Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Paul Allen posted:

Ah yes, Spring Break. We were thinking of early April just to avoid it as much as possible, but maybe we'll lean toward late March instead.

Also, are there any couple-specific things anyone would recommend? Obviously we'll be doing our fair share of drinking at Epcot and lots of eating everywhere, but is there anything else we should know about? We're booking a dinner at Be Our Guest because she B&tB was one of her favorite Disney movies growing up, and I really want to go to O'hana. Any couple-y secrets around WDW?

Go in the beginning of May. If I'm not mistaken magic kingdom has extra magic hours (hours only for on property guests) that stretch from 1-3am during that time. Epcot I think goes until midnight as well. With those kind of hours you'll be able to do a lot of stuff after most kids are back in their hotel rooms assuming you like staying up late.

In terms of couples stuff: If you've got the money, Victoria & Albert's at Grand Floridian is one of the top restaurants in all of the US apparently. Also GF has a new fancy spa if that's your/your wife's thing. I'm sure there's other couples stuff, but most of when I was there was eating/drinking related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Lincoln posted:

I don't know if this is World or Land, but that kid's too big for a stroller.

Beyond the obvious horrors of that picture, Disney World rents double strollers which are just like those but wider. Spend a couple extra bucks if you're going to do something that stupid and at least let the kid be a bit more comfortable. Or rent a wheel chair if there's some form of disability which is preventing them from walking.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Free dining has been extended for Fall.

Dates are Sept 29 - Oct 2, Oct 18 - Nov 2, Nov 11 - 23, Dec 12 - 22, 2013. Book by Sept 15. Excludes Art of Animation, All Star Movies, Port Orleans French Quarter.

Ya, just don't try to call to get it added to your reservation. Hurray being on hold for the past 1 1/2 hours!

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yeah, kind of pissed they aren't offering it at Art of Animation. That's kind of bullshit, and it'd save me some money.

See if it's worth upgrading to get it (if you can) if you're not saving any money. That's what I'm doing. Currently I'm staying at Port Orleans Riverside but when I checked online yesterday they had no free dining rooms available for the week I'm going. Animal Kingdom Lodge does though. Animal Kingdom Lodge + free dining is $50 cheaper than what I'd pay for POR and having to pay for dining.

Depending on the number of people you have going, free dining saves a ton of money, so if you're going to be spending the same amount of money anyway, you might as well get free dining and a nicer resort out of it.

Also, ended up on hold for 3 hours with no answer last night... Going to try again when they open at 7am. Then when I get this thing sorted write a strongly worded email to Disney. If their system was/is hosed up, they could at least say that instead of keeping people on hold for hours. I mean seriously, looking online there was literally 4 resorts that had available free dining rooms the week that I'm going POP, Fort Wilderness Cabins, AKL, and Grand Floridian. No Port Orlean, no Caribbean Beach, none of the other value resorts, none of the other deluxe resorts. To me, that rings of a massive system screw up if 4 resorts out of all the ones on property have rooms eligible the first day of the new promo.

Also didn't work for the room only 20-30% off so something was wrong there

Edit: Whooooo! Only 1/2 an hour on hold this morning and got it all resolved in under an hour! Still pissed about last night though.

Happitoo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 2, 2013

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Another of my colleagues spoke with a Disney cast member today that said that this free dining promo is so limited because they're about to kill the promo altogether. I don't know how true that is since they've been threatening that for awhile now.

It wouldn't shock me. A lot of people (myself included) now plan fall Disney trips with the assumption that they'll get free dining, and budget accordingly. Like my trip was $3,800 including the dining plan but I was like "with free dining it'll only be $3,000". Which didn't end up happening, but I upgraded instead.

I think if they canceled the promo there would be a riot of angry moms at this point. People have become so used to it and a lot view it as possibly the only way to afford to go to Disney World each year since its massive savings for a family of 4+. Since I can get away with just taking my daughter and I (although I usually bring someone else along anyway to help out) I can get away with room discounts (or nothing really). Other people may burn down main street USA if free dining goes away.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Fast pass + is a system they're testing giving you the ability to book fastpasses in advance. They haven't really explained how it'll work, but basically the RFID bracelets would also act as a fast pass. And you can book them 90 days in advance.

It's designed to keep guests that want to use it locked into a schedule so they won't leave and go to other places like Universal.

Overall it looks like a huge mess right now. The thing I like about it is the ability to book fast passes for parades and fireworks which get you into a reserved viewing area. So no more standing in line for 90 min. for Fantasmic. It's in testing, and likely wont launch until 2014 at the rate it's going

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

My boss went to an agent training program at Disney a month or so ago and the official Disney word on My Disney Experience is "We're running a bit behind" which I take to mean "This is a giant clusterfuck." I have noticed on the My Disney Experience part of the website that they had a place for getting FastPasses to quick service restaurants, which is pretty crazy, I think. Looks like it's been removed, though.

I realize things are running behind schedule, but I wish they would disable the MDE section of their website until they can get it properly functional. It's creating lots of chaos and my clients are freaking out because their reservations aren't showing up properly and then they think I'm not doing my job.

Could be worse...

MDE website isn't even opporational in Canada, except for apparently on my iPad... Which it crashes.

I used the iPhone app when it first became available to tie family members to my reservation and somehow it hosed up and applied the same family member to both the other adult and child booking. But god forbid you want to change/correct it. Nope. Won't let that happen. So now I've got to call Disney tech support and see if they can correct it.

Luckily it doesn't look like FP+ will be up and running by October, so I don't think it'll gently caress up my actual reservation (hopefully).

Question: As a travel agent, did you have a bunch of people running off to book their own free dining resort reservations due to the fiasco that was Thursday? Looking at Disboards it's what like half the people were doing while travel agents were trying to revise their existing bookings.

I'll be honest, I thought of doing it myself. But then I also did my initial booking myself. It just seemed silly for people to hire a travel agent to do it for them and then just be like "gently caress it, we're going rogue!"

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

How far in advance to they normally give notice for that. I am hoping that it extends to AoA for my December trip (Probably not)

AoA was one of the resorts added for the September tests, so unless that goes badly you'll get a magic band. Port Orleans Riverside is rolling out bands for all guests starting Sept 3 (its rumored).You'll probably see other resorts that were the first test resorts do the same thing into October (hopefully Animal Kingdom Lodge where I'm staying). So you're more likely than not going to be able to get a magic band/use fastpass+ come December.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

YAY! Magic Bands and Fastpass+ became available today to set up for my October trip!

First impressions of FP+ are:

Kind of unwieldy to set up your initial selections and get times set up. You have to pick the attractions. Then you're assigned times. Then you have to go into each fast pass, pick "change time", pick all the people you're changing the time for, and then actually change the time to something you want. I doubt a lot people will even realize they're able to change the selected times they're originally given/assigned.

When they announced the plans for FP+ they mentioned being able to get fastpasses for Fantasmic/fireworks/parades but I didn't see a single one. Some people claim they've gotten them for some days but personally I didn't see anything. I would love to give up a dumbo FP for a special viewing area for Main St Electrical Parade, or Star Tours for Fantasmic, but so far, nothing. Maybe they'll open later, or maybe they're doing away with it because they figured out it was a massive hassle.

I like the fastpasses for the smaller attractions, since my daughter is small. A fastpass for Space Mountain or Expedition Everest doesn't do me any good as she can't ride them. But one for Barn Stormer is great.

It took me the better part of an hour to set them all up for the week I'm going, but that may be because I was pretty picky about timing. otherwise it could have been done in 10 minutes. I still would like if it was faster though.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Cuatal posted:

Are there any quick-service meals that are unique enough or good enough to be worth using a credit on? That would significantly change the math since quick-service meals seem to be at most 20 dollars a person.

Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom is pretty awesome. If you're not a fan of ribs though, then probably not.

Just as a heads up though, that's a shitload of food. Doing 3 sit down meals a day with appetizers and dessert (for lunch/dinner) is really hard. I tried it before.

It'll gently caress up your equation, but look at using some of the meals to dine at signature dining locations. They cost 2 meals per person. It'll burn through your allotment faster, and may not be as cost effective, but honestly with the portion sizes I think you'll be hard pressed to do 3 table service a day unless you REALLY like to eat.

When I did the deluxe dining plan even with signature dining I still ended up skipping a couple reservations because I just couldn't eat any more food. Do you still get 3 snacks per day? What I did was used a couple snacks for breakfast (cereal, juice, yogurt etc.) then ate lunch, and a signature dinner most nights. Days that I tried to do table service Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner were murder on my stomach so I ended up skipping a reservation or two.

In terms of signature dining you could do the shows - Hoop-dee-do at Fort Wilderness, and the Luau at Poly. Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge is my favourite restaurant at Disney World. California Grill at the Contemporary just opened with a new menu and if you book a reservation for around 8/830 pm they have a balcony you can go out on and watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom when they start (probably around 9pm in Feb). They even pipe in the music from the show.

But ya, be forewarned that the shear quantity of food that is in the Deluxe Dining Plan is insane. So when you're calculating, you're thinking you're going to eat all that. It may not actually be the case.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Nathilus posted:

I agree that 3 table service meals a day is borderline undoable. It's not just about being a widdle piggie either, who wants to spend hours a day eating when you've paid hundreds of dollars to even be in the parks?!

TheBigBudgetSequel, Artist Point is very good and you will not be disappointed. It's not particularly whizz-bang in terms of Disney restaurants, but they do solid and high-class pacific northwest food and often seasonal game meats. I ate elk there for the first time and it was superb. I've had elk several times since but it has never compared to that dinner.

That was the other issue with 3 table service a day. The amount of time/travel. Even with planning it was still a ton of effort and time to get to food. For example my Animal Kingdom day was Breakfast at Tusker House, Lunch at Yak and Yeti (ugh, it was not good) and dinner at Jiko. So I had to get up, bus to AK to eat breakfast. Y&Y and Jiko weren't trouble because it's in the park and then like a 5 min bus ride. But then to get back to my resort from Animal Kingdom Lodge it's a bus ride to an open park, or downtown Disney and then another bus ride back to my resort.

With the majority of dining options being resort based you're timing when you have to leave, how long it takes to get back to a park/your resort. Your dining options in the parks is limited (minus Epcot where you can do breakfast, lunch and dinner just in World Showcase) and those options are popular and sometimes hard to get into. So you end up eating at resorts, which takes you out of the parks.

Not bashing on the deluxe dining plan. It was awesome when I did it because the entire point of the trip was to do a bunch of Disney stuff (like fancy restaurants, drinking around the world) that I wouldn't get to do for the next 10-15 years (it was when my daughter was <1 and I left her at home). I knew any Disney in the future would be primarily child oriented so I figured I'd blow it out one last time (or at least until my kid is a teen).

Even with that, it was a ton of work. If your goal is to eat at a lot of great restaurants, then great. If your goal is to spend a lot of time enjoying the parks, 3 table service can really hinder that. That's why signature dining is good. If you can eat later (8pm or so) you get a lot of park time, have a character breakfast or a lunch in the park and hit up a resort for dinner.

And Nathilus, that's exactly why I love Artist Point. It makes good food, period. You'll find something you'll want to eat, and it'll be delicious. Flying Fish is great for seafood, but I don't like seafood. Le Cellier does great steak, but some people don't like steak. Artist Point has a variety which tends to please the majority of people.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

I don't know if any of you regulars visit any online forums for Disney World visitors, but holy christ, most are like hundreds of people sitting in a corner going "Disney did a thing. I don't like it. Harumph" and then they get up and spend 2 grand on a vacation to the parks.

Holy crap Disboards is terrible for this. I like reading them when I'm planning a trip/before I go because I can glean some useful information sometimes but there's so much bitching about everything.

Right now it's a massive bitchfest over the testing of magicbands and fast pass+ between the haves (those testing) and the have nots (not testing). The ones not testing are enraged that they don't have access to something that isn't completely rolled out yet. To the point that some of them are making 1 day reservations at a magic band resort solely so they can the bands/FP+

The angry people that kill me though are the ones who make room requests and then get angry when they're not met. Because the ones that are furious aren't making requests like "near the lobby" or "near the pool" they're like "I want a room that's both close to the pool, and the elevators, and near the lobby, but far enough to be quiet, and a high floor, but not too high. Also I want only pink soap but yellow shampoo. Oh, and a goat... I also need a goat". Ok maybe not that ridiculous, but it's a massive string of things that sometimes contradict each other and then they get upset when they don't get exactly what they want.

Also all the people upset over Avatarland. Oh, you hate Avatarland (before even seeing it) then don't loving go there. Don't spend the next 2 years (and past 2 years) bitching about it online.

It's amazing what the super crazy Disney fans will feel slighted over

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Disboards is full of crazy people. They have some good advice threads, but past that, holy poo poo. Crazy.

I once had a client that was a Disboarder. She had the most complicated split stay setup. It was like 3 nights at the Poly, 2 nights at Coronado, 2 nights at POFQ. Then she had a problem with the dining plan in that she felt that her 13 year old didn't eat enough to warrant paying the adult price so she wanted me to make it so that I got her the child price for her. Which I can't do as ages 10+ are charged adult prices, full stop. Then there was some debate over if she bought tickets somewhere other than with me if they would show up in My Disney Experience. So after numerous changes to her reservation, explaining about the bugginess of MDE, and debating with her about child vs adult prices...she canceled. I was sorry to lose the commission, but the crazy was deep with that one.

Can someone explain split stays to me, because I just don't get it. Like I understand how they work, I'm not retarded. I just don't understand why people do them like what Braksgirl is talking about.

I can see a split stay if you're like the English/Europe people that come over for 3 weeks. Ya, 3 weeks at 1 resort may get boring, so you do a couple. I can also understand those that don't have the money but want to stay at a deluxe for one night so they can watch the fireworks from their room in the Contemporary, then they switch to All-Stars for the remainder. I get that. 3+ resorts in the span of a week seems like a lot of trouble, and a bunch of wasted time having to check in every other day. Especially when cost doesn't seem to factor into it.

Edit to answer the above: Yes, putting your will call number in should link those tickets to the magic band. I haven't done it, so if you're concerned, call Disney IT and double check, but you should be fine.

For FP+ testing: You may be able to pick FP+ 60 days out. It kind of depends on when Disney opens the testing window. For me it was like 57 days (I'm going at the end of October). For people at the start of October it was a much smaller window since they opened all of October at the same time.

During the testing phase you'll be able to double dip on fast passes. You'll be able to set up FP+ times as well as use your key to the world card to get regular FP.

During testing I highly doubt they'll run out of FP+ for attractions at the 60 day point. Maybe a particular time/hour but not the whole day.

While you can set up FP+ 60 days out, you can revise it the day of either by using the My Disney Experience app on smart phones or at kiosks in the park. So you don't have to plan your rides down to the hour. If you're not going to make a FP time, or want to go to a different park, you can whip out your phone and revise it right there.

Once FP+ is fully rolled out, it's anyone's guess how it'll work. But during testing the above seems to be the case

Happitoo fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 12, 2013

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Gildiss posted:

Will be back home in Brevard for a month from Dec 21-Jan 21. What are good days to hit Magic Kingdom, and Islands of Adventure?

My family would always use our annual Universal Pass on like Mother's day and just rapid fire all the cool rides like 5 times in a row with no wait. But, this time of year we never really went.

Weekdays should be better but is it really crowded on the holidays? What is a good week to hit the parks without the huge crowds?

E: Ah yes, and are there really any absolutely great parks other than the Magic Kingdom? I'd been to them all growing up and none really stuck out as anything worth a second day compared to going to Islands of Adventure instead. Will be bringing my girlfriend from Korea so we have to hit the Magic Kingdom but if there is one that would be an even better "Disney" experience I might consider it.

Christmas is absolutely brutal at Disney World. It's their most popular time. so basically avoid it between Christmas - New Years. Unless you really want to see Christmas decoration or the New Years fireworks.

What are you looking for in a park? If IoA is your go to, ya, you're not going to find a lot of that at Disney. Their thrill rides are pretty minimal.

Animal Kingdom is my favourite park. But I'm also a huge fan of animals and conservation efforts. If you wanted to you could probably blast through it in 1/2 a day.

Epcot is great if you want to eat food from different places around the world. Or drink around the world.

Hollywood Studios bores me to tears. It's basically Tower of Terror, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Star Tours and some muppets and I'm out.

For pure, classic Disney, Magic Kingdom is really it.

If you're looking to add an extra day though, and you're going in early/mid January: Get a park hopper ticket. Hit up AK in the morning and power through the rides you want to do there. Due to minimal line ups you'll likely be done by noon - 1pm

Next, jump over to HS and hit the headliners there. You can probably wrap that up by 6 or 7. Plan a late dinner at one of the Epcot pavilions and watch Illuminations. Hell, if you finish HS fast enough you might even be able to squeeze in Soarin' at Epcot (or if there's a date that Epcot is open late).

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't one of the YC/BC not have a quick service dining location? I'm pretty sure it's YC. Also I think I remember reading that it's a lot easier to fill up your refillable cup (if you buy it/are on the dining plan) at BC because of that. I could be completely wrong. I haven't stayed at the YC/BC since I was a kid (and won't any time soon, best I can usually afford is a moderate) but I seem to remember reading there were a couple minor things like that which made one better over the other.

Otherwise ya, it's just decor. Nautical vs. Beach Home.

Swan/Dolphin never really interested me because presonally the buildings look like poo poo to me. Although I've read that you can get some pretty decent deals so I may look at them for a future trip depending on my budget.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Roar posted:

Oh no I can't skip all of the lines immediately anymore, guess I just won't go!

This is the type of comment I've seen a lot (the woman's) and it makes no sense in the concept of the new system. There's other ones where it's like "my kid is autistic and can't wait in lines". Well then, good? The new system prevents you from having to stand in line. Youre free to go off and do other things until your return time. OHHHH... You mean you want to be able to skip the line. Ya, get hosed.

I have all the empathy for those with disabilities. It must suck having that crazy pain thing, or a non-verbal child who freaks out at random intervals. But it doesn't mean you get special privilege. The old GAC did sometimes work that way, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to it. It just means previously you got a perk that no longer exists.

I think the most interesting bit is the new wheelchair policy. Where solely being in a wheelchair doesn't grant you a pass. If the line/ride are wheelchair accessible, you stand (well sit) in line like everyone else. California Adventure is entirely accessible due to being built post ADA so it'll be interesting to see comment when the new system goes live.

I like the new system. It does what it's supposed to (provide access to those who are disabled on-par with the abled, just in a different fashion) while minimizing potential for abuse.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

My aunt uses the GAC for my cousin who has severe autism, and I am not sure this is going to go over well with people like her. Some kids with autism can't take being told to wait, and my cousin is one of them. I truly get what Disney is going to do, but this change is really strong and is going to cause headaches for both parents and Disney itself. I don't expect this to roll out out like it's being talked about, or if it does, I don't expect it to stay this way.

Combined with the other stuff Disney is putting out (FP+ and the MDE app) I think it'll go ok when put together. I think the key benefit is that to get your return time you don't have to go to the ride, just to a kiosk. I could see how taking an autistic child as you describe to a ride and not riding it right away could cause a meltdown. Hopefully the concept of "out of sight, out of mind" would work.

Combine that with being able to check wait times via a smart phone and those parents who have kids who can't wait can go to the rides/activities with low/no wait times while waiting on their return time. And if they know their child absolutely has to ride "Ride X" you'll have FP+ for that. During really high volume times it may still suck, but hopefully folks using all the tools available to them will help.

Ideally they'd eventually link the FP+/MDE system and the DAS system together in order to eliminate the need for even the kiosks. You'd just get your account flagged as needing DAS and then be able to get your wait time straight out of the MDE app. Then when it's your time, you just walk up similar to what you'd do with FP+ and go on the ride. This may be asking too much though.

It also eliminates the big glaring "these people are disabled" that carrying around a card with your picture/having to go to the kiosks causes. Some people that are disabled don't like being singled out.

lamb posted:

Do you know how they'll handle using strollers as wheelchairs? In Disney World, they gave us a sticker for our son's stroller, but in Disneyland the gave us a guest assistance card.

Nobody really knows, but odds are the same way. Disneyland might just take on the stickers like DW does.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Just did Online Check In for my stay in December. Feels good man.

Here's hoping that puts me in their sights for MagicBands and all those goodies.

You should be good for Magicbands/FP+. All the resorts get access to them starting sometime in October (between now and Oct 25). Just keep an eye on My Disney Experience and if the thing on the right hand side says "personalize Magicbands" instead of manage then you're good to go on the bands. Not sure if they've loaded Dec fast passes yet though.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Just got done with my first day of magic band testing and it was about 80% successful.

I haven't had a chance to use it to enter the park, or do fastpass+ yet (only went to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween tonight), but opening hotel doors, and charging to my room went excellently. The only problem was trying to use the magic band to use dining credits at Boma. Their machines weren't working and wouldn't register the bands for me or other people. Just gave them Key to the world card and everything was fine.

Tomorrow we see how park entry and FP+ go.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Magic Band update - day 2

The magic band usage went 100% smooth today! Park entry is really easy if you know what to do. You put the Mickey on the band on the Mickey on the pillar, touch your finger to the scanner, bam, you're in.

FP+ is equally easy. Touch to the pillar. If it turns green, you're good to go.

Only got to use 2 of the 3 FP+ I had today as my daughter had a meltdown waiting for the Barnstormer. Apparently that ride scares the crap out of her. Her favourite ride today, Tower of Terror. She walked off screaming how she didn't like it. Couple hours later, favourite ride. Same with Dinosaur. Rode the whole ride with her eyes covered. 20 min. later, wants to do it again.

And if you're keeping track, yes we visited 3 parks in 1 day. My daughter grew tired of animal kingdom early due to lack of rides. Her obsession with Tower of Terror because she is now big enough to ride it took us to HS solely for that. Then off to Magic Kingdom to use some FP+ in New Fantasyland.

Enchanted Tales with Belle is amazing. My daughter got to be The Beast which was super cute. I got to be a suit of armor. Waiting in line for it is bullshit though. FP+ or nothing. Screw consistent 60 minute waits.

Little Mermaid ride was cute too. One of the Ariel animatronics had a gimp eye though, so that was kind of creepy.

Didn't get to use my 3rd FP+ (Dumbo) due to previously mentioned meltdown. We'll see how riding standby tomorrow goes.

Tomorrow we check out the new fairy tale hall.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

My first issue with FP+ so far this week is the ability to change things. It isn't easy.

For example: My daughter was obsessed with riding Tower of Terror prior to coming down. So I set up a ToT FP for our Hollywood Studios day, which will be Friday.

Well she wouldn't shut the hell up about riding it so we took a detour Monday to ride it. Now she's not 100% on ever doing it again. But to change it to something else there needs to be a fast pass available for the time I have currently for ToT. If there isn't, nothing shows.

So if I'm thinking about changing to a Fantasmic FP for example, I have to change the time to when Fantasmic is, then go through the whole process again to change to Fantasmic, and that's assuming there is one available. If there isn't, now I need to change the time again and check out something else.

It would be much easier if by attempting to change the experience it showed you all available, and then once you selected one, showed available times.

The other issue is lack of overlapping fast passes. Ya... I'm pretty sure I can ride Dumbo, and Barnstormer together in the span of an hour. They're right next to each other and like 2-5 min. each. Let me set it up that way. I don't need Dumbo from 2-3 and Barnstormer from 3-4. If people gently caress up their overlapping passes, that's on them.

That goes hand in hand with changing times. Want to switch times on 2 things? Can't just do that. You need to move the first FP to a random 3rd time, move the second FP into the first's original space, then move the first from its random time into the second FP original time. An extra step that is unneeded if overlapping FP were allowed.

Overall a great system, and I'm super happy with it but changes are a pain in the butt.

Also Magic Bands are dangerous. $640 charged to the room thus far. Although 1/3 of that was stroller rental. So not a big deal.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Found out that when I go in a few weeks, the day I arrive, they shut down it's a small world for two weeks. That is going to seriously cut into my plans for comedy internet posts about the horror of creepy dolls.

On the bright side, at least you get the Jingle Cruise (Jungle Cruise Christmas overlay) with all new jokes to make up for it.

What the hell needs to be refurbed on It's a Small World that takes 2 weeks? Unless they have to dig the trench deeper again because people keep getting fatter and the boats are scraping the bottom again.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Douchebag posted:

E: I do like It's A Small World, if you like Disney you can't avoid liking it. But my son likes to ride it over and over and after the 5th time I want to kick babies.

I think my kid is broken. She loves the Carousel of Progress and I catch her singing "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" while she's playing with toys.

She also said something no kid has said ever. "Next time we go to Disney World can we go to the Hall of Presidents?"

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Rahonavis posted:

I'm an old cranky lady who misses the hell out of World of Motion... :(

This reminds me. Is anyone else starting to get annoyed at the level of Disney trading on nostalgia for poo poo they don't have anymore? Like obviously that's pretty much Disney's thing in general, like bring your kids and relive fun times you had as a kid. But a lot of their merchandising now is just for poo poo that doesn't exist anymore.

For recent examples they released t-shirts celebrating the 30th anniversary of Horizons, and a Christmas shirt with Dreamfinder on it. Not to mention tons of pins/vinylmation with with stuff like 20,000 leagues under the sea, the communicore robot etc.

Meanwhile things like the Wonders of Life pavilion and 2nd floor of Imagination sit empty. Like they're like "look at the cool poo poo we had" but at the same time leaving a bunch of stuff to rot. It's kind of sad.

I love Disney World it's just a shame that they seem to be trading so much on past glory while neglecting what currently exists. Hopefully with the addition of Avatar/whatever is being done with Star Wars it will allow for improvement on some of the existing areas too.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

That ride has been around forever, so I imagine it won't ever be destroyed. At the very least, it will be brought somewhere else (like it was brought from Disneyland to WDW when WDW opened)

It's basically Walt summed up in an attraction, so I doubt they'd just toss it.

It's got to be on its last legs where it currently is though. That ride takes up a massive chunk of space in Tomorrowland with minimal ridership. If ever there is a plan to expand/enhance the Magic Kingdom again you'd have to expect it'll get a good, hard look.

Luckily it looks like nothing will happen for at least the next 5 years or so, which is a good thing (I really like it too due to its history). I can't see it lasting another MK expansion though.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

spacebrospiff posted:

I'm scared or drops on roller coasters. I'm not sure if it's so much as I'm scared of the drop or if it's that I hate the feeling. Well, I'm going to Disney and I actually want to get over it. What are some rides I can use to work myself up to the bigger ones.

Barnstormer, 7 Dwarfs (if it's open when you go), Big Thunder Mountain Railway, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest, Rock'N Roller Coaster in that order from least extreme to most. You could probably throw Splash Mountain in between Thunder Mountain & Space Mountain. Not a coaster, but it has a big drop.

Also keep in mind that even something like Thunder Mountain while mid-range extreme for Disney is regularly ridden by 3 & 4 year olds. So it's not at all scary. Rock'N Roller Coaster is really the only "extreme" coaster Disney has.

Also, if you want to get over the feeling of dropping I highly suggest Tower of Terror. Again, not a coaster, but you'll sure drop :)

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Usually Disney opens costs for packages for the next year in July or August.

That being said, you can make room only reservations over the phone up to 400 days in advance (I think that's right, It's over a year at least). And then when the package prices are released in the summer you can call back to turn your room only reservation into a package

This is actually pretty important for January as with a room reservation you can make dining reservations for the entirety of your trip at 180 days out from the first day (you get 180 days + 10 days), where as if you don't have a room reservation you can only make dining reservations for 180 days from the actual date of the dining reservation, meaning you'd have to call back each day to make a reservation for 1 day of your trip.

For January the fact that you can make room only reservations is important because your 180+10 day window would put you sometime in June, prior to the package prices for next year being released.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

The Daltony posted:

I've been thinking of going to eat at a nice Disney Restaurant for my birthday next year since I'm turning 21. I live within 30-ish miles of Disney World so the only expensive part would be paying for the meal.

Any suggestions? The only restaurant that's too pricey is Victoria and Albert's since I'll be eating with both of my parents.

What do you like to eat? Artist Point is my go to for really nice food/atmosphere. It's not as adventurous/exciting as some of the other ones, but everything they make is awesome.

I am gonna be spending my summer and fall rocking the Tea Cups and Winnie the Pooh. I dig it.

One of my favourite memories from the last time my daughter and I were at DisneyWorld (last October) was her being nervous about riding Pooh. So I told her if she's worried about something to ask the cast member at the ride about what she's concerned about (since she wouldn't tell me). She walks up to the girl working the line and goes "Excuse me... Are there any Heffalumps or Woozels on this ride?" I'm pretty sure my bursting out laughing didn't help things, but the girl was very nice and said there were, but she keeps them all trapped inside the ride, which seemed to calm my daughter's nerves. So have fun serving as a distinguished Woozel wrangler.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Arm_Fruit posted:

Is there a resource (besides CraigsList) to meet with people who are going alone? I'm headed there a bit earlier than my family because of scheduling conflicts, and since they're paying for me I want to make the most out of it. I'm hoping there's a kind of "singles" resource online, or generally a good place to meet other in their 20's peoples.

DisBoards.com has a section dedicated to singles travel that may have a thread about meeting up with other singles (they used to). Of course DisBoards people are loving crazy, so you may end up getting shanked if you forget the name of a dwarf or something. Also non-stop bitching about FP+.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

Whats the official response ticket sellers are supposed to give if guests complain about how high prices are?

Suck it up Princess! You see, because they call everyone Princess...

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

When I was working on booking my trip at the end of May I started writing a script that would check every five minutes to see if reservations were available for BoG on a certain day and text me if it was. I ended up getting a reservation for the day I was looking for about halfway through though. I should finish it and make it available to goons trying to book hard to get reservations

holy poo poo, finish it and release it to the DisBoards! I want to see the carnage it causes!

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What are the penalties for beating the guy in the goofy costume? Do they call the police or do they just kick you out?

At a minimum you'd get banned from all Disney properties.

The guy who wrote Darkside of Disney actually has a story about one of his friends that got banned for life from Disney for trying to sneak into Epcot without paying when he was a teen. Something like 15 years later his fiancée wanted to go to Disney World for their honeymoon. While he was on the phone trying to make a reservation he got transferred to someone who was like "Is this Mr. [Name]? Do you live at [current address]? Did you live at [former address from 15 years ago]? Sorry, you're banned from disney. If you show up on property you'll be arrested".

They don't gently caress around with security, and if you get banned for doing something stupid they will keep track of you to make sure you stay gone.

So with that said, I highly support this endeavour. So I'll suggest trying to gently caress a Small World doll while kicking another in the face, thus covering all your bases

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Matoi Ryuko posted:

If I kidnapped and ransomed one of these robots, do you think Disney would pay the ransom, or would the FBI agents kick down my door first?

No need to kidnap one of them. Stop by any gift shop and you can purchase one to fulfill all your deviant needs

http://www.disneystore.com/its-a-sm...%27&typeAhead=1

http://www.disneystore.com/its-a-small-world-mexico-singing-doll-16/mp/1352813/1000259/

http://www.disneystore.com/its-a-small-world-china-singing-doll-16/mp/1352751/1000259/

Disney is big into the child slave trade. They sell kids from all over the world! And you can just walk into any store and pick out the ethnicity you want. It's truly sickening is what it is.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Aethersphere posted:

Realistically, what is Disney World like these days in October if you've got young kids with you? Is it worth it for all the themed stuff, or is it better to wait until November when all the Christmas stuff starts to come out? Is seasonal stuff as big at Disney World as it is at Disneyland?

I'm asking because I've only been to Disney stuff on press junkets, and they usually shuffle us in front of people (to my horror,) give us fast passes, etc., so you don't get an organic experience. I've never been to Disney World before, either, so I don't have a "non-seasonal" experience to compare it to. I absolutely adored Disneyland, though - one of the best vacations of my life.

I love Disney World in October! It's the main time I go.

There's lighter crowds, although people are starting to catch on to October being a great time to go, so the crowds are getting a bit larger. Still not terrible.

Free dining usually happens in (part of) October. Which also accounts for the increase in crowds.

Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is awesome if you're into that kind of thing. The Boo To You parade is my favourite parade in all of Disney. The ride of the Headless Horseman at the beginning is awesome.

In Epcot you've got the Food & Wine festival going on. So lots of yummy stuff to eat and drink.

Weather isn't super hot, but it's still nice.

Overall, I feel it's the best time of the year to be at Disney World. I'm actually planning an October trip for next year right now. I'm just debating going the first or last week of the month.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

So my DW DD DS DHH DGD FP+'d IASM but it conflicted with DW ADR at BOG. Luckily a DTF CM BBBJCIM.

I feel dirty that I actually was able to decipher this.

Disboards is brutal not only because of how super sweet they are but also because they're a bunch of drama queens. Every thing that Disney does is a personal slight to them. Oh God, Frozen in Norway! gently caress Disney right in the ear!! *goes and spends $10,000 on a Disney vacation*

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Doronin posted:

Interesting that WDW message boards were brought up earlier today, because I was wondering; besides Disboards, are there any other decent WVW boards?

Disboards just gets aggravating after a while. Especially when there is a topic in "Theme Parks & Strategies" with a woman asking what kind of stroller would be appropriate for a 7 and 8-year old. :stare:

WDW Magic Forums are pretty decent. It doesn't devolve into the complete batshit craziness that is DisBoards: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/

Although I don't delve very deep into those boards, so they could go full on crazy as well. I just don't see it. They tend to be a lot more jaded then DisBoard people.

I renew my love of DisBoards just because I love people frothing at the mouth about dole whips and Frozen going in the world showcase.

I actually won't begrudge someone asking about strollers for 7-8 year olds though. Disney World is huge. Especially Epcot (isn't it like 2km just to walk around world showcase?) some kids, even at 7 or 8 can't handle that. Granted, most of the time you end up with that picture of the fat kid in the stroller (This one) but some kids may need it.

My daughter is 6 and I was worried yesterday when we were at a theme park that she wouldn't be able to handle walking all day. She did it like a champ, and I think next year when she's 7 and we're at Disney World she'll be ok, but it can be tough on some kids.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Fejsze posted:

Speaking of disabled access, I'm contemplating a trip out, and would be going with a disabled person (no wheelchair, non-visible disability, was always fun seeing the judgmental looks from other guests), and life was great with the disabled pass. However the last time we went was before the whole hooplah about people gaming the system and hiring guides who would get one for you, and I heard that the rules have been changed. Anyone know what it's like now? "Skipping" the lines was huge on a trip where we could only go out for 2-3 hours at a stretch before having to take a few hour break in the room before heading out again.

Depends on the disability and the needs of the person now. If it's solely mobility/fatigue related, you'll be told to rent a wheelchair/scooter and wait in line with everyone else as lines are (mostly) accessible.

If they can't stand in line for some reason or another (various autistic reasons for example) you now get a card that you take to the ride and the person gives you a return time equal to the length of the current wait time. When you return at the designated return time it works like a fastpass basically and you skip over the line. You can have only one return time at a time.

There's no more skipping lines due to disability anymore.

Kids who are worn out by their parents vacation methods are a common sight at all of the parks. I rotated to FastPass Merge at Pooh, and we have this brick wall that's next to the gift shop and there was 7 or 8 year old just full on sleeping on it while one of his parents and other siblings were on Mine Train.

We currently live in an age of not just enjoying the vacation but enjoying every single last second to squeeze the pennies out of what they paid for. Disney vacations are expensive, so parents are now often looking for ways to extend their bucks. It kind of saddens me to see it too. When Magic Kingdom has Extra Magic Hours until 2am and your four year old is screaming they want to go to bed and you are telling them "Hell no, we are gonna ride Dumbo five times" perhaps you've lost sight of the reason. Your child is never going to scream "I want to go to sleep" ever again, and you are straight up ignoring. Come on, people.

This poo poo angers me. I assume these people are at Disney World at least partially for their kids, and yet they're treating their kids like poo poo to ride a ride.

One of my favourite things at Disney World is the Main Street Electrical Parade. Know how many times I've seen it since my daughter was born? 1. And that's because she took a nap in the afternoon. I also really like all the firework shows. Know how many I've seen? Zero, because it's past her bed time, and she really dislikes the loud noise of fireworks.

There's so much stuff I love at Disney World that I don't get to do because she can't handle it/isn't old enough/isn't tall enough, and I suck it the gently caress up and ride Carousel of Progress 4 times in a row because she loves singing the song. gently caress people, don't abuse your kids because you want to ride Dumbo!

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Roar posted:

CoP is unironically one of the best rides in Tomorrowland after the TTA.

Have you seen my limited edition Carousel of Progress 50th Anniversary T-shirt?! It's pretty awesome!

Also, why are there no CoP pins? Sure, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, It's A Small World all get pins, but no CoP :(

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

I'm going to buck the trend and say I'm excited about the Frozen ride.

It's not perfect. It's not ideal. But Epcot REALLY needs some help. World Showcase, while cool was/is boring as poo poo to a great many kids. Kim Possible/Agent P helped with that. The Frozen ride will as well. Epcot has buildings and restaurants that are empty and shut down (most of the time. I guess Wonders of Life is open sometimes for events). Living Seas (or whatever it's called) needs a massive refurb. Journey into Imagination has nobody riding it, and their activity room afterwards needs to be fixed up. World of Energy needs to be updated. There's a ton of work that needs to be done in that park. So it's a start. It might not be one everyone is happy about. But it's something.

Honestly, with almost all the countries not supporting their pavilions anymore, Disney should Disney up the whole loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

Doronin posted:

So the latest big rumor seems to be that Hollywood Studios is going to be re-branded?

Although if there is truth to that, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. DHS is only a full-day park on a first-time visit. It could use fresh ideas more than EPCOT right now.

I'm happy the backlot tour is dead. That thing was horrible when I rode it last year. It had lost so much of what initially made it interesting over the years, I'm glad they finally killed it. It also took up a huge area of land that'll be great for whatever expansion they decide to jam in there. Now they just need to kill Lights, Motor, Action and Streets of America.