Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
As you can imagine, this thing has a primer on MTG Salvation for it. I like it, but I think it just might be mostly too cute, without having any actual game in it. I can just see this folding to some hand disruption in game one and then artifact removal in games two and three and not being able to do poo poo, since the rest of the deck is loving awful.

Speaking of awful, anyone here plays/has played the modern Ad Nauseam combo? I've been thinking of building it for FNM, but it honestly seems way too slow and inconsistent, which is a shame since I love lovely modern combos and am itching to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jenx posted:

Speaking of awful, anyone here plays/has played the modern Ad Nauseam combo? I've been thinking of building it for FNM, but it honestly seems way too slow and inconsistent, which is a shame since I love lovely modern combos and am itching to try it.
What on earth do you Ad Nauseam for? It's not like Tendrils of Agony was timeshifted.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tharizdun posted:

What on earth do you Ad Nauseam for? It's not like Tendrils of Agony was timeshifted.

To get a fistful of lands that you need to feed Lightning Storm for.

AgentAO
May 31, 2011

Attorney at Funk posted:

Matt Nass did a set of videos on a Modern W/R Landfall Aggro list over on CFB. I remember he had Flagstones and Ghost Quarters and Boros Charm and that red enchantment that will create a 7/1 after you get a couple landfall triggers.

e: here's the link http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-mattnass-boros-landfall-modern-event/

I'm actually running a variation of Boros Landfall right now. Here is my list:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Creatures
4 Figure of Destiny
4 Goblin Guide
3 Grim Lavamancer
4 Plated Geopede
4 Steppe Lynx
2 Ranger of Eos

//Spells
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lightning Helix
4 Path to Exile
3 Shard Volley
2 Boros Charm

//Land
2 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid Mesa
2 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Ghost Quarter

//Sideboard
3 Disenchant
3 Volcanic Fallout
3 Relic of Progenitus
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Timely Reinforcements

Display deck statistics

I personally like it. Its incredibly fast and easily closes games out on turn 3 or 4. The burn gives you a lot of extra reach and can easily keep their creatures off the board. Flagstones is an amazing card, and the main deck ghost quarters are decent tech against tron too. I don't play a lot of competitive however, so I cannot vouch for its success at a tournament or anything.

Flagstones is a really amazing card. It makes Shard Volley an extra few copies of bolt, makes Ghost Quarters amazing, combos with itself for tons of landfall triggers, and even has synergies with Boom//Bust if you want to make a Boros land destruction deck.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Tharizdun posted:

What on earth do you Ad Nauseam for?

Everything.

You either have Phyrexian Unlife or play Angel's Grace so you can't die this turn, Ad Nauseam, draw your entire library then either kill them with Lightning Storm or a flashback Conflagrate, whichever you so chose. Here's a deck tech video from a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSpTlyylP7A

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So what cards, if any, from Dragon's Maze slot into existing Modern decklists?

I can't think of anything really out-of-this world that Tron or Jund would want. America already has Lightning Helix and doesn't need the Warcaster helix-for-4.

Anything?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There's a few things I think someone might find exploits with, Hidden Strings for one, Council of the Absolute, Blaze Commando perhaps. Maybe not but it seems like the potential is there or could appear down the line. Maybe some combination of Master of Cruelties with Ninja or Burn? I'm perhaps not familiar enough with enough Modern archetypes to fit anything into one. Not really anything for Affinity but we needn't expect anything for that until Return to Scars of New Phyrexia or whatever.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I'll be putting a Sin Collector in my Melira Pod sideboard.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Beck//Call may find its way into combo elves, or affinity, but probably not.
Double lightning bolt ral zarek may see play in America, although ajani probably just does it better.
Voice of resurgence will certainly see play in zoo. I expect the burning tree emmisary gruul deck to splash for it.
I still think there is some interesting space with blood scrivener that is worth exploring. It does some neat things that BoB doesn't and I liek to try experimenting with it and faithless looting, dangerous wager, and firey temper.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I agree Debt Collector may have it's uses, and I'm guessing you mean mostly for Beck of Beck//Call? I'd probably just rather keep Thoughtcast though.

I just realized that if I'm able to get off my Teysa (Orzhov Scion) exploit off to make her spirits black (Glamerdye on her to change references to white to black or Painter's Servant picking Black) then Maw of the Obzedat lets me give creatures +∞/+∞. Nom nom nom.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Have you tried actually playing that Teysa deck against common modern decklists?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Nah, the idea just amuses me and uses a bunch of cards I think are cool. Did you say that out of genuine interest or as a way of saying "no, the idea sucks"?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Do you guys like that Rakdos champion? 4/4 First Strike Haste for 4 + Fervor for your team sounds kinda good in a theoretical suiBlack deck.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tharizdun posted:

Do you guys like that Rakdos champion? 4/4 First Strike Haste for 4 + Fervor for your team sounds kinda good in a theoretical suiBlack deck.

Past Rakdos Cackler and maybe chainwalker, what are you playing that interacts with her and is still good enough when you don't draw her that playing her is better than the alternative 4 drops (or just not playing 4 drops)?

I'm not necessarily just trying to poo poo on the idea, I'm honestly curious to see how you'd build this deck to be really tight.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, you would have to look at BR 4 or 5 drops that have counters, and at that point you can do a lot better just running the best creatures at those cmc. That is if a modern aggro deck even wants to go that high.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

BizarroAzrael posted:

Nah, the idea just amuses me and uses a bunch of cards I think are cool. Did you say that out of genuine interest or as a way of saying "no, the idea sucks"?

A little bit of both, but in a polite way, because you need Teysa to be out, then you need to glamerdye her, then have something to trigger her, then have another condition out to either attack next turn or do something like what zombi-bombardment does. Or am I not interpreting what your deck does?

Most of the combos in modern have a lot of ways to assemble their combo and win immediately, or have heavy redundancy in their parts, but this deck will need to rely on Teysa living through 1 or 2 turns while you cast other things which will keep mana occupied to defend her.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, the idea would be to have things that can help ensure that I can get it off. Ways to get guys back from the graveyard like Sun Titan and Grave Champion (I'm aware of the risks there, might be dealt with using Nihil Spellbomb) Unburial Rites and Mimic Vat. If I use Glamerdye I'm using blue anyway and should look at Gifts, self mill and counterspells.

One idea I think I mentioned a while back was using Celestial Purge as untra-flexible removal by using it with a Painter's Servant out, which might be a bit too cute if I'm against anything without Black permanents before I find one. Pretty sure I can't use Glamerdye on Purge to let it target another color, it would need to be red or black at the point of casting.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I agree Debt Collector may have it's uses, and I'm guessing you mean mostly for Beck of Beck//Call? I'd probably just rather keep Thoughtcast though.

I just realized that if I'm able to get off my Teysa (Orzhov Scion) exploit off to make her spirits black (Glamerdye on her to change references to white to black or Painter's Servant picking Black) then Maw of the Obzedat lets me give creatures +∞/+∞. Nom nom nom.
Yep, the beck portion. Travis woo (I know) had an affinity list running it. It could aggro out, or possibly draw the entire deck and win with disciple of the vaults and a sac outlet. Beck is probably completely unnecessary in affinity though. I've been goldfishing combo elves and its really fun to play, but terribly inconsistent. The deck just does nothing if you don't draw beck, and even if you do, you fizzle out a lot, or you get to cast non-lethal craterhoofs.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JerryLee posted:

Past Rakdos Cackler and maybe chainwalker, what are you playing that interacts with her and is still good enough when you don't draw her that playing her is better than the alternative 4 drops (or just not playing 4 drops)?

I'm not necessarily just trying to poo poo on the idea, I'm honestly curious to see how you'd build this deck to be really tight.

Would Thrill-Kill Assassin be good enough? 2/3 for 1B, trades with just about anything that isn't pro-black or 3+ power first strike. In an emergency, it can even block Goyf and trade with it! (though if you have to block Goyf you've probably already lost).

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

For 1B you can be casting bob and then crushing you opponent under the card advantage.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Wadjamaloo posted:

Beck//Call may find its way into combo elves, or affinity, but probably not.

The fact that Beck is ETB means it could enable a new archetype.
Like Beck+Blood Scrivener+Zombie Infestation :v:
Or maybe it could fit in Pod, as it works with persist/podded creatures

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Beck Scrivener combo sounds good, if only it didn't call for 3 colours and an even number of cards in hand. Got a set of Scriviner incoming, maybe it's worth a go.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
I was digging around my place for something unrelated the other night and came across a favorite deck of mine from Lorwyn - Time Spiral standard. I rebuilt it on MTGO and want to update it for Modern, but I'm slightly intimidated by the size of the Modern cardpool.

This is what I've thrown together; substituting Ponder for Serum Visions and Wrath of God for the Day of Judgments I have on MTGO

Deck: Merieke.dec

//Main
4 Terramorphic Expanse
5 Island
5 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Mystic Gate
1 Tolaria West
1 Urza's Factory
1 Calciform Pools
3 Mangara of Corondor
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Mulldrifter
3 Merieke Ri Berit
4 Day of Judgment
3 Serum Visions
3 Momentary Blink
4 Mind Stone
3 Thousand-Year Elixir
3 Rings of Brighthearth
3 Jace Beleren

Display deck statistics

The deck actually runs surprisingly smoothly. The deck plays Jace and Draws Cards and gets lands and draws cards and wraths, and then steals opposing creatures with Merieke - 4 when I drop her if I have 5WUB which is easier to get in this deck than it seems - or exiles junk with Mangara, then I win with an Ultimate Jace Beleren or Mulldrifter/Finks/Factory Token beats when my opponent can't do anything worthwhile.

I don't know whether to drop the blink subtheme - Blinking a Mulldrifter was fine in the Standard that was legal, but I don't know if it's the right thing to be doing in Modern. Getting an extra activation or two of Terramorphic Expanse is also pretty awesome, but I don't know if I should change the mana base to tron or something. There's something there; this deck did well in the old standard and should do well against aggro and creature heavy decks, but I know that the deck's not quite there yet. Maybe I should add some counterspells or something so I have a bit more game against control and combo decks?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Kaebora posted:

I was digging around my place for something unrelated the other night and came across a favorite deck of mine from Lorwyn - Time Spiral standard. I rebuilt it on MTGO and want to update it for Modern, but I'm slightly intimidated by the size of the Modern cardpool.

I think you definitely want Restoration Angel in this list. It's like Momentary Blink that can beat down. Also think about getting some U, B and W fetches as well as Celestial Collonade, Creeping Tar Pit and Shocks in your colors to smooth out mana. You definitely want counterspells in some combination of Remand, Mana Leak, and/or Cryptic Command or you are just dead to combo decks that win on turn 4. IDK what your budget is, so some of those cards may be out of reach. That's my take on it, some other people may have more to offer.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This deck wants Cloudshift in the worst way.

Also Restoration Angel, but don't spend money to play casual.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I think you can drop the Rings of Brighthearth and Thousand Year Elixer to play Mimic Vat, and drop Blink for Restoration Angel. I'd play Wall of Omens instead of Mind Stone, and find room for some Remand and at least 2 Cryptic Command. Maybe drop a Mulldrifter and a Day of Judgment. I would argue that you don't need Serum Vision to smooth out your draws, especially if you go with 4x Remand.

You should at least play 24 land and clean it up by playing 4x Marsh Flats, some combination of Godless Shrine, Hallowed Fountain, and Underground River Watery Grave. Play at least 3 Celestial Colonnade, and exchange the rest of your basics for M10 and Innistrad duals. You really only need 1 Island for the "Just in case they have Path to Exile" plan. You don't need Tolaria West, storage lands, or Urza's Factory since you're not doing anything special with them.

edit: Aven Riftwatcher might be better in this case compared to Kitchen Finks, due to Mimic Vat. In an odd way.

double edit: play Reveillark! At least 1 because its my favorite white creature not counting Baneslayer and Stoneforge and Mother of Runes and Kitchen Finks and Figure of Destiny and... of course you could play Sun Titan instead but gently caress that.

AlphaKeny1 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 2, 2013

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
^^He means Watery Grave, not Underground River. Those are great suggestions, esp. Mimic Vat and Wall of Omens.

e;fb

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I think you can drop the Rings of Brighthearth and Thousand Year Elixer to play Mimic Vat, and drop Blink for Restoration Angel. I'd play Wall of Omens instead of Mind Stone, and find room for some Remand and at least 2 Cryptic Command. Maybe drop a Mulldrifter and a Day of Judgment. I would argue that you don't need Serum Vision to smooth out your draws, especially if you go with 4x Remand.

You should at least play 24 land and clean it up by playing 4x Marsh Flats, some combination of Godless Shrine, Hallowed Fountain, and Underground River Watery Grave. Play at least 3 Celestial Colonnade, and exchange the rest of your basics for M10 and Innistrad duals. You really only need 1 Island for the "Just in case they have Path to Exile" plan. You don't need Tolaria West, storage lands, or Urza's Factory since you're not doing anything special with them.

edit: Aven Riftwatcher might be better in this case compared to Kitchen Finks, due to Mimic Vat. In an odd way.

double edit: play Reveillark! At least 1 because its my favorite white creature not counting Baneslayer and Stoneforge and Mother of Runes and Kitchen Finks and Figure of Destiny and... of course you could play Sun Titan instead but gently caress that.

Oooh, Mimic Vat seems saucy. I'm hesitant to drop both Rings (a favorite pet-card of mine, and did so much work in the standard version of the deck) and Elixir (which makes Mangara and Merieke so dangerous), but dropping one of those (probably the Elixir) for Mimic Vat (and doing a Riftwatcher/Finks swap, and a manabase overhaul) does seem like it would pay off in the end by making them super-resilient. I'm going to play around with it on MTGO later tonight, and see how I like it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Some players at my fnm were complaining about how quick wotc has been to ban cards in modern and that modern is just "big standard" rather than all star decks duking it out. "I want to see cawblade vs. full power faeries vs. affinity" etc. Etc.

So let's pretend there isn't a modern ban list.

What do you build?

I'm thinking affinity with the addition of stoneforge mystic to fetch cranial, jitte or clamp, that should be good enough to win.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

Some players at my fnm were complaining about how quick wotc has been to ban cards in modern and that modern is just "big standard" rather than all star decks duking it out. "I want to see cawblade vs. full power faeries vs. affinity" etc. Etc.

What do you build?

I'm thinking affinity with the addition of stoneforge mystic to fetch cranial, jitte or clamp, that should be good enough to win.

This is an interesting mental exercise, but I suspect any deck running JtMS and Mental Misstep will hose Affinity. I could be wrong though. I never played in the world of JtMS or fully powered Affinity so I really have no idea. The inclusion of Blazing Shoal would also make Infect a t2 kill (exile Progenitus) so who knows.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Molybdenum posted:

What do you build?

Dredge. The Flayer/Gravetroll and Bridge/Flamekin Zealot combos are all in Modern. Though I don't have the draw/discard stuff Legacy does, I've still got some left and there's no Force of Will to complicate matters.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

This is an interesting mental exercise, but I suspect any deck running JtMS and Mental Misstep will hose Affinity. I could be wrong though. I never played in the world of JtMS or fully powered Affinity so I really have no idea. The inclusion of Blazing Shoal would also make Infect a t2 kill (exile Progenitus) so who knows.

Incorrect. Fully-powered Affinity was perfectly capable of winning on turn 3 with Disciple and Shrapnel Blast, skipping the combat step. Mental Misstep just makes Affinity stronger.

Also, Skullclamp.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I'm pretty sure the old Dark Depths Thopter Assembly deck would be one of the best modern decks without any banned cards.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Incorrect. Fully-powered Affinity was perfectly capable of winning on turn 3 with Disciple and Shrapnel Blast, skipping the combat step. Mental Misstep just makes Affinity stronger.

Also, Skullclamp.

I guess this is the reason that the artifact lands and Skullclamp were preemptively banned. :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I would definitely drop Glimmervoid from my affinity deck for artifact lands, but I don't know if I'd want to get rid of the Nexuses.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Molybdenum posted:

What do you build?

I proposed something like this a while back. I called it Modern Unleashed. Start with the Legacy ban list and let the format evolve naturally. Setup an event for the pros to play it, maybe a GP, and establish a real banned list.

So Mental Misstep and Skullclamp would have to be banned to start, but beyond that I think it'd be way more interesting than the helicopter-parent format Modern currently is.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
You could build most of 12-post in modern if they unbanned the lands, which would be sweet.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Without any testing I'd easily go in with U/B Dark Depths Thopter. What does Skullclamp Affinity do against turn 2 Marit Lage? My second choice would probably be some new Esper CounterTop Thopter.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mulletstation posted:

You could build most of 12-post in modern if they unbanned the lands, which would be sweet.

You mean 16-post right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Without any testing I'd easily go in with U/B Dark Depths Thopter. What does Skullclamp Affinity do against turn 2 Marit Lage?
I heard Aether Spellbomb was a card.

Seriouschat, they'd just go around. Swing with the team on two, anyone you blocked gets sacc'd to whoever's getting through, Disciple of the Vault brings you to 6 or so, then Shrapnel Blast gets in there. Enjoy your 20/20 while you're dead.

• Locked thread