Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

Hahaha, yep. That's definitely the place. I get a huge kick out of it. Having lunch by a fake river in the fake evening in fake Mexico with a random volcano painted on in the background has this pleasurably surrealist vibe that can't be had anywhere else.

With a stop at La Cava del Tequila first for adult beverages (hint:shots..), also if you have Twitter, follow them and when you go you get free chips and salsa or a shot on the house. They know me well enough now and always give me a shot and depending on the bartender I get something different off the shelf as a thank you for being a regular. After a few rounds we eventually end up at the restaurant, most of the time.. sort of.

Paul Allen posted:

Brilliant. Thanks again everyone.

Voting opportunity: if we were going to have our "anniversary dinner" (aka one, big, expensive, amazing dinner) at WDW, where should it be?

We love every kind of food from basically all countries and are very adventurous eaters, so I just want to know what you all think is THE BEST restaurant at WDW worth dropping a couple hundred bucks at. One restaurant, full stop.

It's not adventurous fare but we love Le Cellier in the Canada pavilion.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fejsze posted:

However I've neglected to eat at any of the sit-downs in the parks themselves and it appears I'm missing out on Le Cellier.

My wife and I have been there twice for anniversary dinners and enjoyed it immensely. We asked for a table off to the side since it was our anniversary and it was cozy. The service was really good, we both enjoyed the food and it has a nice ambiance to it. You are essentially having dinner in a themed wine cellar.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...372336967444098

HPanda posted:

One place I forgot to mention before is The Brown Derby. My wife and I have some great memories there. The cobb salad is incredible, and if you go for lunch, it's not all that expensive.

Brown Derby is great, the Cobb salad is really good and over the years it has not changed. As you know sometimes corners are cut to save money but this one is consistent. Also at Hollywood Studios we like the 50's Prime Time Cafe. It's gimmicky with the waitstaff playing roles of family members taking care of your when you come over to eat at home. The areas look like kitchen tables complete with TV's so you get that feel like you are in some throwback nightmare but its all fun when the server calls you out for not eating your vegetables and grabs a spoon of peas doing an airplane to feed you. The meatloaf, pot pie or pot roast are all really tasty.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We went on 7/5 just to watch the fireworks since it is a special around the park show. We arrived at the park around 6P and it was busy, but no as ridiculous as I expected. People were already camping out on Main Street for the Electric Light Parade that was soon to start. Since we are passholders and visit the parks sometimes multiple times monthly we are very targeted on where we go and what we do. We always ride pirates, mansion and Buzz Lightyear (we compete to see who does best and loser buys dinner/dessert) no matter what. They were 15 minute queue lines and we sailed through that day. Peter Pan was 40 minutes, Pooh was 10 and Space Mountain was 30 minutes. We always park at the guest lot across from Grand Floridian taking the monorail or boat to the park.

That being said our new favorite location to watch the fireworks is between the carousel behind the towers at the entrance to the new area just to the right of the 7 Dwarves coaster being built. The fireworks bunker is a few hundred yards directly north of the location and they are in your face.

Pics or it didn't happen.. sorry for the lovely quality but it was taken from my mobile phone and the bar is set low.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

How is the crowd back there during the fireworks show? I know Main St is a clusterfuck, and we haven't stayed for the show yet, but will be this year ( son says he's ready for fireworks at Disney).

Wide open. We sat along the brick planter that runs around that set of towers and watched with no one around us. There was a family of eight near us but never close enough to be a problem. It was not dead empty by any means but nothing near the mess that is Main Street. We walked from there straight on to Dumbo to kill some time while the lemmings all pushed the exit gates then cruised through Tomorrowland taking the back exit behind Main Street that dumps you at the train station and out we went. The ferry to Grand Floridian took about fifteen minutes, two boat loads, and we were out of there.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

You only get the fireworks and the music though right? Not the castle animation stuff? Which, btw, is fine with us. I'm glad there is a spot you can actually relax in the park and watch the fireworks. The only time I've been angry or agitated during a trip to WDW is when I'm on Main Street before the fireworks.

E: what is this back exit through Tomorrowland you are talking about??

From that location we cannot see the castle activity since we are behind it but you can see where the location is in relation to the bunker.

The side exit is next to Tomorrowland Terrace and runs the edge of the backstage parking. They have employees guiding you through the whole way and any magic will be lost if you are towing kids along. There was one family who had two kids with them and they were bitching the whole way about how this ruined their perception seeing the service area. Life sucks sometimes, deal with it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has The Great Movie Ride been revamped or reno'd at all in the last while? I remember going to WDW in 1999, and one of the rides I was looking forward to the most was the movie ride. The ride turned out to be a lemon though. It looked kind of dilapidated and musty, and the animatronics seemed to be on their last legs. The cast members that were part of the live-action segments seemed very unprofessional as well, with huge empty sections of cast members standing around silently, warily eyeing each other and the guests as if waiting for a cue that wasn't coming.

I don't remember it to be honest.. it was that bad and we have not ridden it since but next time we go to the parks I will make it a point to go to studios and ride it then get back with a trip report. You will owe me if it is as horrible as I remember it to be. ;)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't recognize those as MK strollers but if so that would be Frontierland and most likely in the Big Thunder Mountain RR area.

EDIT: and for the love of Jesus stop feeding your child turkey legs and churros you savage.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

Definitely MK, you can tell by the costumed CM in the back.

As a fun fact, those turkey legs are 1000 calories a piece.

No costume at DL similar to that?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

I can't be sure whether Disneyland has those costumes hanging around too since I haven't been there since I was six but I am 100% certain that that is a MK Big Thunder Mountain costume. DL's version is much brighter in hue and includes a bandana around the neck for females.

Yep, my in-law got back to me last night and confirmed. He also mentioned squeezing that kid into a single size stroller is considered child abuse. At the very least get the double-wide, it does not make the situation any better but marginally acceptable.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

You would have saved money by booking with me. I have a discount rate for December. You save about 30% on Deluxe level resorts with a 10% ticket discount. We have some Mod and Value options as well, but the greatest savings are on the Deluxe resorts.

I would always recommend people use a reputable travel agent. We can get discounts that the general public can't because we have the volume to book at group rates and then offer the savings to our clients.

PS never ever buy tickets from non-vetted Disney affiliates. They run news stories almost every other week now about stupid tourists who buy 'cheap' discounted tickets at the roadside shacks here all over the tourist corridor only to get to the gate and find out they are bogus or not accepted. There is no such thing as a smoking deal on Disney tickets. Don't pay some stupid shitlord on the side of the road for discounted tickets, your hard earned money will be gone. They are sharks who prey upon unknowing tourists and take their money. They hide behind stupid laws that allow them to continue to peddle worthless garbage. Those ticket scammers are like the loving mob.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 30, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DNova posted:

What is the actual setup of the scam?

Theme park tickets are not transferable once they have been used. Once you go through the gate, all subsequent entries must be specific to that person. You cannot give them to anyone else to use. The roadside scalpers are buying your tickets then reselling them to unsuspecting tourists and encouraging to use them under false pretenses and they get turned away at the gate. The ticket vendor will coach you on how to try and get through the gate but when it fails you are on your own and there is no going back to get your refund. As mentioned before your fingerprint is being scanned when you go through the gate and it is attached to your pass so trying to fake it will result in forfeiture of the pass. With the new system being rolled out using the RFID bracelets there are a number of issues but that is a whole other ball of problems I do not care to get into because I know some things. Either way, used tickets = bad.

Also enterprising individuals have been jacking entire shipments of brand spanking new tickets before they even make it out to distribution but those are inside jobs being dealt with on another level. Ticket resale is a big black market business generating a lot of money, it is not just a guy in a shack selling a few passes, it's bordering on mob level underworld stuff.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 2, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The new fastpass options for Disney guests that are booking and staying at their resorts thereby creating yet another level or priority fastpass. As if the fastpass wasn't a stupid clusterfuck that screws people who did not arrive first thing to claim them or have the time to run from attraction to attraction and collect them. The grand vision was to speedily move people through attractions and has become reviled because if you and your family have been in line for an hour and you watch people fly by you are naturally going to become even more upset sitting there. For the most part the desirable attractions now have absurd wait times. We were at the park for the 24-hour event and the fast pass was not being used and even though the park was packed the wait times were 30 minutes or less. FP screwed the pooch in my opinion and this new iteration is going to make people even more angry.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Loblaw posted:

Any possibility to spend a night at one of the Universal hotels? I don't know how crowded the parks will be since I have not been for Horror Nights, but staying onsite gets you front of the line passes for just about every ride (Pteradon Flyers and the new Harry Potter one are the exceptions). You use your room key to skip the lines and you can do so both the day you check in as well as the day you check out. You could then get the two-park pass and hit all of the roller coasters, well, ALL of the rides in one day, and the hotels at Universal are REALLY nice. Beyond that, they sell fast passes that let you skip the line for each ride one time, the price varies depending on the crowd.

I would think barring that you would end up needing a cab, can't tell you how much it is, as you mentioned the shuttles won't take you there.

It would probably be least expensive route to go through their concierge and book a shuttle to the parks versus taking a cab. If they balk at that then take a shuttle to the area outlet mall which is up the road then take a taxi from there. Taking a cab from Disney to Universal would be an expensive trip to say the least.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm going to have a day I could spend in Orland before going to (hopefully) watch a rocket launch and am considering spending it in Disney World, probably Epcot. If I go right from the airport, I could be there around 10-11 maybe, and stay until closing. Would this be sufficient to explore all the good stuff in that park? Anything else in Orlando that I, a single adult male, should consider spending :10bux:2 on instead?

Edit: "male" isn't really a relevant piece of information here, I'm not looking for strip clubs or anything like that.

Depending on the time of year and the hours, maybe. You can certainly hit all the rides at MK solo but forget taking time to enjoy the park. If it is during a crowded time of the year, forget it. Now, if you check the list of rides at MK and decide meh, I am not going to ride Peter Pan, Dumbo or Small World then shortening the list makes it more attainable to complete MK. Epcot is more feasible from a time perspective since it closes at 9 PM nightly year round with some exceptions. No thrill rides, more educational than anything else.

When are you heading down here if I may ask? I can check at the schedules etc. and help out with the planning. I live literally behind Magic Kindgom a couple of miles away. :)

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 2, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
PS Orlando is the timeshare capital of the world and if you are considering making that kind of investment be sure to explore all of the opportunities available to you. Do your homework, research and never, ever impulse buy ever no matter what they throw at you. Most cancellations and rescission's occur within the first few days and all end up being buyers remorse when they go back to their home and realize what they got into. I won't pollute the thread but the conversation can always be taken offline. I work at corporate level not sales but have been in the industry for way too long and saying this from my experience.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Douchebag posted:

DVC was better for us because RCI makes you buy the same week every year, I liked the flexibility of Disney better.

Out of curiosity can you elaborate on the RCI comment you mentioned because RCI is only an exchange company and does not sell timeshare. RCI functions on what is traded into the system and depending on the demand, some locations and weeks can be limited.

RCI and II are the two largest players in the exchange world and both function on the same principle. They sign an agreement with the company, Disney in this case, and they offer membership into their system so members can trade into other locations. You can become a member of RCI or II without owning timeshare but you do not have the same benefits as if you are trading or banking your week(s) with the exchange company. They are simply facilitating the exchange process between owners.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 3, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, as I mentioned earlier both RCI and II only serve as middlemen for owners to facilitate trading in their weeks. As a member you can rent through them or purchase vouchers for additional weeks in the event you want to vacation longer than what you currently own or are retired and take a number of vacations. I can buy vacation vouchers through RCI for a discounted price as an associate for example and am limited to the booking window and availability at whatever resort I choose. This sounds like what RCI does with their vouchers.

Endless Vacation Rentals is non-member arm of RCI that sells this excess inventory from owners and developers as vacation packages and combo deals park passes as an example. Hit me up on PM and I can tell you what kind of deals I can get through friends and family. ;)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Right now its d-e-a-d.. best time to go to the parks because the weather is starting to get cooler too.

I'll check tomorrow when I get to work and get the link to the site where I can get the certificates and share the information. My nephew who lives in Boston uses it often when he goes on vacations now because he hates staying at hotels. Same with the wife and I.. if I cannot stay at one of our resorts or an RCI affiliate we look elsewhere.

EDIT: as promised..

http://www.resortcerts.com/

Now, the disclaimer.. RVS is essentially RCI selling certificates good for one week at one of their affiliate resorts. It's a good way to rent out developer weeks that are in inventory at a deep discount, unused or unsold inventory as well as shoulder season at resorts that have availability. Heads in beds is the key here because an empty resort makes no one money. The certificates are redeemable for 7-night stays at a number of resorts that you can view online at the site. They have a 12 month expiration and have a book by date on them. There is a FAQ page that answers most everything. You are not obligated to take any tours or other nonsense with this. I use these for personal use, have given them as gifts to friends and my nephew travels with them a few times a year. I personally go through our internal booking and when we have no availability at our resorts or the cost through this is cheaper I use these as well. If you are interested PM me and we can get you a certificate(s). I would have to buy it using my employee code.. no, I will not post it for the world to see here. I am sure you can understand why. :)

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 4, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Weather is hit or miss.. mostly good as in mow my lawn in a t-shirt and not break a sweat. Crowds don't pick up until spring break unless you are here during a holiday.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
or ask one of us locals who have annual passes and go almost every weekend. ;)

Case in point, if you want Sea World information for example...

What's the park look like today?

Well, the park opens at 9 AM and as you can see the main parking lot is pretty empty right now and no steady flow of cars arriving.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 6, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

drat, Blackfish seems to be causing more of a problem than I thought for them.

Nah, it's off season. Two weeks ago the park was packed. The lot is about half way full right now. Aquatica is packed though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Food & Wine is our favorite.. we are there practically every weekend, sampling. ;)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

Never been to Food & Wine Festival. How does it affect crowd sizes at Epcot?

It is definitely more crowded but I cannot tell you that it makes it worse than a bad day at Magic Kingdom. In my experiences going to the parks, Epcot has always seemed fine even when it is crowded. The only time I feel claustrophobic at that park is when it is busy and you have fireworks going on.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mearn posted:

World Showcase can get pretty ridiculously busy in the afternoons/evenings. Especially on Fridays and Saturdays when locals are more likely to join in. But yeah, Future World is barely affected at all by the crowds.

That is when it gets fun in my opinion.. it just never feels as bad as MK when it is stuffed from curb to curb and they have to close down the park due to being at capacity.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The dining plans are good deals if you want the all-inclusive, I don't want to carry cash or worry about anything. We typically go from park to park and when we decide on eating it is not an elaborate meal since we always know a later meal outside of the park is coming plus loads cheaper. If you are not leaving property then you don't have the option but if you plan it right where you can hit McDonald's or any other place on the way in your better off not going with the plan.

At Epcot the fast quick dining option at the Mexico pavillion has proven to be the best bang for the buck. At the Italy pavillion the quick service pizza again is a good option. The same goes for France where they tore down the old bakery and have a new quick service area in the back where the entrance to the Impressions de France is located. The new location, Boulangerie Paitisserie les Halles, has a really good Croque Monsieur and a pizza'ish dish we enjoy plus soups, quiche and the desserts are still there. Biergarten was a fun experience, the buffet is great and I gorged.. it totaled around $80 for the two of us where I had a beer and my wife had a glass of wine. Did I mention I gorged?

At MK either Casey's Corner because I love the chili cheese dog and fries, Be Our Guest for lunch has excellent options that won't break the bank, Pecos Bills or Gaston's Tavern where the pork shank is a definite must.

Dining at Hollywood Studios you have a wide range of choices but I am partial to the 50's Prime Time because I started off there as a seating host and ended up working the bar next door while I worked for Disney. Studio Catering for quick service is good, Sci-Fi Diner if you want a fun sit down experience or Catalina Eddie's which is another quick service with a good hot Italian sandwich.

Animal Kingdom.. meh. Push comes to shove and we are starving we will eat at the Flame Tree BBQ for quick service. The ribs are not terrible, I prefer the chicken salad when we eat there. We avoid Yak & Yeti at all costs. Twice we ate there and the Asian food was worse than most take out Chinese joints out in town. Pizzafari is also a quick service alternative, the pizza is not bad and the Caesar salad is my option there.

The only other locations off parks we have dined at are at the Marketplace so I cannot recommend any specific resort dining other than Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yatchman's Steakhouse at Boardwalk, Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge, Narcoossee's and Victoria & Albert's at Grand Floridian and California Grille at Contemporary. Okay maybe we have a few suggestions at the resorts but those are not counter service options.

Oh, and if you want to throw down some cash I highly recommend Le Cellier at Epcot.. I love the place.

Feel free to ask me about dining as we go to the parks a few times a month and chances are we have been there, done that over and over. What I don't know, well I have family that still works for WDW and my brother in-law knows a lot due to what circles he roams due to his position. PM me as well if you would like an off-line discussion.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 10, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of pineapples.. Dole whips at MK or you are missing out.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dole whips are awesome, everyone should try one at least once. We have had the Poly version but it is not the same as what you get at the park.

Any locals going to studios this Friday the 13th for the 13 hour event where the villains take over the park?

EDIT: Unleash the Villains is the name of the event..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 11, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I avoid those boards because just like you say people will go sideways over the smallest of things and I simply cannot tolerate stupid window lickers who have nothing better to do than complain that Disney decided to change the color of the ropes in the queue line at Big Thunder Mountain from bright yellow to a more muted tone of brown.

@warheadr be prepared to experience some pain as you are treading into their new, unproven system during a test so things may not go as smoothly as you would like. Not saying that it will but I hear the issues with the Magicbands via my brother in law and they are funny, but not if you are a guest and your things are not working correctly.

Also anyone with upcoming trips, they seem to have enabled the guest WiFi across Epcot and Magic Kingdom now so free Internet if you are in range, it is not working everywhere. We will find out tomorrow if it is up and running at Hollywood Studios. MK also added a phone recharge station between Peter Pan and the entryway to Frontierland where the new rest area adjacent to Small World is located which is nice since you can plug your device in now and recharge for free.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 12, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That they will be using the Magicbands eventually to help them with crowdsourcing is a benefit I can see from this.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So someone with more info on magic bands: What happens if you lose one? Do you just run to City Hall or something and get it replaced with your personal info? A password? D'you have to go back to your resort?

If you lose your magicband you report it and get a new band. Purchases beyond a small amount require a pin so no shenanigans with your account. A new band can be given to replace the old one which is then deactivated i.e. room entry, purchases, tickets and anything else you can do with that band.

Here's a question for people who go more often than me...

Would you recommend the Very Merry Christmas Party? I am going to be there while it takes place, and it seems like a fun thing, plus a way to enjoy the Magic Kingdom till late...but is it worth it overall?

It's a fun event, we have gone a few times and the theming throughout the park with the carolers, hot chocolate and holiday characters roaming the park is a nice touch although it is lovely if we are in the middle of a warm spell. Hot chocolate and 80 degrees do not mix well.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 12, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The special limited edition shirt for the event at Hollywood Studios... drum roll.

http://db.tt/YHBcOU5a

Like it or meh? I am undecided.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'm just happy they've finally realized that marketing the villains to the teen/adult demographic can be successful. This whole weekend is villains themed.

Yeah, everyone is wearing villains gear right now and the shop was packed.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, the villains event last night was absolute pandemonium. I expect it will be a regular event now after this. Disney screwed the pooch and underestimated the turn out.

Trip report.

We went to the park earlier in the day wanting to check things out and pick up and special event items since they normally sell out almost immediately. The event did not start until 8p so they were not selling anything. The one shirt for the event was being sold at one shop and you had to come back at 5p, grad a wrist band and wait in a queue until six. Uh, no.

We hung around until 3p and went home to walk the dogs, get a quick refresh and come back at 6p. From that point on it was nothing you would ever imagine.

The map puts things into perspective..

The orange line traces where we hit traffic at 6p. We were at a dead stop on the ramp for 45 minutes. I called my brother to find out what the hell was going on because the line coming from the other offramp was backed up over a mile and that extended over the overpass where the other entrance to the park was. We were finally diverted through the second path around the hotels to hit the entrance to the boardwalk where we were then turned away after sitting three cars from the light that would have led us into the park. The park was at capacity. WTF.

The yellow line traces the path around the hotels and then I had an epiphany.. screw this and let's go to Epcot and catch the boat over so down Buenva Vista Dr. we go and around to Epcot. The entire way from where we turned on the BVD to the far extreme where we made the turn to head up to Epcot was wall to wall traffic at a dead stop.

The red line is where we parked at Epcot, apparently I was not the only person who thought of this brilliant idea. Also MK closed at 7 for the Not So Scary so all those guests dumped into Epcot too. The tram line was horrific so my wife and I said gently caress this lets walk. This is where the journey begins folks.. from that dot we walked the entire park to where it exits and when we get to the boat dock there are 500+ people waiting. WTF?! No?! Okay we walk to the next boat dock.. full, the boat is not even stopping there anymore. From there we walked from Yacht Club all the way to the studios.. on foot with a sea of people. Words cannot describe how crazy this was. We made it into the park after 9p. We walked to the stunt show to make it a.. we walked from the farthest point at the Epcot parking lot to the farthest point at the Studios.

The panorama pics tell a story, click them, its worth it.. they were taken at 10:45 before the fireworks.

Oh the line to get pics with villains, three hours. When we left at 12.30 it was still wrapped around the lake to get to the characters. The line to the bars were hundreds deep.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I've been saying for years that an adult/teen Halloween/Villain themed event at Hollywood Studios would do insanely well and be a) a good counter programing to the Not So Scary Party and b) give them something to kind of match Universal's Horror Nights.

So I am not at all surprised that it was packed.

Apparently Disneyland was equally packed, but a lot weirder.

No, this went beyond packed... I was there for Studio opening and numerous special events, this poo poo was nuts. My brother is going to find out the numbers on Monday and will tell me.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Forgot I had a spy pic of Maleficent.

Depending on the season it may not be a special ticketed event like Not So Scary because in the case of this weekend, you have that event going on already where one of the parks (MK) closes early. Taking a second park now and closing it too to guests would not be a smart business move I think. Since the whole point of this event was coinciding with the 14th you have a limited opportunity when you can hold it and timing is always crucial, especially when you are juggling so many balls in the air like Disney.

Can't wait to hear what the attendance numbers were for this..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am going to agree with everyone else and say Boardwalk is a better option. You have Epcot on one side and Hollywood Studios on the other, both within walking distance. You also have more dining and entertainment options as well.

Lincoln thanks for lightening that up. It really was as packed as you see there and every bit as chaotic but fun as hell. We went into the thick of the crowd by the stage during the band which was really good and then the DJ who was playing a lot of dance music I expect to hear at a trendy club. I listen to mostly electronic dance music and I was surprised when he pulled out a lot of what I listen to and played it. What was more surprising was the depth of the crowd that sang along or was jumping to the music. It was like a sardine can in places but I would do it again, minus the five mile walk to get there of course.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Of Doom posted:

Wow, that's quite the trek. I've been piecing together people's experiences from various places. My wife and I were there right in the thick of it. We were in town for another event, so we headed to Hollywood Studios at around 1:00 and just hung out for the day until it started. We didn't end up waiting in the 3 hour lines to get our picture taken, but we did chill with Frollo and Cruella in the dance pit in front of the stage. The line to get the special themed booze drinks was also crazy. I would have bought a Jafar Punch, but I ain't waiting 45 minutes for it. I don't think anyone expected it to be that popular; not Disney, not the guests. Someone else I knew who was staying on property said it took 2 hours to get from his hotel to the Magic Kingdom on the bus just due to the traffic going to Hollywood Studios.

I think Disney will probably rework the concept, use better planning, and bring it back at some point.

That's funny because we were in the same area with Cruella, Big Bad Wolf (who kept coming over and licking my wife).. the judge from Hunchback who had the senior citizen handler trying to keep up with him. We were there up front when his handler was doing his dance moves on his walker.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

Also, Biergarten in Germany at Epcot seats everyone in mixed groups at long tables. Every time we eat there we chat it up with other friendlies. And inevitably, at least a few people at the table are drinking beer, so...

That is the fun thing about Biergarten.. we have been there three times now and made friends at the table singing along to the beer song and carrying on with complete strangers. It's a blast.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have not been to S & D but I have been to Y & B / BC as my nephew stays there whenever he and his wife come in to town. He prefers BC of the two. The decor is his deciding factor, personally I do not see much of a difference and to be honest if you are not spending significant time in the room it should not be of concern. My suggestion is always amenities, amenities, amenities. Easy access to dining, nice pools etc. is my key driver. You know staying on property you will get the same caliber service and the resorts should be consistent in that they are not run down. The resorts that have one of the parks adjacent are usually the best bets any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Happitoo posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one of the YC/BC not have a quick service dining location? I'm pretty sure it's YC. Also I think I remember reading that it's a lot easier to fill up your refillable cup (if you buy it/are on the dining plan) at BC because of that. I could be completely wrong. I haven't stayed at the YC/BC since I was a kid (and won't any time soon, best I can usually afford is a moderate) but I seem to remember reading there were a couple minor things like that which made one better over the other.

Otherwise ya, it's just decor. Nautical vs. Beach Home.

Swan/Dolphin never really interested me because presonally the buildings look like poo poo to me. Although I've read that you can get some pretty decent deals so I may look at them for a future trip depending on my budget.

Yes, there are three or four quick service between the two. Also the ice cream joint there is amazing! EDIT: Peaches and Cream is the name.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 23, 2013