Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
That 720-page thread was one of the greatest in SA history.

You won't be forgotten, 720-page thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Where's the stretcher pic?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

frajaq posted:

Christ I can't imagine what would've happen if LAPD was in charge of this

About eight to ten other people would have been shot and killed by friendly fire, both suspects would be at-large with no idea of their whereabouts.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Do you suppose the advent of social media has created an environment where people who pull off atrocities like this can't escape so readily?

It's not social media, but it is new technology. With everyone now capturing everything on digital film, the FBI could quickly find the bombers, spread the pictures, and get others looking for their men.

Once the photos got out, the brothers knew they were screwed.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Muck and Mire posted:

Also, did reddit's gung-ho team of crack internet crowdsourced detectives actually accomplish anything here, beyond falsely naming those two other guys?

Nope! :)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Where will the suspect be held for the next year, until his trial?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Update from Fenway: The Red Sox won their first home game since the attacks, 4-3 over Kansas City. The highlight of the actual game was left-fielder Daniel Nava's three-run HR in the bottom of the 8th gave Boston the lead. Very awesome game to watch this afternoon.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Does anyone have pictures of the happy police dog?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

beatlegs posted:

Oh, you're going to be seeing the words "muslim" "jihadist" "enemy combatant" being used by Republican politicans and conservative media nonstop over the next many weeks & months. They're going to do their best to foreignize him in their quest to have his constitutional rights taken away. The right really wants to see him tortured and treated like an animal, ironically because America.

The right wants to see a lot of people tortured and killed with no respect for their rights. There has been way too many people around me saying the most reprehensible things regarding this Boston incident. It's beyond even the suspects, it's just out and out racism and hatred, wrapped up in death threats. When it's not rambling about killing Muslims/blacks or the President, it's going on and on about how "they are trying to take our guns away" and false flag bullshit.

It's just somewhat bizarre that such a large group of people choose to live their lives in such angry, spiteful ways. Especially when it's so blatantly obvious that they are wrong.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

beatlegs posted:

Yep, and it would justify invading/bombing some country somewhere, which is what Republicans get off on.

Or more to the point, diverting billions in tax revenue to companies Republican politicians or their donors own and control.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ClemenSalad posted:

Does anyone remember that missing poster that had the real suspect's face on it but claimed it was Sunil? Was that made up by an internet person or something?

It was made up by an internet person.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Lolie posted:

I think many Americans are largely unaware of the extent of dislike for the US which exists even in nations which are allies. I remember some research being conducted on attitudes towards the US not long after 11 September 2001 and many Americans being genuinely shocked at how their nation was regarded by the outside world in general and not just "rogue" nations controlled by dictators with a religious or other ideological agenda. Hell, up until 11 September 2001, I think it had been a long time since many Americans even considered the question of whether the US was hated, let alone to what extent and why.

The stereotype of ugly Americans abroad largely comes from Texans abroad, according to international friends. Loud, trashy, smoking, drunk rednecks, littering everywhere and acting like they own the place.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Justin Godscock posted:

The media, on the other hand, are making it look like he's going to be shipped off to Gitmo for some waterboarding next week judging from how they are explaining this.

And they're for or against that waterboarding.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Petey posted:

It is, however, the closest by, and the one where I was injected full of radioactive goo last fall and made to run on a treadmill so they could watch my heart literally glow. I even have a special card which I was supposed to show to the FBI in case I set of geiger counters at airports or around Cambridge!

This is awesome, I want to know more about this.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Quick, legitimate question: if someone commits a heinous act, and points to a media source for the reasoning behind that incident, can the media figure be charged?

Let's say the bombers came out and said the reason why they set off those bombs was because Glenn Beck and Alex Jones preached that the United States government was out to get everyone, or something. Could Beck and Jones face charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Okay. So, since they have to have specific targeted threats, could right-wing media have faced any kind of charge for the death of someone like George Tiller?

• Locked thread