Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Watching CRS/CLG when they fully streamed their scrims it's really insane how vicious Saintvicious is on the microphone. Like 80% of their team chatter is just him yelling at people, 10% is Voyboy announcing when he's going in, and 10% is Nyjacky apologizing for upsetting Saint. Elementz and Cop seem like some of the most quiet passive players in professional league and Saint is like one of the most aggro individuals on the planet. I don't know how that works as a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Because for his attitude Saint is probably the best jungler and shot caller in NA. There's a reason he's both the all-star Jungler and he's organizing and leading the NA all-star team. Curse has looked unstoppable all season and then has just started to really falter in the last few weeks and it sounds like Saint and Elementz just weren't on the same page. The management of Curse has made it pretty clear that the team is Saint's team, and he makes the decisions, so if someone doesn't work with him it's their problem not his. When you are playing at the bleeding edge of any competitive endeavor, there's not a lot of room for hurt feelings, and you pretty much need an entire team that is as hardcore as possible to win championships. I think it was the same thing with Regi and Chaox in TSM. Regi runs the team and he and Chaox were contradicting each other in matches and costing TSM games. When you are playing professionally for large sums of money, you just can't have that kind of discord.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Bjergsen locks in Syndra. Can't wait to see him vs. Froggen's TF.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Oh my god that mid fight, that was one of the best baits I've ever seen.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I also think that most of the Kennen picks in LCS have been Giants Jimbz playing AD Carry Kennen. I'm not sure if that positively or negatively effects his results.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I agree with the casters here, if I'm Gambit I'd rather take second place in regular season standings to play the winner of SK/AAA instead of winner of EG/CW

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Flayer posted:

AAA sure but SK are playing really well right now. I'd say Wolves and SK are roughly at the same level right now and I'd think they'll win against EG and AAA respectively.

I think Gambit has only lost to SK like one time in the entire history of both teams.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Mr Cuddles posted:

My recommendation for this thread is that people post urls more often because if you want anybody to randomly decide to watch a game, you shouldn't assume everybody knows the urls for the games under discussion.

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames is the URL for 99% of games that are discussed in here.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I tend to forget that Pantheon exists for like a month at a time, and then I get in a game with some guy who just absolutely annihilates everyone on the map with him and then he vanishes and I don't see him again for a month.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

There's a reason that most competitive video gamers are like 16-24 and it has more to do with social expectations than twitch reflexes. Most people in their 20s start caring about their earning potential, and professional video gamer is not very lucrative career, except for like maybe the top 10% of professional players (who are like the top .001% of all players). The guys who can get huge stream views, sponsorships from peripheral companies, and win big tournament purses. The teams that just show up and place are making the LCS Salary of $175,000/5 = $35,000 a person and they probably have to spend some of that money on their expenses. That's about as much money in a year as someone with a high school education would make working a full-time low skill job. The teams who are outside of the LCS are probably even worse off financially. That's not long-term sustainable financial plan for anyone. Not to say anything about the popularity and competitive strength of any game being a short time span generally. Really the best thing any competitive player can do is parlay their competitive gaming fame into a different career as soon as possible (like Jatt and Kobe being casters).

Libertine fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 22, 2013

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

karlean7 posted:

I'm going to chime in and say that 35,000 a year is a vast overestimation of what a high school education, full-time low skill job actually pays. Teachers regularly don't make that much, and that requires a bachelor's degree and extra certification.

Teaching is probably the only profession you can go into that is less lucrative than pro gaming. Source: I used to teach.

I don't think $35,000 is a vast over-estimation, maybe slight, but not vast. Source: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0232.pdf

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

This is a really crazy video interview with Doublelift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XQQhrssnBY

Apparently he hasn't spoken to his parents in years because they hated everything about him becoming a pro gamer and he moved out.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

iG vs. WE was a really great series today. Both of them play extremely aggressive but extremely smart at the same time. You can see them jab back and forth forever and then one person makes a really decisive move to engage and like 7 different people die on either side. It's just crazy. The final game of the best of five was won when...

Malphite teleported into a ward in friendly jungle behind the sieging team, ulted into both carries and his whole team crashed on them with follow-up, killed 4, and raced down the Nexus turrets/Nexus.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

This is a pretty cool site that keeps track of a lot of pro League tournament stats and even has a ranking algorithm and tries to compile a global ranking of all the teams:
http://www.lolportal.net/

Might be worth throwing in the OP.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I really hope CW beats EG in the Game 3. They deserve it from the inspired way they have played in the last few months.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I just spoiler some of my own posts that are directly about exact game outcomes out of courtesy. I know some people come in here looking for VoDs. There's no rule on it. I don't know.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Also, aAa got disqualified because they couldn't get five players together, so SK are automatically through and they play Gambit next.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3377795

Will AAA get to play their demotion match then or are they automatically out of the Summer LCS as well?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

This game is complete poo poo, what the gently caress is going on with the connections.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

The announcers said there is a huge problem with the Server Farms/Data Centers where the games are being hosted. It's not a problem specific to one or the other, I imagine it is effectively hampering all of Riot's EU Operations.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I didn't think there existed a LAN client.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

The loser of this game (increasingly looking like the Wolves) will have the easiest promotion match I think because of all the teams battling for promotion the ones in that slot seem like the weakest. They will have to play Sinners Never Sleep or TCM Gaming and I haven't heard anything distinguishable about any of those teams. I'd be much more worried for MYM, ATN, or Anexis/Esports4Life who I think will all end up eliminating Dragonborns/Giants/AAA.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Millenium was a super disappointing team though, so I wouldn't put too much stock in their former players. Everyone thought they'd cake walk into LCS with all the talent they had and I think DragonBorns were the ones to upset them in the qualifier.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone in the qualifiers is beating CW. I feel the same way about Complexity in NA.

I really want Complexity to win in the NA Qualifier, but I think they have to face the absolute strongest challenger in the pool in Quantic (unless they somehow get upset in the first match).

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I wish they hadn't had Bjergsen on Orianna in the deciding game, he is just so terrifying on an assassin mid that I don't know why they would ever play him on anything different.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

Best day ever if either CLG or Dig got kicked to relegation. Even better if both of them get knocked out in relegation.

It seem crazy to imagine, but they have both been playing like garbage lately so I don't know.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

wodin posted:

I'm really confused by the pro teams using Zac in the top role instead of the jungle. Is the specific usage there because they feel like he needs significant farm to be an effective tank in the late game? It just seems odd to me, as it shuts down his biggest strength (his ridiculous ganks) by locking him up on an island up top.

I'm assuming it's because he sustains really well with his blobs and he is really hard to be ganked due to his passive. Those two qualities alone make him a pretty strong top laner.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

That scarra march. What the gently caress was that. What was it.

General Scarra's March to the Sea

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Holy poo poo Scarra looks extremely strung out. Man these guys are under a lot of pressure to win this.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I went out most of the night but left Youtube on to "DVR" the matches. Came back and watched Game 3 of Dig/GGU and CLG/Vulcan. Awesome matches. I'm really not surprised about Vulcan winning. I think Link is the only one who played evenly with Vulcan in these games, his Orianna was really incredible. The rest of the players on CLG really did not play well at all in the entire series and I'm really kind of surprised that they even took the one game. BloodWater is vastly superior to Aphromoo at support and Sycho Sid also vastly outplayed Hotshot. Chauster just didn't really make plays happen anywhere, but I couldn't really tell if that was him or his laners just being complete poo poo. I think if CLG re-qualifies for summer and actually wants to be a top team in the Summer LCS, they need to do something about Aphro and Hotshot because both of those guys are near the bottom of the bin for overall skill at their position in the LCS.

GGU was really shocking to me. I can't believe Dignitas has fallen so far. I think they will probably smash their opponent in the promotion series and be right back in the Summer LCS, but I can't believe they went from Top 2 to a T-5/6th finish.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I feel like Tristana ban is the thing that CLG should have done against Vulcan in all 3 games yesterday.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I'm starting to think Jayce mid is superior to Jayce top. He's like an AD Xerath with a form swap that doesn't suck.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Diamond is the first pro I've seen all Playoffs to actually play Zac well. I've thought Zac was a real trap pick all week because no one did a good job playing him. It turns out Diamond has the skills and the balls to pull it off. Some of his engages at like <25% HP were just sheer loving insanity but he still pulled them off.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Someone posted yesterday that the EU doesn't get to have the LAN client because Riot shares the responsibilities of running the tournament with ESL and Riot is unwilling to share the tournament client with any other company.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

What is going on in this game? Both teams are playing completely loving reckless. This is like my usual games when myself and all my friends are completely drunk. Manaless Lulu going to face check Kha'Zix on the blue? Just non stop insanity.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I don't understand in all of these games giving Zed blue buff. Every team has done it over and over. I really don't think it's ever worth giving it to a manaless character even for the CDR. Much better use on a mana'd jungler or AD Carry or anything. I never pick it up when I play a manaless guy. I guess they've done the math and figure it must be best used on those guys but it just seems like such a waste.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

It increases energy regen by like 0.5/sec, vs. like 25mp5 + 0.5% mana/sec for a mana user.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Well that makes sense then. The other League wiki article has it listed wrong.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Gambit is going to lose, they are just losing every single fight by inches.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Fnatic just passed 10k up, so they've got like a 95% chance of winning now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

It doesn't seem like a good counter-pick exists for Zed. Or if there is one, neither of these teams have picked it. Both of them have had a ton of success with him. Maybe Kayle? Kind of strange Alex didn't play him once.

• Locked thread