Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Want to take family to PNC this summer. 5 people including a 7 year old who will need to get up and move around and a 80 year old who has a hard time walking. Where in general would be a good place to sit.

And where is the best place to buy tickets. Stubhub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Try reading the OP and maybe you'll find an answer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those specific questions don't appear to be answered.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

euphronius posted:

Want to take family to PNC this summer. 5 people including a 7 year old who will need to get up and move around and a 80 year old who has a hard time walking. Where in general would be a good place to sit.

Anywhere on the first level, which is basically ground level, that's not the bleachers. Last time I was there (which was several years ago), you used to be able to buy tickets way cheaper from scalpers on the bridge, but that's probably changed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My mother in law is so nervous I don't think I could drive to Pittsburgh with her worrying about relying on scalpers.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

euphronius posted:

Just go through the team. They'll be able to help with any special needs. It's not like the Pirates are sold out or super expensive.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

davecrazy posted:

Just go through the team. They'll be able to help with any special needs. It's not like the Pirates are sold out or super expensive.

Yeah they have special rows for people with wheelchairs. Call the PIrates box office.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

m5ind posted:

Progressive Field
If you're driving, Tower City parking is the best spot to park, IMO. I'd suggest getting tickets from Stubhub, as depending on the visiting team you can get bleacher seats in the outfield for single digits, and you can get 10 rows behind home plate for 35/each if you're lucky.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Red posted:

You're right! The chain has great milkshakes - does the stand at Camden Yards have them?

Also, Camden Yards has Stuggy's, a fantastic hot dog joint that does amazing fries, too.

Haha, the girl who runs Stuggy's doesn't let me eat there unless theyre dead. I've only ever had the crab macaroni hotdog and that was good.

I don't think they have milkshakes or at least I haven't noticed. I run a section of the stadium and haven't had that section yet. Last home stand was Eutaw Street, 14-15 places except that area. Stuggy's and Gino's are cool but the rooftop bar is what deserves mentioning.

For people at other ballparks, how much are nonprofit groups a part of the concession staff? At Camden Yards it's probably 50% of the staff.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I've never heard of any nonprofit businesses operating at Target Field.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GreenCard78 posted:

Haha, the girl who runs Stuggy's doesn't let me eat there unless theyre dead. I've only ever had the crab macaroni hotdog and that was good.

I don't think they have milkshakes or at least I haven't noticed. I run a section of the stadium and haven't had that section yet. Last home stand was Eutaw Street, 14-15 places except that area. Stuggy's and Gino's are cool but the rooftop bar is what deserves mentioning.

For people at other ballparks, how much are nonprofit groups a part of the concession staff? At Camden Yards it's probably 50% of the staff.

Camden Yards was always pretty good with concessions (and things in general), but they're really stepped it up in the last year or so. Even Dempsey's has become a great in-park feature - there are several beers they brew, each with a carved Dempsey caricature head on each tap. That rooftop bar you mention is neat, too - I just haven't had a chance to visit, because it's always packed.

I haven't seen them carrying DuClaw beer on recent trips, which is a shame. They used to carry some great stuff.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

GreenCard78 posted:

Non-profit groups are the majority of the staff at the food kiosks and stands around Comerica.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

bradzilla posted:

It's probably 3/4 of the concession stand staff, and they have a local underprivileged gardening effort for some Sundays games.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Red posted:

I haven't seen them carrying DuClaw beer on recent trips, which is a shame. They used to carry some great stuff.

I didn't know they used to have DuClaw. I'll ask what happened to it because DuClaw is pretty good, I'm surprised it wouldn't still be around.

cbx posted:

Non-profit groups are the majority of the staff at the food kiosks and stands around Comerica.

From my understanding, talking to the guys who also work at M&T, FedEx, Nationals, etc that it depends on how strong the local union at each stadium. The weaker the union, which most are because it's seasonal work, the more nonprofits there are. Nationals stadium, for example, has very few. They all take some building up because some nonprofits work nonstop while others only do the minimum number of games. Management loves them because they tend to be thought of as better employees, at least in my experience.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Geoff Peterson posted:

It's probably 3/4 of the concession stand staff, and they have a local underprivileged gardening effort for some Sundays games.

My guess is more teams have non-profits working concessions than don't. It's just not really publicized. I know the Vikings do it as well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GreenCard78 posted:

I didn't know they used to have DuClaw. I'll ask what happened to it because DuClaw is pretty good, I'm surprised it wouldn't still be around.

Yeah. They kind of faded away at Camden Yards as Flying Dog became more popular.

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique

bradzilla posted:

When you go to a concession stand at Target Field, look at the wall on the left side of the concession area. They usually display which nonprofit org a portion of the proceeds go to.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

unsanitary posted:

When you go to a concession stand at Target Field, look at the wall on the left side of the concession area. They usually display which nonprofit org a portion of the proceeds go to.

I will look for that. It's just a thing I would never think of because as mentioned it's not publicized for some reason.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

cbx posted:

Alright. When the Tigers return to Comerica on the 4th of June, I'll make a mention of it. I'll come back a few days later with specific suggestions (whatever you've got in mind) as a follow-up.

Whatever happened to the bat history because gently caress Juan.

By the way you can put on the bat history that Kwame thought that the center field ivy looked like weed with center being 420' and all, and if he had that much weed he'd be a millionaire for life. I was in the suite next to his and the walls are pretty thin.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 10, 2013

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Uncle Jam posted:

By the way you can put on the bat history that Kwame thought that the center field ivy looked like weed with center being 420' and all, and if he had that much weed he'd be a millionaire for life. I was in the suite next to his and the walls are pretty thin.

2003 happened, apparently.

I'm actually designing what I hope the next bat is, beyond simple suggestions. I went to the games last weekend, took some pictures of the current bats so my design would match, and am writing it all up in the next couple days.

The current bats end with the Tigers moving out of Tiger Stadium, and signing Juan Gonzalez. Time to move forward.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, I've honestly been sick and haven't been doing too much at work lately, plus I've been waiting on AsInHowe's info.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

cbx posted:

Yeah, I've honestly been sick and haven't been doing too much at work lately, plus I've been waiting on AsInHowe's info.

I'm actually trying to have something designed, photos and everything. Decisions will be justified, I'll put it that way.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Spaceman Future! posted:

Also, before the game you should be going to Biker Jim's.

http://bikerjimsdogs.com/

If you don't want that in your mouth right now you are dead. The Elk, Rattlesnake or Duck dogs are the best, but the entire menu is god drat delicious.

:respek: Yes yes yes Elk jalapeno cheddar sausage with caramelized onions and cream cheese 4 lyfe.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I'm going to be in Seattle at the end of the month and plan on checking out Safeco (probably one of the games against the Pirates); since attendance is pretty low, do the ushers give a poo poo about people moving to down better sections?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Carlton Banks posted:

I'm going to be in Seattle at the end of the month and plan on checking out Safeco (probably one of the games against the Pirates); since attendance is pretty low, do the ushers give a poo poo about people moving to down better sections?

I've heard mixed reviews. Back in 2009 and so they were super strict about that kind of thing, but I remember reading on a now defunct Mariner blog that they had lightened up. If you do go down to the lower levels, they generally ask for your ticket in between at bats, so that's something to keep in mind.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009

Carlton Banks posted:

I went on Tuesday this week and had no issue moving to behind home plate. If you wait until the fifth inning you shouldn't have any issues. I've only been asked to show tickets once.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Mini trip report from Camden:

Went with a few friends to the June 11 game against the Angels. We sprung for the "picnic perch" area which was 4 seats around a table, ended up being about $170 for the table after fees (you must buy these as groups of 4 tickets, although there are regular seats in the same area, with the free concessions, around $35). Club level, left field (above the bullpens), only complaint about the view was you couldn't quite see the bottom of the LF foul pole from two of the seats. The kicker? All you can eat. It was just standard concessions (sodas, hot dogs, nachos, and about the 5th inning ice cream) but combined with the seats and the fact that you got a loving table to spread out around it was a great experience. Beers were $7 or $8 depending on what you got, for 16 oz. cans. There was a vendor that sold 24 oz. cans for $10 but they were closed for that game. Between innings (when looking for the big beer cans, actually) we wandered around the club level concourse (which is enclosed and air conditioned) and there were TVs everywhere, bars every 100 feet, and decent bathrooms. I'd give the experience a 9/10 overall, point taken off for the less ideal (but still excellent) view from the rear seats at the table, and the angle to the scoreboard was a bit steep. If we do this again I'm going to wrangle one of the seats on the railing and also try to get a table closer to the bullpen (5 tables per section, 4-5 sections overall, we were the 5th table over). The whole thing is under the upper deck awning as well, so if the weather is looking dicey (a 50/50 proposition in May/June) we'd be pretty protected from the rain.

My friend took this panorama leaning over the railing a bit.

Also a couple weeks before, for the second Nats game, I got a free ticket from a friend (whose friend had season tickets and couldn't go) sitting in the upper deck, right above the visiting dugout, second row. I think the face value on the tickets was $20, also really great seats. I've been to Camden Yards about 20 times, always sitting in a different place, and I've never had a bad seat. The LF upper deck, if you're sitting more than halfway up, probably has the least good views, but all that's really obscured is the left field foul pole and a less than ideal angle to the scoreboard.

Also of note, if you're coming from outside the city north or south, take the light rail. Most of the suburban stations have free parking, and plenty of it, and for $3.20 round trip (or $3.50 for a day pass that lets you ride buses as well - may be viable if you're coming from off the main line) it beats even the cheapest parking. Even coming from east or west you might be best off parking at a suburban stop and riding in. Plus if you're coming from out of town there's trains that go to Penn Station and BWI Airport. Baltimore isn't the best mass transit city but for the stadiums it's great. Just a tip: If you're leaving the game right around when it ends, either be willing to wait an extra 15 minutes for the second train (the first one almost always fills instantly) or walk to the stop opposite the direction you want to go - Convention Center for southbound trains, and Camden for northbound. If the Red Line ever gets going, that should help with getting in from the west of the city, but that's quite a few years away.

I'm also in early talks with getting a larger group together (in the 20+ person range) so I may be able to report on that experience soon as well.

----

I'd really like to check out PNC, to date my only baseball experiences have been at Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards. Is a day trip from Baltimore feasible?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Anyone mind doing one for Chase Field?

Evil_Penguin_v2
Apr 18, 2004
Ask me about my brother.
You do Progressive Field review and not a mention of Bertman ballpark mustard?

Hollerin
May 23, 2008
Nice Camden review! The table ticket package sounds interesting. Sounds like it would be perfect if you had that group of four people and are excluded from the one or two persons that are not sitting next to you.

In regards to a PNC Park day trip from Baltimore, it's manageable, but consider you'll be driving close to 9 hours in one day. It's an easy drive though. I used to live in DC and still regularly make the trip back and forth.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

I was walking along Eutaw Street before the gates opened while the Orioles were practicing and a home run* ball was hit out of the park and basically to my feet. The ball when I first noticed it was actually hitting the warehouse and bounced off of the wall to the ground. I tried to see who hit it but the practice uniforms don't have names. All I could see was the dude at bat was black so I'm telling myself it was Adam Jones.

loving awesome. :dance:

Roflex posted:

Mini trip report from Camden:

Funny thing, those tables always sell the least or at least look like they do. I'll take a look at where people are sitting and many of the tables are always empty unless close to home plate.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

GreenCard78 posted:

I was walking along Eutaw Street before the gates opened while the Orioles were practicing and a home run* ball was hit out of the park and basically to my feet. The ball when I first noticed it was actually hitting the warehouse and bounced off of the wall to the ground. I tried to see who hit it but the practice uniforms don't have names. All I could see was the dude at bat was black so I'm telling myself it was Adam Jones.

loving awesome. :dance:

Funny thing, those tables always sell the least or at least look like they do. I'll take a look at where people are sitting and many of the tables are always empty unless close to home plate.

The section we were in (288, the last one) seemed like it had a couple of regular groups from the way they were chatting with the usher (who was awesome, btw, they really do everything they can to make you feel welcome at Camden). But yeah most of the tables farther down were empty (although it's not like that game was a sellout either).

I'm gonna try to get some home plate area seats some time this year (if budget allows - but even then they're under $50 at the cheapest and that's box office price) and may also be hitting the AA Baysox for a game or two (they have home plate seats with food included for $15) so I might have some more trip reports before the year is out. Might bring a better camera than my decade-old dumbphone too...

e: Would a minor league trip report be kosher in this thread or should I shove it off to the MiLB thread if the trip happens?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm headed out to Rogers Centre for an ironic trip to see the Tigers outside of the US on July 4th. Any Tips or Tricks? If not I'll try to report back.

Also whats up with the names of Toronto's wards? Cabbagetown, Bloor Annex, The Christie Pits

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm headed out to Rogers Centre for an ironic trip to see the Tigers outside of the US on July 4th. Any Tips or Tricks? If not I'll try to report back.

Also whats up with the names of Toronto's wards? Cabbagetown, Bloor Annex, The Christie Pits

I uh see a few games a year , biggest tip or trick? don't drive just take the TTC to union then take the sky walk over , although there is construction at the farthest exist so you need to walk an extra 2 minutes maybe. Also i wouldn't call those Toronto wards but neighborhoods i guess, they are called that for historical reasons "Cabbagetown's name derives from the Irish immigrants who moved to the neighbourhood beginning in the late 1840s, said to have been so poor that they grew cabbage in their front yards".

Also food and beer is stupid expensive so I wouldn't buy any there just go out afterwards to one of the (many) nearby bars / restaurants.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Roflex posted:

btw, they really do everything they can to make you feel welcome at Camden

:3:

Minor league ball parks are cool. I haven't been to one since the Keys a million years ago but you can get an awesome experience seeing the future stars play.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Uncle Jam posted:

Cabbagetown: a bunch of poors grew cabbage there a while ago or something, now it's a very nice neighbourhood and probably doesn't smell like cabbage

The Annex: used to be a separate town from Toronto, got annexed by the city at some point, cool sounding name

Christie Pits (why "The Christie Pits"?): it's a park named after some sand pits that were named after a dude called Christie. Lots of Brazilians and Portugueses live there now and there's a bunch of baseball fields, lots of good Brazilian barbecue in the area, a++

Do neighbourhoods in Detroit not have names like this?

edit: There's a place in Detroit called Poletown, named so because there were a lot of Polish immigrants, now that is just crazy.

edit: what the hell is a Hamtramck?

edit: Also it's very easy to get to the Rogers Centre from public transit or walking so don't drive there or anything, just take the subway to Union Station and walk through the corridor thingy, or figure out the streetcar routes that get there now (the Spadina streetcar used to go right down close to the stadium but the route is temporarily cut short due to bridge construction). Beer is like 8 bucks a pop for a tallboy, everything else is also expensive, so eat and drink somewhere else beforehand for slightly less but still very expensive to Americans money.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 4, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think beer has been 8 bucks at the Skydome for like 5 years.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Joe Don Baker posted:

PNC Park, Pittsburgh, PA
Home of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Come to PNC and watch a young, exciting, frustrating, and heart-breaking team.

Adding to this:

Parking:

Parking in the lots and garage right around the stadium is 12$. You can park in the Carnegie Science Center for 10$. Parking at the Rivers Casino is free for the vast majority of games, though with the success this year, bigger games (weekends especially) they charge 20$, but if you play for a certain amount of time you'll get reimbursed. The casino is about 1.1 miles from the stadium, so I would recommend against it when you have to pay, though there are always a fleet of pedicabs out front on game days.

All that said...Park downtown and walk to the stadium. Like Joe Don Baker said in his original post, downtown garages are cheap. Pittsburgh Parking Authority garages will cost you 5$ to park as long as you enter after 4PM on a weekday, or anytime on a weekend. The city closes the Roberto Clemente Bridge to vehicles a couple hours before game time, so you get to walk across this...

The T goes right to the stadium, and it's free from Downtown to the park. Service is spotty late at night (two trains or so every half hour), and when 3000 people are standing waiting for a train...annoying.

Concessions:

JDB covered this pretty well. Unopened bottles of water along with food that can fit in a small soft sided cooler are allowed in.

Beers range from 7.75$ to 10$ for domestic stuff. I think there are a couple specialty stands with imports and the like, but I don't know how much those are because 10$ 24oz cans of Budweiser are my PNC Park staple.

Special shoutout to the Rivertowne Brewing Hall of Fame Club, where beers are 2.50$ when the game is over. Great place to kill half an hour after a game that you'd spend sitting in your car trying to get out of one of the lots. Or drink a ton more if it's a day game and/or you have a DD.

The cream of the crop seats are in the Lexus Club, which is where rich assholes trying to schmooze clients sit and not pay attention to the game. Or people like me who love baseball and don't mind dropping ~150$ on a seat once in a while.

A tiny section of ~400 seats, you get your own fancy entrance and everything. Run by an entirely different concession company than Aramark, the cost of your ticket includes everything but alcohol and cotton candy. There's a pretty good (by ballpark food standards) buffet dinner before the game, and when you're in the seats your section will have a waitress that will facilitate anything you could want brought right to you. Hot dogs, nachos, pretzels, et cetera, et cetera, all gratis. I've sat in Lexus Club twice this season, and have gone home with a stomach ache both times. The view ain't half bad either:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Roflex posted:

e: Would a minor league trip report be kosher in this thread or should I shove it off to the MiLB thread if the trip happens?

Seconded here, I'd like to do one for my local AA affiliate. Where should that go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Make a new minor league thread for nothing but MiLB trip reports and triple slash lines of your favorite prospects.

• Locked thread