Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

LordSaturn posted:

Then what is he tapping in response to Stony Silence?

Just to be clear, I was complaining in my first post that Silence turns off Opal and Springleaf Drum; my current breakdown is Opal x4, Drum x3, Glimmervoid x2, which means that with a Stony Silence down 77% of my colored mana production disappears. My thought was that if I am running Wear/Tear, then if someone casts a Silence I can tap a Drum or Opal in response to the cast and once it resolves cast a Tear off the floating white mana. Obviously this is a less than ideal play because a single counterspell hoses me, but it's better than just scooping to Silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Putting together an Eternal thread for 2014 as we enter modern season; you guys got any ideas for links in the OP? Maybe the most up-to-date Breakfast Burrito primer for legacy, and a link to a gif of money being set on fire for modern?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Putting together an Eternal thread for 2014 as we enter modern season; you guys got any ideas for links in the OP? Maybe the most up-to-date Breakfast Burrito primer for legacy, and a link to a gif of money being set on fire for modern?

Can we somehow make it Scrooge Mcduck swimming around in a vault of Goyfs?

Edit: Modern in a nutshell

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 19, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Tharizdun posted:

base image

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Reposting this since it was the last post of the previous page.
Alright, I've been mulling this deck over for a while, and couldn't make it to the Modern FNM at my LGS, so I'm gonna post my deck here and I'm wondering if I need to make sideboard improvements for my (known) metagame.

Team Italia:
• Lands:
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 verdant Catacombs (had them remaining from my Jund deck and the prices for 2 more Arid Mesa's and Marsh Flats are too much for me currently)
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Blood Crypt
2 Godless Shrine
2 Arid Mesa
2 Marsh Flats
2 Swamps
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Mountain
• Noncreature Spells
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Lingering Souls
3 Liliana of the Veil
3 Terminate
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Path to Exile
2 Pillar of Flame
2 Isochron Scepter
2 Thoughtseize
2 Lightning Helix
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of War and Peace
• Creatures
4 Dark Confidant
3 Stillmoon Cavilers
2 Hero of Bladehold
2 Grim Lavamancers

SIDEBOARD:
3 Pithing Needle
2 Slaughter Games
2 Wear // Tear
2 Combust
2 Stony Silence
2 Torpor Orb
2 Grafdigger's Cage

I haven't played this deck at my LGS, but from what I remember the metagame there is one Melira Pod player, one Kiki Pod, one Merfolk, one Scapeshift, Infect, and the rest is usually Burn or Elves. Overall, is my sideboard built fine against the main players of those decks I mentioned? I probably should have Dismember's instead of Combust, for Thassa's in Merfolk (and it's still good versus Kiki-pod), but I like the uncounterability. Also, I'm wondering if there's a better replacement for Stillmoon Cavaliers - I used to have Mirran Crusaders, then Phyrexian Crusaders, then moved to Stillmoon because I didn't like the mixed damage of infect + normal damage. Should I just use Mirran's instead? I usually side out Stillmoon's against some decks on modo when I playtest, I think mainly because it's too much mana. But the good thing about it is that it's a good manasink for late game. I'm really divided on this and need some help, please.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

neetengie posted:

Team Italia:

You have multiple swords, Mirran Crusader is miles better than Stillmoon Cavalier. I don't like 3 Pithing Needle in the board either. What do you bring them in against?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

You have multiple swords, Mirran Crusader is miles better than Stillmoon Cavalier. I don't like 3 Pithing Needle in the board either. What do you bring them in against?

If I remember correctly just the Pod decks for their namesake, although maybe just Orbs and THE CAGE are better against them. I also bring it in against Merfolk to shut off AEther Vial.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

neetengie posted:

If I remember correctly just the Pod decks for their namesake, although maybe just Orbs and THE CAGE are better against them. I also bring it in against Merfolk to shut off AEther Vial.

I think just killing those artifacts might be better, since they might have ways to deal with your needles, but Needle naming Gavony Township might not be terrible.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
You've got Stony Silence, Torpor Orb, Grafdigger's Cage, Wear//Tear and Slaughter Games; I feel like 3 Pithing Needles is overkill. Given the metagame you describe, you want artifact/graveyard hate, life gain, ways to kill off one-drops, and other general purpose hate, so I'd go with something like:

3 Stony Silence (against Pod, Affinity, other artifact decks)
2 Rest in Peace (against UWR & Goyf decks)
2 Engineered Explosives (against Infect, Bogles, etc.)
2 Batterskull (against Burn)
2 Grafdigger's Cage (against Pod & Elves)
2 Combust (against UWR & Merfolk)
2 Slaughter Games (against pretty much any combo deck)

I'd also replace the Pillar of Flames with Terminates over Dismember, since you're already playing Isochron Scepter.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Any Legacy Burn players in here?

If you were walking into a completely unknown meta, what would you put in your sideboard?

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Mindbreak Trap and Pyro Pillar for storm, Ensnaring Bridge for Sneak Show/midrange beats, your choice of graveyard hate, and maybe something to deal with Chalice or Counterbalance.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kraus posted:

If you were walking into a completely unknown meta, what would you put in your sideboard?

The only classy way to make yourself known to a new meta is a sideboard of 15 Relentless Rats. You know it to be true.

Grafdigger's Cage, Red Elemental Blast/Pyroblast, Pithing Needle, Engineered Explosives, Volcanic Fallout, Price of Progress, Tormod's Crypt, Ensnaring Bridge and Mindbreak Trap are all options, though I don't think you want all of them in the same board.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Mindbreak Trap and Pyro Pillar for storm, Ensnaring Bridge for Sneak Show/midrange beats, your choice of graveyard hate, and maybe something to deal with Chalice or Counterbalance.

GY: Fairie Macabre
Chalice: Smash to Smithereens
Counterbalance: REB/Pyroblast (on the stack). You're kind of hosed if they resolve CB.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Kraus posted:

Depends on if you have Sulfuric Vortex main or not. Assuming you do:

3x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Faerie Macabre
4x mix of Pyroblast/REB (for surgical protection)
4x some mix of Smash to Smithereens, Pyrostatic Pillar

If you don't like Faerie Macabre, you can play Surgical Extractions and a Tormod's Crypt. Faerie Macabre is much better in the Reanimator matchup since their permissions doesn't matter, but obviously Surgical is a more powerful card over all.

Edit: by "surgical protection" I mean protection from REB getting surgical'd. a 2/2 split is probably fine. Those cards are obviously for your blue (particularly Miracles) matchup.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Shattering Spree can get around chalice and counterbalance, but yeah counterbalance is rough for burn.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

I think just killing those artifacts might be better, since they might have ways to deal with your needles, but Needle naming Gavony Township might not be terrible.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

You've got Stony Silence, Torpor Orb, Grafdigger's Cage, Wear//Tear and Slaughter Games; I feel like 3 Pithing Needles is overkill. Given the metagame you describe, you want artifact/graveyard hate, life gain, ways to kill off one-drops, and other general purpose hate, so I'd go with something like:

3 Stony Silence (against Pod, Affinity, other artifact decks)
2 Rest in Peace (against UWR & Goyf decks)
2 Engineered Explosives (against Infect, Bogles, etc.)
2 Batterskull (against Burn)
2 Grafdigger's Cage (against Pod & Elves)
2 Combust (against UWR & Merfolk)
2 Slaughter Games (against pretty much any combo deck)

I'd also replace the Pillar of Flames with Terminates over Dismember, since you're already playing Isochron Scepter.

Alright then, in retrospect the Pithing Needles either aren't great or are too narrow - the Pillars were originally in there to deal with opposing Deathrites and other pests that had two toughness or less. I'll just need to get two batterskulls and EEs and I'll be set. Thanks both of you.

Another small question - against Scapeshift, what do I name with the Slaughter Games? Is it usually just the namesake and the Prime Times? Also would siding in Batterskull for that game be good for it? For the lifegain mainly.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

neetengie posted:

Another small question - against Scapeshift, what do I name with the Slaughter Games? Is it usually just the namesake and the Prime Times? Also would siding in Batterskull for that game be good for it? For the lifegain mainly.

What you name with Slaughter Games depends on what you saw G1 and when you draw it. Sometimes you might want to name Cryptic Command, but usually you want to name Scapeshift or Primeval Titan. Batterskull might be too slow since you have no way to cheat it out (one doesn't exist in Modern at the moment). SoL&S might be almost as good. I am also a big fan of SoF&F in Modern. You usually get to take 2 turns if you connect.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

neetengie posted:

Alright then, in retrospect the Pithing Needles either aren't great or are too narrow - the Pillars were originally in there to deal with opposing Deathrites and other pests that had two toughness or less. I'll just need to get two batterskulls and EEs and I'll be set. Thanks both of you.

The order should probably be Prime Time first, Scapeshift second.

And Butterskills is crazy if you can resolve it against Scapeshift, I would certainly slot it in.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

And Butterskills is crazy if you can resolve it against Scapeshift, I would certainly slot it in.

I agree with both of these points. Batterskull is amazing when it hits, but you might not have time to resolve it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not all run lists run Primeval Titan. I believe the lists relying on heavier blue counts do not have him.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Can you explain why extracting the creature that is easily killable by any number of spells is more important that extracting the spell that actually kills you? Isn't "Slaughter Games for your win con, now you have to try and beat me with oddball creatures" a better plan?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Can you explain why extracting the creature that is easily killable by any number of spells is more important that extracting the spell that actually kills you? Isn't "Slaughter Games for your win con, now you have to try and beat me with oddball creatures" a better plan?

Yeah, I forgot he was running MD Terminate. Naming Scapeshift is almost always correct in that case.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ScarletBrother posted:

Yeah, I forgot he was running MD Terminate. Naming Scapeshift is almost always correct in that case.

Even without maindeck terminate, extracting an enabler instead of the wincon still seems suspect. Like, why would you extract Past in Flames instead of Grapeshot?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Even without maindeck terminate, extracting an enabler instead of the wincon still seems suspect. Like, why would you extract Past in Flames instead of Grapeshot?

I don't think the two are analogous. Past in Flames doesn't kill you directly, and they can still fizzle when they cast it. Primeval Titan can still kill you on it's own.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

Prime Time resolving can fetch Valakuts at which point you can be ground down slowly.

Similarly, PiF can set up an Increasing Vengeance/Ascension/Past in Flames + Lightning Bolt turn that kills you as opposed to the straightforward Grapeshot kill. Not all lists run that kill but it's possible. Alternatively, Bolt, PiF, and/or active Ascension(s).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 21, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Because there's a non-zero chance they have Empty the Warrens in the deck?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zoness posted:

Prime Time resolving can fetch Valakuts at which point you can be ground down slowly.

Similarly, PiF can set up an Increasing Vengeance + Lightning Bolt turn that kills you as opposed to the straightforward Grapeshot kill. Not all lists run that kill but it's possible. Alternatively, 4x Bolt PiF 4x Bolt.
I'm not trying to fight you, but I honestly can't understand why "a card that will grind you down slowly" is more dangerous than "a card that kills you on the spot if you don't have an answer for it" Also, one costs 4 the other 6 (not a huge issue in Scapeshift, admittedly) but it's probably 1 extra turn you have to try and find an answer.

Again, I'm just trying to understand why you'd take the valuetown critter instead of the card that actually kills you on the spot.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

I'm not trying to fight you, but I honestly can't understand why "a card that will grind you down slowly" is more dangerous than "a card that kills you on the spot if you don't have an answer for it" Also, one costs 4 the other 6 (not a huge issue in Scapeshift, admittedly) but it's probably 1 extra turn you have to try and find an answer.

Again, I'm just trying to understand why you'd take the valuetown critter instead of the card that actually kills you on the spot.

Both Primeval Titan and Scapeshift kill you (almost) instantly. Don't think that Scapeshift really needs to have a Titan in play for many turns to kill you.

What you name with Slaughter Games depends. Pay attention to what lands they are playing/fetching. Are they fetching a lot of Mountains? They are on the Titan version, and they have it in hand. Are they carfully managing the amount of red/green sources, and have little blue? They are on the Titan version, and they are either going for Scapeshift, or have neither Titan nor Scapeshift in their hand. Are they mainly fetching blue lands (at least three to pay for Cryptic Command), or have they already played a Cryptic Command? They don't play Titan, they play a lot more counters, and Scapeshift is the thing you will want to name with Slaughter Games.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

DurdleDuck posted:

Both Primeval Titan and Scapeshift kill you (almost) instantly. Don't think that Scapeshift really needs to have a Titan in play for many turns to kill you.

What you name with Slaughter Games depends. Pay attention to what lands they are playing/fetching. Are they fetching a lot of Mountains? They are on the Titan version, and they have it in hand. Are they carfully managing the amount of red/green sources, and have little blue? They are on the Titan version, and they are either going for Scapeshift, or have neither Titan nor Scapeshift in their hand. Are they mainly fetching blue lands (at least three to pay for Cryptic Command), or have they already played a Cryptic Command? They don't play Titan, they play a lot more counters, and Scapeshift is the thing you will want to name with Slaughter Games.

The guy who plays Scapeshift has Prime times and is playing blue for Cryptic. I'd probably name scapeshift first and then Prime time.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
I'm thinking of building another deck for Modern so I have a choice between Affinity or "x" when it comes to Modern FNM.

Bearing in mind, I'm not keen on spending $200+ on a playset of lands, but may be interested in picking up some shocklands should the need arise, at the moment, "x" is looking like it will be some degenerate combo featuring elves, mostly due to the fact that it seems to be a decent deck for a reasonable pricetag.

Am I crazy? Is this a bad idea?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Genesis wave is bad, affinity will always be a deck (and a t1 deck, at that) unless they make some pretty egregious bans (that won't happen).

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Play what you think is the most fun, win or lose. It's FNM, not a GP.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Mortimer posted:

Genesis wave is bad, affinity will always be a deck (and a t1 deck, at that) unless they make some pretty egregious bans (that won't happen).

I feel like UWR and Affinity are the most impervious to bans, as both are Tier 1 and neither has any single card that would invalidate the entire deck (Snapcaster Mage/Celestial Colonnade and Arcbound Ravager/Cranial Plating are probably the biggest hits, but either would work without). If I was looking to build a deck to always have in the bank, I'd go with one of those.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Man_alive posted:

I'm thinking of building another deck for Modern so I have a choice between Affinity or "x" when it comes to Modern FNM.

Bearing in mind, I'm not keen on spending $200+ on a playset of lands, but may be interested in picking up some shocklands should the need arise, at the moment, "x" is looking like it will be some degenerate combo featuring elves, mostly due to the fact that it seems to be a decent deck for a reasonable pricetag.

Get Monogreen Devotion but replace the Genesis Waves with Tooth and Nail. You can try some Monoblack Control thing also.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I feel like UWR and Affinity are the most impervious to bans

To split hairs, to further bans. There's like 6 Affinity-relevant bans in place already.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Man_alive posted:

One of the guys here plays Wave without elves, just auras, and he enjoys it. The sideboard needs work, but its a fun deck to play.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

BizarroAzrael posted:

To split hairs, to further bans. There's like 6 Affinity-relevant bans in place already.

Oh c'mon, you can't count each colored artifact land as its own ban. Also, Skullclamp wouldn't just be an affinity card if it were legal.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
They made zuberas 1/2 because of clamp.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Weren't artifact lands and skullclamp pre-banned when Modern was announced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

LordSaturn posted:

Oh c'mon, you can't count each colored artifact land as its own ban. Also, Skullclamp wouldn't just be an affinity card if it were legal.

Glimpse of Nature and Stoneforge Mystic and Umezawa's Jitte are all technically Affinity related bans, comparing Modern Affinity to the Legacy/Vintage versions, though they obviously affect multiple archtypes.

• Locked thread