Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Because kids get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jack's Flow posted:

I was afraid to say anything, because I thought I missed some sort of joke. But that looks like a third world country alright. Also, as someone who has never been to a baseball game: why would there be a pool inside the ballpark?

Because it rules to have quirky, weird things about your ballpark, and a pool past the CF wall is a lot less likely to disintegrate an ankle than Houston's 45-degree hill in the outfield.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

zakharov posted:

Because kids get bored.

The sandbox past the fence in PetCo seems ill advised though, I saw dingers landing there and the people who are over there don't pay any attention to whats going on at all.

It was the good feeling of seeing a dinger fly with ohshitohshit look ouuuuut at the end.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jack's Flow posted:

I was afraid to say anything, because I thought I missed some sort of joke. But that looks like a third world country alright. Also, as someone who has never been to a baseball game: why would there be a pool inside the ballpark?

To allow you to watch a baseball game from an outfield pool; to charge people a lot of money to watch a game from the outfield pool.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
To add to the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington talk, some of the worst seats for a night game are the third level in deep LF. The way those last few sections are oriented, you're looking straight at home plate, but you're also looking directly into the sun as it sets behind home plate. If you're going to risk venturing into sections 301-306 for a night game, a baseball cap is basically mandatory until the sun sets just to keep it out of your eyes.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

ALFbrot posted:

Because it rules to have quirky, weird things about your ballpark, and a pool past the CF wall is a lot less likely to disintegrate an ankle than Houston's 45-degree hill in the outfield.

The cool thing about MMP is actually the homerun train :colbert:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

William T. Hornaday posted:

I think that's just St. Louis in general. Passing out from heat exhaustion seems to be something that people enjoy doing with great frequency around here, whether it's at Busch or anywhere else.

To be fair, nobody enjoys it, its just hard to avoid.

Nothing like getting into your car in the summer, blasting the AC, and still sweating through your shirt though :v:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Have you ever experienced extreme back sweat? If not we can catch Cardinals game in August.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

leokitty posted:

The cool thing about MMP is actually the homerun train :colbert:

Trick question! There is nothing cool about MMP.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I still have never been anywhere that makes me wistful for a Minnesota August day.

100 degrees and 80 percent humidity, it's like living in a sauna.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I still have never been anywhere that makes me wistful for a Minnesota August day.

100 degrees and 80 percent humidity, it's like living in a sauna.

80 percent humidity sounds refreshing

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
goddamn living in Southern California owns

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
MLB Ballparks - The Midwest is the worst place on earth that isn't Queens

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ALFbrot posted:

Trick question! There is nothing cool about MMP.

It was cool when the centerfield hill allowed a guy who ran onto the field to escape security

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

It was cool when the centerfield hill allowed a guy who ran onto the field to escape security

Yeah that was pretty sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clhpgsZhWg0

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Xenophon posted:

no come on I totally miss the seashahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahahha

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Xenophon posted:

:cool::hf::cool:

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Akileese posted:

Thanks for the Arlington info guys. I'm moving to Euless next month to escape the Northeast and was looking for write ups. Is July/August completely off the table even at night or are only the day games insufferable?

I usually go to day games because I'm insane. The positive thing is during the week the crowds aren't as bad obviously. I usually try to make sure it's a Darvish start so it's worth it. Sort of.

Also, since we have plenty of write-ups, but no pictures yet:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Xenophon posted:

goddamn living in Northern California owns

Fixed that for ya :colbert:

predicto fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 1, 2013

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Also, if you can, do your best to go to a game when Felix is pitching. Every home game he pitches they have the King's Court to the left of the LF foul pole where tickets are discounted and you get a King Felix shirt for free along with a K card. Even if you don't sit in that section, the energy that section brings to the game is awesome. Plus you get to see Felix pitch, which is glorious in itself.

If any other Seattleites want to add anything, feel free to chip in.

Anytime you have the chance to sit in King's Court, it is 100% worth it. I had my first King's Court experience this year and it is entirely different from the rest of the stadium. It almost makes the game feel like a playoff game. The energy is just off the charts, even if they are playing a crappy team.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

bradzilla posted:

Also the AL West is still sorely lacking in write-ups. Surely we have some AL West goons to do the needful?

I'll do one for the Coliseum some time this week but to sum what I'll be saying: it's pretty much a dump but their beer selection is top notch and their grounds crew is pretty solid (so the field usually looks great).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Scruffy the janitor posted:

Also, since we have plenty of write-ups, but no pictures yet:

I always thought those luxury boxes in center field were dumb as hell, how can you see anything from there? Although I guess no one in luxury boxes watches the game anyway.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

ElwoodCuse posted:

I always thought those luxury boxes in center field were dumb as hell, how can you see anything from there? Although I guess no one in luxury boxes watches the game anyway.

Those aren't luxury boxes, it's an office building. The majority of the Rangers org and some other businesses are out of there. I know that a radio station used to have their studio out there.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Can someone do The Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati? I'm thinking of catching a game there in two weeks.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

I sat in one of the luxury boxes on the far side of the Alameda Coliseum once. They would probably be decent seats in a Raiders game but they were hilariously bad for baseball. We were probably at least 450 feet from home plate.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I just heard on MLB.TV that the Braves have a game-used memoribilia store at Turner Field. That's really cool. Any other teams do this?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

MondayHotDog posted:

I just heard on MLB.TV that the Braves have a game-used memoribilia store at Turner Field. That's really cool. Any other teams do this?
According to davecrazy's writeup, the Mets do this at Citi Field. Why anyone wants game-used Mets gear is beyond me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MondayHotDog posted:

The Pirates have one too. I would imagine the majority of teams do.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

The Pirates have one too. I would imagine the majority of teams do.

Yeah, MLB has people with those hologram stickers at I think almost every game now. It's quite a mix of the interesting and mundane.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Giants have one of those ("From the Clubhouse") behind home plate on the promenade level.

Speaking of AT&T again, I just noticed that the their stadium map has a "specialty" (ballpark quirk/attraction) titled "Crazy Crab The 'Anti-Mascot'" on Section 215. Since I've never bought Club Level seats, I don't know if this is just a tribute on the wall, or the actual guy in the suit, or what; but Crazy Crab was a troll that Giants marketing thought up in the 80s.

Somebody had an idea to satire the mascot trend by making the most obnoxious character anyone had seen and playing it straight-faced as a new mascot even though it would be hated by the grittier, blue-collar crowds of the Candlestick age. It's kind of a flawed concept because inebriated morons buy into the idea too far and plunked it with drinks and crap. They eventually cancelled the crab (they stopped short of an idea to kill it via dropping a dummy out of a helicopter to splat onto the field), changed owners, and joined the mascot bandwagon seriously.

The guy who plays Lou Seal has the record for the most consecutive number of appearances without taking a break, so he works hard at it, but I would have to say that the Crab is the hipster choice of mascots. Sometime I'll have to buy a club level seat way down by the bases and go see what that's all about.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 3, 2013

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

As mentioned, they're not luxury boxes, they're offices. However, I have actually watched a game from one of those offices. My mom's company owned one of those boxes and invited employees and family out to go see them play the Yankees in Game 3 of the first round of the 1998 playoffs.

They're really not great. The view is worse than you'd get sitting in the center field bleachers and you have no access to ballpark concessions because you're not actually in the ballpark, just the office complex. Then to top it all off, the Yankees broke the game open in the sixth by scoring 4 runs, just before some crazy thunderstorms roll in that caused a 3.5 hour delay (which we did not stay through).

I also have another story of bad luxury box seating, as a company I worked for decided that they were going to buy tickets for a Rangers game, and someone talked the boss into upgrading to a suite. Apparently, they got a good deal on it, and once in the box, I could see why. It was the last suite on that level, all the way out in LF, and the angle at which it's positioned means that your view of home plate is obstructed by the foul pole. But, hey, at least beers were free.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Cardinals have a game-used store, too.

Craptacular! posted:

Somebody had an idea to satire the mascot trend by making the most obnoxious character anyone had seen and playing it straight-faced as a new mascot even though it would be hated by the grittier, blue-collar crowds of the Candlestick age. It's kind of a flawed concept because inebriated morons buy into the idea too far and plunked it with drinks and crap.

Don't forget the 80's White Sox mascots Ribbie and Roobarb, who were so aggressively hated that it apparently became a thing for kids to kick them after they were done with photos.

Not that Southpaw is much better. What is he supposed to be, anyway?

EDIT: okay I'm looking at the list of MLB mascots, and is the Rays mascot seriously DJ kitty? Where on earth did that come from?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 3, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boxman posted:

EDIT: okay I'm looking at the list of MLB mascots, and is the Rays mascot seriously DJ kitty? Where on earth did that come from?

Rally Monkey spawned a child with Mariners Cheezburger Night.

EDIT: While on the subject of mascots, I want to mention that Stomper the A's mascot has to be the best dancer in a character costume anywhere. Stadium, theme park, you name it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2013

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Someone with the Reds needs to settle down and pick one mascot. They have three different mascots right now, and that just ain't right.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Meltathon posted:

Someone with the Reds needs to settle down and pick one mascot. They have three different mascots right now, and that just ain't right.

No they need both Mr. and Mrs. Redlegs. That other thing can go though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That goddamn monkey is still shown on the screen at Angels games (accompanied by music from motherfucking Disturbed) and it is the most embarassing and hilarious thing. People go nuts too.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
if you're hating on Mr. Redlegs then you're dead to me

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Meltathon posted:

I'd vote for a guy in a big fat Stalin mascot costume, and he'd ride around the park on an ATV fitted to look like a little Soviet tank.

Too soon?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Stalin is good at getting rid of other mascots. Also, two mascots is ok if they're married, I don't want these mascots living in sin, or some weird Odd Couple thing going on.

Edit:
You can tell that Mr. and Mrs. Redlegs are embarrassed of monster thing here.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

Can someone do The Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati? I'm thinking of catching a game there in two weeks.

I'll do it when I get home later. I've been going to games there for almost 10 years and worked there for one season so I've been pretty much everywhere in the ballpark.

• Locked thread