Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
I'm coming from Chandler, we want good pizza or the best Vienna hotdogs around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Guru Yaekob posted:

I'm coming from Chandler, we want good pizza or the best Vienna hotdogs around.

I'd try Pizzeria Bianco. Spinato's is also good, and might be on your way.

For a hot dog, I've eaten at Luke's when they were in Scottsdale, although 16th st. and Indian School is probably too far out of your way. If you eat inside then here's the big list. The hot dog places under 'Levy Restaurants' serve some mix of hot dogs with special stuff on them / foot long hot dog, except for 'Double Headers' which just has regular hot dogs.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Cleveland's ballpark now has metal detectors that they aren't used to using so enjoy the delay and remember to bring a plastic flask instead.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Cleveland's ballpark now has metal detectors that they aren't used to using so enjoy the delay and remember to bring a plastic flask instead.

loving hell.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Are we talking walkthrough airport-style detectors or wand detectors?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Mostly walkthrough but I think I saw wands as well presumably for if they can't figure out why you keep setting the thing off or whatever.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
At the Cell all the gates I've gone in only have wands. So there are like 8 ticket lines per gate where people are lined up to get their tickets scanned to get in, but then everything bottlenecks as they only have two security guys to wand everyone from all 8 lines. Long delays and they need a much better system.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They added these at Target Field this year, it doesn't really add any significant time getting into the ballpark. Maybe a couple minutes, but they get you through in roughly the same amount of time as the ticket scanners do so it's just another step.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
All parks are going to have metal detectors, MLB decree.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I got wanded going into the Trop last night.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodger Stadium was wand-free as of like three weeks ago, guess you other fan bases just can't be trusted to keep your metallic weapons in the parking lot :smug:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I went to Petco for the first time last weekend and that's probably my favorite park I've ever visited. I don't have a huge trip report but it's just an awesome experience all around, aside from the team playing in it. Good beer, good food, pretty view, really fun neighborhood, really easy to get to from LA/OC by train. I had a blast.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pat Clements posted:

I dunno guys, I find it's pretty easy to make friends with people around at ballparks if you can find away to initiate a conversation with them. It's kind of fun going alone and hanging out and having a good time with some people you know you'll never see again and whose names you probably didn't even learn.

In my experience, keeping score actually helps with this, I've had more than a few people start conversations either about keeping score itself or with "hey, what did so-and-so do in the 3rd again?" The key is just to be comfortable enough & have a simple enough system that you're not constantly lost in the scorebook.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

MourningView posted:

I went to Petco for the first time last weekend and that's probably my favorite park I've ever visited. I don't have a huge trip report but it's just an awesome experience all around, aside from the team playing in it. Good beer, good food, pretty view, really fun neighborhood, really easy to get to from LA/OC by train. I had a blast.

It's kind of amazing how different the experience is between going to Petco and going to Qualcomm. It's like a different city.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

They added these at Target Field this year, it doesn't really add any significant time getting into the ballpark. Maybe a couple minutes, but they get you through in roughly the same amount of time as the ticket scanners do so it's just another step.

It really wasn't that bad but it was their first night using them so there was a lot of confusion from both the workers and the crowd. I imagine it will only get smoother with time.

leokitty posted:

All parks are going to have metal detectors, MLB decree.

Yeah, it seems like Comerica has been doing it for a long time.

riht
Dec 13, 2004

i knew u were trouble when u tossed int
I shamefully just made my first trip to Camden Yards this year and had great seats courtesy of a friend. It turned out to be an excellent game to attend as it ended with Chris Davis hitting a pinch-hit walk-off 3-run homer. It was my first time taking my camera, and for any of you who care, I learned that they don't care about cameras with large lenses. Apparently some parks can be more picky.

Also, browsing tickets this year, I noticed that the rooftop bar now has a couple rows of ticketed seats for $30 a pop. I've never been up there, how's the view/overall experience?

Here's a couple of the pictures. They're kind of big so here's a link to some others.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yeah, it seems like Comerica has been doing it for a long time.

A month or so ago I was reminded of how long it had been since I'd gone to a Tigers game when the metal detectors were new to me and everyone was surprised by my surprise.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I'm going to Houston for Labor Day weekend. Any advice for Minute Maid Park, aside from 'don't go to Minute Maid Park for a Sunday day game in August.'

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 28, 2014

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
In August my family and I are going to a Friday night game against the Cardinals at Citizens Bank Park. We got a promotional ticket to sit in the bleacher section in dead-center field over the concession stands in Ashburn Alley. I've been to CBP multiple times, but never to that area. Has anyone sat there? What should I expect?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Coco13 posted:

I'm going to Houston for Labor Day weekend. Any advice for Minute Maid Park, aside from 'don't go to Minute Maid Park for a Sunday day game in August.'

The roof will be closed, so you'll be fine. Are you staying in the downtown area?

A few general MMP things:
There is plenty of street parking around the stadium, which is free after 6pm, and all day on Sunday. Be sure to read the signs, though, to make sure your not in a loading zone or something.

The seats with the worst sightlines are the Crawford boxes. The best are from the sections ending in "17" or so (117, for example), around to about 32. Generally the first base side. Other than those, the mezzanine has a great outfield view, for a really good price.

On a Sunday, even with the roof closed, you may want sunglasses depending on where you sit.

The food is generally good, and the top end stuff will run you $12. I'm not counting the restaurant in centerfield into that, though. It is more expensive.

Beer from the vendors walking around is $7.50, and is limited to Budweiser, bud light, Coors light, and Michelob ultra. You can get smaller draft pours of these for $5 at the food stands built into the concourse, but you can get 24oz bottles of these, and others, at the concourse vendors that are more mobile cart setups for $10.50.

I'm a season ticket holder, so if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. If I think of anything else specific, I'll post about it.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
How bad is Wrigley (the bleachers particularly) in terms of getting harassed? I've never been there wearing opponent's stuff before but I'll probably be in a Rays jersey when I go next month.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Monicro posted:

How bad is Wrigley (the bleachers particularly) in terms of getting harassed? I've never been there wearing opponent's stuff before but I'll probably be in a Rays jersey when I go next month.

Half the crowd at Wrigley are tourists, you'll be fine. And besides, if anyone heckles you, all you have to say is at least you're not a Cubs fan! :v:

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 11, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
But I am a cubs fan sorta :saddowns:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Speaking of Wrigley, the renovations are going forward, so now's the last chance to see it before it joins the 21st century.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Monicro posted:

Just boo the Cubs when they get up to bat and you'll fit right in.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of Wrigley, the renovations are going forward, so now's the last chance to see it before it joins the 21st century.

They added an electronic board in right field this year anyway, so it's just joining the 21st century even more so now. What you'll actually be missing is decent views of the neighborhood, which these new boards will block.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I realized that Wrigley is nicknamed “The Friendly Confines” and find myself bummed that PNC Park doesn’t have a nickname like that.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
On the flip side, PNC Park is one of the nicest in the majors and Wrigley is kind of a shithole, so I think you make out okay there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wrigley Field owns.

Count the Federal League championships.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Wrigley Field owns.

Count the Federal League championships.

Next year will be the 100th year anniversary of the death of the Federal League.

My favorite Chicago baseball fact is the second-most recent baseball championship is the 1927 Chicago American Giants in the Colored World Series.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
How big an impact is this renovation going to have on Wrigley? I've never been, but now I'm debating a 13 hour drive to see it before they ruin it.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

TL posted:

How big an impact is this renovation going to have on Wrigley? I've never been, but now I'm debating a 13 hour drive to see it before they ruin it.

A lot of little details have accrued over 100 years and it looks sloppy. As it stands, the park is a mess structurally and aesthetically, but it's still the same field where Mordecai Brown and some of the greatest players in history have played. This revamp seems to be more about making the aesthetics simpler and more unified rather than things tacked on over the years like the outfield bleachers while also allowing for needed fixes, like the bathrooms, locker rooms, and concourses.

I think it's kinda cool seeing how the stadium has changed over 100 years (and you can kinda see it by the types of bathrooms, the style of the buildings, what was built when), so I enjoy that sort of stuff, but a lot of people don't.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Punch Card posted:

A month or so ago I was reminded of how long it had been since I'd gone to a Tigers game when the metal detectors were new to me and everyone was surprised by my surprise.

The Tigers are the test pilot for the MLB Safety Act going into place after this season. A few ballparks like Progressive Field in Cleveland have started using similar detectors (seriously, they're the exact same models in Detroit AND Cleveland; I've checked them personally), but next season every ballpark will use the same setup the Tigers have been using this entire season, with a couple of tweaks that I haven't specifically heard about yet.

Source: I'm an usher and tour guide for the Tigers and spend way too much time at Comerica Park.

Also, I do have news for those wanting to see the insides of Comerica: We do public tours on Tuesdays and Fridays, 11 AM, 1 and 3 PM start times on non-gamedays and 11 and 1 on gamedays. 6 dollars a person, 4 dollars for kids 3-14.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

TL posted:

You should go and piss in a trough while there's still time.

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

Since we're talking about Wrigley Field, I thought I would post this cool thing from a 1958 Kessler guide about Wrigley and the Cubs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JT_Dutch posted:

Since we're talking about Wrigley Field, I thought I would post this cool thing from a 1958 Kessler guide about Wrigley and the Cubs.

Take that 1958 Phillies. :smug:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Farchanter posted:

In August my family and I are going to a Friday night game against the Cardinals at Citizens Bank Park. We got a promotional ticket to sit in the bleacher section in dead-center field over the concession stands in Ashburn Alley. I've been to CBP multiple times, but never to that area. Has anyone sat there? What should I expect?

I didn't see this post in time, but how was it?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Took ~my girlfriend~ to Dodger Stadium last night for her first ever game there (I've been there plenty). We sat in Reserve 10, above the first base line. No Puig, but she did get to see classic Kershaw, Joc Pederson's first MLB hit, my old nemesis Doug Fister, and some absolutely atrocious defense from Washington. Great game overall. All in all she thought it was her favorite stadium I've taken her to so far (other than Safeco, her hometown - I didn't ask) because of how drat classy everything is. Cool retro vibe/reality, simple and few advertisements, good food. As she said, "there's not a lot of crap going on." It's a pretty sweet place.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I really need to find this mythical good food in Dodger stadium. Seemed pretty basic to me. Dodger Dogs are just a generic boring hot dog, LA, deal with it.

e: Cool-a-Coos are pretty boss though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yankee Stadium was a lot cooler in the 80's and early 90's when the neighborhood resembled Beirut

the stadium itself was also a piece of poo poo, but it was an endearing piece of poo poo at least

• Locked thread