Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

If you need a craft brew while you're at a baseball game you're doing it wrong.

Counterpoint: there's nothing better than sitting down at Busch on a warm, slightly windy Tuesday night with a large glass of Schlafly Kölsch, which by the way happens to cost the same or less than Bud Light, and watching Shelby Miller/Joe Kelly/Trevor Rosenthal throw nothing but 98 MPH fastballs intermixed with the occasional slider so Lilliquist won't harangue them for not inducing ground-ball outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well, my game tonight got postponed, so I'll just do the writeup for US Cellular Field now.

About the Park: First off, almost no one in Chicago actually calls it US Cellular Field, probably because that is a terrible name to say in full. I think only those obligated to say it, such as broadcasters and journalists say that name. I still refer to it as Comiskey, some say Sox Park, and also The Cell. I'm going to refer to it as Comiskey from here on out to stay consistent, but The Cell can be an apt name because there's a whole lot of gray concrete here. Comiskey was opened in 1991 and was unfortunately built right before the retro look for new parks came in to style. This means the park can look rather bland, with lots of the aforementioned concrete. The biggest distinguishing factor about the park is the scoreboard and the fireworks. The Sox light off fireworks, and the pinwheels above the scoreboard light up anytime a Sox player hits a homerun, they also routinely do fireworks nights on weekend night games. These features were started at the old Comiskey Park back in the 70's. There are some water fountains for kids to play in during the warmer days in a couple locations in the park. I'll go more into seating and concessions later.

Getting There: If you want to drive, which a lot of fans do, then you have a few options. First, Comiskey has tons of parking, which makes it the polar opposite of Wrigley. There are lots on the north and south sides of the park, and at ITT, which is on the east side of the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90/94). Coming from the north, you'll get off at 31st street and head south. Coming from the south you need to get off at Pershing. You can prepay for parking and get a pass with your tickets. If you didn't do this you can still pay cash, but if the game is near sold out, I would head to the ITT lots first, since a lot of the ones right next to the park get reserved with prepay passes. Some people do tailgate before games, but I never have. Driving out after the game can take a little bit, but since Comiskey is right next to the expressway, it's not too bad.

Public Transportation wise, the Red Line will drop you off right next to the park at the 35th-Sox stop. The only problem is that on May 19th, the CTA is going to close the Red Line from Cermak south to the end of the line for reconstruction, so this won't be an option. There will be shuttles, but I doubt they'll be worth your time. Good news is that the Green Line runs just a couple blocks away, so that is your next best option. I've only taken the Red Line so I'll talk to that experience. It's usually not too crowded before games, but there will be a long long line to get on right after, so plan accordingly.

Tickets: Tickets are pretty easy to come by to see the White Sox. Even last year I went to a game in September, with the Sox in first place, and Comiskey was maybe half full. The Sox are pretty notorious for not being able to attract fans. First, if it can be avoided, do not sit in the upper deck. It is extremely high up, and really steep. These are not good seats except for maybe the first 10 rows or so, where you aren't so high in the air. The Sox actually removed some rows off the top because of fan complaints it was that bad. Pricing wise, the Sox are slightly above average. It's about $75-90 to sit near the dugouts, $45-$50 for 100 level seats further out. Outfield and upper deck seats are $20-$30. Stubhub is a good resource right now, you can probably find better seats for below face value. Outfield seats aren't bad, there's a lot of space out there, and you get a decent view.

Concessions: Can't say that Comiskey will blow you away with their food or beer. Standard hot dogs, burgers, brats and polish can be had around the stadium. I can't remember much in the way of craft beer. Bud and Miller are available from vendors walking around. Like the stadium itself, I don't think there's anything special here.

Other: There is a fan deck in the outfield, never been up there, but I think you can get better beer here, while standing to watch the game. There is the Stadium Club out in right field. You need special tickets to get in, but it's a good place to get some food and drinks before the game. There's a bar that I believe is open to anyone before and after the game. Comiskey is pretty much the exact opposite of Wrigley in a lot of ways. There are very very few places to go around the park. The Sox built the Bacardi Club along 35th street a couple years ago, after that you need to walk at least a 1/2 mile to get to any bar or restaurant. Most people just leave right after the game. The neighborhood surrounding Comiskey is not the greatest, but it's a lot better than what it used to be. If you're determined to go to a local place after the game, I'd guess try for Schaller's Pump.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I went to Angel Stadium in Anaheim for a couple of games over the weekend. On Saturday, my team got loving embarrassed from the first inning on. Then on Sunday, I was sitting in left field, where dozens of kids were yelling "TROUT!!!!!" every 10 seconds, and my team lost again. Overall, 0/10 would not go again

Were you in the family section? That would explain the screaming kids.

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

If I am to suffer a 5-14 baseball team, I at least want to have a good tasting beer.

Troy Queef posted:

Counterpoint: there's nothing better than sitting down at Busch on a warm, slightly windy Tuesday night with a large glass of Schlafly Kölsch, which by the way happens to cost the same or less than Bud Light, and watching Shelby Miller/Joe Kelly/Trevor Rosenthal throw nothing but 98 MPH fastballs intermixed with the occasional slider so Lilliquist won't harangue them for not inducing ground-ball outs.
I like the IPA from Schlafly. Have not had the Kölsch.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

On the other hand, those craft beer stands can be great, especially in Arlington where you can get Shiner instead of drinking Bud Light.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Why would you get a terrible beer for like $7 when you could get a nice one for a dollar or two more? From what I've seen prices for nice beers aren't double or something loony. Live a little.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm a yankee fan that's envious of citi field.

It's so much nicer. If only it was closer to downtown and the mets didn't play there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr.AARP posted:

Were you in the family section? That would explain the screaming kids.

All of Orange County is the family section.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
I'd like to add to this US Cellular Field post:

Meltathon posted:

Tickets: First, if it can be avoided, do not sit in the upper deck. It is extremely high up, and really steep. These are not good seats except for maybe the first 10 rows or so, where you aren't so high in the air...Outfield and upper deck seats are $20-$30. Stubhub is a good resource right now, you can probably find better seats for below face value.

I disagree completely that the upper deck tickets are bad viewing. The stairs going up are very steep, I'll give you that. But once you're in your seat the view from the upper deck is pretty good. Also they revamped ticket pricing this year and upper deck tickets start at $7 from the White Sox website ($10 and change after taxes/fees). Those $7 tickets are perfect for moving around the upper deck or just going to the bullpen sports bar (any ticket gets you in) in right field. They have limited outside seating, but the tables outside are fantastic if you're early enough to get one. You're field level in right. This was my view a couple Saturdays ago:

Bad thing about buying upper deck tickets at the Cell is that you CAN'T access the main concourse, which is really stupid. You can still get to the Fundamentals area which is neat the first time you see it, but you can't get down to the main level.

Meltathon posted:

Concessions: I can't remember much in the way of craft beer. Bud and Miller are available from vendors walking around. Like the stadium itself, I don't think there's anything special here.

There are craft beer stands on both levels that have decent stuff for like $8 a beer. The best priced beer, quantity wise, are the 24 oz. Miller Lite/MGDs for $10 though.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I haven't been to a baseball game since I was a kid - I think the last one I went to was at the Steel Yard in Gary, IN, to see the RailCats play. I've been to Wrigley and Comiskey a couple of times. This thread is sparking my desire to start going to a few games again. Off to go look at tickets for Comiskey...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

You don't NEED it but if it's there, why not?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

There's not really a lot of specialty craft beers sold at Coors, there are several "Beers of the World" carts around the ballpark that sell foreign beers. If you want a craft beer, just walk across the street to one of the bars next door before or after the game.

And Blue Moon is good :colbert:

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

will_colorado posted:

There's not really a lot of specialty craft beers sold at Coors, there are several "Beers of the World" carts around the ballpark that sell foreign beers. If you want a craft beer, just walk across the street to one of the bars next door before or after the game.

And Blue Moon is good :colbert:

I have been going to Denver every other month for work for the past 2 years and have hit up many Rockies games. I usually get a ticket just before the game either from a scalper or for rock pile tickets if still available. I often sit in the LF seats since that's usually my favorite in any ball park. LF is also where Helton's food stand and like you suggest I get a burger with onions and the sauce and a big rear end beer from there. Wynkoop is common post game hangout and one of the 2-3 other joints across the street from the stadium for pregame. I also like Blue moon!

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

IcePhoenix posted:

You are doing a gigantic disservice to the Murray's Steak Sandwich, sir :colbert:

Also if you are not a beer drinking man then you can also get Killebrew's Root Beer which is amazing.

This is exactly what I had at Target Field and it was fantastic. Root Beer and a Steak Sandwich.

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

angrygodofjebus posted:

I disagree completely that the upper deck tickets are bad viewing. The stairs going up are very steep, I'll give you that. But once you're in your seat the view from the upper deck is pretty good. Also they revamped ticket pricing this year and upper deck tickets start at $7 from the White Sox website ($10 and change after taxes/fees). Those $7 tickets are perfect for moving around the upper deck or just going to the bullpen sports bar (any ticket gets you in) in right field. They have limited outside seating, but the tables outside are fantastic if you're early enough to get one. You're field level in right. This was my view a couple Saturdays ago:

Bad thing about buying upper deck tickets at the Cell is that you CAN'T access the main concourse, which is really stupid. You can still get to the Fundamentals area which is neat the first time you see it, but you can't get down to the main level.

There are craft beer stands on both levels that have decent stuff for like $8 a beer. The best priced beer, quantity wise, are the 24 oz. Miller Lite/MGDs for $10 though.

I'm planning on going later in May and looking at the bleacher seats. One question: do those have backs to the seats? I couldn't image that they didn't and I don't want to assume.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

lmao Craft beer chat. The Jays have like Steamwhistle I guess (which is bad).

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

MassaShowtime posted:

lmao Craft beer chat. The Jays have like Steamwhistle I guess (which is bad).

Mmm, you can really taste the Lake Ontario!

I haven't been to a Jays game in a few, but I remember a few years back they seemed dedicated towards bringing the food and drink choices up to par with other stadiums. I guess they forgot about that initiative.

Never really bothered me, I just drink the overpriced piss like a chump and have never been one to eat at ballgames so I have never really longed for that American experience of eating a massive steak sandwich/3 foot long hotdog/replica helmet sushi platter while I watch a game.

I really never knew what I was missing out on what with the food/drink culture of baseball in the States. If I could get a good beer at a game I most certainly would.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Have you ever wanted to visit one of the older stadiums in the system? Have you desired to feel the unnerving fear of possibly getting shanked in the parking lot for wearing the opposing team's jersey? Do you like rowdy Latinos who know how to have a great time watching baseball? Then let's discuss...

Dodger Stadium

History
Dodger Stadium is one of the few remaining "classic" stadiums in the MLB system. Having been opened in 1962 after the Dodgers' move from Brooklyn, it is the third-oldest park still in regular operation behind Wrigley and Fenway. Walking around the infield sections of the park, you will usually see murals dedicated to players or events from the Dodgers past, be it Koufax, Nomo, or their several pennant wins. While the club has had its share of negative attention and "pop culture" fandom lately due to its past owner and recent sale to the group containing Magic Johnson, it's important to remember that you also have the likes of Vin Scully and other legends actively attending the game. It's an odd contrast of people going because "Dodger Blue" is their gang sign and people who genuinely remember watching Jackie Robinson.

Directions and Parking
Dodger Stadium is located in Elysian Park, dug into on of the mountains near downtown Los Angeles. Have you ever watched a game and noticed the stadium seems mostly empty well into the 4th inning? That is why. The mountain means there are only a couple of access roads leading into the park, the main one being Stadium Way. It is extremely important if you are visiting for the first time that you must plan to arrive exceptionally early. While many ballparks have ample space around their fields, Dodger Stadium does not, and it will be compounded by already terrible LA traffic. If you want to watch batting practice, make sure you try to arrive by the time gates open. To give a comparison, I live in Burbank, 10 miles from the stadium, and I am nervous if I am not on the road by 4:30 for a 7:15 game. Once you get up the hill and into the park, however, the parking lot is huge, and the Southern spaces offer one of the best views of downtown LA you will ever see (many commercials use this area). General Parking is only $10, and preferred is $35.

If you have no other way of making it, the stadium does offer the Dodger Stadium Express Bus from Union Station in downtown. The service starts 90 minutes before each game and ends 45 minutes after. Tickets act as your fare, but if you aren't going to the game it's the standard $1.50 metro fare.

When leaving the game, spend some time walking around, checking out the Club Store, and chatting with people who seem friendly enough. Go and check out the view of downtown. Do this for roughly two hours. No, really. Leaving Dodger Stadium is arguably a worse mess than actually getting into the ballpark because of the lack of access roads. You will be stuck for a good while if you chose to stay the entire game.

Seating Prices and What You Get
Much like any other event in Los Angeles, prices are going to vary wildly based on location, day, opposing team, and a ton of other factors. Being mostly a Cardinals fan transplanted out here, I will say that I generally find the prices to be on the cheaper side of other stadium I have visited. If you want really cheap seats, the upper terraces are often cheaper than the cost of actually parking at the stadium. The Left Field bleachers tend to be reasonable, as well, though they can get fairly rowdy if it's a particularly close rival. Infield and Infield Loge boxes tend to range between $70-120 from what I have noticed on weekend games, with the prices dropping to lows around $40 for outfield. The Dodgers use a "Star Pricing" system based on the popularity of promotions or matchups, so plan accordingly, but I've never felt like I broke the bank trying to get in. The stadium itself is definitely one of the older stadiums, and its upkeep tends to reflect that a little bit though it has been kept in better condition than most ballparks its age tend to be. If you do manage to get a group together for one of the Suites, those are pretty immaculate and well worth the money if you are a big baseball fan.

The main drawbacks are going to be the lack of shade (remember, it's LA in the Summer. I cannot stress this enough), that you cannot walk around the entire stadium (the outfield pavilions are cut off from the rest), and the rowdy crowd that has been well documented. On the whole, the stadium is fairly open with good views all around. The new giant screen is pretty cool, but most of the stadium and seats feel untouched for the most part outside of general maintenance and repair. It doesn't feel dirty, like I've often been told of Wrigley or the old Yankee Stadium, but it definitely does not have the flourishes and flair of newer stadiums. Which is actually kind of the appeal of it on the whole. No waterslides or anything. Though such things fit very well with their respective teams, Dodger Stadium tries to focus on just the baseball with little else to distract the audience. Some people really enjoy that and others find it boring. I tend to like it quite a bit and feel it's one of the few places I can watch a game just like they did in the older days.

Food and the Right Field Pavilion
Food is pretty standard ballpark fare with pretty standard ballpark prices to go along with it. Obviously you will want to get a Dodger Dog while you are there are some point, but they also have several stands with more a more California/Latino flair, like churros and carne asada tacos. There are also several chain food places like Carl's Jr. located throughout the stadium.

Probably the biggest perk of Dodger Stadium, though, is the Right Field bleachers, also known as the "All-You-Can-Eat Pavilion." It's exactly what it sounds like. Tickets tend to range between $40-$60 and includes all you can eat Dodger dogs, nachos, popcorn, peanuts, and soda. You just get in a concession line, grab what you want, and come back later to refuel. They also sell a few of the premium items like beer and ice cream, but they are not included in the ticket price like the main concession. Last time a group and I left the AYCE seats, we had a bag of 20+ hot dogs that concessions were trying to clear after the 8th inning.

The Game and Fans
Watching a game at Dodger Stadium can be pretty fun on the whole. LA fans of any sport tend to get a bad rap, and Dodger Stadium isn't an exception due to past documented events. You will probably run into a few "cholos" who will harass you a bit if you're wearing an opposing team's shirt, but generally security is tight enough that there aren't a ton of big issues. As long as you aren't making an rear end of yourself and can roll with the punches, you'll have a good time. There aren't many bad seats in the house, and if you can go with someone born and raised in Los Angeles, you'll likely find that they are really great, warm baseball fans instead of the stigma of gangbangers wearing LA hats for the color more than anything. I have personally never had issues, even wearing a big ol' Cardinals jersey, and have met a lot of great people at the games. The only downside to the fans that I have seen is that the stadium is fairly quiet until it gets to be about the 5th inning due to traffic getting in. If you're ever worried about visiting, the safe route is the All You Can Eat seats, which definitely has a big family atmosphere and remains a large tourist section for visiting teams. Not to mention having a great view of the field.

If you get a chance to go on a big promotion days, you'll likely find a lot of legends walking around. Pictures On The Field Day is especially fun. There are frequent autograph signings from past players at the giant black banner between the bleacher sections before the game, and I believe they've started doing a lot of Fan Appreciation stuff in the parking lots directly across from the outfield entrances. Evening games are especially pretty with the stadium lit up, and are a great way to get outdoors to enjoy SoCal weather with palm trees in view. And, for all their media attention, Dodger fans just know how to have fun watching the game and you'll probably get a lot of entertaining conversation while there. If you want to sit outside, enjoying the warm weather, and talking baseball/poo poo with other fans, this is a wonderful place to be,

Conclusion
Dodger Stadium is a good ballpark to visit, and tends to be a nice thing to add to your first trip to Los Angeles if you are a baseball fan at all. While it tends to get a bad rap and lacks the star power of Angels Stadium right now, there are a lot of positives to viewing a game here. It doesn't have the flourish of some of the newer parks out there, but you'll find a lot of great history in its walls and a pretty entertaining crowd when the team is on a roll. I wouldn't call it the best ballpark in the world, but it's definitely a Los Angeles ballpark with all the positives and negatives that come with that.

I'll try and do my writeup for Busch Stadium in another post.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 24, 2013

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Busch Stadium

History
If you are a fan of baseball history, it's hard not to talk about the St. Louis Cardinals. While I won't go into the team's accomplishments on the whole, it's important to note that the newest iteration of Busch Stadium definitely strives to portray that history as best as possible. Despite being a relatively new stadium in MLB, there are a ton of touches that show why St. Louis is often considered such a huge baseball town, whether it's the final scoreboard from the old Busch or the famous Stan The Man statue outside. When building the new stadium, the club tried its best to remain true to the "classic" style of stadium, free of a lot of flourishes or gimmicks. There are numerous dedications to classic players and awards throughout the ballpark. Construction just started on a new Ballpark Village outside the stadium which I believe will include the Cardinals History museum, as well as several more shops and seating when completed.

If you ever get the chance, going to Busch Stadium on Opening Day is a truly special experience with a great deal of tradition behind it. Watching the legends like Ozzie Smith and Gibson, clapping to the Budweiser Clydesdales making their rounds, and watching any number of military planes (usually the nearby B-2 Bombers) fly over is an awesome experience. St. Louis is fairly small by city standards, with a ton of rural areas surrounding it without a lot of other entertainment. So, for decades, baseball has been our primary sport and "thing to do" in the area, and that love definitely shows through during a game.

Directions and Parking
Busch is one of the biggest centerpieces to the downtown area, along with the Arch and Old Courthouse. You will have very little trouble finding it once you're downtown (seriously, it's extremely hard to miss from the I-55 and I-64 with its rose-brick exterior and signs everywhere), and while the stadium does have a couple of official lots, most of the parking is handled by other garages scattered throughout downtown. The prices vary, with the close spots being between $12-$20. I've always had the most luck with a garage right behind Shannon's restaurant that's usually only $5-$10 max. A lot of the downtown area and hotels are easily within walking distance. Generally, you'll have luck in a ton of areas South of Pine St. There is a Metrolink stop right outside (called, surprise, Stadium Station), if you are using public transportation or wanted to come from Union Station.

Traffic after the game can get to be a little nutsy since St. Louis is such a small city for the most part. If trying to reach one of the freeways after a game, expect to be sitting for a while.

Seating Prices and What You Get
Busch Stadium uses a dynamic seating price on the official site, so it will vary quite a bit. Busch tends to be on the reasonable side for the majority of games, but expect big rivalries or promotions to get pretty expensive for such a small-market area. Depending on the promotion or day, Infield boxes can be anywhere from $60 for weekday games against Arizona to $120 for weekend Beer Stein Day. There are several All-Inclusive areas that help mitigate the cost and typically include food. Outfield, bleachers, and upper-deck areas tend to be cheap, but even they can get a little silly if it's a Ring giveaway or popular bobblehead night, so be aware. Seriously, St. Louis loves their giveaways. Probably the biggest issue you'll have isn't the prices but just getting tickets. Stub Hub has mitigated this a lot in recent years, but keep in mind that the stadium averages 40-41k fans a game. The stadium capacity is 44,000. Games are extremely popular, especially on weekends, and getting prime seats for a large family will need to be thought out ahead of time.

In any case, one of the best things about the stadium is also the freedom to walk around the ballpark, so you may not be stuck in one area the whole time. The new Busch Stadium did add several walls that inhibit viewing, but there are still several great areas to get up and watch the game. That's almost a Cardinal tradition in itself! The stadium and areas are extremely nice and new with one of the best ballpark views in the majors. Try to get a decent spot behind home plate, and you'll be treated with gorgeous views of the Arch, Courthouse, and the rest of downtown. If you can, try to arrive in time for batting practice, as they allow fans to go down to the Field level to watch and attempt to get autographs near the dugouts before the game. When buying tickets, I'd recommend looking for seats in a shaded area, as Missouri in the Summer is either extremely hot and humid, or the ocean itself is pouring on top of you. There is no in between, and while bleachers can be a nice, cheap way to catch a game, they can get really uncomfortable if you aren't prepared for the weather. There is a little irony about having such a great ballpark in an area with such lovely weather, so keep an eye on the forecast when visiting.

There are lots of family activities and things to do before and during the game, with hosts doing trivia and activities throughout the ballpark. Get there when the gates open (there will definitely be a line. There's always a line) and enjoy the atmosphere. One of the most popular sections of the park is another St. Louis company: Build-A-Bear, or in the stadium's case, Build-A-Fredbird. Even my girlfriend who hates baseball couldn't help but make one as a gift. If they're still on display, make sure to go and visit the trophy area to get shots with one of the World Series awards. If you do happen to go on a promotional day, they tend to be very good items like wearable WS ring replicas, high-end bobbleheads, full jerseys, and beer steins.

Concessions
Budweiser. Budweiser everywhere. But seriously, one big lacking area of the park is its food. The prices are fairly standard for being a ballpark but there's not much in the way of anything extremely special or unique. The beer machines pour from the bottom-up, which is kind of cool and unnerving the first time you see it, but aside from that it's mostly your usual hot dogs, nachos, cotton candy, and so on. The All-Inclusive areas are a little different, if you go that route, and tend to be pretty good on the whole. You'll also find some decent BBQ areas around. I'd love to see some toasted ravioli stands or something but no luck yet.

The Game and Fans
Busch Stadium is one of the major tourist attractions in the city largely because of its reputation as "The Red Sea." Fans are extremely welcoming, love talking baseball, and will get excited at every turn. A ton of sports folk have called St. Louis "the best fans in baseball," and while I don't know if it's true or not, I think most people who have been agree that games are a very positive experience. Visitors for other teams tend to be welcomed with open arms and you'll probably have a few little old ladies chat you up about where you're from. Most games are packed from the get-go with a fun atmosphere. The crowd loves its players and tend to get extremely loud when exciting things happen. You'll often be sitting near people with handheld radios who are listening to Mike Shannon and John Rooney on KMOX while the game's in progress, trying to reach Peak Baseball out of the whole game. If visiting for the first time, hope one of the home players knocks one out of the park; Busch launches fireworks and blares its actual tornado sirens after ever home run. It feels like a giant party. A lot of Cards fans get flack on SA for their online stupidity, but you genuinely won't feel it at the ballpark without actively trying to have a bad experience.

Hot, muggy nights at the stadium are a pretty great way to visit St. Louis after the other attractions are closed, and a lot of people use it as an end-cap to their day. After the game, you can usually find a ton of people in the bars and restaurants down in the area, with the aforementioned Shannon's being a favorite. On nicer nights, there's even tailgating or celebrations going on in the nearby parking lots. Feel free to chat up people!

Conclusion
There's a reason Busch is consistently ranked among the best parks in baseball. It does have its drawbacks, like pricing, lack of food variety, and a downtown area that shuts down after 7PM, but the positives outweigh the negatives by far. It's really a must-see ballpark if you are ever in the area. Don't let a few fans' internet ramblings turn you off, because you'll be missing out on a great time. I can't really say much else about going there except to just do it if you're a baseball fan and visiting St. Louis. You really won't regret it.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 24, 2013

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm a yankee fan that's envious of citi field.

It's so much nicer. If only it was closer to downtown and the mets didn't play there.

I think both buildings miss the mark in a lot of different ways. Citizens Bank got it all right and I was so excited for Citi Field thinking we'd get that same experience in New York but neither building feel like they work as well as CPB does and I even find myself missing Shea a lot these days. Funny thing is when Shea was on it's last legs I would tell my buddies how I couldent wait till we didn't have to watch baseball in such a shithole any more. Be careful what you wish for.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Axel Serenity posted:

If you have no other way of making it, the stadium does offer the Dodger Stadium Express Bus from Union Station in downtown. The service starts 90 minutes before each game and ends 45 minutes after. Tickets act as your fare, but if you aren't going to the game it's the standard $1.50 metro fare.

I'm going to say that for at least the near future, public transit to Chavez Ravine deserves better than "if you have no other way", since they've got a dedicated lane for the buses on Sunset. Who knows if it'll last.

You still can't access anything but bleachers with the outfield entrances, despite deceptive new walkways by the bullpens. I thought they were going to fix that, given the public perception of long walks in the parking lot.

EDIT: Also, the food in the right field pavillion is pretty gross, you're going to find the far inferior boiled versions of the Dodger Dogs instead of the grilling machine you get elsewhere, and people have reported the occasional health department red flag out there when it comes to the age of the ingredients. It also tends to be one of the crazier parts of the stadium, since it draws the tailgate crowd at a stadium that doesn't allow tailgating, and there seems to be a curious correlation between free drinks and food with people throwing drinks and food on other people to be assholes.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 24, 2013

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I've been to the Trop a couple hundred times, but I'm not so sure I could do a writeup to woo people into coming to the Trop. Plus I haven't been there since the opening of last season so I'm not quite as current on it.

Just know that it is clearly the greatest stadium ever built as you see reiterated all the time in publications and through media. Baseball was clearly meant to be played under the glorious spectacle of a catwalk supported dome with artificial grass.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

angrygodofjebus posted:

Thanks for the additional stuff, I was going to post more because I realized I forgot a bunch of stuff I was going to say, but you covered almost all of it. The one other thing I was going to mention is that if you go to the north parking lot, you can find the home plate from Old Comiskey Park. I forget exactly where it's at, but I think it's just a little north of 35th Street, and towards the east end of the lot.

I absolutely hate the rule that if you have Upper Deck seats you can't even get to the field level, not even to just look around. That is part of the reason I hate Upper Deck also, but I didn't realize they were that cheap.

Schrute Nation posted:

I'm planning on going later in May and looking at the bleacher seats. One question: do those have backs to the seats? I couldn't image that they didn't and I don't want to assume.

I sat in the outfield last year, and I'm pretty sure there were backs to the seats. I was in center field, but I can't remember if the left field seats are true bleachers are not.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 24, 2013

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Thanks, Meltathon and angrygodofjebus. Is it worth it to walk to the Green Line after the game for shorter lines leaving the stadium?

Edit: I won't get harassed too much for showing up by myself in a Rays jersey, will I?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Out of curiosity, are first pitch/rush tickets a thing that is unique to Busch? $11.20 gets you two tickets...somewhere in the stadium. It's random, and you don't know until you've literally gone through the gate.

I feel like that sort of promotion can't possibly be unique, but googling First Pitch Tickets with Chicago and New York keeps coming back with the Cards.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Thanks, Meltathon and angrygodofjebus. Is it worth it to walk to the Green Line after the game for shorter lines leaving the stadium?

Edit: I won't get harassed too much for showing up by myself in a Rays jersey, will I?

I've never actually went to the Green Line after a game, so I'm not sure. I doubt you will get harassed about a Rays jersey, but there can always be a couple assholes. I've gone to a game with an Indians fan before, and she didn't catch any flak.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Im going to NYS next weekend for Yanks/As. My friend wants to sit in good ol sec 203. How are the Creatures in the new park vs the old park?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Boxman posted:

Out of curiosity, are first pitch/rush tickets a thing that is unique to Busch? $11.20 gets you two tickets...somewhere in the stadium. It's random, and you don't know until you've literally gone through the gate.

I feel like that sort of promotion can't possibly be unique, but googling First Pitch Tickets with Chicago and New York keeps coming back with the Cards.

This sounds kind of awesome

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

TUS posted:

Im going to NYS next weekend for Yanks/As. My friend wants to sit in good ol sec 203. How are the Creatures in the new park vs the old park?

Less of them, still as stupid.

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Axel Serenity posted:

Busch Stadium
I like Busch Stadium. A bit of an annual tradition a friend and I started is that we would meet in St. Louis every Padres-Cardinals series. She spent some time in St. Louis and grew fond of baseball hence became a Cardinals fan. And then there is me. I enjoy the trip and I've never had once a problem being the visitor fan there. This year the series is right after the All Star Break so I can expect it to be torridly hot won't I.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Boxman posted:

This is really cool, and I want the Cubs and Sox to do this. I would go to a lot more games if it cost less than $6 a ticket and I might get lucky with a good seat.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
I will add that Axel Serenity's fear over leaving early for Dodgers games is weird because I grew up 45 miles from the stadium (in Ventura County) and we never left before 5 pm for 7 pm games and we never had trouble getting into the park, getting food and getting to our seats well before the game started.

On the other hand, the southbound 5 isn't so bad. I live in Orange County now and driving to Chavez Ravine on a weeknight makes me want to kill myself.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

The congestion certainly isn't as bad at the Green Line, so if you are heading North like 85% of people are it's worth it. If for whatever reason you're heading South on either line the whole thing becomes a non-issue.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

thefncrow posted:

On the other hand, those craft beer stands can be great, especially in Arlington where you can get Shiner instead of drinking Bud Light.

The beers of Texas place in LF is one of the few reasons I'm willing to roast my rear end off in that section. Ziegenbock or Shiner instead of Bud Light? Yes, please.

I'd do a full write up of the ballpark, but I honestly always get the cheapest food I can find. I guess we have the boomstick and whatever other gimmick food they came up with this year. It's a pretty nice park though! Just don't sit in LF during the day unless you want to die.

Scruffy the janitor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 24, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

armoredgorilla posted:

Stuff about Camden Yards in Baltimore

Here are some additional tips:

- Need a free place to park? Just west of MLK Boulevard is Parkin Street (no, seriously), next to the B&O Railroad Museum. Park on Parkin Street, next to the fence that surrounds the trains - but don't park above Pratt Street, though, as that part of Parkin has signs. I've parked there daily for work, and have used it for Orioles games for the last decade.

- Inside Camden Yards is a place called The Baltimore Chop House. You can get a great steak sandwich with a fried egg on it. One of the better things offered in-park. Also hit up anything with a Flying Dog logo.

- Here are some of the vendors at Camden Yards. The article is from 2010, but most of those folks are still around.

- Even if you don't plan on eating there, Boog's Barbecue usually has a visitor: Boog Powell. He's a nice guy and will sign stuff, chat, and so on.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Red posted:

- Even if you don't plan on eating there, Boog's Barbecue usually has a visitor: Boog Powell. He's a nice guy and will sign stuff, chat, and so on.

Thanks for bringing this up as I've been kind of fascinated with Powell ever since I stumbled onto one of his managerial baseball cards as a kid and will definitely visit Boog's the next time I make it to Baltimore. I probably wouldn't tell him I used his name as my GM name in an OOTP online league if I ever met him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

tadashi posted:

Thanks for bringing this up as I've been kind of fascinated with Powell ever since I stumbled onto one of his managerial baseball cards as a kid and will definitely visit Boog's the next time I make it to Baltimore. I probably wouldn't tell him I used his name as my GM name in an OOTP online league if I ever met him.

That would be odd, but, somehow, I'm pretty sure he's heard far, far stranger.

I'm pretty sure he's happy to talk to non-drunks and have people buy his food.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I guess since the All-Star Game is at Citi Field this year it deserves something.

Location/Getting there

This is the neighborhood that surrounds Citi Field. Some of the worst 3rd world shithole you can find in New York City. There is *nothing* to do around the stadium except get shady don't-cost-as-much-as-they-should car parts from one of the many chop shops in the area. It is a literal industrial wasteland and the property owners are in a years long fight with the city as the city desperately wants to redevelop the area but is still seeking to buy out (or seize) the various plots of land. There are no bars outside the stadium. There are no food establishments outside the stadium. There isn't an ATM or any other stuff you would expect to surround a major attraction. If you do drive and park in the ample team owned lots that surround the stadium you can tailgate, but it is discouraged officially and if you try and violate New York City ordinances by drinking from an open alcohol container you *WILL* get a summons. NYPD patrols the lots with uniformed and plainclothes officers and one of the things they're looking for is your dumb rear end grilling burgers and drinking out of a Budweiser can. If you take the time to pour your booze into a solo cup or whatever and make sure no one sees the cans/bottles (even empties) then you can get away with a little pre-game boozing (they really only look for visible open containers) but just know that if your dumb or careless the City of New York will make you pay for it.

Now the pros: Citi Field sits at the junction of a few major highways and has ample -- and safe -- parking lots. Driving there relatively is easy, parking is easy, getting out of the lots and back onto the highway is easy. You can even avoid paying for parking if you don't mind a little walk and know where to find street parking in Corona or under the LIE overpasses that surround the stadium, but unless your a regular I don't recommended even trying those options. Just pay the 20-35 bucks to park. Your car will be there unmolested after the game. If for some reason you want to deal with New York City traffic, getting to the stadium by car is doable.

That said, don't drive unless you have to. The 7 train and the LIRR both have stops that take you right there and the NYC subway is safe, fast, cheap, and easy. Really, think long and hard before you drive. Take the train if at all possible. The stops are RIGHT there and you wont have to fight with the traffic that's trying to get to LaGuardia airport on your way in or out. It'll also save you money. Take the train. Did I mention take the train? Take the loving train.

Tickets

There are many seats available for probably every game save the inter league Mets/Yankees games (and even then there might be seats this year). Opening day did not sell out and you could buy tickets at the walk up window. The Mets use *dynamic pricing* that theoretically makes tickets cheaper for less desirable games and more expensive for the more in demand games, but since demand is so soft most of the time tickets are easy and cheap to come by. Always check stubhub 1st, there is plenty of inventory on stubhub and much of it way below face. Feel bad for the sucker season ticket holder you are buying from and enjoy cheaper seats. There really isn't a reason to pay full price. Also the team is running constant promotions. I think they are giving you a free ticket if you can prove that days game is your birthday and other stuff like that.

The problem with Mets ticketing is that despite the soft demand the tickets are still way overpriced even accounting for the New York market. $50 in Baltimore might get you sitting on top of the dugout, in Citi Field it will get you all way down the lines at best or somewhere in the outfield.

Things to watch out for:

Left Field upper deck (Promenade level sections 538 - 528)- Don't sit here. The views are some of the worst in the building and there is no reason to sit there even if you have a ticket seat for those areas. You're betting off taking advantage of the standing room views from the lower concourse then sitting upstairs in left field.

Caesars Club - An entire club level mezzanine deck that goes from the restaurant in left (more on that later) all the way around down the right field lines. The club itself is actually pretty nice with a few bars and places to lounge pr-game and during the game if you are so inclined. It's also tops for rain delays. The the seats themselves are not that bad, it's they're just too expensive for what you get. You're paying the club premium and if you just want to watch the drat game it's not worth paying extra for access to a bar and some slightly less trafficked concessions and bathrooms.

Obviously keep in mind if you're sitting in the outfield seats you will have limited to no views of the scoreboards and the secondary video boards, especially in the lower bowl, are very limited.

All that said, for the most part the seating is decent and you can enjoy the game from most anywhere. Your own budget will be the determining factor on where you should sit. The Pepsi Porch is a relatively unique view as parts of it overhang the actual playing field. The standing room is plentiful and awesome. Yankee Stadium has behind home plate SRO space that Citi lacks, but the views from the Shea Bridge are great and it's not a bad place to spend the whole game. The upper and lower concourses are open so you can find a view you like from almost anywhere in the park and enjoy it.

You can also walk down behind the bullpens in right field and watch the relievers warm up and try to heckle them, though there is a plexiglass screen, chain link fence, and a moat/service walkway separating you from the players.

Concessions

The food at Citi is ballpark expensive but pretty decent. I think it's the best ballpark food in the region (I've been to every park in the the Northeast from Fenway to Camden). There are two main food areas in the building. The main concourse behind center field and the upper concourse behind home plate. Of course you can get a hotdog and a beer virtually anywhere in the building but the more specialty stuff is clustered in those two areas with a few exceptions.

Get inside just after the gates open otherwise you'll face a long multiple innings line to get a Shake Shack burger (behind center field). One of my favorites are the lobster roll at Catch of the Day (down the right field line, main concourse). Also try Keith's Burgers which I think are permanently located at a stand in the upper level concourse behind home plate. Blue Smoke BBQ is also pretty good. I haven't had the pizza since they changed it to Two Boots, but I hear it's good. Also of note are the various frozen drink stands if you feel like a margarita or daiquiri or something. There's also the Worlds Fare Market area which has a sushi stand, pre-made salads, and some baked goods (orange and blue frosted cookies and cupcakes) but every year that area gets more and more barren.

There are also several Gluten Free stands and Kosher stands if you have those needs.

There are several restaurants. The main one being the Accela Club in left field. Tickets from certain sections of the ballpark allow you to call ahead and get a reservation for game day. If you don't have a reservation they do take walkups if there is availability. There are two seatings, one pregame and one during the game. You sit against the windows in a tiered seating area (and there is also an available outside balcony) that overlook the field. There's a prefix menu that you can chose from. You only have to pay for the price of the meal ($70-$80) if my memory is right. Unlike other ballparks there is no needed 'club membership' that you have to purchase separately. The food is decent for the price. I've been a few times and enjoyed the experience.

There's also a full service sit down restaurant in the Delta club (those are the super expensive seats behind home plate). I've never ate there or talked to anyone who has.

In the lower bowl there is in-seat food service basically from dugout to dugout. The areas right behind home plate have an expanded menu.

The Mallpark Experience

Check out the Jackie Robinson Rotunda as you enter the building. It's a moving tribute to a great American and Brooklyn Dodger. Get your picture taken with a large Dodger Blue 42 sculpture. Buy a Dodger hat/t-shirt/or jersey in any one of the many team stores.

The Mets Hall of Fame and Museum is right off the Rotunda and has the World Series Trophies and a bunch of fun exhibits highlight the better parts of Mets history. There are also Cooperstown style plaques for Mets Hall of Fame members in a nice little display. Exit through the main team store.

FanFest behind center field right near the Shake Shack et al is a kids play area with a wiffel ball field, dunk tank, kids apparel team store, and other stuff to distract the little ones.

There are team stores everywhere. There is a kids stuff teamed store like I said near fanfest, a women's only apparel on the Caesars level in right field. The main store is right off the Rotunda. If it has a Mets logo on it and you cant find it at Citi Field they don't make it. There's also a booth selling game used stuff if you have more money then sense and need a Ruben Tejada game used batting glove or something.

The Fans

What fans? Ha. Citi doesn't have any bleacher creatures or whatever. There are no territorial jackasses. Just depressed baseball fans that hate their lives and torture themselves with overpriced mediocre baseball. There is no Dodgers/Giants Giants/A's you will get stabbed just for showing up in the wrong team jersey element.

Come cheer your opposing team on. As long as you don't spill beer on anybody else no one will care or bother you. The only exception are the Mets/Yankees games which bring out the absolute scum of humanity to the park. Probably the worst crowds in all of baseball.

Our superfans are a dwindling lot. Even sign guy #3 has disappeared. Cowbell man still prowls the concourses, but I think that guy really misses the layout of Shea where he could walk/be heard in the stands without having to duck into the concourses to make his way around the building.

Citi Field is a unfortunately a pretty generic bland modern mallpark. That is, it's a place designed to seprate you from your money more then it's a place to make the act of watching baseball more enjoyable then anything else. It's a decent place to catch a game, but it lacks a certain charm. I never thought I'd be nostalgic from the rotting shitheap that was Shea Stadium, but it felt like home. Citi Field still feels like somebody else's park. Maybe it's the recent history of depressing teams that hasn't allowed the franchise to make its mark on the building, but something is missing there. That said, if you want to watch NL baseball in New York City it's where you have to go, and it gets the job done. As a visitor you wont have a bad time.

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

OdinsBeard posted:

I will add that Axel Serenity's fear over leaving early for Dodgers games is weird because I grew up 45 miles from the stadium (in Ventura County) and we never left before 5 pm for 7 pm games and we never had trouble getting into the park, getting food and getting to our seats well before the game started.

On the other hand, the southbound 5 isn't so bad. I live in Orange County now and driving to Chavez Ravine on a weeknight makes me want to kill myself.

I think the dedicated transit lane wrecked traffic coming from the 110 North. I live 20 miles away, and my last game I left at 4:30 and didn't get in until the second inning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The one notable change between this year and last as far as PNC park is concerned is that there's now a free metro between Downtown and the Northside if you're too lazy and/or drunk to walk. It's definitely advisable to park downtown, it's 5 bucks at any of the garages and traffic's a lot lighter.

• Locked thread