Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«12 »
axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

As some of you may know, last year there was a complication of short found footage movies called V/H/S that I liked a great deal. Luckily for me (and for you) found footage movies can be made really quickly so this year we are getting V/H/S 2 (which previously had the much better title: S-VHS). It's coming out in June, but I've already seen it.

In general this is a very different film than the first. The first one had themes that tied all the segments together and the first one used it's (still very graphic) violence and nudity with a controlled hand that made sure it was an extension of the story. Not so much here. This one is just God damned crazy. I've rarely seen a horror film take things to this much a crazy, hosed up violent place. This is an experience. I've rarely had this intense of a time at a horror film. It just keeps building and building and building. It's a movie that seems to be throwing everything it can think of at you, and because the segments are so short, they do it in not alot of time. I think I like this about as much as the original, but for very different reasons.

The segments this time are as follows (summaries are gonna be pretty vague but I'm spoilering them anyways).

Clinical Trials directed by Adam Wingard (the wrap around segment from V/H/S):
A guy gets an experimental prosthetic eye after an accident (that has a camera the doctors are recording off of for data purposes). Soon he starts seeing things that may or may not be there. For those that were mad about the Skype on a VHS tape in the previous film, you're gonna be seething the feed from an eye camera on a VHS in this one!

This is the worst of the segments and the worst segment in the series so far. It's still not bad but it's a little too silly for my tastes, the scares are a little by the book and and it has what is one of the most gratuitous nude scenes I've seen in a long time. The camera work, due to it's unique nature is pretty amazing though and I like that there's a layer to the story here that is never fully spelled out.

A Ride in The Park directed by Eduardo Sánchez and Gregg Hale (The Blair Witch Project):
A biker goes for a ride in the woods, recording on his helmet cam. There he is attacked and killed by zombies. He eventually rises as a zombie himself and the camera just keeps on recording.

The movie [REC]3 opens with a found footage motif and I thought that one of the things they were going to do is what this short does. Of course that didn't happen in [REC]3 and seeing it actually play out here makes me hate [REC]3 even more. This is how you do a unique take on a Zombie movie. Following them around, see them interact and massacre people is kind of incredible. This segment is more funny than it is scary but it's just so well done and approaches it from about every angle I think they could. It is also really god damned violent. This is the part where if you can't stand extremely graphic and painful looking violence, you'll probably give up on this movie. I guess, to an extent, it's still all just part of the story but man is it ever violent. Not as bad as the next segment though...

Safe Haven directed by Gareth Huw Evans (The Raid) and Timo Tjahjanto:

A TV crew do a story on a cult. Things do not go well.

This one was just so god damned crazy and so god damned violent that it's hard to even explain. It actually starts out very slow, building the dread and atmosphere but eventually it starts to all go wrong and it just gets crazier and crazier and crazier and once you think it can't get any crazier it not only gets crazier, it gets WAY crazier. Jesus Christ, I'm still having trouble even knowing what to say about this one. You just gotta see it. Be warned though, this is somehow more violent than the last one.

Slumber Party Alien Abduction directed by Jason Eisener (Hobo with a Shotgun):

Pretty much what the title says. Some kids are having a sleepover. Aliens show up. Method of recording is a camera tied to a dog.

After the massive amount of violence in the last two, this one is pretty mild (though still has some violence), but don't' think you can relax! What it lacks in gore it makes up for in atmosphere and intensity. If you need any reason to see this in theaters over on demand, this segment is it. The sound design is outstanding and do alot to make the threat seem more overwhelming and otherworldly. This is probably the scariest of the segments and deals in a genre of horror that doesn't get that much love.

Like in the last one there is also a wrap around segment and also in the last one it's not that important. It's better than the one in the last one and far less time is devoted to it but it's not really worth getting into. It's not bad, but it's not why you'll love this movie.

Much like the last film, V/H/S 2 really does it's best to push the found footage genre. The films all still manage to do things that I haven't seen done very much before, if at all. The worst of the segments is still extremely interesting. None of them are anything like each other or like anything in the first film or anything at all really.

Honestly alot of the things I said in the last thread about the first film can be said here. Like the first film you never question why anyone is filming. Like the first film is takes established tropes and play with them. Like the first film the technical artistry is far above the standard for the genre. It really takes alot of why I loved the first film and makes a completely different movie.

The major difference are what I mentioned. The segment just don't really go together as well as the bunch in the first one. While the first one had themes that united the shorts, I'm struggling to see any here. Overall the first one just feels alot smaller and more intimate now. This is a big, intense exhausting move. The first one had a bit of subtlety to it and that's not really here, but that's also okay. There's nothing wrong with going all out. Most full length movies don't give you the amount of pay off these individual segments give you.

Also, from what I'm seeing, people are liking this one more and that's probably because it a much more fun film. The original was kind of an exercise in creepy voyeurism and bad feelings. This one is just crazy. Even if you're one of those awful people that hated the original, give this one a shot.

The movie will be available on demand on June 6th but if your patient I suggest you wait until July 12th and see it in theaters.

Here's a short teaser trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjh-v9Sj-8E

And here's a better teaser that has no footage of the actual movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb2WfQcSM3Y

axleblaze fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2013 around 20:38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007
MAN I LOVE WATCHING PEOPLE GET PARALYZED

How wide is the release? I'm nuts for the first one and everything you've said about the sequel is insanely appealing. Also since there are only four segments this time, are they longer?

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

You have my permission to
STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

I can't loving wait for this, but I'm not reading any of those synopses so I can go in blind. That's what I did with the first one and I think I enjoyed it even more because of it.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

Magic Hate Ball posted:

How wide is the release? I'm nuts for the first one and everything you've said about the sequel is insanely appealing. Also since there are only four segments this time, are they longer?

I have no idea how wide it's gonna be. It's Magnet again so I can't imagine it's going to be much wider than the last one, but I'll keep you posted.

Any yeah, the segments are longer. Safe Haven in particular is pretty long.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

I know it's being released nearish me, but is there any way to find out which theaters exactly? Magnet Releasing usually has an advanced schedule but there site is kinda out of date now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Looks like I'm going to see this on Sunday.

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001

I saw this at SXSW. The overarching story only kind of worked but the shorts were all good to great. Safe Haven in particular was absolutely,shockingly brilliant. I'd recommend avoiding reviews or trailers and going in blind. It was a blast and I'll echo what axleblaze said... its an experience. So yeah, go see this in a packed theater on a first date.

In regards to length, I read that it was shorter than VHS, which I didn't see and from what I read don't think I would have enjoyed. I found VHS2 to be the perfect length. Any longer would have been too exhausting.

Edit: axleblaze - you might want to spoiler that image from Safe Haven.

JibbaJabbaJimmy fucked around with this message at Apr 20, 2013 around 05:25

Krazyface
Jul 15, 2011

THERE'S NO SUPERMAN HERE! AND THERE NEVER WAS, OKAY?

Just to be clear: are there only 4 shorts in this one? (excluding the wrap-around)

JibbaJabbaJimmy
May 21, 2001

Correct. There are four shorts in VHS2.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Aw, son of a bitch!

Looks like I'm finally going to get around to watching the first V/H/S tonight, I've had the Blu-Ray for a while but was waiting for a nice, quiet, dark night to watch it.

Mr. Boogie
Mar 31, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Justin Godscock posted:

Looks like I'm finally going to get around to watching the first V/H/S tonight, I've had the Blu-Ray for a while but was waiting for a nice, quiet, dark night to watch it.

I'd highly recommend watching it with headphones, if your TV lets you do that sort of thing.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Didn't care for most of the first one but I'll be sure to check this out for Gareth Evans' segment alone. After Merantau and The Raid he's firmly established on my "I'll watch anything this guy directs" list.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

They revealed the poster. I like it

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

How does the violence in this compare to something like Evil Dead?

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

AccountSupervisor posted:

How does the violence in this compare to something like Evil Dead?

It's hard to say really. Evil Dead had some horrific looking stuff, to me at least, didn't really have any weight behind it. Like for whatever reason Evil Dead didn't make me cringe all that much. V/H/S 2 doesn't get quite as horrific but it made me cringe quite a bit.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Aw, son of a bitch!

I have to say, V/H/S was a pretty good horror romp. As far as found footage movies go it wasn't a milestone in the genre but it was a fun time and would recommend it for people looking for good, recent horror. Best segment I thought was the one where the girl leads her 3 friends into the woods to get back at a feedback-loop (I have no idea what to call it) killer because, drat were the effects good and the deaths were pretty cringe-worthy.

I'll watch the sequel, for sure, especially if it's just going to be plain mindless ultra-violence.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

"DANCE. Like it's nobody's business."

Also, you suck dicks or something

Those people who saw it, how clever are they using found footage concept?

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

schwenz posted:

Those people who saw it, how clever are they using found footage concept?

They all use it in pretty clever ways with the exception of one, which is arguably the best segment so whatever. (minor spoilers ahead)

Clinical Trials use an eye camera and does all the things that would entail. It's almost Enter the Void-esque in how it's trying ot replicate actually seeing through an eye.

A Ride in The Park is just a helmet cam but by attaching it to a zombie, it does some interesting things with it. It also tends to switch to other camera sources so we can see the action from new perspectives.

Safe Haven is the least interesting concept wise. It's just a film crew and it's mostly their footage and security cams on the compound. Still, it uses it really well.

Slumber Party Alien Abduction starts out with it just being kids loving around witha camcorder and it's use reflects that. Right before the action goes down it gets attached to a dog and that's where it stays. They manage to do some really interesting things with this idea and the dog stays with the action just because it's owners are trying to keep it safe.

Lasher
Aug 13, 2003

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO CONTROLLER?

Did people really complain about the Skype calls being on a VHS tape? All of the footage was recorded on different formats wasn't it? Plus it's a horror story, I saw it like Clive Barker's Books Of Blood. A collection of stories of how people died under strange circumstances collected together as a macabre compilation. The how and why just adds to the mystery and intrigue.

I did love the first films even though Honeymoon night was a bit slow for my tastes. Can't wait to see this. Especially the cult one.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lasher posted:

Did people really complain about the Skype calls being on a VHS tape? All of the footage was recorded on different formats wasn't it? Plus it's a horror story, I saw it like Clive Barker's Books Of Blood. A collection of stories of how people died under strange circumstances collected together as a macabre compilation. The how and why just adds to the mystery and intrigue.

I did love the first films even though Honeymoon night was a bit slow for my tastes. Can't wait to see this. Especially the cult one.

I know I didn't really complain about it per say but it did take me out of the movie for a second going, "Wait who the gently caress transfers this to VHS?" That might have just been because it was one of my least favorite segments and my mind was wandering though. I didn't think these things during the first or last where it's equally wonky.

zVxTeflon
Jul 18, 2004

"The apocalyptic scenario in Beverly Hills Chihuahua is what happens if AirBud goes too far"

I really only liked 2 of the segments from the first movie. The vacation couple and the Woods one. This one sounds a bit more interesting and hopefully they cut way down of the Dude Bro Yeah poo poo. God that first segment in V/H/S was bad and I prayed for their death 10 seconds into it.

axleblaze posted:

and it has what is one of the most gratuitous nude scenes I've seen in a long time.

Thats saying a lot considering the first movie.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

I really only liked 2 of the segments from the first movie. The vacation couple and the Woods one. This one sounds a bit more interesting and hopefully they cut way down of the Dude Bro Yeah poo poo. God that first segment in V/H/S was bad and I prayed for their death 10 seconds into it.

That was sort of the point.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

zVxTeflon posted:

Thats saying a lot considering the first movie.

I went over this alot in the previous thread, but I felt all the nudity in the first one was fully justified by the plot. In this one there is a sex scene that just happens out of pretty much no where. It also opens with a pretty gratuitous nude scene though I almost felt the purpose of that was to serve as a transition moment between the voyeurism themes of the first one and what's going on in this one.

Rita Repulsa
Nov 10, 2008

Just netflixed the first one. It was alright. I am, however, really looking forward to the sequel because the plots for those last two skits sound loving amazing.

Does this sequel still have the videos have glitches whenever something bad is happening just for the sake of having Scary Glitches?

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Does this sequel still have the videos have glitches whenever something bad is happening just for the sake of having Scary Glitches?

The first one has a bunch of glitching but it's also part of the plot. Don't remember for sure about the rest but I don't believe so.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Just got back from seeing this, and holy poo poo, this was fun. I liked it a lot better than the first, simply because it does away with it's running theme of "lovely male characters you want to punch in the face" and the last two segments are better than any of the segments in one, even the haunted house one, which I love.

I will say the use of humor in this one is amazing. It allows the audience to be drawn in a bit more than just "spooky poo poo" from frame one. Jason Eisner's film is probably the best use of it. The first few minutes are hilarious, and then when poo poo hits the fan, you stop laughing and start caring.

Garth Evans (The Raid) walks out with the best segment simply for the sheer insanity that he brings. It's the longest, and it takes it's time to get started, but when things go bad, they go BAD, and you just have to strap in and go along for the ride.

This was a fun time at the movies. I am so glad I got to see this one in theaters.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

axleblaze posted:

The movie will be available on demand on June 6th but if your patient I suggest you wait until July 12th and see it in theaters.

Or do.. both! Although which way gives these people more of my money so they can live and eat and make more movies.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

Saw this at a film festival a few weeks ago. The third short is one of the craziest bits in a horror movie I've seen in a long time.

As a whole, this just seems a lot more cohesive than the first movie.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

New Trailer red band trailer . Be warned, contains some spoilers.

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

As a whole, this just seems a lot more cohesive than the first movie.

I thought the first was pretty meaningfully cohesive with how neatly the content of the shorts lined up with each other. Do you mean the framing device is better used this time around, or...?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 3, 2011

axleblaze posted:

New Trailer red band trailer . Be warned, contains some spoilers.

That shot of the guys shooting themselves.

I need this movie.

JebanyPedal
Feb 17, 2011

Pan American nightmare
Ten thousand feet fun-fair
Convinced that I don't care
It's safe as houses I swear
I was just sitting musing
The virtues of cruising
When altitude dropping
My ears started popping
One more red nightmare

There were only two segments in the original film that were even half-way decent (the vacation with the husband and wife, the one with the succubus) and all the others were clumsy, stupid, or irritating to watch. Pull in the overall narrative that attempted to loosely tie it together (and I know that was its sole purpose before anyone tries to lecture me), and in general it was a tapestry of mediocrity.
I have not much faith for this one either, even if this one is more based on a horror of excess rather than the brooding dread of the original shorts.
Horror doesn't work if there isn't some pathology to it, what was bad about the original V/H/S was for the most part, (except for ones I mentioned) they were superficial and dull. Good horror needs at least a comprehensive theme to tie it together, and that theme can't come off as a gimmick, which nearly all the pieces in the original did. It was as though the director wanted to scare you, instead of showing you something that was frightening. They were all budding directors, but that's exactly why the film was such a mess, it was very amateurish, and they hadn't yet figured out that horror is significantly a work that is all about defying expectations in scene beats, generating tension through natural events rather than tightening the string in a scene through obvious superficial cues, and most importantly, letting the story itself inspire terror instead of your interpretation of how to tell it. Look at The Shining, it's intrinsically terrifying, Kubrick knew how to frame the story and the psychology of it, and then he let it do its work, this is in stark contrast to lots of slasher films, like the countless Halloween or Friday the 13th knock-offs, where the film obsesses with its horror instead of letting it unravel from the framework of a scene, constant voyeurism that doesn't say anything about the voyeurism beyond the fact that looking is scary, and there's not much to be afraid of when it comes to a bland statement that says nothing.

That was, overall, the issue I had with the original V/H/S and why I couldn't enjoy it, even the simplest of the simple great horror films (genre classics like Nosferatu or Bride of Frankenstein), knew that the stories and the people within them were terrifying, but rather than letting the actors do the appropriate work, and just framing it right, they went all out and tossed in every drat thing the could to eke out scares.
That's the issue with the found-footage genre, it doesn't use its intimacy in any way other than a cheap gimmick for putting the action in a closer, more unavoidable context. It wants you to think that things are more real, more terrifying in the wisp of an idea that they could be true, rather than actually trying to make things scary through any sort of talent.

With brilliant films like [REC], Troll Hunter, Man Bites Dog, and even The Blair Witch Project showing us how the genre is done right, watching poo poo like this seems more like a waste of time than anything else.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BUDDHA'S A BRO
296 Fuckups and Counting!

WickedIcon posted:

That shot of the guys shooting themselves.

I need this movie.

That kind of shot basically convinced me that I might have to buy a bluray for this film. VHS1 was okay, and I'd probably buy a bluray of it if it was five bucks, but man I am excited for this one.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

Must...resist urge to start thoroughly defending the original V/H/S again.

I will just say it's always weird to me to see people bring up Troll Hunter as good found footage. It's not awful, but it really misuses the genre. It's a movie that just is a found footage movie when it feels like it. The editing doesn't always make sense and the shots are often very bland and a little too uniform in the name of accommodating the crappy effects. Found footage is in great part about putting the audience there and Troll Hunter utterly fails to do that. It's a movie that's far more concerned with being silly than it is with creating tension and as a result the whole thing comes off as a little flat. There are some good gags but it's just not enough to carry the whole movie and beyond that there's just nothing else there.

I know it's off topic but I just staggers me how often it get brought up as one of the good found footage films.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Must...resist urge to start thoroughly defending the original V/H/S again.

I will just say it's always weird to me to see people bring up Troll Hunter as good found footage. It's not awful, but it really misuses the genre. It's a movie that just is a found footage movie when it feels like it. The editing doesn't always make sense and the shots are often very bland and a little too uniform in the name of accommodating the crappy effects. Found footage is in great part about putting the audience there and Troll Hunter utterly fails to do that. It's a movie that's far more concerned with being silly than it is with creating tension and as a result the whole thing comes off as a little flat. There are some good gags but it's just not enough to carry the whole movie and beyond that there's just nothing else there.

I know it's off topic but I just staggers me how often it get brought up as one of the good found footage films.

Yeah, blaze is pretty spot on right here. Also, even if you didn't like V/H/S, it boggles my mind that its not at least respected for trying to innovate the genre. There are more original ideas in one segment of V/H/S than most new found footage movies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Troll Hunter really isn't a horror movie, and evaluating it as a horror movie is going to be like reviewing the weapons selection and enemy AI of a LucasArts adventure game.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

I
AM
YOUR
GRANDMA

Pope Guilty posted:

Troll Hunter really isn't a horror movie, and evaluating it as a horror movie is going to be like reviewing the weapons selection and enemy AI of a LucasArts adventure game.

I'm not saying it's a horror movie. I'm just saying it doesn't make good use of the the found footage genre at all.

I did say it fails at creating tension but that's not really a horror thing. A comedy can overcome needing to tell an interesting story by being funny enough, but I also didn't really think the humor in Troll Hunter managed to carry the movie.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

I find it funny that the Troll Hunter got such a large audience outside of Norway since 90% of the humour is exclusivly norwegian. Like three of our country's most famous comedians all have roles in that film and the jokes are all centered around their personas. Which is just one of the things that makes the found-footage aspects of the film completely pointless.

Frankly, I would call Troll Hunter more of a gimmicky film than V/H/S, since the latter actually did something with it's main conceit instead of turning everything into bland farce.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I think the general consensus has turned on Troll Hunter. Some of the jokes hit and the Troll effects are good but other than that, it's pretty bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ella ella

Troll Hunter rules. Most of the complaints I've seen seem to be from people who inexplicably fail to realise that it's a parody of found-footage horror movies. I'll take it over the ridiculous deadly seriousness of Cloverfield any day.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at May 17, 2013 around 00:23

«12 »