Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kilonum posted:

it was actually 8 days after the bombings (the 23rd of April)

he had committed suicide before the bombing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Please tell me they could prove he was dead before the bombing.

No one had any idea where he was before the bombing. He was still missing at the time.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

he had committed suicide before the bombing though.

Yes, but we only know this based on how decomposed his body was when it was found, several days after the bombing. At the time of the bombing, no one knew that he had committed suicide, or what had happened to him.

That said, the people accusing him of being the bomber were really dumb.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I remember the night of the shootout (before it happened) someone mentioning that the Sunil guy was like 6'2" or something where our bomber guys were both put at like 5'7" by the FBI from their pics at the press conf earlier that day. Am I remembering that right?

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Wagonburner posted:

I remember the night of the shootout (before it happened) someone mentioning that the Sunil guy was like 6'2" or something where our bomber guys were both put at like 5'7" by the FBI from their pics at the press conf earlier that day. Am I remembering that right?

I don't think the feds gave a height but I think I recall people saying Sunil was too tall to be the bomber based on that pic that surfaced online of Dzhokhar strolling away afterwards, it was really hosed up when people were spamming the facebook page with accusations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jalopybrown posted:

I don't think the feds gave a height but I think I recall people saying Sunil was too tall to be the bomber based on that pic that surfaced online of Dzhokhar strolling away afterwards, it was really hosed up when people were spamming the facebook page with accusations.

No, what was really bad was when the cops started voicing those facebook accusations over the radio, even if to discern them, because then that poo poo went into overdrive.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Young Freud posted:

No, what was really bad was when the cops started voicing those facebook accusations over the radio, even if to discern them, because then that poo poo went into overdrive.

Was his name ever actually mentioned on the scanner though? I remember people saying he had been named but no one seemed to be a first hand source for it, whereas people did hear Mike Mulugeta.

Edit: While we're remembering this stuff anyone else recall when that cop started reading from that fake twitter? I thought Dzhokhar had hijacked the signal or something.

jalopybrown fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 26, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

jalopybrown posted:

Was his name ever actually mentioned on the scanner though?

Someone went through the scanners and didn't hear Sunil's name at all (I believe). What happened was you had a few people across the internet start saying they heard Sunil on the scanner and it just kind of snow balled from there, I got suckered into it even though I didn't hear it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hell, I was providing THE scanner feed and didn't hear it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yes it essentially went from one person claiming to have heard that name on the scanner to hundreds of people harassing the guy's family within in a couple hours. Maybe even less actually.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

jalopybrown posted:

Was his name ever actually mentioned on the scanner though? I remember people saying he had been named but no one seemed to be a first hand source for it, whereas people did hear Mike Mulugeta.

Edit: While we're remembering this stuff anyone else recall when that cop started reading from that fake twitter? I thought Dzhokhar had hijacked the signal or something.

Look at this thread from that night. I specifically asked, "Did they mention Sunil's name on the radio?" and some posters here said, "Yes, I heard it".

e.g. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544157&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=328#post414595160
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544157&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=327#post414595137
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544157&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=325#post414594976

Look, even a mod said he specifically heard Sunil's name:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544157&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=325#post414595000 posted:

Both were in succession. I and a ton of other people heard it.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 26, 2013

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

ashgromnies posted:

Look at this thread from that night. I specifically asked, "Did they mention Sunil's name on the radio?" and some posters here said, "Yes, I heard it".

OK I just checked the old thread and the first mention of Sunil on the scanner is Petey qouting from facebook but he says to take it with a grain of salt, at this point many streams seem to be dying but from pages 291 - 350 there are people claiming to have heard it, including moderator Deadpool (halfway down linked page of his posts), there are some people who say they never heard it and are sure it wasn't said but there definitely were some who believed they heard it.

Whats intresting to me about this though is my search also brought up a post in this thread from Earwicker

Earwicker posted:

ok apparently it's known who the very first person to tweet about it was: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/04/it-wasnt-sunil-tripathi-the-anatomy-of-a-misinformation-disaster/275155/ - however you'd still have to prove that he was intentionally trying to smear Tripathi's name

The Atlantic article says the first tweet is around 2:45, and Peteys facebook post is the first mention of the name on the scanner at 2:54. So I guess this is a case of mass hysteria or something.

^ e;f,b with the deadpool links

jalopybrown fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 26, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember hearing "Trepathi" and "Mulugeta" over a stream of the radio conversation in the ambulance while the older brother was being taken to the hospital. People were posting having heard the same right at that moment though, so maybe they influenced what I thought I heard.

It was right after that when people started posting poo poo from the Find Sunil facebook page and coming up with numerical codes that pointed to the marathon date and poo poo like that.

I don't remember which thread I was reading at that time, but there were three active that night before they were all consolidated into the marathon bombing one the next day. Make sure that you're looking at all three if you're trying to build a timeline.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

I remember hearing "Trepathi" and "Mulugeta" over a stream of the radio conversation in the ambulance while the older brother was being taken to the hospital. People were posting having heard the same right at that moment though, so maybe they influenced what I thought I heard.

It was right after that when people started posting poo poo from the Find Sunil facebook page and coming up with numerical codes that pointed to the marathon date and poo poo like that.

I don't remember which thread I was reading at that time, but there were three active that night before they were all consolidated into the marathon bombing one the next day. Make sure that you're looking at all three if you're trying to build a timeline.

Checked the Original GBS bombing thread, the 'This week ain't over: Shooting at MiT in Boston', Boston thread in LAN & the D&D bombing thread. Are there any others I've missed?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jalopybrown posted:

Checked the Original GBS bombing thread, the 'This week ain't over: Shooting at MiT in Boston', Boston thread in LAN & the D&D bombing thread. Are there any others I've missed?

The D&D thread and the other GBS one are the only other ones I remember.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Kilonum posted:

Hell, I was providing THE scanner feed and didn't hear it.

Was that your stream? Nice work! It was eerie when the commander had to tell the chopper pilots that their audio feed was being broadcast on the internet and to go quiet :P

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

pzy posted:

Was that your stream? Nice work! It was eerie when the commander had to tell the chopper pilots that their audio feed was being broadcast on the internet and to go quiet :P

The one on Ustream.

EDIT: I misread, thought you were asking which one.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Kilonum posted:

The one on Ustream.

EDIT: I misread, thought you were asking which one.

Dude, that had hundreds of thousands of concurrent unique listeners at one point. Nice job keeping it up!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

New indictments out, the two friends of Dzhokhar have been indicted on Obstruction of Justice charges:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/08/boston-bombing-suspects-friends-indicted-on-obstruction-charges/

quote:

BOSTON (CBS) – Two friends of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev have been indicted by a federal grand jury for allegedly hampering the investigation.

Read: The Indictment (.pdf)

Dias Kadyrbayev and Azamat Tazhayakov, both 19 and nationals of Kazakhstan, were charged Thursday with conspiracy to obstruct justice and obstructing justice with the intent to impede the Boston Marathon bombing investigation.

The indictment accuses the two men of going into Tsarnaev’s dormitory room at UMass-Dartmouth and removing several items, including Tsarnaev’s laptop computer and a backpack containing fireworks after seeing his photo on the news.

Kadyrbayev and Tazhayakov allegedly brought the items back to their apartment in New Bedford before disposing of them in a dumpster.

The two men could face up to 20 years in prison on the obstruction of justice count and up to five years in prison on the conspiracy count.

A third alleged conspirator, Robel Phillipos, was mentioned, but not by name in the indictment.

Earlier on Thursday, Phillipos agreed to waive a hearing, noting that his attorneys were engaged in negotiations with authorities for a possible resolution in the case.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I was skeptical of Sunil being the bomber up until the point that everyone on IRC started screeching that he got mentioned on the scanner, so I was confused as gently caress when people started talking about "the Chechens". Up until that point it sounded like some poor kid went way over his head, then it turned into a bad geopolitical thriller, and then it went back to some dumb kid going way over his head.

On the other hand, there were people talking about how Sunil's parents were in on it via some interpretations of some cryptic statements on the facebook page, but even then I thought that was the most idiotic garbage ever because of course things are going to sound weird when you don't have context. Sunil's family wasn't broadcasting every single bit of detail about their lives on facebook, of course they're going to be referring to non-web stuff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Phobophilia posted:

I was skeptical of Sunil being the bomber up until the point that everyone on IRC started screeching that he got mentioned on the scanner, so I was confused as gently caress when people started talking about "the Chechens". Up until that point it sounded like some poor kid went way over his head, then it turned into a bad geopolitical thriller, and then it went back to some dumb kid going way over his head.

Well there are some similarities actually to a good geopolitical thriller, A Most Wanted Man by John Le Carre, though in that one the Chechen kid who's in over his head is not as much of a dumbass as Dzhokhar.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm convinced that at some point someone from GBS is going to firebomb a banker's house and we won't know what to think :allears:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Phobophilia posted:

I'm convinced that at some point someone from GBS is going to firebomb a banker's house and we won't know what to think :allears:

It depends on whether the GBS libertarians or the marxists get to it first.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Looks like the guys who tried to dispose of the fireworks used to make the bombs along with Dzhokhar's laptop immediately following the bombing were finally arrested on Federal obstruction of justice charges today.

I feel pretty confident that the charges will be plea-bargained down to lesser ones though. I don't think it'll be hard to make a circumstantial case for them just being a couple of dumb scared kids who made a mistake out of some immature sense of bravado if the Federal prosecutor rejects any kind of plea bargain.

It won't get the same sense of outrage and level of controversy going that Jahar's trial is, in any case.

e: whoops, thought the laptop was in the bag of other poo poo they threw away, but it wasn't. They just kept that until the Feds knocked.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crump Rocknubs
Sep 14, 2007

Maybe grind on some shit.
Amateur video of the street during the blast has been making the rounds on social media since yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq_nJl56LSg

You can see Dzhokhar near the top of the frame starting at 1:13 and ending at 1:16, running with the crowd. He's near a lady in green who also appears near him in that street corner photo (the one all the conspiracists say was photoshopped). He's not wearing a backpack.

Crump Rocknubs fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 17, 2013

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
The top comments on that video. :suicide:

"Don't make fools out of yourselves," indeed.

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

Yeah the comments are pretty terrible. The "Free Jahar" poo poo can basically be summed up by "He looks too normal/cute to be guilty."

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

HackerJoeGuy posted:

Yeah the comments are pretty terrible. The "Free Jahar" poo poo can basically be summed up by "He looks too normal/cute to be guilty."

Do his fan girls still feel that way after seeing how he looked at his court appearance a few months back?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The comments don't seem like ~FREE JAHAR~ fangirls, they seem like InfoWars nutcases going on about "crisis actors" and that kind of poo poo. I guess there might be some overlap between the two..

Crump Rocknubs
Sep 14, 2007

Maybe grind on some shit.
There is a considerable overlap. The Jaharians don't evaluate their sources, so they're more than happy to signalboost anyone who agrees with them from a semi-official-looking website. I've seen them praise R. Paul, Infowars, Glenn Beck and a variety of shady Youtubers for seeking the real truth. They skim the more tinfoily conspiracy theory stuff and cherry pick any arguments that back up their "Jahar was framed" argument.

Getting to cite the Infowars people as proof that "we are NOT all teenage girls!" is a major bonus.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

bag squad
Sep 5, 2008

by T. Finninho

haha

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Plenty of people suffer far worse. Go gently caress yourselves, America.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Wow I feel terrible now.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

sunil did it

Adbot