Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
My family recently spent a week at WDW two weeks before Christmas, and as far as holiday trips that is the perfect time to go. It seems like there are two weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas when the crowds just evaporate. Most kids are still in school, and generally speaking most of the crowds wait until the week of Christmas/New Years. By the time we left, people were really starting to roll in.

But two weeks before Christmas, all the parks are decorated for the holidays, Epcot does their Candlelight Processional, the other parks have their own holiday events/parades, and the crowds are relatively low. It's a great time to visit.

Anyway, what I actually came here to post was that there are a number of smartphone apps that you can use to see how long the lines are at the parks. I prefer "Disney World Wait Times" (or Disneyland Wait Times, if you're headed there). It's completely user-operated, so if you see a wait-time that's incorrect, you can personally submit an update. I used it on my family's last trip, and it proved pretty handy in knowing which areas of a park to steer clear of at a given time.

It also helps that Disney's been pretty good about offering free wifi throughout the parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Abugadu posted:

Thanks for the app recommendation, I'll be heading there later this month. Any restaurant recommendations for Downtown Disney?

Earl of Sandwich gets my vote for best quick service restaurant in all of WDW.

Now that I think about it, I'm not really familiar with most of the dining at Downtown Disney.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I always thought it was awesome. Like you said, even the theme fit.

Disney Springs looks like a nice concept art, but I bet it'll be boring and pointless 5 years from opening date. I agree that DQ needs an update. You'd think, with all the stuff Disney's doing with queues, they'd pour some money into it and let their creative folks have some fun with it. Seems like it'd be a prime place to put in games based on new and upcoming movies (I mean how hard would it be to make some sidescrollers or kinect-like games?). Disneyland had Fix it Felix Jr for Wreck It Ralph. Did they even have that at WDW?

Yeah, back in December DQ had ten or fifteen Fix-It Felix Jr. machines scattered throughout the building. That was the only place you could play it in all of WDW, though.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
As far as I know, the only thing they've ever updated in the Great Movie Ride is the montage of movie clips they show you at the end of the ride.

e: My favorite detail about the GMR is how the Fantasia segment was originally supposed to be the tornado from Wizard of Oz (as it precedes the Munchkinland segment), but before they fully integrated it some executive (probably Eisner) said "Wait a minute, there's no Disney stuff in this ride..."

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 10, 2013

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

DNova posted:

Why is Soarin' so popular? My theory is that it's a ride that the widest range of ages and wussyness levels will go on. Although, I have some family members who won't even go on that out of fear. Fear of sitting in a chair that moves around a bit and sprays you with orange scent.

My theory used to be that it was so popular at Epcot because, for a lot of people, California was this exotic land at the other end of the country.

But then when I went to DCA this year, I discovered people in California go nuts for it too.

I don't get it. v:v:v

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

demonR6 posted:

On the topic of pineapples.. Dole whips at MK or you are missing out.

Last time I was down there I stood in line for 45 minutes to get a dole whip, and oh man was it worth it.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I had never seen a Scrooge McDuck meet and greet at the parks before, so that alone made the Christmas Party worth it.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Paul Allen posted:

Okay you crazy sons-of-bitches, we've booked our trip! We'll be staying at the Port Orleans Riverside from April 27th to May 2nd. Any tips about the place? We flip flopped between Riverside and French Quarter but chose Riverside because the in-house food is apparently better.

The lounge at Riverside has a really fun pianist named Bob Jackson. He's been there probably since the place opened, and does shows there four nights a week. It's a blast. Well worth checking out if you decide you need a break from the parks for an evening.

I remember first seeing him perform when I was maybe 7 or 8. I met him after the show, got his autograph, all that fun stuff. I went back a few years ago to see if he was still around, and not only was he still there, he remembered me. :aaaaa:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

demonR6 posted:

Of course I remember you! You were the little kid who jumped on my piano, leapt on me latching on to my nose and biting me so hard I needed stitches and plastic surgery. Yeah, I remember the restraining order too.. it expired, excuse me while I take my break now??

Man, that takes me back...

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Come on, man, you can't say that and not give us a link.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Also they've had to scale back their printing operation to save on ink.

Enjoy your trip to Isney Orld!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
There have been plans on the table to get rid of Autopia at Disneyland, so that's actually kind of a possibility.

Echoing the love for Carousel of Progress. It's one of my favorites. Part of me will always love that ride for it's unwavering optimism. Sometimes I walk around humming the song to myself, because it's one of the few songs that never ceases to put me in a good mood.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
And Whispering Canyon is a quiet, cozy little family-style restaurant.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

kri kri posted:

Are there any decent podcasts out there for WDW?

There are far too many Disney podcasts out there, but my favorite is WEDWay Radio.

It's a show hosted by two brothers, and each week they discuss a different aspect of Disney history. Theme park attractions, company history, film retrospectives, etc. And then every Monday they do a show called WEDWay Now, which is sort of a weekly update on the goings-on at WDW/Disneyland and the studios.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but I like that show because it generally covers all the bases.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Universe of Energy could be redone and still use Ellen and Bill Nye. they are both still prominent in the public eye (Bill wasn't for a while, but he's makin' a comeback)

I really do enjoy the ride (especially for the use of the dinosaurs that in Disneyland are part of the railroad. It's nice to have a theme for them rather than just "here's a diorama we transplanted from the World's Fair") but it's dated as hell and needs some sprucing up.

It really was a massive stroke of luck for that ride that neither Ellen Degeneres nor Bill Nye ever really went away. Ellen's arguably more popular than ever, and while Bill doesn't have a TV show anymore he's still very much in the public eye. UOE hasn't needed to change because everyone still knows who Ellen, Bill Nye, Alex Trebek and stupid Judy Jamie Lee Curtis are. I don't think Universe of Energy really NEEDS much of an overhaul, anyway. An updated film might not be such a bad idea though.

Do a sequel where Bill Nye shows Ellen the magic of fracking.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Last night my dad floated the idea of camping at Fort Wilderness in the fall. I've stayed in the cabins a couple times (and wholeheartedly recommend it), but I don't know much about the campgrounds aside from seeing the actual layout. Our family has also never gone camping, so I don't know where the hell he got this idea.

Anyone ever camped out at Fort Wilderness? How is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Actually, a Future World pavilion all about upgrading the world's infrastructure could be kinda neat. I can't wait to visit ConstructoCore West.