Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kazak_Hstan posted:

How was Ohana? It looked really good when we were waiting at Kona.

Ohana is really really good. Especially if you're an unabashed carnivore. It's a must-book every time my family visits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Man this isn't going great. They put us in a double queen instead of a single king. They had us drop off our luggage in storage while we switch rooms and I've got a Victoria and alberts reservation tonight, haven't showered since before the flight.

Chef mickeys was entertaining though! It was odd to make a reservation and then be handed a buzzer to wait for the table.

Hahaha and as I sit here in the lobby writing this post I got a call asking if I still wanted a room change.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Tigntink posted:

Chef mickeys was entertaining though! It was odd to make a reservation and then be handed a buzzer to wait for the table.

Most if not all of the reservations will be like that. Have fun at Victoria and Alberts.

charsiu
Mar 10, 2012

Kazak_Hstan posted:

How was Ohana? It looked really good when we were waiting at Kona.

Ohana made me feel disgustingly full. I skipped most of the appetizers except for the wings. The entree items (shrimp, beef, and pork) were all solid and I didn't even bother asking for seconds. That said, I didn't expect to wait 30-40 minutes to be seated at 8pm. It didn't happen at any other dinners, but I figured it would be a long wait since the waiting area and bar were filled.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Tigntink posted:

Man this isn't going great. They put us in a double queen instead of a single king. They had us drop off our luggage in storage while we switch rooms and I've got a Victoria and alberts reservation tonight, haven't showered since before the flight.

Hahaha and as I sit here in the lobby writing this post I got a call asking if I still wanted a room change.

Aw, I requested a king for you but sometimes they are hard to get because they're usually handicapped accessible rooms. I hope you get it worked out. Let me know if I can help!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We got it worked out. Single king on the 11th floor. It took a while. Road space mountain in my Seattle clothes and wandered around mk for a while. Waiting for v&a to start seating. A certain goon is making my dessert :D

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

charsiu posted:

Ohana made me feel disgustingly full. I skipped most of the appetizers except for the wings. The entree items (shrimp, beef, and pork) were all solid and I didn't even bother asking for seconds. That said, I didn't expect to wait 30-40 minutes to be seated at 8pm. It didn't happen at any other dinners, but I figured it would be a long wait since the waiting area and bar were filled.

Yeah we decided not to go there because we were a little buffet-heavy. I do want to try it at some point though, assuming we go back.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
V & A is great if your wife does not decide she wants to be really picky and eat barely anything they served throughout the meal. I ate all mine and most of hers too because if I am paying $400 for dinner I am eating every last thing and maybe the flowers too. ;)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh we both ate every bite. I almost cried at the end when I was too full to finish the 3rd dessert. The Queen Victoria room was amazing and we met the chef, got to go into the kitchen because of our pastry chef friend. Our friend made us an extra dessert as well.

The waiters were awesome and we had a great repore because the room was intimate and we could chat with them openly. The sommelier came by and we chatted about the wine choices. All in all it was worth every penny and we would do it again in like 10 years.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I feel super bad for cast members right now. Mine train, haunted mansion, and pirates was/are dead at the same time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Tigntink posted:

Oh we both ate every bite. I almost cried at the end when I was too full to finish the 3rd dessert. The Queen Victoria room was amazing and we met the chef, got to go into the kitchen because of our pastry chef friend. Our friend made us an extra dessert as well.

The waiters were awesome and we had a great repore because the room was intimate and we could chat with them openly. The sommelier came by and we chatted about the wine choices. All in all it was worth every penny and we would do it again in like 10 years.

Yep, pretty much sums up my experience there. The dining room feels intimate and that certainly helps set the mood kicking the 'special' level up a few ticks. I had not complaints at all about any part of our experience. It was our first wedding anniversary when we went and we got the whole treatment much like you probably did. If we have not murdered each other by then, we will probably celebrate our 10th there as well but we still have five years to go so.

Weather is absolutely beautiful today too... great park day!

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Anyone here familiar with the rooms at the Animal Kingdom Lodge?

We have to make selections for the Kidani Village Savannah View and need to choose based upon location (high view, low view, near elevator, near lobby) and if we want on the sunset savannah or pembe savannah.

I've heard some feedback from another forum that AKL is super spread out and it can take several minutes to walk to the lobby if you get stuck on the wings. Not sure if we want to be closer to the animals on the lower floor due to smell, but I don't want to be higher up if that means we can't see anything.

Not sure what to do. Getting excited though. 50 Days and counting until our Christmas Vacation! :D

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So instead of one day at Disney were doing Universal and SeaWorld over two days instead (I know, I know). Is there anything I shouldn't miss at either park? Like the Dole Whip (which I'm going to moss :( ) of Universal? Cheers goons

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

So instead of one day at Disney were doing Universal and SeaWorld over two days instead (I know, I know). Is there anything I shouldn't miss at either park? Like the Dole Whip (which I'm going to moss :( ) of Universal? Cheers goons
I can't comment on SeaWorld but I did Universal recently.

All the Harry Potter stuff is excellent. Forgotten Journey is an amazingly well designed and executed ride, probably my favourite thing from my entire Disney/Universal trip (except for seeing Atlantis at NASA, that was awesome). I felt that Gringotts was a little overhyped but it grew on me after a few rides, it's definitely worth a ride but the queues can be bad. Single rider is an option but you miss the pre-ride stuff which is fun. The Hogwarts Express is very thematic, an unexpected gem, and it's a little different in each direction so you can ride it twice if you have time.

You don't get Dole Whip but you do get Butterbeer which is gorgeous. Warning: this may result in arguments about whether it is better in "cold" or "frozen".

The Transformers ride is also good, technically very well executed.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks :)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

courtney_beth posted:

I've heard some feedback from another forum that AKL is super spread out and it can take several minutes to walk to the lobby if you get stuck on the wings. Not sure if we want to be closer to the animals on the lower floor due to smell, but I don't want to be higher up if that means we can't see anything.

We stayed at Kidani Village on the next to the top floor, we could see the animals quite well. We were about 4 rooms from the end of the wing, and yeah it's a hike, but we got used to it. We're 2 couch loving adults, and 1 9 year old. I think the walk to the lobby/ bus stop was bout 5 minutes at a reasonable stride.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's no argument, butterbeer is better cold than frozen. :colbert:

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

JoshTheStampede posted:

You mean it's better frozen right? Frozen butterbeer is the only drinkable kind.

Of courses, butterbeer ice cream improves on the original in every way.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Cais posted:

You mean it's better frozen right? Frozen butterbeer is the only drinkable kind.
The girl behind the counter confused the hell out of my friend by asking if she wanted it "frozen or cold?", I believe her exact reply was "umm...yes?". She later protested our laughter, "one is a subset of the other!". True.

I tried both and...I liked them both. Hard to say. Frozen is amazing on a hot day just because I love slushy things, but it loses a bit of the flavour and I like the way the drink came through the foam on the cold one and the flavours kind of mixed in your mouth.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 1, 2014

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Mykkel posted:

We stayed at Kidani Village on the next to the top floor, we could see the animals quite well. We were about 4 rooms from the end of the wing, and yeah it's a hike, but we got used to it. We're 2 couch loving adults, and 1 9 year old. I think the walk to the lobby/ bus stop was bout 5 minutes at a reasonable stride.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I wanted someone to respond that gave a realistic answer. :D

I am feeling more confident now about our room selection. Upper Floor & Sunrise Savannah.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
BBS might have been BBQ'ed. Mine Train caught fire last night : http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/02/us/disney-world-mine-train-scare/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

I got off my shift about an hour before it happened. I was at the Contemporary watching Wishes with family.

The fire, while scary looking, was not all that big, and the damage done was only cosmetic. The ride was open again by midnight. That said, they did have to evacuate that whole area of Fantasyland for a bit, which means I missed out on some fun guest interactions.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SeaWorld was awesome; I've never been on a roller coaster before and went on Manta and Kraken. Was insanely scary haha. Onto Universal!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I saw it from my hotel room but I wasn't positive what it was! Didn't go into magic Kingdom yet today.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

I was going to ask if anyone had seen the damage up close and how it affected the ride. Might have been a bit crazy to be on that when it caught fire. Glad everyone is safe!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Local news says it was superficial. Knowing Disney they will have it looking like nothing ever happened by morning. All the witnesses were taken backstage and murdered so they would not tell stories to the media.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

In non Mine Train news, I got to meet Hiro and Baymax from Big Hero 6 today. They had them as a special "surprise" for the Disney Parks Blog screening of the movie, and Baymax is the coolest in-park character I've ever seen. He's inflatable, like in the movie, and he can blink. I wanted to hug him.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

In non Mine Train news, I got to meet Hiro and Baymax from Big Hero 6 today. They had them as a special "surprise" for the Disney Parks Blog screening of the movie, and Baymax is the coolest in-park character I've ever seen. He's inflatable, like in the movie, and he can blink. I wanted to hug him.

I'm coming into town this week for an actual vacation and not work for a change. I really hope he's around when I get there, first character I think I've wanted to meet.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Road the mine train last night. Can't tell anything happened at all.

At Universal today. Cold butter beer is the best butter beer. I generally don't like sweet sodaee stuff but I loved it. Diagon ally is definitely a must see. It's just perfect in almost every way.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
At the Food & Wine Festival aka draining my bank account at $5-$10 a clip. Only made it half way through before we tapped out, going to try to finish up later in the week.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
At Universal today, the Transformers rise is closed and the HP Gringots ride just broke down.

Edit: the ride is back up. We went through the single rider line so we missed some of the pre-ride stuff, is it worth going through normally to see it?

Edit2: and the Disaster ride is down too. Not having good luck with this today.
No wait times though and beautiful weather so I'm not going to complain too much.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 5, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

tomapot posted:

At Universal today, the Transformers rise is closed and the HP Gringots ride just broke down.

Edit: the ride is back up. We went through the single rider line so we missed some of the pre-ride stuff, is it worth going through normally to see it?

Edit2: and the Disaster ride is down too. Not having good luck with this today.
No wait times though and beautiful weather so I'm not going to complain too much.

Gringotts isn't like Forbidden Journey where the queue and the ride are one package experience. The queue in Gringotts is very cool (well, the indoors part. The outdoor extended queue is just kind of bland) but it's no Hogwarts Castle, so having a single rider option is a good way to go to get on with less of a wait and you will only really miss a cool "elevator" scene that acts as the ride's Stretching Room ala haunted Mansion

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Rockin Roller Coaster was down most of day today, getting tired of my plans getting screwed up.

Edit: forgot to add that Tower or Terror was at 50% capacity for a while as well.

Did get to see the Frozen castle transformation thingy tonight at MK which was pretty cool. Blowin the better part of an hour waiting on line for the Mine Ride since I don't think I'm going to have another shot before I leave. Friday and Saturday are black out dates and I assume the crowds are just going to be worse.

Edit2: Mine Train was fun and the quality of the theming was excellent but it was too mild of a ride for me.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 7, 2014

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

tomapot posted:

Mine Train was fun and the quality of the theming was excellent but it was too mild of a ride for me.

I wouldn't think anything in Fantasyland would be too crazy. See: Barnstomer. That's about as wild as it's going to get.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
I took a trip to the World back in August, and I was just thinking. Is it just me, or is Journey of the little mermaid REALLY unexciting. The vast majority of the animatronics were way too simple, and the set pieces were very dull.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

fingerpaint posted:

I took a trip to the World back in August, and I was just thinking. Is it just me, or is Journey of the little mermaid REALLY unexciting. The vast majority of the animatronics were way too simple, and the set pieces were very dull.

I thought the way they did the animatronics to look cartoony, including Ariel's hair and face and stuff, was interesting but yeah as a ride overall it's pretty bad.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fingerpaint posted:

It's just you. Awkward dancing Ariel is actually the best thing.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tunga posted:

It's just you. Awkward dancing Ariel is actually the best thing.

This is the drat truth haha.

I met Hiro and Baymax today. It was about an hour wait. I expect thatll jump a bit once the movie is out.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

tomapot posted:

Gringotts is worth the wait for the full experience once you get inside IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cais posted:

This is the drat truth haha.

I met Hiro and Baymax today. It was about an hour wait. I expect thatll jump a bit once the movie is out.

I was in line before it opened, got to be part of the first set, which was cool. (I had also met them at a preview screening earlier in the week, but that was a rushed "take a photo, get out" kind of thing, this was much more engaging.) I imagine they are going to have to build a bigger queue for them.