Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yankee Stadium III
Bronx, NY

Getting There

Do not even think of driving your car unless you are a crazy person and like traffic and $40 parking charges. Three subway lines go there - take one. It's about a 30 minutes ride from midtown.

Getting In

The cheap tickets are regularly sold out from the official site, but you can get into many games for quite cheap these days. I have gone to midweek games for $5 off StubHub. I haven't used the TicketExchange thing that's new this year but I suspect it's similar.

When you get off the train, don't be a fool and get in the first line you see. Keep walking around the stadium until you get to a short line. You can only bring in small bags. Sealed bottles and food are allowed in, a whole bunch of stuff is not for exceedingly stupid reasons. If your bag is too big or you have an evil no good laptop, you'll have to check at for a ludicrous fee at Stan's across the street.

If you didn't bring a water bottle to fill up inside the stadium, buy one for $1 from the dudes with coolers.

Monument Park is cool, but you have to get to the park basically when gates open to have a chance of getting in.

Seating

Unless you are a very wealthy person or know someone who is, you'll probably be sitting on the 300/400 level. Do NOT spend money on Terrace seats. This is the front portion of the upper deck and is not worth the spike in cost over the Grandstand. Rows 8 and higher in the grandstand are under the upper deck overhang for weather protection. I usually aim for sections 417-421, near home plate in the Grandstand, but all the seats are pretty good.

Concessions

Largely awful. The big ticket item is the steak sandwich, which retails for a cool $16. Welcome to New York. The hot dogs are mediocre, the garlic fries are alright. The barbecue sandwich is dry and tasteless. Beers range from $8-12. Really, just bring your own food and you'll be a lot happier.

During The Game

The Yankees wrote their script for in-game entertainment about 20 years ago and basically haven't changed it since then. Expect zany entertainment like "Who's that Baby Bomber," people doing a jigsaw puzzle for some reason, trivia, and the GREAT NEW YORK SUBWAY RACE!!! The grounds crew does the YMCA , and you'll be obliged to stand for God Bless America in the 7th.

Conclusion

Yankee Stadium III is a fine ballpark, not an exceptional one. It's a good place to see a game, and you can get in for much less than advertised. Unfortunately you still have to watch Jayson Nix when you're there but that's another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, if you cross the plaza from the 7 train you won't see anything except parking lots.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Northjayhawk posted:

Kauffman Stadium, Kansas City, home of the Royals

Great writeup but as a New Yorker I am laughing so hard at you complaining about $10 parking not being cheap. Also that you are complaining about $40 for lower level seats being pricey.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Because kids get bored.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

If your team has a mascot it's straight trash, sorry if offensive.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

He coincided with a time when the Yankees were indeed straight trash.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

davecrazy posted:

Thank god you got to watch the game in a minority free environment! That must of been so pleasant for you!

I think you are missing the point.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Attention :siren: Dodgers :siren: fans!

I'm visiting my parents in Santa Barbara and we might be able to go to Wednesday's 1:00 playoff game in LA. Assuming we can get tickets, which transportation option makes the most sense?

-Drive (Google Maps says 1 hour 40 minutes but I assume LA traffic adds some sort of force multiplier)

-Take the Pacific Surfliner train which would get to Union Station at 12:15 and take the Dodger Stadium Express bus. Yelp reviews seem to either think it's the best thing ever or the slowest. Would this give us enough time?

Please help!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Thanks friends. Maybe we'll just bite the bullet, take the super early train, and get to Union Station at 9:35. Is killing 2 hours in that area a reasonable proposition?

EDIT: Looks like the next returning train wouldn't leave til 7 so we'd have some time to kill postgame anyway.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Having barely been to LA before I picture a neverending sea of parking lots of traffic jams, thank you for enlightening me.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

bawfuls posted:

Maybe wait until the Dodgers force a game 5 before you commit though :smith:

:toot:

We're on the train that arrives at Union Station at 12:15, hopefully all will run smoothly.

Thanks for the food suggestions everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Trip report: Dodger Stadium

The train from Santa Barbara worked perfectly. We got to the station around 12, got on the bus, and were in our seats by 12:50. In case it wasn't noted earlier, if you take the bus and are sitting in the upper deck, get ready to hike up a shitload of stairs. It would have been faster, but the cops didn't feel like enforcing the alleged bus lane.

My dad and I were wearing Cardinals gear and got razzed the entire game (especially when the Dodgers started smacking dingers), but everyone was nice except for one douchebag who told us to go gently caress ourselves.

Getting back: OH DEAR GOD. As we sat in the bus trying to get out of the parking lot, I cursed LA for not having a Metro stop at the ballpark. The game ended around 4:15. The stadium is about 3 miles from the train station. We didn't get back to the station until 6.

Overall, I had a great time, outcome aside. We were even in the shade! Just be prepared for parking lot hell.

• Locked thread