Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

If I was going to try to list the Pillars of Modern the way we have the Pillars of Vintage, I would definitely start with Cryptic Command and Birthing Pod. What other cards would people suggest?

EDIT: Oh, and Mox Opal and Pyromancer's Ascension.

EDIT EDIT: I guess I should be more clear. The Five Pillars of Vintage are: Dark Ritual, Mana Drain, Bazaar of Baghdad, Mishra's Workshop, and Null Rod (which is interchangeable with Stony Silence). There are lots of cards arguably more powerful than those on the list - the Power Nine, Force of Will, etc - but each of those five cards defines a whole class of decks with a particular strategic approach.

In Vintage, not being on a playset of at least one of the Pillars puts you at a noticable disadvantage to someone who is, pretty much regardless of what else you're doing. Obviously in flatter formats the pillars are easier to dispute, and less crucial - crazy poo poo like Wolf-Stax can turn up in Legacy, Modern is full of all kinds of wild bullshit.

So I'm less talking about "high-power format staples" and more about "cards that define an archetype". This kind of sprung from me discussing Modern matchups and loosely indicating "Cryptic Command decks" which are a pretty loose grouping but with some key similarities.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Bolt, Path, Serum Visions, Snapcaster, Remand, Fetches, Shocks,

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

Bolt, Path, Serum Visions, Snapcaster, Remand, Fetches, Shocks,

He's talking about cards that define deck/archtype. Bolt and remand, and fetches and shocks don't define a certain deck.

Splinter Twin defines an archtype. Birthing Pod defines a archtype.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was told that Legacy Goblins (which I was briefly trying to build) wins by card advantage as much as anything, but none of those advantage engines are Modern-legal so you have to design to deck to be hellishly fast instead. I'm praying for one of those Legacy Goblins stars to get reprinted someday, I'd love to be able to use my three Piledrivers in Modern (especially with Legion Loyalist :getin:)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

He's talking about cards that define deck/archtype. Bolt and remand, and fetches and shocks don't define a certain deck.

Celestial Colonnade, Dark Confidant, and Cranial Plating can be argued to define archetypes.

But not as strongly as those vintage cards, obviously.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

This deck right here is a pillar of Legacy:

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13467&iddeck=98954

Look at this thing. I mean, Suppression Field can wreck some people pretty hard in Modern, but a deck that has time for Suppression Field in Legacy? Hits Fetches, Wastelands, Ports, Deathrites, Stoneforge activations, Jace, Liliana (any planeswalker, those are the biggies), Pod since that in Nic Fit is a thing, Jitte or Sword equips, Pernicious Deed/EE activations, Sneak Attacks, Cephalid Coliseum, Karakas, Maze of Ith, Wirewood Symbiote. Seems REAL GOOD against decks (the one deck) with Phantasmagorian. Like any all-in combo deck without hand disruption, the blue matchup needs some (a lot of) work, but boarding into 8 uncounterable resistors seems sweet. I think the other parts of the sideboard could be things that are more hateful to the format, in the same vein as UW Prison in modern, but this deck might have legs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure how you look at that list and think that suppression field is in there as anything more than an afterthought with some value. It could probably be runed halo or rest in peace and be similarly relevant.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

Celestial Colonnade, Dark Confidant, and Cranial Plating can be argued to define archetypes.

But not as strongly as those vintage cards, obviously.

Yeah, this is more what I'm talking about.

I'd argue that Celestial Colonnade goes in Cryptic Command decks, not vice-versa - Command is much more the card that shapes your strategy, since you're basically always looking to land a cantripping counterspell ASAP, to knock your opponent out of the midgame.

I'd say similar things about Cranial Plating, but Mox Opal isn't really that good of a candidate, either. It's kind of a closed archetype, there's not drastically different Affinity builds in Modern.

I also question whether Bob defines an archetype. He's very strong, obviously, but he doesn't do much to shape your strategy - you jam him at a convenient moment and maybe look for a way to bin him if your life total is suffering. Everyone wants their curve as low as possible anyway.

jassi007 posted:

The Twin engine is always such a pain to talk about because there's, what, two versions of piece A and four versions of piece B? And they all have different Venn diagrams of hate cards that hit them or don't? Plus it tends to get used as a wincon in other decks, i.e. that Cryptic Command build with 4x Restoration Angel and 4x Kiki-Jiki.

I would definitely name Liliana of the Veil, too - maybe least of all for 8rack, and moreso for every other deck she goes in. Maybe Gifts Ungiven?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The thing about Modern is that they tend to ban archetype-centering cards that a lot of different decks flow out of. Remember back when there were Deathrite decks? It wasn't that long ago. Pod is notable as one of the few such cards that hasn't been banned.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

The thing about Modern is that they tend to ban archetype-centering cards that a lot of different decks flow out of. Remember back when there were Deathrite decks? It wasn't that long ago. Pod is notable as one of the few such cards that hasn't been banned.

I don't know that there were deathrite decks, so much as 2384082342 decks that added deathrite. Jund, with deathrite. Pod, with deathrite. Burn, splashing black for deathrite. WGb splashing black for deathrite. elves splash black for deathrite. etc. I loved deathrite but it was sooooo powerful that it made sense to add in most decks and it was essentially modern's version of brainstorm.

Pod popularity is especially high because 1) It is fun 2) It is powerful and 3) they banned GSZ which makes it hard to play toolbox decks w/o birthing pod. Unlikely to get banned since it isn't broken on its own, it can be hated out, and it is one of the only if not the only viable modern Johnny creature deck. I would absolutely quit MTG if pod were banned in modern, whereas I was just sad about losing deathrite.

Dark Confidant still stands as a central "card advantage + lots of disruption" that you see in Jund, BG, BWR. Unlikely to get banned since they just printed it in MMA1.

Splinter twin is another pillar, but also seems unlikely to be banned. It is hardly overpowered.. it is just a nice "win out of nowhere" card that gets added to a strategy that is already pretty strong (URx with lots of interaction)

Goyf also has various creature decks built around it.. or at least that would not exist without it. Also unlikely to be banned despite being stupidly powerful because GY interaction interacts with it and because it just headlined MMA1.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I'm wondering if a trip report from a Modern FNM would be appropriate in here or in the Brewhaus - which one should it go in? Just went 3-0 with my WBR deck, and it was fun as hell. Had a hard time with a budget Tron-ish deck, but still won after board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

post it in the new thread

• Locked thread