditions, along with the water parks.

Speaking of the water parks, going on a rainy morning during the off-season is the best. No crowds, no sunburns, and it's still usually plenty warm enough to walk around in a swimsuit.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

43 days for me!

Excited to hear that Rivers of Light is coming along. I got to ride Everest at night around 2006-2008 when they did EMH there. I really want to do that again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Cheese Pain posted:

Also remember that you can get into magic Kingdom early with your Christmas party ticket, so you can almost treat that day as a park hopper for free if you wake up early and finish up a day at another park and then show up at magic Kingdom for 4 (I think 4pm is when you can start entering using the party ticket, feel free to correct me)

thescience
Jul 18, 2006
Anyone going to check out the Muppet thing in the magic kingdom when it starts on the 2nd? I'm doing the Halloween party next Friday and will be curious if it will be worth it to try and rush to liberty square at 4 to catch the last show.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Disney Visa Stay Play Dine is out this morning. Should be available for general public on Monday. Good for stays from Jan 1 - to Apr 8. Typical resort exclusions apply.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yesssss

I couldn't get a good picture of the back while wearing it, but it has the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center logo just below the neck.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
We're starting to plot out next year's travel calendar for work and two events we probably want to cover are back to back in Orlando in February, so it looks like I'll get to tack on a few extra days in Disney on the end! Braksgirl, I'll hit you up once I know the dates. It'll be a short easy trip I could plan myself but goon commissions are good. Now I just need to think of what resort to try this time.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Yesssss

I couldn't get a good picture of the back while wearing it, but it has the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center logo just below the neck.

So sick. Mine gets here today! Step on it, UPS.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

http://www.themainstreetmouse.com/2016/09/29/wdw-annual-passholder-discount-to-increase-to-20/

Passholdrr discounts increasing to 20%, seemingly permanently. Pretty sweet.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bottom Liner posted:

http://www.themainstreetmouse.com/2016/09/29/wdw-annual-passholder-discount-to-increase-to-20/

Passholdrr discounts increasing to 20%, seemingly permanently. Pretty sweet.

Oh wow. What is the purpose of tables in Wonderland anymore then?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

effervescible posted:

We're starting to plot out next year's travel calendar for work and two events we probably want to cover are back to back in Orlando in February, so it looks like I'll get to tack on a few extra days in Disney on the end! Braksgirl, I'll hit you up once I know the dates. It'll be a short easy trip I could plan myself but goon commissions are good. Now I just need to think of what resort to try this time.

Sounds good. All I need to do is make the initial booking. You're free to do the rest of the planning yourself if you like.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

Braksgirl posted:

Are you getting a multi day ticket? Because if you do, you can't just buy the hopper option for one day, it has to be for the length of your ticket.

I did not know that. Thank you!

couldcareless posted:

Also remember that you can get into magic Kingdom early with your Christmas party ticket, so you can almost treat that day as a park hopper for free if you wake up early and finish up a day at another park and then show up at magic Kingdom for 4 (I think 4pm is when you can start entering using the party ticket, feel free to correct me)

That's also a very good point.

Much appreciation to those who indicated Epcot can be a full day with tons to see. We don't have kids, so we can take our time in the World Showcase. I think the only reason I'd want to go to either of the other parks would be to eat at the Hollywood Studios 50's style diner, and I'm not so sure only that's worth a multi park pass.

But I really miss Johnny Rockets, and I love 50's diners. :sigh:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Cheese Pain posted:

Much appreciation to those who indicated Epcot can be a full day with tons to see. We don't have kids, so we can take our time in the World Showcase. I think the only reason I'd want to go to either of the other parks would be to eat at the Hollywood Studios 50's style diner, and I'm not so sure only that's worth a multi park pass.
Hollywood Studios is kind of lacking right now, but I love Animal Kingdom. It's like a really good zoo with a bunch of extra stuff and Expedition Everest, which is currently my favorite coaster at Disney.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AK also has my two favorite stage shows; Nemo and Lion King.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It also has Nomad Lounge which is probably one of the most relaxing bars on grounds

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

couldcareless posted:

It also has Nomad Lounge which is probably one of the most relaxing bars on grounds

I just went there (with some former goons) and holy moly, it's lovely. I loved the atmosphere so much and it's amazing that such a quiet place is tucked away inside a theme park.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that place new? I had no idea it existed; we usually go to the bar that serves alcoholic dole whips and behind it is like a hidden area where you can sit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

Is that place new? I had no idea it existed; we usually go to the bar that serves alcoholic dole whips and behind it is like a hidden area where you can sit.

Yeah, it's the lounge attached to Tiffins. Which itself is an awesome, high end restaurant. It's on the little path going behind Pizzafari, toward the construction walls for Pandora.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

It's typically super quiet because that path is a dead end. Once Pandora opens up, I'd think that place would see more business. But who knows, apparently the food is slightly more adventurous than the typical fare so it might just stay empty forever.

I feel like I should post my thoughts about some specific things we did before everything merges into one giant ball of pixie dust and becomes retroactively awesome. Some of it might help people who are planning!

Both my SO and I loved The Wave at the Contemporary. The atmosphere is non-magical, but if you're taking a trip without little ones, the food is so excellent that it's worth giving up a meal that screams Disney a little louder. MK is so thin on good table service that this feels like a no brainer. Leaving the park is absolutely a bit of a hassle, but it's worth it.

Ohana was also a winner. The food is very good - falls short of great, I think - but the view of the castle across the Lagoon combined with the energetic atmosphere really bring a wonderful Disney touch. This was our last table service meal, and at various times we each teared up a bit.

Both Skipper Canteen and Sanaa were fine. I liked Skipper Canteen a lot while my SO was lukewarm, and the opposite was true of Sanaa. Skipper Canteen is more fun if you enjoy the horrible dad jokes of the Jungle Cruise, of course, while Sanaa's atmosphere is great (waiting for a window table is worth it.) Sanaa is also nice because honestly, the AK Lodge is worth seeing on its own. We spent maybe 45 minutes before and after dinner wandering around and looking at the savannah. It's a very pretty hotel.

We got the free dining promotion (thanks again Braksgirl!), and while we hope to go during the promotion again, we've thought about whether we'd spring for the dining plan. We've settled on a tentative yes. Here's the thing - it absolutely is a ton of food and a lot of it will end up sweet (desserts with every meal + snacks that frequently end up being dessert-ish). So, right off the top, if anyone in your party is a light eater or if "eat 3-4 desserts a day" doesn't sound like their idea of a good time, don't do it. It's also hard to argue that the DDP is worth it in the strict financial sense. It's not incredibly difficult to buy things on the plan that add up to its cost (and this has been more true this year, when quick service prices went up more than usual), but you still have to try. If I set aside $60/day per person, I probably could stay in that budget without too much difficulty. That being said, there is something very luxurious about being able to look at a menu and ignore prices that day. If you've ever stayed at an all inclusive resort, it's very much a similar feeling. For me, even if I know I have money budgeted for a specific meal, I'd be hesitant to order the entree that's more expensive than anything else on the menu. I certainly wouldn't have gotten dessert at every meal. This effect will vary from person to person, so I can't honestly say how much it should sway you, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

A random note about the dining plan that we found out a couple days in - at most restaurants, any non-alcoholic beverage is included. At Sci Fi Dine-In, my SO got a milkshake for her beverage. Cost-effective and delicious! I took to getting coffee with dessert rather than a soda near the end of the trip, which was also included.

Meanwhile, Memory Maker is an automatic purchase for us in the future. Obviously the cost is easier to stomach if your trip is longer, but honestly, having access to all your photos and their digital rights is fantastic. While it's true that the photog will be happy to take a snapshot or two with your camera, some of the best stuff in our photo set came from the non-posed moments.

Tips for using the Photopass photographers: First, find ones that are under utilized. They're likely to take their time with you and have some fun. We found a photographer on the back path between Test Track and Innoventions when no one else was around, and he spent maybe 10 minutes posing us in the gardens back there. There aren't park icons in those pictures, but they're gorgeous. It was like a very tiny personal photography session. And in general, play along and be energetic! Try different poses, be open to suggestions, exaggerate a lot. It makes the photos way more fun, and if you're having fun with them, your photographer is probably more likely to suggest something more out of the ordinary. You don't need 300 photos of your party standing next to each other smiling in front of Disney Thing.

I already posted my thoughts on the Aqua Seas tour at Epcot, but here they are again so everything is in one post: It was really, really cool and I would recommend it in an instant. The backstage stuff was fine, but nothing you probably couldn't see at a local aquarium if you throw them some money.

Then you walk into the room with the big pool and holy poo poo is it impressive. Notably, the turtles were very curious and got pretty close (although we were reminded several times that, due to some federal regulations, touching them is actually a crime). I think maybe my favorite part, though, is that you're on stage while you're in the water. I had a blast waving to kids and getting excited waves back through the glass. It's so incredibly cheesy, but thinking that maybe I made a memory really elevated it for me from just a (very cool) swim to something very Disney.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 30, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Animal Kingdom is my favorite park so this makes me more excited. I don't understand how people say it's only a half day park, I've gone to that park like three times spending a full day there and still have yet to do everything :shrug:. But, I don't skip Hester and chester or the animal encounters. MGM and Epcot are the half day parks to me :shrug:

I still haven't done the lion trials, seen Lion King, explored all the shops etc. Hell now I have a bar to go to too!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The safari at night is freaking amazing. We went a few weeks ago just to do the safari at night and I don't think we've ever seen so many animals. 3 lions were out and about moving around on top of their rocks, it was pretty awesome. The lighting they did throughout the ride is absolutely amazing how they did it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just found out a tech conference I go to will be in Orlando next year. Already trying to figure out if I can sneak away at night to WDW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

skipdogg posted:

Just found out a tech conference I go to will be in Orlando next year. Already trying to figure out if I can sneak away at night to WDW

Microsoft should be renting out one of the parks for the Thursday night party.