Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
I thought it had been mentioned already though that Disney doesn't sell at bulk rates to travel agencies, so that booking through one doesn't offer any discounts you wouldn't get for the same time of year right through disney? Or is that a different concept that only applies to full vacation packages or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Booked my vacation for October :neckbeard: so excited to start actually planning the specifics. I did it on Saturday and had no trouble getting through so I guess I got on the backend of the free dining rush. We decided not to do the free dining pkg though even though we're staying at an eligible resort because my girlfriends gets ticket discounts through work so for what we need it made more sense to do the hotel discount they're offering and then tickets through her and handle meals on our own.

We'll be there for the Food & wine festival which neither of us have ever done but have wanted to for awhile and I'm really looking forward to it. I don't know a whole lot about it, had to make sure we were booked before I started researching too much and got too excited.

Sorry I don't have any actual questions or things to add yet. Just wanted to throw my name in there as someone who is going soon and is really excited about it :)

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
I know this is a Disney thread but is a little talk about Universal cool too? Like I said the other day my girlfriend and I just booked our Disney trip for a week in October, so we'll be there for Halloween/Food & Wine Fest/etc. But we also want to do one day at Universal.

We're really just focused on Islands of Adventure so I'm thinking a one-day pass for us there, and we also want to do the Universal Halloween nights thing which I hear is pretty awesome, so another ticket price on top of our park ticket for that.

So I'm wondering if there are any good tips or rules to follow for Universal tickets? I'm guessing for one day it's pretty much just buy the ticket and pay the price the park charges online. Especially if I'm staying at Disney. Also what about transportation to Universal from a Disney resort? Obviously Disney itself isn't running any shuttles but are taxis the way to go? We won't be renting a car and I'd certainly like keep it that way if at all possible, especially for just one day of outside-Disney travel.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
So I'm going in October and logged into the MyDisney reservations area of the site today, and see a page for customizing my Magic Bands, which asks me to confirm my shipping address for 2 bands. Does this mean I'm being offered to test them out during my trip? I never got an email or call or anything saying I was someone who could do that, but it looks like they want to give me two.

If that's the case, should I wait until I buy the tickets first? I know there's an option to link tickets to my existing reservations and info, but don't know if the order I get things would play into how the bands work. We're getting our tickets through a corporate discount offer so we just haven't ordered yet and I don't want to mess anything up by going out of order.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
OK I'm super confused and I'm hoping someone who has gone through this may help shed some light on it, because message boards I've been reading are full of conflicting information. It's regarding MagicBand and FastPass+ testing, which I've been asked to do for my stay next month. I customized the Magicbands already and they're being shipped to me.

However I am not buying tickets straight through Disney. We bought last night through a work discount program. So we have a will-call printout used to get our actual tickets. According to the MyDisney site I can use that Will Call # to go ahead and link the park tickets to my existing reservation info. Will that put them on the Magicband? Or since it's a will-call ticket is it like an old paper ticket and I'm just stuck using the old method while everyone else gets to test cool one-touch bands?

Part 2: FastPass+. What are you guys' experiences testing this out so far? I'm getting two answers depending on where I look/who I ask. One says if I'm testing Magicbands, etc (which as above maybe I can't even do because of my tix situation?) I'm stuck using FP+ which is 3 rides, 1 park per day online 60 days out. So are those disappearing super fast and I'm gonna be stuck waiting in every line? Another says that no the traditional fast pass kiosks still work too, so it's not like you have to plan everything every day down to the hour a month before your trip to ensure you get any fast passes. I'm really worried I'm going to get stuck without any fast pass availability or options and spend my entire trip waiting in the regular line for everything, but that seems like it'd be a bad way to design the system.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Well I just went onto the MyDisney site and put my Will Call # in, and it linked up my tickets. Asked me to choose a person to assign each ticket to. Once I did that I can now go into the FastPass+ area and start choosing, which I couldn't before so that's nice to see. Looks pretty easy to select a park and rides for each day. I keep reading everywhere that the phone app is almost necessary inside the park, as you can choose new rides and times all day so long as that particular FP+ hasn't been "cashed in" yet so that answers my concerns about locking myself in to a very specific itinerary.

Now it's just the issue of availability. 3 per day seems so low, but maybe I'm totally remembering wrong on how the old FP systems used to work and it's really no different. I guess if I'm able to modify rides and times the day of while in the park on my phone it's OK to go ahead and choose some now just in case...

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
So is there a consensus opinion on whether it's worth it to use FP+ on Fantasmic? I've never done the show so I don't know how hard it is to get in normally and we definitely want to see it. But using an FP+ slot on it now not only locks us in to Hollywood Studios on the day we choose (I know we could change it later closer to our trip but you get the idea) and also leaves us with just two rides in a park that has at least 3 that could def use a FastPass. Don't want to spend one on a fireworks show if we can just walk up and get good seats that night anyway.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Just got back last night after a week in Disney. An absolutely perfect vacation for both of us, but exhausting. I'm more than happy to go into as much detail as wanted about any aspects. We did MagicBands and FP+ all week, stayed on site at the Pop Century and hit every park a couple times, plus Universal one day.

I had a few minor issues with Pop Century, but nothing too major. Mostly it's a case of you get what you pay for with the Disney resorts. Next time we'll save up more and go higher tier but for what we needed it was sufficient.

We honestly didn't have a single issue with FP+ all week. The crowds I thought were decent but not heavy. We waited 45 minutes for Space Mountain on Friday but otherwise never sat in line longer than 25 all week long, and we rode everything. We didn't know until we got down which parks we wanted to do on which days, so we made FP+ reservations a day or two before while there. Never had an issue getting our top three rides for each day, although we almost never wound up changing those times once we set them, we just made sure to plan accordingly while at the park. On Friday we did bump one up for later because we were still eating lunch.

Also on Fri Splash Mountain went down for about half the day. Since we had a FP+ for it that morning we got an email saying the FP reservation had been cancelled, and that we could instead choose any of a list of about 10 rides to use it on instead, at any point in the day, which was nice not having to hope for another slot on a ride to be open.

Also Food & Wine was amazing. Tried just about everything at least once. Definitely going to do that again next time.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Yea that's one good point I forgot to mention. The Fantasmic FP+ really appeared to mean jack poo poo for us as well. We arrived when it said to and the amphitheater was totally packed except the last section at the very far left, which is where we were all directed. I even asked a cast member just to be sure if there was a special fastpass section, and he said that entire half of the theater was which sort of seems to defeat the purpose to me. Would have much rather used that slot for Rock N Rollercoaster or another trip on Toy Story or something.

Of course the seats were still fine, you can see just about everything in the show from anywhere. Only complain with sitting in the far end sections was at one point the three boats carrying a couple characters each go by, but are spotlighted one by one only as they pass the middle portion, so getting a clear picture was tough.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
Toy Story Mania does indeed own, but if I ever waited in what the regular line gets to be during the afternoon I don't think any ride could measure up to be worth it. Not only is it almost a necessity to use a FastPass on Toy Story, but from what I experienced during the week last month that I was there, you need to book it decently ahead of time. Most days by midday the FP+'s were all gone already for all times, and the standby line was at 2 hours or more. And at that point I would say it is not quite worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

The Daltony posted:

I've been thinking of going to eat at a nice Disney Restaurant for my birthday next year since I'm turning 21. I live within 30-ish miles of Disney World so the only expensive part would be paying for the meal.

Any suggestions? The only restaurant that's too pricey is Victoria and Albert's since I'll be eating with both of my parents.

My girlfriend and I had her birthday dinner at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge when we went a few months back, based on a lot of recommendations (including many here). It was absolutely as good as advertised, maybe best meal I've had at Disney (note that I haven't eaten at V&A's or the high-end steakhouses). Incredible food, good atmosphere, and the Wilderness Lodge is so cool to just walk around or sit in the lobby for a bit before and after dinner.