Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

JoshTheStampede posted:

I honestly was surprised by the LACK of Frozen stuff in MK after how much people complain about it. I guess it's all hidden away in the princess pavilion. It was half of one float in the parade and a ton of children in Elsa dresses but that was all really.

Other than Princess Fairytale Hall and some gift shop merchandise, Frozen isn't overdone in MK by any stretch.

Hollywood Studios and Epcot are where people were really getting aggravated with it. DHS was converted to Frozen-land for nearly the entire summer (parades, merchandise shops, ice skating rink, etc) and of course in Epcot the Norway pavilion is raping everyone's childhoods or something with the new Maelstrom makeover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Sir Mickey's gift shop attached to Princess Fairytale Hall had pretty much nothing but Frozen stuff, but past that, I agree that MK keeps Frozen to a minimum.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

Other than Princess Fairytale Hall and some gift shop merchandise, Frozen isn't overdone in MK by any stretch.

Hollywood Studios and Epcot are where people were really getting aggravated with it. DHS was converted to Frozen-land for nearly the entire summer (parades, merchandise shops, ice skating rink, etc) and of course in Epcot the Norway pavilion is raping everyone's childhoods or something with the new Maelstrom makeover.

The old soundstage for American Idol at DHS is getting refurb turning it into Frozen because the old location they were using caused drama for events they have booked using there. They tasked Imagineering with throwing something together in a short span of time. Eventually it will go SW but for now it's Frozen. Enjoy.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

The old soundstage for American Idol at DHS is getting refurb turning it into Frozen because the old location they were using caused drama for events they have booked using there. They tasked Imagineering with throwing something together in a short span of time. Eventually it will go SW but for now it's Frozen. Enjoy.

Oh. Boy.

Makes me happier that we're spending our usual annual pass money on a trip to Disneyland instead.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Eh, Frozen being pimped like this in the parks is nothing new. My first vacation to Disney World was right after Aladdin had come out and might as well called the place Aladdin World. Parades, shows, characters everwhere, branded everything.

Yeah. If you don't like Frozen it sucks, but I don't really care. Kids like Anna and Elsa (and I don't blame them for liking Anna, she's adorable) and they sell some dresses, put on a show at Studios, and remove a dated, poorly aged ride to make room for a newer one. Big deal.

(Yeah, I said it. Maelstrom needed to go. Frozen being the one to do the job is not something I feel too much either way about.)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Doronin posted:

Oh. Boy.

Makes me happier that we're spending our usual annual pass money on a trip to Disneyland instead.

I don't blame them for trying to cash in on this while they have the opportunity.. but fml they are trying too hard and beating it into park guests at every corner is not doing them good. At least the locals we know that have AP's are sick of it and some of them have kids.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Eh, Frozen being pimped like this in the parks is nothing new. My first vacation to Disney World was right after Aladdin had come out and might as well called the place Aladdin World. Parades, shows, characters everwhere, branded everything.

Yeah. If you don't like Frozen it sucks, but I don't really care. Kids like Anna and Elsa (and I don't blame them for liking Anna, she's adorable) and they sell some dresses, put on a show at Studios, and remove a dated, poorly aged ride to make room for a newer one. Big deal.

(Yeah, I said it. Maelstrom needed to go. Frozen being the one to do the job is not something I feel too much either way about.)

I think the problem is it's Epcot and when's the last time they updated something at epcot and it worked out well?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fair point. Imagination makes me sad.

Also, I got extended for my program, so I am here until May now. Hell yeah being at Disney for my birthday.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fair point. Imagination makes me sad.

Also, I got extended for my program, so I am here until May now. Hell yeah being at Disney for my birthday.

Nice, right before it turns into unbearable summer again and when it rains constantly.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think the problem is it's Epcot and when's the last time they updated something at epcot and it worked out well?

drat that's depressing. What was the last thing they did right at Epcot?

I'm hoping my memory is just hazy at the moment and I'm really forgetting something.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doronin posted:

They reopened Captain EO.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Doronin posted:

I'm hoping my memory is just hazy at the moment and I'm really forgetting something.

Well the opening of the Norway pavilion was pretty cool and it had a neat ride with it.

Oh...

Uhhhhhhh....

(I'm kidding of course. I'm one of those people actually looking forward to the Frozen ride)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

nimper posted:

I forgot about that. It was weird the first time I visited after that re-opened because it was like stepping into a time machine. I don't think that theater has been updated (carpet, seats - everything the same) since that movie was new.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Anybody have any recent MK hub construction photos? Curious to see how that's coming along.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Anybody have any recent MK hub construction photos? Curious to see how that's coming along.

Slowly. The original projected finish date for a lot of the Hub stuff was December, but hahaha, no that isn't happening.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I don't have any photos, but it's still blocked off in a lot of places. It didn't look nearly done. Lots of overturned dirt and machinery.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The bridge to Tomorrowland offers a pretty good view of the work on that side and it is ugly.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

nimper posted:

I said good things.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I said good things.

I'll just pretend I didn't read this post and cheerfully move on with my life :)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I guess the giant Sorcerer Hat is finally being removed. I am surprised it lasted this long, since the Spaceship Earth 2000 sign lasted for about five years too long.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rirse posted:

So I guess the giant Sorcerer Hat is finally being removed. I am surprised it lasted this long, since the Spaceship Earth 2000 sign lasted for about five years too long.

Glad I got a bajillion pics of it this week then. I like the sorcerer hat. What's going to replace it? It's like the icon for Hollywood Studios now, in all the Castle/SpaceshipEarth/BigAssTree pictures.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Good riddance. The Earful Tower restored to its rightful spot as the Icon.

Alas, the legend of captain jack sparrow is on its way out too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cais posted:

Which is both a relief and a shame. A shame because some of the tech in there is very cool. A relief because what isn't cool suck super hard and takes up valuable space.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cais posted:

This plus the fact you can finally see the Great Movie Ride from the entrance again.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo Epcot is paaaaacked.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm indifferent about the hat being torn down, but I did miss the Chinese Theater being the focal point, so I guess I'm more on the side of being optimistic that they're getting rid of it.

Although looking back, it was kind of telling that none of the DHS 25th anniversary merchandise had any likeness of the hat on it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
On top of Epcot being packed.. There seems to be an anime gathering here. There are gangs of kids wearing wigs and other crazy costumes. There's no Not So Scary tonight either so that's not it.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What is replacing the hat? I kind of liked it.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
A bunch of FastPasses for the Mine Train were apparently released for the first three weeks in November. Snagged FPs for my whole group of 13 people! Had to break the group in half but I was able to get 13 passes for the same time that way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Paul Allen posted:

A bunch of FastPasses for the Mine Train were apparently released for the first three weeks in November. Snagged FPs for my whole group of 13 people! Had to break the group in half but I was able to get 13 passes for the same time that way.

Apparently if you finish the Pirates scavenger hunt thingy in Adventureland you get a paper line-skip pass as a reward. They told us it wouldn't work on Mine Train but we tried anyway and it worked, so we got to skip an hour line for the only thing we couldn't get a legit fastpass for.

We also miraculously got reservations for Be Our Guest the day before so I assume I'll get hit by a bus tomorrow or something.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So just very recently they let us cast members link our main gate entrance passes to My Disney Experience, and with it they gave us the chance to have a custom Magic Band. It came in a rad box that is much nicer than the other MagicBand boxes. Sleek, black, with a classic Mickey and on the inside, they have the Walt Disney quote about needing people to run the parks. Of course, this is like, my fifth magic band, so its not like I needed it, but getting the box is kind of neat.

tl:dr I am excited about Disney sending me a box.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So just very recently they let us cast members link our main gate entrance passes to My Disney Experience, and with it they gave us the chance to have a custom Magic Band. It came in a rad box that is much nicer than the other MagicBand boxes. Sleek, black, with a classic Mickey and on the inside, they have the Walt Disney quote about needing people to run the parks. Of course, this is like, my fifth magic band, so its not like I needed it, but getting the box is kind of neat.

Assimilation complete.

I mean admittedly I would be excited about getting a box from Disney too but still.

Pachinko
Aug 23, 2013
My first time, I was 4 years old, my pops and brother took me on the boat swinging thing. Boy oh boy.

I remember crying so much, and telling my dad to tell the man with the controls to stop the machine, my dad just started laughing at me.

God, good times. It makes chuckle.

So, go on the boat swinging things with your kid when he is 4, and laugh at him for throwing a fit on the machine.

Makes for fond memories.

I want to go to the Disney World in France, it's huge.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

LAPU LAPU

2 parts Meyers Dark Rum
2 parts pineapple juice
3 parts orange juice
1 part sweet & sour mix
top with 1 part Bacardi 151

This is the first alcoholic drink I ever had at WDW. My wife and I swung by the Tambu Lounge to watch a football game. I think it was the second night of our first WDW trip back in 1999. Had a hard time finishing it because it's so much booze.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I have an alcoholic friend who goes to Disney and pounds those things.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

LAPU LAPU

2 parts Meyers Dark Rum
2 parts pineapple juice
3 parts orange juice
1 part sweet & sour mix
top with 1 part Bacardi 151

This is the first alcoholic drink I ever had at WDW. My wife and I swung by the Tambu Lounge to watch a football game. I think it was the second night of our first WDW trip back in 1999. Had a hard time finishing it because it's so much booze.

There is no such thing as too much booze.. then again I was a sailor.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Magic Band pic? Just curious.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sounds kind of like the box a really expensive vibrator comes in imo.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I had my first lapu lapu about two weeks ago when we went to ohana. It was fantastic.

My magic band is shipping but I'll probably use my Vader one. I've already booked toy story after work the last two days. This is probably why they didn't let us book fastpasses until now instead of in March 2013 like initially planned :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cais posted:

I had my first lapu lapu about two weeks ago when we went to ohana. It was fantastic.

My magic band is shipping but I'll probably use my Vader one. I've already booked toy story after work the last two days. This is probably why they didn't let us book fastpasses until now instead of in March 2013 like initially planned :D.

How was Ohana? It looked really good when we were waiting at Kona.