Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Except, of course, the decks that don't use them.

Or what about the decks which benefit from fetches specifically? Banning fetches would drastically hurt these archetypes, as they work much better with extra landfall or lands going to the graveyard. I can't find a variant of Zoo that doesn't have something that needs fetches to function.

Yes, I am aware of the existence of decks without fetches. Thanks.

And I am aware that bannings cause some decks to not function well anymore. Thanks.

How about this: do you realize that if fetches were banned then some cards could actually get unbanned as a result? Like Wild Nacatl? Maybe it'd open up space for other cards and deck types to thrive? Maybe all those Zoo decks you're looking at wouldn't have to rely on the powerful fetches and could evolve into different strategies? Maybe strategies that involve dealing with the strategies nearly every other deck would also have to adjust because they too could no longer use fetches?

If you want to do a thought experiment don't stop halfway when it's convenient for whatever point you were trying to make.

edit: VVV Reprinting Stifle would be another interesting way to deal with it, but I don't know if that kind of power level is what Wizards wants for Modern.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

How about this: do you realize that if fetches were banned then some cards could actually get unbanned as a result? Like Wild Nacatl? Maybe it'd open up space for other cards and deck types to thrive? Maybe all those Zoo decks you're looking at wouldn't have to rely on the powerful fetches and could evolve into different strategies? Maybe strategies that involve dealing with the strategies nearly every other deck would also have to adjust because they too could no longer use fetches?

Well, they could do that.

Or they could reprint something like Price of Progress and force them to adapt that way rather than ban a central cycle in Modern and put thousands of players out hundreds of dollars to enable a 25 cent common.

Both ways work really. :v:

Edit: ^^ Trickbind already exists in Modern, which is the same effect with uncounterability for an extra mana, and there's Shadow of Doubt which is (U/B)(U/B), has the same effect as a Stifle or Trickbind on a fetch and even cantrips to boot, and both of these see pretty paltry amounts of play (though I have seen Shadow of Doubt in Delver decks and some control decks. It's a very good card so I don't get why it doesn't get played more.).

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 24, 2013

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Why exactly do you need price of progress when blood moon already exists. Also Price of Progress doesn't do much against fetchlands because they just fetch basics in response.

For that matter people that think fetchlands are going to be banned are insane.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
If fetches get banned in modern, I will pretty surely be quitting magic. I've got too much invested in them at the moment to take that kind of hit. I think a lot of players are in the same boat and that's why I don't think they'll get banned. I would like a reprint though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChewyLSB posted:

Why exactly do you need price of progress when blood moon already exists. Also Price of Progress doesn't do much against fetchlands because they just fetch basics in response.

For that matter people that think fetchlands are going to be banned are insane.

Sorry, maybe I'm muddling up Legacy and Modern a little bit. In Legacy at least, Price of Progress is an absolute beating because so many decks simply don't bother to run basics anymore. The presence of Price of Progress at least creates an impact in that it forces decks to run at least a few out of necessity. I'd figure it'd apply for Modern too, even more so since the shocklands eat life as they come into play which exacerbates the problem. Factor in manlands, tron pieces, Mutavaults and other ones I'm probably neglecting and I could see Price of Progress doing some very good work in Modern.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I think the earliest we can realistically expect fetchland reprints is the block after Theros, and as others have said, it would be the perfect time to do so with RTR shocklands rotating out. Also much longer than that (two blocks down the road) and prices would be bonkers high, probably starting to stifle the format. It would be interesting if they printed fetches in the next core set, which would really make them affordable. I realize that's not going to happen since Wizards has stated a desire to keep the core sets more straightforward, but I suppose it's theoretically possible.

The more interesting question is: when they do reprint fetches, which are they going to do? Just the Zendikar ones, or add the Onslaught fetches for a full cycle of ten? I don't remember if there's been any commentary by Rosewater or anyone on introducing the ONS fetches to Modern. It would certainly shake the format up, and if they don't, those older fetches are going to go perma-crazy pricewise (Polluted Delta already trades close or higher than most Revised duals).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I asked about the Onslaught fetches a little while ago, but who can really say? Is having 10 fetches much better than 5? Suppose I'm looking at it from a Modern centric perspective, but that's why they reprinted the shocks in the first place.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
In the initial announce-ing of modern they mentioned that it felt weird that only the enemy fetchlands were legal in modern. I wouldn't be super surprised if at some point they make the allied fetchlands legal in modern. It wouldn't change the manabases that much, it just marginally makes certain color combos worse right now. It does feel like they should be modern legal, so I wouldn't exactly be surprised to see all ten fetchlands in a Return to Zendikar.

Also, regarding Price of Progress: it would certainly see play in something like burn but the point is is that if you really want to hose nonbasics you can just play Blood Moon right now which is just better. The problem is that Blood Moon decks are not great right now.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

If fetches are reprinted, I expect them in a supplemental product like Modern Masters 2. I expect the shuffling problem will keep them out of standard unless they are the perfect fit for a set, as with Zendikar and landfall.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'd be interested to see how a theoretical reprint of Onslaught fetches in standard would be valued and what impact it would have on the prices of the Zendikar ones. Would they all level out around the same area, or would the Zendikar ones retain a greater value?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lord Of Texas posted:

If fetches are reprinted, I expect them in a supplemental product like Modern Masters 2. I expect the shuffling problem will keep them out of standard unless they are the perfect fit for a set, as with Zendikar and landfall.

Except can they insert stuff into the format via a masters set, rather than just reprinting stuff that's already legal?

(Maybe you mean just the Zendikar fetches and you don't expect the Onslaught fetches to become legal in Modern ever under any circumstances, but I'm not clear on that based on the point at which you entered the conversation.)

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Except can they insert stuff into the format via a masters set, rather than just reprinting stuff that's already legal?

(Maybe you mean just the Zendikar fetches and you don't expect the Onslaught fetches to become legal in Modern ever under any circumstances, but I'm not clear on that based on the point at which you entered the conversation.)

I meant the Zen fetches for Modern, but I don't expect either cycle in standard. At any rate its their rules, they could insert the ONS fetches via MM2 if they deemed it good for the format.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AnacondaHL posted:

The Zoo strategies will have their legs chopped off, since every one of them needs fetches in one way or the other, given a card that relies on T1 green then having a Sacred Foundry's worth of nongreen mana on T2 with no way to get that reliably, and quite a few strategies like the WU and UB Controls and Jund will only be slightly affected. And the fetchless decks like Tron are just better relatively to the field.

That really doesn't seem to be much of an incentive to ban them, since it just hits the biggest aggro archetype and not much else.

I don't know Modern as well as Standard or Legacy but I just cannot see what the positives are supposed to be here, especially compared to just printing the fetches again.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't know Modern as well as Standard or Legacy but I just cannot see what the positives are supposed to be here, especially compared to just printing the fetches again.

Yeah, I'd rather the market get flooded with them than banning utility duals for price reasons. In the end, they're lands that fix mana and help enable a keyword from a set they appeared in. The price issue can be fixed - the entire reason Modern exists is because they can't fix legacy's price woes by reprinting things.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I was planning on taking Hatebears to GP Portland, as it literally laughs at Jund, but its flank was pretty badly exposed in a few matchups against U Tron and America, which seem to be gaining ground. Mono-U Tron is currently 13% of the meta, with Jund down to just 9%.

Any ideas what rogue deck deals handily with U strategies and generally goes hard against the field? Some sort of R/g LD/Sowing Salt/Life from the Loam/Crucible of Worlds/Ghost Quarter thing?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

There was that Loam deck that Bronson Magnon brewed to win the GP last year.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/gplin12/welcome#1

Ghost Quarter can end up turning into Strip Mine with that deck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
UG Infect is very solid against Tron, but folds pretty hard to RWU.

I think either of the Pod (Melira or Kiki-Jiki) decks might be well positioned in this meta.

Mona Lisa Overdrive
May 7, 2006
Calculus Enthusiast
I wondering what your thoughts are on RUG Scapeshift in the current meta? It is exactly the kind of deck I like to play and I know it did well a few months ago because it has a strong game against Jund. Does it hold up against U/W/r Geist and U Tron?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Mona Lisa Overdrive posted:

I wondering what your thoughts are on RUG Scapeshift in the current meta? It is exactly the kind of deck I like to play and I know it did well a few months ago because it has a strong game against Jund. Does it hold up against U/W/r Geist and U Tron?

I don't know what turn they can usually 'go off' but this list looks promising and might do well in those matchups. It did better than them in the daily that deck is from anyway.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Anyone have any advice for playing modern burn? Splash black or white or both? Sideboard options, general lines of play against most decks, and advice about the mtgo metagame would all be helpful.

This is my list:
Deck: Untitled Deck

//burn
4 Arid Mesa
6 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
1 Stomping Ground

4 Goblin Guide
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Vexing Devil
1 Dark Confidant

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Bump in the Night
4 Rift Bolt
4 Magma Jet
2 Searing Blaze
1 Skullcrack

//Sideboard
4 Rakdos Charm
2 Shattering Spree
3 Torpor Orb
1 Boom // Bust
4 Pyroclasm
1 Slagstorm

Display deck statistics

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The white splash is really inconsistent. A lot if matchups are races and you end doing way too much damage to yourself from lands. BR is fine.
You also need 4x skull crack to stand a chance.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Algid posted:

Anyone have any advice for playing modern burn? Splash black or white or both? Sideboard options, general lines of play against most decks, and advice about the mtgo metagame would all be helpful.

If you're going to run Vexing Devil and splash, run it with something like Orzhov Charm or Unburial Rites to keep it going.

I'd get rid of Bump In The Night for Searing Spear; Bump can't target creatures.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Durette posted:

If you're going to run Vexing Devil and splash, run it with something like Orzhov Charm or Unburial Rites to keep it going.

I'd get rid of Bump In The Night for Searing Spear; Bump can't target creatures.
You realize that this is the modern thread right? Even if your advice was applicable, there are better card choices available like postmortem lunge or incinerate.

Wadjamaloo posted:

The white splash is really inconsistent. A lot if matchups are races and you end doing way too much damage to yourself from lands. BR is fine.
What sort of lifegain am I trying to hose with skullcrack exactly? I could use a lot of help with sideboarding in general.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Algid posted:

You realize that this is the modern thread right? Even if your advice was applicable, there are better card choices available like postmortem lunge or incinerate.

Why would you run Postmortem Lunge with Vexing Devil? It totally negates the point of returning it from the graveyard.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It goes in for 4 either way since it has haste. I don't care about it sticking around, I just want to do damage since that's what a burn deck wants. Not that I would run lunge, just saying that it's better than a 4/5 cmc sorcery to try to get a 4/3 to stick around.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Algid posted:

It goes in for 4 either way since it has haste. I don't care about it sticking around, I just want to do damage since that's what a burn deck wants.

Not necessarily. All I have to do is block and it's exiled at the top of the next turn. I'd rather give them fewer options to deal with it.

I hear ya. He's got a lot of Modern cards in there, so I was running on the assumption that he would have those available.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Algid posted:

What sort of lifegain am I trying to hose with skullcrack exactly? I could use a lot of help with sideboarding in general.
Kitchen finks, lightning helix, and martyr of sands mainly. UWR will beat your face in with helix, snap, helix. It may even be worthwhile to run rain of gore or leyline if punishment sideboard. Martyr proc is pretty big right now and leyline is your only hope if winning.
I am at work right now, but I can post up my list and some more info later.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is incorrect. Most modern burn lists I see look like a variation of this:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Arid Mesa
2 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Blood Crypt
1 Graven Cairns
1 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
2 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Stomping Ground

//Creatures
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Goblin Guide
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Vexing Devil

//Burn
4 Boros Charm
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze

//Sideboard
3 Dragon's Claw
4 Molten Rain
3 Rakdos Charm
1 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack

Display deck statistics

I don't agree with some of the choices in this list, notably the one gravern cairns is weird and the complete lack of Bobs doesn't seem right, and I don't like Grim Lavamancer that much in this deck anymore either.

The white splash is 100% worth it for boros charm and you get to upgrade a two mana burn spell to Lightning Helix for when you do have to race. In general though, you're not racing much in modern, the GR aggro deck is only okay, so basically all you have to worry about is the mirror, so the fact that you're taking extra damage from your lands is not a big deal.

If I had to change this list, I'd probably change the Gravern cairns to a Blood Crypt and shave two lavamancers and maybe two Searing Blazes for four Bobs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder if there's such a thing as a burn deck that runs blue only for Snapcaster Mage to flashback burn spells. Maybe a version of UWR that could focus on that angle.

It's probably a terrible idea I should put on a dunce cap and sit in the corner.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Been thinking about a derivative of borosmandos/naya/aggro-loam hybrid deck that uses 4x boom//bust and 4x ghost quarter along with landfall critters like Steppe Lynx and Plated Geopede to rush damage in and pressure opposing mana sources; It might also use green for explore and land searching spells. Anyone have any suggestions for such a deck?

Basic shell:
Creatures:
4x Steppe Lynx
4x Plated Geopede
4x Goblin Guide (maybe?)
??

Spells:
1-3x crucible of worlds
2-4x path to exile
4x lightning bolt
2-4x lightning helix
4x explore
4x Life from the Loam
4x Boom//Bust

Lands:
4x Arid Mesa
2x Verdant Catacombs
2x Marsh Flats
2x Misty Rainforest
2x Scalding Tarn
4x Ghost Quarter
xx Mountains
xx Plains
xx Forests

Ghost Quarter would be useful because I could target my own fetches, sac the fetch for a land and end up with 3-landfall triggers for the turn and no loss of available mana.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mulletstation posted:

Ghost Quarter would be useful because I could target my own fetches, sac the fetch for a land and end up with 3-landfall triggers for the turn and no loss of available mana.

Not quite:

quote:

9/22/2011: If the targeted land is an illegal target by the time Ghost Quarter's ability resolves, it will be countered and none of its effects will happen. The land's controller won't get to search for a basic land card.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Damnit! Welp, I guess I could would leave them main-deck anyway due to the low mana curve and as hate against scapeshift/tron

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mulletstation posted:

Damnit! Welp, I guess I could would leave them main-deck anyway due to the low mana curve and as hate against scapeshift/tron

Might I recommend Flagstones of Trokair? It's a legendary white land that comes into play untapped and fetches you a plains when it's destroyed, either by you or your opponent. Maybe it could be what you're looking for?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Mulletstation posted:

Been thinking about a derivative of borosmandos/naya/aggro-loam hybrid deck that uses 4x boom//bust and 4x ghost quarter along with landfall critters like Steppe Lynx and Plated Geopede to rush damage in and pressure opposing mana sources; It might also use green for explore and land searching spells. Anyone have any suggestions for such a deck?

Pretty sure you want Vinelasher Kudzu. Maybe also Scapeshift.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

TheKingofSprings posted:

Might I recommend Flagstones of Trokair? It's a legendary white land that comes into play untapped and fetches you a plains when it's destroyed, either by you or your opponent. Maybe it could be what you're looking for?

bonus, its a legendary permanent that you don't feel bad about having multiples of in your opening hand, etc. as it works out to 3 landfall triggers when the 2nd one comes down.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Matt Nass did a set of videos on a Modern W/R Landfall Aggro list over on CFB. I remember he had Flagstones and Ghost Quarters and Boros Charm and that red enchantment that will create a 7/1 after you get a couple landfall triggers.

e: here's the link http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-mattnass-boros-landfall-modern-event/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Holy poo poo this loving list

Lands:15
4 Glimmervoid
4 Arid Mesa
2 Academy Ruins
1 Temple Garden
1 Stomping Ground
1 Plains
1 Godless Shrine
1 Sacred Foundry

Artifacts:25

4 Lantern of Insight
4 Codex Shredder
4 Ghoulcaller's Bell
4 Mox Opal
3 Mishra's Bauble
3 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Pithing Needle
1 Pyrite Spellbomb

Spells:19

3 Ancient Stirrings
3 Faithless Looting
3 Dispatch
3 Pyroclasm
3 Duress
2 Beast Within
2 Infernal Tutor

Planeswalker: 1

1 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

:stare:

Go read Lantern of Insight and Codex Shredder/Ghoulcaller's Bell

Hope your opening grip was good.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't know, I just can't see that really being competitive. Its cute, but I think I'd have to see it in actual practice.

That said, if I wasn't already committed to slowly building a few modern decks already, I'd want to toy with it. Love seeing uses for terrible cards like Ghoulcaller's Bell.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Tharizdun posted:

Holy poo poo this loving list

Lands:15
4 Glimmervoid
4 Arid Mesa
2 Academy Ruins
1 Temple Garden
1 Stomping Ground