Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
loving lol, apologize for winning a game. Utterly pathetic. How dare they not play our competitive game properly, even if they didn't break any rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Saltygate!!! Studio stole everyone's money!!!!!!!

Not really

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Eulogistics posted:

I remember hearing that there was some team that did a 5-man push in mid lane to take some smaller tourney and they had to apologize. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I only mention it because it's obviously the best strat (pick 5 super-early game champs and shove an 8-minute inhib or outright win the game) and Riot is gonna have to do something better than reduce damage to towers to stop teams from reaching this inevitable conclusion (possibly again).

Did they seriously have to apologize for doing that?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yukari posted:

I think if forced to make an apology video for that, the correct response is (in a completely deadpan voice), "Hello, some of you are upset at our recent tournament win. I would like to make a formal apology for picking the strategy that made us most likely to win the game. Thanks."

E: It really bothers me how knee-jerk the LoL balancing is. In DotA there are months without a patch changing a major item/character and the meta still changes on its own. Farming>ganking>pushing>

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 17, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Not that getting hit with spears is impossible but the amount of times in pro games where a thresh is standing still next to a tower and gets hit is pretty high. Her spear damage in the "mid-range" is being nerfed in the Nidalee rebalance according to Riot anyways. She's not unbeatable and is nowhere as annoying as pre-rework kassadin.

Of course you can dodge spears, but the effect of a single spear hit is so good that we get so many instances of a team just setting up at a tower and then spending awhile fishing for a chance at one spear hit so they can take the tower. I guess there's a sort of tension at first of 'will Nidalee hit the big spear' but that doesn't last. And when Nid has blue + Athenes they can throw spears for days. I realize this only works when the siege team is ahead but it happens a lot and it gets pretty dull and even when they hit the spear it just results in the opposing team retreating half the time rather than something exciting.

Nid being able to stop barons by herself and just run off is kinda eh too, but I wouldnt' say she's OP, just that she results in dull, low-interaction strategies and tactics.

I want to see exciting teamfights, picks and movements, not a standoff while one team plays spear roulette until they win.

I don't mind so much when I see a good CC chained into spears though, or clever zoning/positioning though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Of course you can dodge spears, but the effect of a single spear hit is so good that we get so many instances of a team just setting up at a tower and then spending awhile fishing for a chance at one spear hit so they can take the tower. I guess there's a sort of tension at first of 'will Nidalee hit the big spear' but that doesn't last. And when Nid has blue + Athenes they can throw spears for days. I realize this only works when the siege team is ahead but it happens a lot and it gets pretty dull and even when they hit the spear it just results in the opposing team retreating half the time rather than something exciting.

Nid being able to stop barons by herself and just run off is kinda eh too, but I wouldnt' say she's OP, just that she results in dull, low-interaction strategies and tactics.

I want to see exciting teamfights, picks and movements, not a standoff while one team plays spear roulette until they win.

I don't mind so much when I see a good CC chained into spears though, or clever zoning/positioning though.

Yeah, I thought people were calling her actually OP and not just boring/annoying.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yukari posted:

He's probably thinking about that hostage video Gambit had to post after they started flaming in all chat.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

He's probably thinking about that hostage video Gambit had to post after they started flaming in all chat.

Hahaha I remember that now :hf:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The only apology I remember is when Curse and I think Dig agreed to aram some tourney match.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Hypocrisy posted:

Do you have a link to the game and vid afterwards? I don't remember that happening at all.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Yukari posted:

Do you have a link to the game and vid afterwards? I don't remember that happening at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC18DJNGX1s

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I don't really play the game anymore and I'm pretty sure I have the analysis ability of a tin can, but if a team is facing a Nidalee, can someone explain why don't they just dive/hard engage on her? Like, before she even gets the chance to do any serious poke damage to you? It sounds like dancing around a tower at range is playing exactly into her strengths.

And I mean, presumably if they have a Nidalee, she's probably in some sort of poke or siege comp, right? Which means they'd be pretty weak to hard engages?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

facepalmolive posted:

And I mean, presumably if they have a Nidalee, she's probably in some sort of poke or siege comp, right? Which means they'd be pretty weak to hard engages?

Poke comps usually have really good disengage (sivir, high mobility champs) or really good counter engage (Annie). You don't want to dive into nidalee's spears either and they are a lot easier to hit when the other team is running at you in a straight line.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
^ Thanks; makes sense that if you're running a poke comp, you do want to find a way to cover your huge weaknesses.

While we're talking about ragin' pros, this is still my favorite clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXqgbfo-PI&t=1840s Watch IWDominate after the fight. He just doesn't stop. Also ft. trademark Dig baron throw.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 18, 2014

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

I love that it's loving CJ Entus with Dade/Insec/Space that lost to this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

facepalmolive posted:

^ Thanks; makes sense that if you're running a poke comp, you do want to find a way to cover your huge weaknesses.

While we're talking about ragin' pros, this is still my favorite clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIXqgbfo-PI&t=30s Watch IWDominate after the fight. He just doesn't stop. Also ft. trademark Dig baron throw.

What was he even raging about? Because qtpie got the kill or what? I don't understand.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure they could afford to do that, cause if one team did that but the other team three man pushed while their jungler stole the other team's buffs without clearing them, it would give that jungler an experience advantage and delay the other team's mid laner getting the blue until the jungler bothered to go clear it and get a timer on it.

The fast push tower meta is really lame to watch though. :sigh:

This is the first time the meta has changed since people called it Eurolane, please don't say this.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheModernAmerican posted:

This is the first time the meta has changed since people called it Eurolane, please don't say this.

Meta changes are ok, but change isn't automatically good, from a viewer's perspective. :shrug:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nah it's changed since then, Riot just patched accordingly to stamp it out, like they're gonna soon with this.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Meta changes are ok, but change isn't automatically good, from a viewer's perspective. :shrug:

I don't remember the 1-1-2-1 ever being abandoned. We're seeing 0-1-4-0 now, how do you not at least think it's interesting?

I'm probably going to get bored of it after a while, but I've never found the laning phase interesting at all. Getting to the mid game in 5 minutes is amazing.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 18, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

I don't remember the 1-1-2-1 ever being abandoned. We're seeing 0-1-4-0 now, how do you not at least think it's interesting?

I'm probably going to get bored of it after a while, but I've never found the laning phase interesting at all. Getting to the mid game in 5 minutes is amazing.

I never said it wasn't interesting, I'm just of the opinion that Riot will never let things stand as they are because the laning phase must be preserved at all costs.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

foutre posted:

I love that it's loving CJ Entus with Dade/Insec/Space that lost to this.

Also note that it's season 3 world champion support PoohMandu playing the Heimer. I didn't realise that was him until a few months ago :shobon:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I never said it wasn't interesting, I'm just of the opinion that Riot will never let things stand as they are because the laning phase must be preserved at all costs.

Quoted the wrong dude, my bad. But yeah, this will get nerfed hard next patch.

All towers are immune to champion for the first 5 minutes! :riot:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I mean when you go back to the core idea of how killing towers is good and it directly leads to killing the Nexus, the 4 man strategy almost immediately comes to mind as a strong one. The nerf I think we'll see is a hefty nerf to exp when being shared by more than 2 people at once. This way they can maybe back off on the ludicrous tower changes.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Its weird that the 4v0 meta became about mass killing towers because the original point in the 4 man system was to keep your jungler safe from invades - if your jungler went solo to the wrong side they could always risk getting late invaded by the enemy duo + jungler and maybe top, and if you fail to get the buff that you start at it really hurts (even worse if you die). But now it naturally evolved to crazy tower pushes. Still, the vision aspect is the main catalyst.

facepalmolive posted:

I don't really play the game anymore and I'm pretty sure I have the analysis ability of a tin can, but if a team is facing a Nidalee, can someone explain why don't they just dive/hard engage on her? Like, before she even gets the chance to do any serious poke damage to you? It sounds like dancing around a tower at range is playing exactly into her strengths.

As mentioned above, poke comps have disengage - Annie, trundle, thresh, etc. Usually you get a medallion so you can run out. You're right in that they're still vulnerable to hard engage too, and the core weakness is to engage them before they set up or flank them. So they also need to ward their flanks and have good vision control and ideally a turret advantage.

The danger is when a poke comp is ahead enough that they have a item advantage that makes hard engages dicey unless you get it really right. If you mess up you'll get kited forever and die. But they don't steamroll the game in entertaining fashion while ahead, they just grind the other team down with boring poke sieges.

A siege/poke comp that's behind will likely get dove hard every time they try to set up and lose, though, and they likely wont have the vision to avoid bad situations.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 18, 2014

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
WTB English stream for LPL

e: http://www.twitch.tv/gamesinasia

nescience fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 18, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Samsung Blue vs CJ Frost is going on right now on OGN! Still low on cheering, but its a good series! Close and a lot of good plays so far.

e: Dade's TF is scary, it's like we're back in Season 3 with TF running rampant over the whole map.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 18, 2014

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
TF is so back.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
lmao 11/0/9 Dade TF

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

When I first read the patch notes for 4.5 I didn't think it would have this much impact on the game. But I guess making all the wriggle's junglers relevant again and nerfing all the mid picks and buffing a bunch of the B-team mid picks sorta changes a bunch.

556 gold per minute on Dade :aaa:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The death of Kassadin and the rise of Nidalee contributed heavily to the triumphant return of TF. Also,he's a champion that can shove mid and then partake in the 4 man pushes.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

NTT posted:

The death of Kassadin and the rise of Nidalee contributed heavily to the triumphant return of TF. Also,he's a champion that can shove mid and then partake in the 4 man pushes.

Not to mention that you can immediately nullify an AD assassin by taking the new exhaust, and the new distortion enchantment also really helps him.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
drat Shy is demolishing Acorn here.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Lee Sin came in really well twice to get Shyvana super big and it pretty much won the first game for them. Shy is playing really dominant.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
This game is surprisingly close for a game where a team has a 7k gold lead.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
What I learned from this game: Kha'Zix and Ziggs scale very well.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The Strongbad jokes coming out of the woodwork

e; #whoseyourdade

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 18, 2014

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Made some gifs of the top plays for EU LCS Playoffs: http://www.dailydot.com/esports/eu-lcs-playoffs-top-plays/

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Hey, it's playoffs!

CST vs CLG
DIG vs CRS

I still think TSM will beat CLG if it comes down to it. TSM has finished in the top 2 every single season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I'll take CLG and I guess Dignitas in the official Meineke car care I couldn't care less bowl.

• Locked thread