Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Stick em in the princess pavilion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back from Florida, my little trip tidbits:

Forbidden Journey was like, the greatest thing i've ever been on / seen and I LOATHE Harry Potter. Gringotts was extremely dissapointing except for the fake drop at the very beginning.
Butterbeer was ok, Frozen version was better; but it seems like the cream on top tasted more like Toffee at the little stand in Hogsmeade then at the full on service place in Diagon
SeaWorld was really fun, but the Shamu show is really really bad and boring, compared to the Dolphin show.
I went on my first roller coasters! I did Mantis as my very first one, it was...horrifying hah, but I went on Kraken and then all the ones at Universal (except Rip Ride, which was broken). I love them now! Hulk was amazing, but everyone knows that. It feels more like a actual ride than a roller coaster. Whoever designed it deserves a medal!
Busch Gardens was a really really really cool park. The Iceploration show was great, and Cheetah Hunt was amazing. I didn't go on any other rides as I didn't have a ride buddy, but it was lots of fun.

Can't wait to go next year, will hopefully tackle WDW. Thanks again for all the help guys!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The Rip RIde Rocket is a great coaster but they have gotten super duper anal about not letting you have anything in your pockets when you get on. I get why they do that (the initial climb is a full 90 degrees and so stuff would fall out of your pockets) but they go way too far. When we were there for Halloween Horror Nights they had, no joke, 4 people stationed throughout the line asking if you had anything in your pockets. They made my friend get out of line and get a locker because he had a wallet in the back pocket of his skinny jeans that wouldn't have come out if you held him upside down and shook him. But I was wearing sunglasses and they didn't say anything.

It's way worse about that now than it was last year, at a certain point if your roller coaster can't handle someone with a wallet in their pocket maybe it's time to replace it with something else, as much as I love that ride.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The Rip RIde Rocket is a great coaster but they have gotten super duper anal about not letting you have anything in your pockets when you get on. I get why they do that (the initial climb is a full 90 degrees and so stuff would fall out of your pockets) but they go way too far. When we were there for Halloween Horror Nights they had, no joke, 4 people stationed throughout the line asking if you had anything in your pockets. They made my friend get out of line and get a locker because he had a wallet in the back pocket of his skinny jeans that wouldn't have come out if you held him upside down and shook him. But I was wearing sunglasses and they didn't say anything.

It's way worse about that now than it was last year, at a certain point if your roller coaster can't handle someone with a wallet in their pocket maybe it's time to replace it with something else, as much as I love that ride.

That ride has a lot of issues, especially getting stuck on the lift hill or at the top of the first hill. If your big name roller coaster has broken down on the main lift hill so bad you need to helicopter people out, might be time to rethink things.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Not that I would ever ride it because I don't like roller coasters, but that ride is now definitely on my "gently caress This poo poo" list.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not even a particularly good roller coaster. The non-inverting loop is an interesting gimmick and I'm a fan of the X-Car restraints but the rest of the layout is kind of lame and it's pretty bumpy too. It's straight up worse than both of the dragons and Hulk.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The best coaster at Universal is Revenge of the Mummy. I admit I haven't ridden the hulk, but I feel like Mummy is much more in theme with "movie themed rides" than Hulk is.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The best coaster at Universal is Revenge of the Mummy. I admit I haven't ridden the hulk, but I feel like Mummy is much more in theme with "movie themed rides" than Hulk is.
Yeah this is a great little indoor coaster and the theming is excellent.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Tunga posted:

Yeah this is a great little indoor coaster and the theming is excellent.

I almost find it a better use of the LIM Launch coaster tech than Rock N' Roller Coaster (although Coaster is still pretty cool)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Mummy is rough as gently caress and I don't like it because of it; the Hulk is great and oddly feels like you're swinging through the island as Hulk.

But they were super duper anal about having anything in your pockets for Forbiddan Journey and Hulk also, it was strangely odd. We got kicked out of the Hulk line because someone saw us using a cellphone.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Agreed. The Mummy is a terrible ride. The line queue is the only redeemable quality. The Hulk is my favorite attraction there by far. I've been wanting to ride it since I was 10 and finally got the chance too this year. Pro tip: ride in the center of the train. The vibrations are a bit less and result is a smoother ride.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Just in case anyone has a trip in the next few months, I thought I'd bring this up. Cinderella's Royal Table is closed for refurb from Jan - Mar so they're doing breakfast and brunch with Cinderella at Citricos at the Grand Floridian. You can start making reservations on Dec 4. It remains 2 dining credits.

You can see the menu here.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
My vacation last week was awesome just based on the lack of crowds and the great weather. Don't think I've had a perfect weather week in Orlando ever.

Saratoga Springs was nice but was a bit too stuffy for our taste. Not fanciful enough. We had dinner our last night at Artist Point, wow was the food amazing. I've eaten at the lounge before while on business but this was ridiculously good.

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
Artist Point is a lovely, low key restaurant that's easy to get into. A nice break from the crowds and bright colors since it's pretty much under the radar compared to the other signature restaurants. As far as the Cinderella brunch, glad they're offering it for guests and the food might be better at Citrico's but Akershus still looks easier to get into if your party must overpay for a princess character meal.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Akershus isn't going to be that easy to get into unless this Citricos thing really takes off.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Headed to MK now.. it should be a ghost town there. I hope.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Headed to MK now.. it should be a ghost town there. I hope.

Won't be as busy as some days last week, but it is a day after a Holiday party, which usually has an upswing in guests because of the people we told to leave at 7pm last night.

Also, I attended the party last night and met a whole crapload of character, which is the reason I went. Flynn Rider, Rapunzel, Prince Charming, Cinderella, Jack Skellington in his Sandy Claws suit, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and Mary Poppins, Bert, and their Penguin friend. The only character I missed out on was Scrooge McDuck, because he had a huge line that was consistently an hour wait.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Won't be as busy as some days last week, but it is a day after a Holiday party, which usually has an upswing in guests because of the people we told to leave at 7pm last night.

It's another 7pm night but it's still kinda slow. Walked on Buzz with a 10 minute queue. Also progress on hub looks good. Will post a panoramic later. Guess you are off today?

25 minutes for Mine Train, walked into BOG for lunch. Delicious.

Hahaha FML we are standing in line for a dole whip. Lady walks up and asks "is this the line for Peter Pan?"

Yes! Line starts around the corner. Holy crap.

xxxxxx

Trip report. Was anyone aware of the new Magic Bands? How about all the images taken of you at the various rides are uploaded to your Disney Photo pass site via the Magic Bands without you even having to do a single thing? We got home and my wife checked the site for a picture we took on the way out at one of the photographers and she discovered every ride we went on our pictures were there. Mine Train even has a freaking video with us in it taken during the ride! That is all fine and good but holy poo poo they are now able to pinpoint what car we are riding and use that to take random pics or video images like we had during the MT.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 15, 2014

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

demonR6 posted:

It's another 7pm night but it's still kinda slow. Walked on Buzz with a 10 minute queue. Also progress on hub looks good. Will post a panoramic later. Guess you are off today?

25 minutes for Mine Train, walked into BOG for lunch. Delicious.

Hahaha FML we are standing in line for a dole whip. Lady walks up and asks "is this the line for Peter Pan?"

Yes! Line starts around the corner. Holy crap.

xxxxxx

Trip report. Was anyone aware of the new Magic Bands? How about all the images taken of you at the various rides are uploaded to your Disney Photo pass site via the Magic Bands without you even having to do a single thing? We got home and my wife checked the site for a picture we took on the way out at one of the photographers and she discovered every ride we went on our pictures were there. Mine Train even has a freaking video with us in it taken during the ride! That is all fine and good but holy poo poo they are now able to pinpoint what car we are riding and use that to take random pics or video images like we had during the MT.

Haha yeah we started doing that last year, testing at least.

Those were some hard days of work. Paid to ride rides all day.

Essentially the camera system scans the MagicBands when the photo is taken and throws it on there for you.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
nice, it only works on Mine Train and Tower of Terror at the moment. I like the concept but at the same time I know that they know if I am taking a pee thanks to the Magic Band.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

nice, it only works on Mine Train and Tower of Terror at the moment. I like the concept but at the same time I know that they know if I am taking a pee thanks to the Magic Band.

Well, any ride with a photo op will now send it to your magicband automatically, but Mine Train and Tower are the only ones with video options. (The Tower video is really loving cool. Mine Train's is okay)

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Hitting up MK tomorrow. Excited to finally ride Mine Train! Snagged FPs for all 13 members of my family a couple weeks back. Any goons working tomorrow?

Also we're hitting the VMCP on Thursday night. Are most of the rides pretty easy to get onto?

EDIT: Another question: we couldn't seem to get a reasonable dinner reservation (aka not 3:15 in the afternoon) anywhere in MK for our whole group, even 180 days out. If we were going to just walk up somewhere at, say, 5:00, where should we try our luck?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 16, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

Hitting up MK tomorrow. Excited to finally ride Mine Train! Snagged FPs for all 13 members of my family a couple weeks back. Any goons working tomorrow?

Also we're hitting the VMCP on Thursday night. Are most of the rides pretty easy to get onto?

EDIT: Another question: we couldn't seem to get a reasonable dinner reservation (aka not 3:15 in the afternoon) anywhere in MK for our whole group, even 180 days out. If we were going to just walk up somewhere at, say, 5:00, where should we try our luck?

First off, I'll be working at the Pooh/Tea Cups area. Not sure where I'll be though. Secondly, MK dining is an odd beast because there are four total places to book an ADR at in the park, all of which fill up fast. Tony's Town Square sometimes has walk up space though (and if you like American style Italian food, it's good stuff)

If you want good food that isn't table service, that's hard, since it's mostly fast food fare elsewhere in the park. I love me some Pecos Bill, but it's basically a spruced up burger joint. (If you go to Cosmic Rays, avoid everything but the chicken stuff like the plague. Burgers and hot dogs are bad news there, but the chicken sandwich and the Rotisserie chicken have actually been decent eats when I had to eat there.

If you need thoughts on any eatery, give a shout. I have OPINIONS ON FOOD.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

First off, I'll be working at the Pooh/Tea Cups area. Not sure where I'll be though. Secondly, MK dining is an odd beast because there are four total places to book an ADR at in the park, all of which fill up fast. Tony's Town Square sometimes has walk up space though (and if you like American style Italian food, it's good stuff)

If you want good food that isn't table service, that's hard, since it's mostly fast food fare elsewhere in the park. I love me some Pecos Bill, but it's basically a spruced up burger joint. (If you go to Cosmic Rays, avoid everything but the chicken stuff like the plague. Burgers and hot dogs are bad news there, but the chicken sandwich and the Rotisserie chicken have actually been decent eats when I had to eat there.

If you need thoughts on any eatery, give a shout. I have OPINIONS ON FOOD.

We've got a FP on Pooh starting at 12:45. Who should I be looking for?

Thanks for the note on Tony's, we'll check that out!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
BBS is right on his advice. It's an odd hour and table service is scarce at MK leaving you with a few places like Pecos, Cosmic Rays and maybe Tortuga Tavern which is attached to Pecos but is across from Pirates of the Caribbean. That you have 13 in the party complicates it but you are hopefully not dead set on all being together.

Going to parks again today, it's another gorgeous day here.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

What have the crowds been like this week? We've got a trip planned for the week of 11/9 next year. Hoping for nicer weather and fewer people.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We have either walked on or not had to wait more than 30 minutes for any of the rides. It's not busy at all by our standards at least. On Friday we walked into BoG with a fifteen minute wait around 2P. Longest line today was Soarin at 30 minutes which is nothing short of amazing if you are familiar with the wait time for that. We parked at MK and took the monorail over to Epcot and the parking lot at MK was not even close to looking busy and the tram was open seating.

Back to MK later and I will trip report that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

We've got a FP on Pooh starting at 12:45. Who should I be looking for?

Thanks for the note on Tony's, we'll check that out!

Well I didn't see this until now but I am one of the larger (but shrinking, thankfully) cast members at pooh. At 12:45, I may have been the guy at the front letting in FastPass people or the person holding the standby and fastpass lines at the merge point. I can't quite remember where I was in rotation at that point.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Well I didn't see this until now but I am one of the larger (but shrinking, thankfully) cast members at pooh. At 12:45, I may have been the guy at the front letting in FastPass people or the person holding the standby and fastpass lines at the merge point. I can't quite remember where I was in rotation at that point.

Working Thursday?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

Working Thursday?

No, that's my day off, but I am going to be at the park for some non-work stuff.

In other news, tonight IAPPA rented out most of the Fantasyland attractions and all of our evening entertaiment for their convention goers. I did a whole lot of nothing for a very long time, sopping wet while I was doing it. THANKS RANDOM RAINY DAY.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hey, demon. Before i moved down you were happy to tell me about the days of sweltering murderous heat. You did not warn me about this bullshit. "Feels like 37"? gently caress you, Florida.

Yesterday at Disney was amazing to see all the tourists who rushed to buy the cheapest sweatshirt they could find if they hadn't brought jackets and gloves.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Hey, demon. Before i moved down you were happy to tell me about the days of sweltering murderous heat. You did not warn me about this bullshit. "Feels like 37"? gently caress you, Florida.

Yesterday at Disney was amazing to see all the tourists who rushed to buy the cheapest sweatshirt they could find if they hadn't brought jackets and gloves.

heh heh heh

This happens all the time in San Francisco. People think it will be warm and sunny because it is California. But San Francisco is pretty much always sweatshirt weather.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hahaha all the floridians were freezing when we were there for Halloween. Husband and I we're rocking our normal PNW clothing. Him shorts and me with wax pants or leggings. I saw so many tourists wearing brand new sweatshirts.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Take your pick.

Here..

or here..

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

If I could get a good IT job in the Orlando area, I'd take the extreme August heat, just to get away from Michigan winter, which apparently started last week.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mykkel posted:

If I could get a good IT job in the Orlando area, I'd take the extreme August heat, just to get away from Michigan winter, which apparently started last week.

doing what? there are plenty of places here it just depends on what your skillset is and what salary you are looking for.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm a fairly experienced storage engineer, and a very experienced backup and disaster recovery guy. I've applied to about 10 jobs at Disney, and never even heard 1 word back. I've looked at UCF a few times and didn't see much.

I'd probably need to make 80k in Orlando to feasibly convince my wife to quit her job in Michigan.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
We are 30 days and counting until our Christmas vacation. We apparently forgot to book the Mouse Bus from the airport to the hotel and had to call so they could get that scheduled for us today.

Magic Bands are in the mail. Reservations are checked in at AKL Kidani. Fast passes selected and I keep moving around meal reservations.

It's terrible you have to pick your meals 180 days in advance and then shift everything 120 days later when you get your fast pass selection times.

Thankfully we're within the 30-45 day range with people either canceling their vacations or moving reservations due to off-site fast pass selections. Some better times for restaurants are opening up. This trip feels like instead of six months that it's been six years of planning. First time staying on property; usually we stay in a time share off site but wanted to do something different. Holy poo poo. This is so exhausting.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

courtney_beth posted:

We are 30 days and counting until our Christmas vacation. We apparently forgot to book the Mouse Bus from the airport to the hotel and had to call so they could get that scheduled for us today.

Magic Bands are in the mail. Reservations are checked in at AKL Kidani. Fast passes selected and I keep moving around meal reservations.

It's terrible you have to pick your meals 180 days in advance and then shift everything 120 days later when you get your fast pass selection times.

Thankfully we're within the 30-45 day range with people either canceling their vacations or moving reservations due to off-site fast pass selections. Some better times for restaurants are opening up. This trip feels like instead of six months that it's been six years of planning. First time staying on property; usually we stay in a time share off site but wanted to do something different. Holy poo poo. This is so exhausting.

Yep, sounds about right. The first couple of years my nephew and his wife came down they stayed at the Wyndham timeshare that is on property. The one year they decided to try the full package you like chose and he said afterwards it was more work planning than the actual time spent enjoying it. He's coming back this year to the timeshare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just got off the Disney Wonder last week, my first sailing on that ship. It was incredible. It might not be fully "re-imagined" like the Magic, but of the three ships I've been on, it had the best service, which is really saying a lot. I liked it so much, I'm already booked to go again in 14 months.

That said, while on the ship, we did hear that it looks like Disney is finally going to begin quietly begin construction on the two new ships that have been rumored for a long time. Allegedly, they'd be in-between the size of the Magic/Wonder and Fantasy/Dream ships.

The Wonder is also supposed to finally go into an 8-week dry dock around Sept. 2016 to have about $80-100 million spent on it.