Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Wadjamaloo posted:

Why does wizards hate fun? Nothing was wrong with eggs or storm, they weren't oppressive or doing anything harmful.

Eggs took 15 minute turns during extra time trying to win the game on their last possible turn. That's a lot of extra time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

JerryLee posted:

Past Rakdos Cackler and maybe chainwalker, what are you playing that interacts with her and is still good enough when you don't draw her that playing her is better than the alternative 4 drops (or just not playing 4 drops)?

I'm not necessarily just trying to poo poo on the idea, I'm honestly curious to see how you'd build this deck to be really tight.

Would Thrill-Kill Assassin be good enough? 2/3 for 1B, trades with just about anything that isn't pro-black or 3+ power first strike. In an emergency, it can even block Goyf and trade with it! (though if you have to block Goyf you've probably already lost).

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Jenx posted:

Not that top. This top.

That deck looks absolutely miserable for everybody involved, but i'd love to see it played by a control pro just to see their opponent suffer. Codex Shredder seems like the kind of thing that Andrew Cuneo would love winning with.

Niton fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 8, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
There's also Flame Slash. Only Splinter Twin really plays it right now, but it's definitely a card to be aware of if your gameplan is x/4s.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

AnacondaHL posted:

Melira Pod leans on the expensive side now with Voice (at current prices) tech. I was pleased that RG Tron was fairly cheap cheap to buy, expensive sideboard included.

Voice is -sold out- on SCG at $50 a pop / $100 foil :wtc:

That can't be sustainable.. can it?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tharizdun posted:

What is "Robots"? I thought that was just a colloquial name for Affinity.

Robots is neo-Affinity, really. It has less reliance on the actual Affinity mechanic, but plays very similarly with a bunch of low-cost artifacts spearheading a quick kill.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Jenx posted:

But...but that deck looks horrible and bad! How does that even work?!

You get to play with Actual Ancestral Recall and 5/5 Fliers for 1 mana is how it works! You can even win turn 0 against a combo deck! They fetch, you play Archive Trap into Surgical on their sparse wincons :getin:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Stinky Pit posted:

I love Legacy so much, BWR Delver was a thing for like two weekends and suddenly its nowhere to be found, and suddenly Goblins did a thing.

So much fun.

It feels like people have been decrying Goblins as a real player for as long as i've been following the Legacy format, but it's won 3 SCG Opens in that timeframe :confuoot:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Wadjamaloo posted:

It's like the BBE ban though. Jund is just a good stuff.Dec ban a card and they replace it with the next best thing, the deck won't go anywhere and won't really get any worse either. The only thing really oppressive about desthrite was turn 2 Lilli.

BBE was a step in the right direction, since it actively made you not want to play X-spells or important CMC4+ cards, but as it turns out Liliana may have been just as large a contributor in keeping the curve flat. Liliana and Deathrite together just had too much synergy, but i'm skeptical if Deathrite was actually the problem card rather than Lili. It feels like Jund is likely to simply rally around the next-best mana dork for its purposes (Elves of Deep Shadow?) and continue being the valueple it was even before the BBE ban.

vvv Yeah, I wasn't sure how higly Jund valued having a point of power vs the life loss, though I suspect that your mana dorks being able to kill X/1s might be about to be very relevant.

Niton fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 3, 2014

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Time has been really kind to Kamigawa block as a whole, as well. Looking at e CHK price visualizer, I can see 5 cards that are either the core engine of an archetype (Glimpse of Nature, Gifts Ungiven, Sensei's Divining Top) or simply an iconic part of the deck itself (Kiki-Jiki, Through the Breach). There's a few more bit players at common/uncommon as well, like Lava Spike or Desperate Ritual, but those 5 cards alone are a very strong showing for an older large set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tharizdun posted:

Maindeck Relic is an interesting choice.

To expand, is Relic of Progenitus there because graveyard decks are super-dominant, or because it's graveyard decks like Jund that give this deck the most fits?

Also, I always want to run Desperate Ritual in any deck with Blood Moon and Simian Spirit Guide to live the dream of "Mountain, SSG, Desperate Rit, Blood Moon, Go"

To be honest, aside from other Mono-Red decks, I can't really think of many decks that don't interact with the graveyard at all. Any deck that runs Tarmogoyf, Snapcaster Mage, or Eternal Witness can be affected by Relic, which leaves Mono-U (Merfolk?) and Tron as the only decks I can think of, since even Mono-red Burn has Hellspark Elementals in its list sometimes.

When a colorless, cycling card affects so many decks in the format, maindecking it starts to sound way more reasonable just as a defensive option.

Niton fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread