Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Theorycrafting: I expect Eggs to be a pretty big part of the Modern landscape, assuming the Banhammer doesn't hit Lotus Bloom. Some things I'm thinking about as sideboard answers:
Disciple of the Vault
Seal of Fire
Rest in Peace
Stony Silence

The problem is many of these are susceptible to Echoing Truth, but if you had a full suite (so they couldn't hit more than 1 or 2), these could be good right?

Also, how do goons feel about Delay? I think it's a really, really strong counter right now (especially vs control) because it's so cheap and splashable; it's like a Dispel that also hits other stuff sometimes too.

Modern
Second Sunrise is banned.

Vintage
Regrowth is unrestricted.

Standard, Extended, Legacy
No changes

Welp :v:

RIP Eggs, you had a good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a little disappointed they didn't unban anything, especially Preordain or Ponder. I hope they have some kind of new 1 CMC filtering in M13 around their level, even if it's not quite as good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Vampire decks? No. But Liliana makes waves in some big decks like Jund and 4 colour Gifts, and she and Olivia are both playable in Jund.

...which has a roughly 1000$ price tag so that's probably out of the question. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dickeye posted:

Now that Eggs (Best Deck Ever) is done, what's another relatively inexpensive combo deck in Modern? I need a new thing to build while sobbing over the shattered remains of Eggs.

Melira Pod's a decent deck and it's not too pricy to my knowledge.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shavnir posted:

So since my deck of choice just got banned I think I'll go with American control in Portland. I'm going to start with the second place list from the last modern gp but I wanted peoples take: now that eggs is out of the picture is stony silence still worth it for hating on tron and affinity.

I'm not so sure on Affinity, don't you have the Bolts and Helixes to kill most of their creatures that are actually threatening? And definitely for Tron, that card's such a beating for them that I can't see getting rid of it if that match-up's problematic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why on earth would Wizards ban fetchlands when there are completely viable decks that don't use any like RG Tron?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

How about this: do you realize that if fetches were banned then some cards could actually get unbanned as a result? Like Wild Nacatl? Maybe it'd open up space for other cards and deck types to thrive? Maybe all those Zoo decks you're looking at wouldn't have to rely on the powerful fetches and could evolve into different strategies? Maybe strategies that involve dealing with the strategies nearly every other deck would also have to adjust because they too could no longer use fetches?

Well, they could do that.

Or they could reprint something like Price of Progress and force them to adapt that way rather than ban a central cycle in Modern and put thousands of players out hundreds of dollars to enable a 25 cent common.

Both ways work really. :v:

Edit: ^^ Trickbind already exists in Modern, which is the same effect with uncounterability for an extra mana, and there's Shadow of Doubt which is (U/B)(U/B), has the same effect as a Stifle or Trickbind on a fetch and even cantrips to boot, and both of these see pretty paltry amounts of play (though I have seen Shadow of Doubt in Delver decks and some control decks. It's a very good card so I don't get why it doesn't get played more.).

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 24, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChewyLSB posted:

Why exactly do you need price of progress when blood moon already exists. Also Price of Progress doesn't do much against fetchlands because they just fetch basics in response.

For that matter people that think fetchlands are going to be banned are insane.

Sorry, maybe I'm muddling up Legacy and Modern a little bit. In Legacy at least, Price of Progress is an absolute beating because so many decks simply don't bother to run basics anymore. The presence of Price of Progress at least creates an impact in that it forces decks to run at least a few out of necessity. I'd figure it'd apply for Modern too, even more so since the shocklands eat life as they come into play which exacerbates the problem. Factor in manlands, tron pieces, Mutavaults and other ones I'm probably neglecting and I could see Price of Progress doing some very good work in Modern.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mulletstation posted:

Damnit! Welp, I guess I could would leave them main-deck anyway due to the low mana curve and as hate against scapeshift/tron

Might I recommend Flagstones of Trokair? It's a legendary white land that comes into play untapped and fetches you a plains when it's destroyed, either by you or your opponent. Maybe it could be what you're looking for?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If nothing else, this deck makes a compelling argument for why Jace should never get off the Modern banlist, given that a deck that requires a two-card combo to replicate his +2 comes off as decently threatening, let alone without having the other abilities the card has.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jenx posted:

Considering Scapeshift was in the finals of GP Portland, I don't think the deck can really be considered "fringe" or even that rogue, to be honest.

I think that's his point. :v:

I alternate between R/G Tron, RWU Mid-Range and 4cc Gifts. They're all sick decks but I'm less fond of Tron than the other too. All 3 of them have been pretty successful in my area, but I'm looking very much forward to Modern Season again to really see how well they do (right now our modern tourneys are only about ten people since it's the off-season) because Standard royally sucks to me. I don't know which one I'll play when PTQ season starts up though, they're all really good and really fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mulletstation posted:

It was only usable because of Seething Song.

Given that Finkel T8ed with it I would say you can't write it off completely.

I saw a sick play in one of his matches. 7 cards in hand, just goes and drops double rituals, double bolts, another spell I can't recall right now and then double Grapeshot to take his opponent out from 19 life.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

Voice is -sold out- on SCG at $50 a pop / $100 foil :wtc:

That can't be sustainable.. can it?

Absolutely not, although it is a very great 2 drop. Expect it to maybe peak at around 60 and then begin to decline later.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Konstantin posted:

I saw this interesting gimmick combo deck the other day. It used Grinning Ignus and Heartless Summoning to make infinite mana, then killed with Banefire. There are quite a few gimmicks like that in the format that are just too inconsistent or slow to be competitive decks.

How does the deck get the double red to cast and bounce the Ignus?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shavnir posted:

Snapcaster beat down.

Seriously though what deck other than mine or the uw variant runs etc edge and ghost quarter ended masse?

Gifts control does. That deck preys on UWr control.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shavnir posted:

Good God.

That's fair but the deck is also a fringe player. Not really that worried about it.

Yeah, that's certainly true. :sigh:

I wonder why it seems to get so little play? Is it just a sub-par deck or is there some flaw to it I'm missing? I love the crap out of it but it seems to me it would get more play if it were a strong deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shavnir posted:

Its hat trick got a lot worse due to death rite and is about to get even worse still as the ooze enters modern.

I thought if anything Deathrite joining the format made it a little better? It seems like integrating them into the deck didn't hurt it any, that's certain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TenjouUtena posted:

Because it blanks their win condition and pretty much the reason to play the formatdeck (oops)?

Also the list above I would want access to Iona in the 75 somewhere.

Generally if they do have a Deathrite out I just half sigh, Gifts for a removal package and keep on trucking. I'm still up a card for Gifting, after all so it's not that crippling in the long run. Plus my Deathrites can keep theirs in check, and Lingering-Flashback-Lingering tends to leave a lot of decks on a quick clock.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What about Gitaxian Probes/Street Wraith? Probably obvious and the whole issue of known information, but hey, as you said can't mulligan with it, so might as well roll with it.

But is there a difference between doing it with Apostles and with Relentless Rats?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So uh

Apparently UB Mill went 4-0 in a Modern Daily. :stare:

I'm certainly more than a little surprised, but I found that pretty cool and I hope someone repeats.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

What was in it? I figured Glimpse the Unthinkable and Breaking might go a long way with Snapcasters.

No Snaps in the main, there were Augurs and Crabs for creatures and you had your standard good mill spells, it ran 4 of that instant from DGM that exiles creatures from an opponents grave and gives you 3 life per creature and it also ran two surgicals main board, presumably for combo.

Also, it main boarded 3 Mesmeric Orbs.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 18, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That deck looks pretty funny. Anyways, who expects them to ban Goryo's Vengeance? It feels like the burning shoal combo from super early modern: a little to easy to get the turn two kill.

Too easy to disrupt and hate out I would think.

Surgical makes that deck cry pretty badly. And Deathrite Shamans are everywhere so main board hate exists.

How is that deck to play? It looks fun and I wish I'd snapped up more Goryo's when I had the chance.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5310&d=230619

:stare:

So, um.

This seems like a pretty crazy deck to me. Anyone have any thoughts on it? How viable does it look to you as a deck? My first thought was if it got anywhere near prolific it would get banned so loving fast.

Also, I feel like it could use some Street Wraiths mainboard, maybe?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Its completely viable. I played against a similar version last month and I walked into it completely unprepared and not knowing what to expect. It placed around the middle of the tournament overall, but the competition was pretty stiff. The major difference between what I've played against and this deck is that it doesn't rely on border posts to continually bounce their lands back to their hands, which is necessary to get Restore Balance to it's most effective. Its heavy on lands in a deck thats looking to not have many lands on the board.

I really don't know what this version of the deck offers that the older Gargageddon deck doesn't.

It armageddons one turn earlier than gargageddon theoretically would, and it also clears their board and hand fairly well. That seems to be the primary difference to me.

And in regards to Street Wraith, my thoughts were on it reducing nihilith's suspend count by one and thinning the deck to one of the cards the deck needs quicker without costing mana, so it doesn't interfere with a Gargadon or Nihilith's suspend. It doesn't actually lower hand size.

This could have been avoided if I had read the loving card. :negative:

In that case I'm more than a little stumped at the cycler's presence beyond being a method of quick deck thinning.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 21, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Is anyone doing anything to break Plow Under even more? I can't think of anything more backbreaking than the old Plow - E-Witness - Plow line, and I really wanna do that again. Is Jund and gobbos just too fast?

The problem with that is you have decks like Affinity that don't give a poo poo about what happens to their lands beyond the first couple of turns. If you had some ramp and threw in some Pyroclasms it might have a shot or else you'll
never get it off the ground and you'll die horribly to aggro.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I love me a Plow Under but there's far too many actual game ending things to be doing around the mid-game during the 5-mana spot, it's just not good enough in the metagame when most decks are perfectly fine with 3-4 land.

I think a lot of those players generally default to blue decks anyway, but I'm probably wrong. The G/B Rock deck is an interesting choice, is there a decktech or interview with one of them? I'd like to know what the deal is with the singleton Deathmark and why they'd rather not splash red for Bolt. Tectonic Edge I guess? I'd also like to know why Ooze is a 4-of in a format where not a lot of decks end up with many creatures in the yard.

It foils Snapcaster, makes Goyf sad, and is quality grave hate against the grave decks. Seems good enough to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

4 color gifts is awesome and is what I would choose if there were a PTQ/GP next week.

Not sure why he chose Thragtusk over Obstinate Baloth, though.

More easily castable for a 4 colour deck like that, plus being valuetusk and all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

GR Tron is fine, as long as you don't mind getting CRUSHED by combo decks.

edit: VVV clarification yes, the pod matchups can be fine, and you can build a sideboard to beat splinter twin, but every other combo is like welp

There are other combos than those?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of Legacy, was someone planning on making a thread for it? It'd be really nice to have another dedicated format thread.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I know Karnegal and I play it. We complain about the same things w/r/t enchantments even.

Chewy, Oldsrocket and myself also play it to my understanding.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So I ended up getting absolutely steamrolled in my first legacy SCG open with Esper Deathblade. I imagine that's what tends to happen when you've played at most 4 games prior with your deck. :v:

In regard to the matchup against Shardless BUG, what's most critical to consider when playing against them, and what works well to sideboard in against them? They seem like one of the worst matchups for the deck with their sheer card efficiency. The best I can think of is boarding Sword of Feast and Famine or an extra Jitte and try to dominate the board as much as possible, stressing the primary advantage over them - the equipment the deck carries.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the guy actually was running Massacre, incidentally. :v:

The lingering souls seem like a neat idea, if you swapped out those for the Abrupt Decas our lists would be pretty much identical for the mainboard. How useful have they been? Do you find them getting Deathrited frequently, or do you hold onto them until you can cast -> flashback?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Where's the best place to look up legacy results? I love looking at what the top decks are, and it's always nice to get some sideboarding ideas by looking at the ones that have been successful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm just putting together Shardless BUG and I haven't really played constructed in quite a while. My question is, does the new legendary rule affect Legacy as much as I think it does? Before in blue mirrors you could bait Force or win the counter war to resolve your Jace first which usually wins you the game.

It significantly improves your planeswalkers for one. I won a match against storm by going double LotV to disrupt their storm count, something that wasn't possible previously.

I say the first past the Jace post system is still alive and well though. Sticking one before your opponent gives a big lead on them, and it will usually lead to opposing Jaces dying.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I am seriously digging this suspend-balance list.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5471&d=231627

It's a lot like Living End but it invalidates graveyard hate. I think the extra suspend creatures are a good addition.

I might have to pick up a playset of restore balances when I can.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So SCG had a tournament in Baltimore yesterday for Legacy.

The winner was loving Painter combo. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5521

That decks like that can win makes me love Legacy so much.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Yeah actually I like this guy's list. Isn't the usual Painter Grindstone deck Grixis? Painter lets you pitch any card to Force, and you can play Brainstorm over Top, and black lets you splash for Thoughtseize or Duress.

This guy is instead playing a Blood Moon deck and it's perfect for how greedy 3 color decks have become.

Maybe this victory will lead to a temporary cutback on how tightly packed full of duals tourney decks are?

Or it'll probably just be an awesome blip on the radar and nothing will actually shift. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Bans are released quarterly on the 1st (or something like that), but LotV is about the farthest thing from banning.

Anything in Modern or Legacy right now that are poised to get the banhammer? Nothing's coming to mind for me right now but there could always be one of those inexplicable bannings that happens periodically.

Edit: vvvvv I hope not, Pod is my favorite card and probably the next Modern deck I'll build, and it being exiled to the realm of unplayable cards would be the absolute worst. I'm not sure the similarities it has to Survival will be what gets it banned though, Survival Vine was a monster of consistency in Legacy that would regularly drop multiple Vengevines out on turn 3, which Pod isn't really capable of. I think you're right that Pod only gets better as they print more creatures with CiP/Die abilities though.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 29, 2013

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is Pod receiving enough use where that's an issue though? It's hardly dominant, there were no pod decks at the World Championships in spite of Pod being solid (particularly because it would have been public enemy number 1), and you regularly see tons of decks that aren't Pod around.

Wizards banning Pod would be a serious mistake that would kill 2 entire Modern archetypes. If Pod really going to kill Modern, print some kind of cantripping hoser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That win makes me feel really loving vindicated on Young Pyromancer. Did anyone watch any matches with the deck and see how it was played? Do you think you could describe anything that you remember?

• Locked thread