Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tunga posted:

I take it the "waterfall" is not actually made of water?

It's a standard flume drop, which is to say, water does pour down it, but it's most steel and mechanisms to keep the boat straight. and yeah, there isn't a whole lot of space between the boats and where the metal barriers underwater are.

I am picturing stumpy mcgee being like "hey kids, watch this", thus leading to many years of therapy for said kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
On a whim, my wife and I both had a really lovely week, incidentally, after having an amazing weekend staying at Disney's Vero Beach reort, and decided to get a room in Orlando and go out for dinner. Everything was going so wonderfully. And then we went to Blizzard Beach, where we'd never been. And what did we find? Tour groups. Brazilian tour groups. As far as the eye could see. Holy poo poo Blizzard Beach can't handle tour groups.

Although on the three slides we got to experience, they were awesome!

Also, quick food review, if you're ever in Downtown Disney and decide to go to Paradiso 37, it's basically the Americanized version of Bongos. Good food, but just order the Argentinian skirt steak and call it a day.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There's a huge complaint thread on disboards (surprise surprise, but bear with me) about how POC's been bashing people around (and soaking them to the bone). Maybe the guy's hand just fell over the side at the wrong second after getting rattled around a bit.

E: VVVV if that's what he did, that's pretty drat dumb.

haha, I think I posted on that thread at some point. But yeah, the boats were changed out. I don't think the ride is any rougher than it has ever been, but the boats are lighter and dip more into the water at the end of the drop. Plus, if the boat is at capacity with adults (more weight), you can feel every last metal beam and roller underneath it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Brief Universal Chat: Holy poo poo, is Escape from Gringotts an awesome ride. I actually found it to be worth the wait, which was nuts. The extended queue was so big they had people selling bottles of juice and water and even sandwiches like it was a baseball game.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Brief Universal Chat: Holy poo poo, is Escape from Gringotts an awesome ride. I actually found it to be worth the wait, which was nuts. The extended queue was so big they had people selling bottles of juice and water and even sandwiches like it was a baseball game.

What's the queue like? Does it have an outdoor section like the greenhouse over at Forbidden Journey that sucks to go through?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

That's something Universal has always done for really long lines, which I appreciate. Surprisingly, the Spiderman ride was a line that was consistently way too long for a long time. I'm not sure if it's still there, but they eventually built in a small concessions stand adjacent to its queue.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Circutron posted:

What's the queue like? Does it have an outdoor section like the greenhouse over at Forbidden Journey that sucks to go through?

Sort of, but it's an actual roof, so you are in the shade (and they have ceiling fans that help, but for now they also have the big misting fans pointed at the queue as well) I appreciate the level of theming that even extends to the extended queue. They have one of the actual Gringotts carts from the movie on display and have ads for the bank posted through out. An interesting difference between this and Forbidden Journey is that when the Extended Queue isn't needed, you can just walk into the lobby of the bank. Forbidden Journey still requires you to walk up that ramp into the greenhouse area (or at least they did when I last walked through the castle)

I also was thrilled because hey, I was allowed to ride, which is rare for Universal thrill rides. Usually I am a tad too big.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

I also was thrilled because hey, I was allowed to ride, which is rare for Universal thrill rides. Usually I am a tad too big.

Bah, their rides are a tad too small..

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I was really fond of the dueling dragons queue as well. RIP. There were a couple of great halls, each showing the carnage of fire and ice based dragon breath. Like a lord's high table and its knights frozen in midair. Then you'd wind down into the catacombs which were appropriately claustrophobic and skull-filled. Finally you'd come out of a ruined cliffside tower to the loading area. It was a HELLA long queue and I'd hate to actually have to wait through it, but when I always went you'd just walk leisurely through the rest till you got to the loading area.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I got all excited that is was getting put up in the Disney Grand Californian until I realized I'm going to Orlando not Anaheim and travel messed up. :(. No word on where I'm really staying yet.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nathilus posted:

I was really fond of the dueling dragons queue as well. RIP. There were a couple of great halls, each showing the carnage of fire and ice based dragon breath. Like a lord's high table and its knights frozen in midair. Then you'd wind down into the catacombs which were appropriately claustrophobic and skull-filled. Finally you'd come out of a ruined cliffside tower to the loading area. It was a HELLA long queue and I'd hate to actually have to wait through it, but when I always went you'd just walk leisurely through the rest till you got to the loading area.

Universal does some boss-rear end queue lines. Disney does too, depending on the ride, but drat. Once you get inside the bank at Gringotts, it's just intensly immersive, and it feels like you are in a much larger world than you are in. It also has a weird experimental take on the ride photo where you get your "bank indentification photo" taken in the queue, and you can choose to purchase it later. I am not sure if this will last because it slows down the queue a bit, but it is certainly interesting (and it solves the problem that there is nowhere on the ride where a photo would work)

This ride also has a really cool pre-show effect that is kind of Universal's take on the Haunted Mansion stretching room. Really nifty.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

FYI, the 2015 Disney package prices are going to be available on July 30. I'm happy to assist anyone who needs trip planning help.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Went to Hollywood Studios for lunch and a walk today, and Star Tours was down for a good chunk of my time there. I had no idea Star Tours even really went down. I was under the assumption that each "speeder" was it's own ride system, so if one broke, they could just not load it and use the others. I can't imagine a scenario where the whole ride breaks.

Anyone in the know have any insight?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Went to Hollywood Studios for lunch and a walk today, and Star Tours was down for a good chunk of my time there. I had no idea Star Tours even really went down. I was under the assumption that each "speeder" was it's own ride system, so if one broke, they could just not load it and use the others. I can't imagine a scenario where the whole ride breaks.

Anyone in the know have any insight?

Those rides are all on hydraulics and there is surely some main computer somewhere as well.. if either of those two go on the fritz then it can bring the ride down.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
It could be any multitude of reasons. Lightning strikes, main computer faults, safety audit checks, major VIP visit, someone could have gotten hurt on the ride and they brought the whole thing down until it got checked, they may not have enough staffing for the attraction...

Any multitude of things, really.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

What's the easiest way to get costumed workers fired?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Are the mechanical dolls that are part of the 'small world' ride within striking distance of the train you ride?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

What are the penalties for beating the guy in the goofy costume? Do they call the police or do they just kick you out?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What's the easiest way to get costumed workers fired?

Be their girlfriend/boyfriend and gently caress them back stage in costume.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Are the mechanical dolls that are part of the 'small world' ride within striking distance of the train you ride?

It's a boat and one or two may be, but if you go for'em you're gonna get thrown out of the park.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What are the penalties for beating the guy in the goofy costume? Do they call the police or do they just kick you out?

Depends on what coast you're on, but these days you have a higher chance of being hit with assault charges than ever.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Matoi Ryuko posted:

No, but you should definitely jump out of the boat and work you way over to one and vandalize it.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Other than being arrested, thrown in the Orange County jail, trespassed from all the Disney properties and make the news..

I would gladly get you a pass to the Magic Kingdom provided you guarantee that you will try one of those two so I can record it and post it on YouTube it because people love watching the evolution of stupid online.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

At a minimum you'd get banned from all Disney properties.

The guy who wrote Darkside of Disney actually has a story about one of his friends that got banned for life from Disney for trying to sneak into Epcot without paying when he was a teen. Something like 15 years later his fiancée wanted to go to Disney World for their honeymoon. While he was on the phone trying to make a reservation he got transferred to someone who was like "Is this Mr. [Name]? Do you live at [current address]? Did you live at [former address from 15 years ago]? Sorry, you're banned from disney. If you show up on property you'll be arrested".

They don't gently caress around with security, and if you get banned for doing something stupid they will keep track of you to make sure you stay gone.

So with that said, I highly support this endeavour. So I'll suggest trying to gently caress a Small World doll while kicking another in the face, thus covering all your bases

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Happitoo posted:

So with that said, I highly support this endeavour. So I'll suggest trying to gently caress a Small World doll while kicking another in the face, thus covering all your bases

Also be sure to go out kicking and screaming, throw a couple of punches at one of the deputies so they can hit you a few times with the taser.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

demonR6 posted:

No, but you should definitely jump out of the boat and work you way over to one and vandalize it.

Other than being arrested, thrown in the Orange County jail, trespassed from all the Disney properties and make the news..

I would gladly get you a pass to the Magic Kingdom provided you guarantee that you will try one of those two so I can record it and post it on YouTube it because people love watching the evolution of stupid online.

All you have to do is lure him away from prying eyes first. Yes I think fighting a guy in a Goofy costume would make a great video, you don't even have to hurt him or anything, getting beaten up by Goofy is my meal ticket to becoming a Youtube Celebrity. :D

Happitoo posted:

Someone needs to take these dumb robots down a peg or two. It should be me!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Matoi Ryuko posted:

All you have to do is lure him away from prying eyes first. Yes I think fighting a guy in a Goofy costume would make a great video, you don't even have to hurt him or anything, getting beaten up by Goofy is my meal ticket to becoming a Youtube Celebrity. :D

Actually getting into a fight with as many of the seven dwarves as you can at once would instantly catapult you into stardom. Now to pull this off I suggest dressing up like Neo in the Matrix so we can get the slow-mo effect down and put it to music as well.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

demonR6 posted:

Actually getting into a fight with as many of the seven dwarves as you can at once would instantly catapult you into stardom. Now to pull this off I suggest dressing up like Neo in the Matrix so we can get the slow-mo effect down and put it to music as well.

As much as fighting all seven of the seven dwarves sounds enticing, I have to get Goofy's rear end for what he whispered to me while my wife was taking pictures of Goofy and I with our two children. He must have been having a bad day or maybe been a bit drunk because when we posed for the picture he leaned in and said that "A black woman's vagina looks like a roast beef sandwich from Phillipe's that's been baking on the dashboard of his car all afternoon." Mind you, my wife is black.

Happitoo posted:

At a minimum you'd get banned from all Disney properties.

The guy who wrote Darkside of Disney actually has a story about one of his friends that got banned for life from Disney for trying to sneak into Epcot without paying when he was a teen. Something like 15 years later his fiancée wanted to go to Disney World for their honeymoon. While he was on the phone trying to make a reservation he got transferred to someone who was like "Is this Mr. [Name]? Do you live at [current address]? Did you live at [former address from 15 years ago]? Sorry, you're banned from disney. If you show up on property you'll be arrested".

They don't gently caress around with security, and if you get banned for doing something stupid they will keep track of you to make sure you stay gone.

If I kidnapped and ransomed one of these robots, do you think Disney would pay the ransom, or would the FBI agents kick down my door first?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Matoi Ryuko posted:

If I kidnapped and ransomed one of these robots, do you think Disney would pay the ransom, or would the FBI agents kick down my door first?

No need to kidnap one of them. Stop by any gift shop and you can purchase one to fulfill all your deviant needs

http://www.disneystore.com/its-a-sm...%27&typeAhead=1

http://www.disneystore.com/its-a-small-world-mexico-singing-doll-16/mp/1352813/1000259/

http://www.disneystore.com/its-a-small-world-china-singing-doll-16/mp/1352751/1000259/

Disney is big into the child slave trade. They sell kids from all over the world! And you can just walk into any store and pick out the ethnicity you want. It's truly sickening is what it is.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Matoi Ryuko posted:

He must have been having a bad day or maybe been a bit drunk because when we posed for the picture he leaned in and said that "A black woman's vagina looks like a roast beef sandwich from Phillipe's that's been baking on the dashboard of his car all afternoon." Mind you, my wife is black.

I'm normally not at a loss for words..

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
And that's what happens when you play with the troll.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

I'm normally not at a loss for words..
It's an FYAD game where they try to get this sentence into random threads, just ignore the idiot.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

It's an FYAD game where they try to get this sentence into random threads, just ignore the idiot.

Wonderful, thanks for the heads up. Show's how much I venture into the dark recesses of the forum.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tunga posted:

I'm sorry but this is the Disney World thread and Disney World is for everybody, including batshit insane FYADs :colbert: It's A Small Forum After All.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
FYAD is an infection, and must be dealt with...harshly.

On another note, me and the missus are still yapping about a post-Thanksgiving WDW trip, but we haven't yet pulled the trigger. I was laid off two days ago, but that was in large part because I started my own business last year (turns out employers hate that). So we're not going to miss any mortgage payments or anything. Still, it's weird for us to not have the whole thing planned out and paid for like six months in advance. Maybe we're getting more carefree in our old age.
:corsair:
Anybody know where we can expect to see the most construction walls in late November/early December? Will the MK hub be finished?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The most walls are definitely going to be at the Polynesian. I can't say about the other questions.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Lincoln posted:

FYAD is an infection, and must be dealt with...harshly.

On another note, me and the missus are still yapping about a post-Thanksgiving WDW trip, but we haven't yet pulled the trigger. I was laid off two days ago, but that was in large part because I started my own business last year (turns out employers hate that). So we're not going to miss any mortgage payments or anything. Still, it's weird for us to not have the whole thing planned out and paid for like six months in advance. Maybe we're getting more carefree in our old age.
:corsair:
Anybody know where we can expect to see the most construction walls in late November/early December? Will the MK hub be finished?

MK Hub probably will not be finished by the time you're there.

However, the most construction walls you'll run into will likely be at Downtown Disney and/or Animal Kingdom (Avatar expansion). Outside of the hub itself, the rest of Magic Kingdom is business as usual.

Otherwise, EPCOT and MGM don't really have a lot going on construction-wise.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Doronin posted:

Otherwise, EPCOT and MGM don't really have a lot going on construction-wise.

EPCOT has a really ugly bit of construction going on by one of the Innoventions buildings. They are redoing the piping underground or something. Looks atrocious.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Actually, a Future World pavilion all about upgrading the world's infrastructure could be kinda neat. I can't wait to visit ConstructoCore West.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I want me a weather pavilion with a motion simulator ride. It's not like we have an empty pavilion where they just have empty simulators sitting around. oh wait.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

A new room discount is available for WDW for late fall 2014. Dates are 10/4 - 11/25 and 11/29 - 12/23 and availability is low.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

EPCOT has a really ugly bit of construction going on by one of the Innoventions buildings. They are redoing the piping underground or something. Looks atrocious.

Oh I forgot about that. I think a pipe burst underground there and caused some major issue. It really is an eyesore.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

A new room discount is available for WDW for late fall 2014. Dates are 10/4 - 11/25 and 11/29 - 12/23 and availability is low.

Can these discounts be used in conjunction with Disney employee discounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

nbakyfan posted:

Can these discounts be used in conjunction with Disney employee discounts?

Usually they're one or the other.

Yeah as I remember the butterfly garden fiasco was a contractor struck a water main and turned the Innoventions area into a sinkhole nearly. They're working to get that fixed.