Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So here's a question: why do people keep picking Jayce in LCS matches?

He's been a popular pick, especially during Super Week, but there's one little problem: he keeps losing. He keeps getting bullied out of his lane, he doesn't ever seem to contribute much to teamfights, and ultimately his player gets rolled and fed. I know he had a reputation for being overpowered at his launch, but right now he just doesn't seem to be doing much. And yet he keeps getting picked! What gives, here, you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone have their way with Gambit. :stare: AAA's plays here are astounding.

EDIT: And as I type that, Gambit reasserts their authority :v:

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, never mind. :stare: is in effect again, but in the sense of this being a lesson in not letting an early kill and gold disadvantage get you down.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 21, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

And Twitch loving explodes, thanks a heap Twitch :mad: I wanted to see more Syndra!

Jonny Angel posted:

His combined record in both LCSes is actually 11-16, or 41%. It's a losing record, but not the MOST losing record, so I can see statistically why he keeps appealing to teams. Let's see, who's been played in 10 or more games and has a sub-40% win rate...

Ahri (3-8, 27%)

This stat makes me sad. I like playing Ahri. :smith: Why can't more pros play her better?

Kennen really is kind of dumpster tier, though, I'd noticed that. He comes up but never wins. I almost wonder if he might be getting some buffs after the Spring split, because god drat if he just never seems to manage to do too much. Hell, I think he did the most in that last Dragonborns match, and even then he was just kind of there, ulting occasionally.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 21, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

And the Wolves lose. :( I think the most frustrating thing is that Bjergsen's Syndra was just as sharp as it was last game, but the rest of his team failed him. What the hell was Svenskeren doing? He was half the team's entire deaths!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Going into the next match, xPeke on Ahri. :swoon: THIS I want to see. This'll be a learning experience.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It's official, the Wolves are now my favorite EU team. That was amazing and I love watching Bjergsen dance. :allears: And it blows my mind that he's only seventeen. Christ, I was good at The Video Games at that age, but not that good.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

A really good Zac, too, even if I can see why a lot of NA dumps on Zac - that slingshot is so hard to use, even when you know what you're doing and you have vision.

Still helped win the game for Sword, though. ;)

Also yes that Cain bait. Though to be honest, I'm not convinced that it wasn't just a mistake they managed to turn around :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So I guess the schedule is off? EU playoffs are starting right now, first up is Wolves vs. EG!

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames

Krepo getting first blood :allears:

EDIT: Wait, I'm the hugest idiot. This is a replay of week six's EG/Wolves match.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Well, that's interesting. According to the EU casters, we haven't seen a lot of Zac... because he's just now been unlocked on the tournament realm. I did not know that!

Karma rework is also available now, though I doubt we'll be seeing that :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Was gonna say, Zac comes out very first game. :stare: Gonna be interesting to watch (I thought he was a little hit-or-miss in Korean play).

EDIT: Okay, Bjergsen on my favorite mid is highly relevant to my interests. Not really paying attention to anything else until this is over.

Also Zac top, what :stare:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 26, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, LCS playoff newbie question: is this a best-of-three? I notice it's blocked out for three hours.

Also I can't help but think that GodBro would be struggling less if he'd taken Shen. His Rumble is just doing nothing :smith:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

mushi posted:

Ah, so this is just a regular tournament that the bottom 2 didn't get to participate in?

There will be a separate tournament which the top 2 won't participate in that may end up kicking 2 teams out, including like EG?

edit also it looks like CW forgot the first rule of playing against froggen. Ban the loving bird. He's 6/0/4 with 400+ minion kills.

The idea is that out of the eight in the regular season, the bottom two are automatically taken down to relegation and must re-qualify to get into the Summer split of the LCS. The losers of the match sets today will also be relegated.

The top two teams make it into the semifinals of the tournament, which begins tomorrow. They will fight the winners of today's sets. The winners of tomorrow's sets fight each other on Sunday for the top spot and NA or EU trophy.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Like I said: GodBro was useless that first fight because he wasn't on Shen. Give the bro Shen, and poo poo just explodes everywhere.

Meanwhile, Bjergsen, well, what the gently caress else do you say really :stare:

Really looking forward to match #3!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

And this, of course, is when the tournament realm decides to explode :v:

But yeah, really pulling for the Wolves here. Go, Danes, go!

And yeah, if only Bjergsen had been on at the start. Really looking forward to the Summer split.

Also yeah: even if the Wolves somehow lose this, I can't possibly see them NOT escaping relegation to get back in. They may not be perfect against EG, but there's no way they wouldn't stomp all over the kids.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Libertine posted:

Will AAA get to play their demotion match then or are they automatically out of the Summer LCS as well?

I would assume they get to play their demotion, unless they are utterly incapable of fielding five men next week too. Hopefully the family emergency isn't that severe.

Also that sucks so bad. :( It's always awful when family emergencies cause stuff like this. Sort of a lesson, though: making sure your alternates are ready to go at any time is really, really important!

EDIT: Yup:

quote:

To clarify, SK advances to the semi-finals against Gambit and aAa will play in the Promotion Tournament next weekend.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

God dammit, now I'm angry because the delays and issues have clearly shaken the Wolves' mojo. They would have won that second game if it wasn't for this.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

GGU doing pretty well! I hope they can seal the deal :ohdear:

Has Dig still not won a game since March?

One victory since March.

Still just one.

Dig is now well on the way to getting relegated out of the LCS. :allears:

And man, I was even slightly rooting for Dig that round because qt was running Draven. :(

theshim posted:

Well, Blitz is recemented as permaban status. Those grabs wrecked Scarra over and over and over.

The 'Crank gets banned for a reason, yo. Seems like Dig forgot about that.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

And, of course, if there's any team in the LCS that can completely throw a game to Dignitas, it IS GGU. :ughh:

This is one reason I wanted Complexity to get 6th last week.

That scarra march. What the gently caress was that. What was it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Okay, that much enthusiasm is adorable. :3:

And Dignitas is on the way to getting kicked out of the LCS for the Summer and possibly forever. :allears:

Also, I rescind what I said about Jayce earlier ITT. Clearly, that game is what people have been trying to do with him for weeks. :stare:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Curse is throwing this so hard. And this Tryn, mother of god :allears:

EDIT: Victory for GGU. LOVING. THIS. poo poo.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 28, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oh GGU, please, please don't throw this, we need you to win it :ohdear:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oh my god this is the best game of League ever

Such great facechecking

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hahahahahaha, Saint is so obviously angry. Time for more ineffectual raging? :smug:

Oh my god I cannot wait for tomorrow.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

More to the point, why, why, WHY don't they have a LAN client for their incredibly important video game final matches. Jesus H. Christ.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Libertine posted:

Someone posted yesterday that the EU doesn't get to have the LAN client because Riot shares the responsibilities of running the tournament with ESL and Riot is unwilling to share the tournament client with any other company.

Dumbest reason ever. These server issues are completely unacceptable for a professional sport as they are 100% avoidable and are possibly influencing matches (see: the Wolves).

Anyway! Great turn-around for Fnatic. Match #3 is gonna be the tensest. And yes, s0az is murder on that Zed, and holy poo poo that Ahri. :stare: I'm amazed Peke didn't bring that out more in the regular season.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Bait Baron, do dragon. Mindgames :psyduck:

And yeah, despite that last teamfight, I think Gambit's lost this.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Libertine posted:

Isn't there like $5,000 on the line? Why would they role swap?

At the same time, it's "only" 5000. Both teams are absolutely secure in the summer split and this is as good a time as any to change up on Curse a little, have Vulcun feel them out for the future and see how they respond to role changes and shifting the meta a bit.

Sadly it doesn't seem to be paying off :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

van fem posted:

LoL stuff: What're the chances we get a US finals that are even half as interesting as the EU ones? :(

The finals proper, very good. GGU pulled out some completely unexpected amazingness last night, and we can expect more of the same today.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Those. loving. Throws.

And yeah what was that Ori CS, I can manage higher CS on an AP mid in a fight that long and I'm not even level 30. :geno:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Bwahahaha, that Thresh bluff :allears: This is great.

And yes let's ignore Ahri while she rips us all apart, this will work perfectly :psyduck:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

HAHAHAHA THAT BARON! What the hell is this game?! Someone really does need to set that entire sequence to Yakety Sax. And then title it "don't doubt respawn times pre-40 minutes.avi". Vlad dies, comes back, and helps clean up the team that just got Baron. Christ.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

King of the Karp posted:

It kinda sounded like Elementz got sick of Saint's poo poo and didn't want to be a part of Curse anymore. At least that's what it sounded like to me, and i can't say I blame him. It always seemed like their relationship was pretty dysfunctional, and it seemed like it had been leaking into their play towards the end of LCS.

I bet Saint is regretting that now. Rhux is a good player, but he is obviously not used to this sort of play, and it's really costing them these games. Oh well, sorry Curse, you'd better get your poo poo figured out before the summer series.

Gonna say it, Saint seems to be the weak element of Curse at this juncture. His apparently caustic attitude is making his team dysfunctional, and his own decision-making is poor. A few of the bad plays there (like constantly wasting those global ults on situations where Zuna could, and did, easily juke the gank) are pretty much directly on his head.

If he's seriously the shotcaller for NA All-Stars, NA is going to get obliterated. :(

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

So if CLG disbands, who picks up Doublelift? Curse has Cop, TSM has Turtle, Dig has QTPie and all three are all-stars. Even Vulcan has a very comfortable hypercarrying Zuna. Could GGU bench Dontmashme for Doublelift? They seem to be thriving on cheese and dumbluck so far

e: Actually don't a lot of Asian teams admire Doublelift? Wonder what he could do on a Korean team

GGU seems to have a lot of actual team spirit and camaraderie; I doubt they'll replace any of the current team unless they absolutely have to due to outside circumstances.

It'd totally slipped my mind what kind of poo poo Doublelift would be in if he lost his contract though :smith: Hopefully someone would pick him up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also good lord, Riot, please stop dropping your stream during big plays. :mad:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Jayisspecial posted:

Are there any professional teams with female members? Just hit me that I have never seen a woman amongst one of these teams.

There are Diamond-level female players (edit: who publicly stream and whatnot and are personalities in the "scene"), but AFAIK no LCS-qualified team has female players or subs at the moment. I'm not QUITE sure about every team in the qualifier.

Pro gaming is still largely a boy's game, sadly.

Anyway, goddamn Alternate. :allears: They were so happy to actually win. Looking forward to seeing them in the summer split.

EDIT: Just checked, nope, not a single woman in any team in the qualifiers according to the rosters on Leaguepedia.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 5, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nono is losing it, and Schlaya looks about ready to just call it quits already. :smith:

That said, that was poor play and SNS deserved that win.

Edit: Christ, that's twice now. :stare: SNS is having their way with AAA like the latter are sub-30s going up against plats. Seriously that second game was, what? 9 to 1 at the end? 10k gold lead by 25 minutes, defeat before 30?

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 6, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Has anyone said what happened to Dioud, by the way? I hope it wasn't anything too bad.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I was going to say... as much as people rag on the Dragonborns, they're earning this, guys. Aside from the occasional silly throw like that one Baron, their teamfighting is strong, their key players are bonkers (YamatoCannon :stare: ) and they are just consistently outplaying MYM (who, frankly, don't actually look that strong regardless). If the next game is like the last one especially, then DB will have earned that Summer berth.

Let's just hope they can win more than four games next split :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The casters made a good point, they've been live for half a day straight now. :stare: I half suspect, at this point, that the break earlier was just to let everyone involved get some goddamn rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I love how, ultimately, everyone said "sure let's just take all our really good favorite champs and blow each other up". This is going to own.

• Locked thread