Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So is this the place for discussion on new Modern brews or is that still for the brewhaus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I questioned Durette about that deck in the main thread, so I dug up the link.

I've only played across from Living End, and that does look interesting and fun.

I'm still new to Modern and don't get to play often, though my LGS has been doing occasional Modern FNMs these last few months, I think it's the third next week. I've been playing Affinity, which I think may have fallen out of favor of late, but I can't saw why, but it was fairly inexpensive, being re-purposed from a Standard deck, and I think you might be able to do without the Blinkmoth Nexuses and Arcbound Ravagers.

Looking forward, I'm putting together a Goblin tribal deck which I'm hoping will be as punchy as Affinity but harder to hate, and I'd like to experiment with some weird ideas that have come to me.

I'm not sure if it would be putting too much in one place, but I'd like to do something with Painter's Servant that turns every card, spell and permanent Black, then exploit stuff that targets black (Celestial Purge) or let me make an informed color pick (Oona) or lets me generally make an oppressive board state (Teysa, Orzhov Scion being able to exile anyone over and over, Iona stopping them casting anything at all) I'm also considering exploiting death triggers with Blood Artist or possibly Bitter Ordeal. Specifically bring Crypt Champion into play, have him bring up a Phantasmal Image which copies him and creates and infinite loop. If I have an artist out I win, if I have Teysa and Servant out I get infinite Spirits, if I cast Bitter Ordeal after I win. Helpfully Crypt Champion can also fetch Teysa, aritst or Painter's Servant from the grave. I think this all works with self-mill and reanimation via Unburial Rites, so one last thing I'm considering is Plunge into Darkness with plenty of creatures out, or a depleted library, exile all but one card with the second ability and win off of a Laboratory Maniac.

I'm still trying to finalize a list, maybe I'm not explaining it well and maybe it's going to be too crowded, but I would like to see what I can do with this.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I asked about the Onslaught fetches a little while ago, but who can really say? Is having 10 fetches much better than 5? Suppose I'm looking at it from a Modern centric perspective, but that's why they reprinted the shocks in the first place.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'd be interested to see how a theoretical reprint of Onslaught fetches in standard would be valued and what impact it would have on the prices of the Zendikar ones. Would they all level out around the same area, or would the Zendikar ones retain a greater value?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

There's a few things I think someone might find exploits with, Hidden Strings for one, Council of the Absolute, Blaze Commando perhaps. Maybe not but it seems like the potential is there or could appear down the line. Maybe some combination of Master of Cruelties with Ninja or Burn? I'm perhaps not familiar enough with enough Modern archetypes to fit anything into one. Not really anything for Affinity but we needn't expect anything for that until Return to Scars of New Phyrexia or whatever.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I agree Debt Collector may have it's uses, and I'm guessing you mean mostly for Beck of Beck//Call? I'd probably just rather keep Thoughtcast though.

I just realized that if I'm able to get off my Teysa (Orzhov Scion) exploit off to make her spirits black (Glamerdye on her to change references to white to black or Painter's Servant picking Black) then Maw of the Obzedat lets me give creatures +∞/+∞. Nom nom nom.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Nah, the idea just amuses me and uses a bunch of cards I think are cool. Did you say that out of genuine interest or as a way of saying "no, the idea sucks"?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, the idea would be to have things that can help ensure that I can get it off. Ways to get guys back from the graveyard like Sun Titan and Grave Champion (I'm aware of the risks there, might be dealt with using Nihil Spellbomb) Unburial Rites and Mimic Vat. If I use Glamerdye I'm using blue anyway and should look at Gifts, self mill and counterspells.

One idea I think I mentioned a while back was using Celestial Purge as untra-flexible removal by using it with a Painter's Servant out, which might be a bit too cute if I'm against anything without Black permanents before I find one. Pretty sure I can't use Glamerdye on Purge to let it target another color, it would need to be red or black at the point of casting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Beck Scrivener combo sounds good, if only it didn't call for 3 colours and an even number of cards in hand. Got a set of Scriviner incoming, maybe it's worth a go.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I would definitely drop Glimmervoid from my affinity deck for artifact lands, but I don't know if I'd want to get rid of the Nexuses.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think most Affinity decks run Blood Moon in the side too, at least those running the red burn spells.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much mainstay Modern creature removal is not White or Black? Was just wondering how troublesome Blood Baron of Vizkopa would be in the format. Probably the main concern is him just getting countered, but do Red or Green have anything? I expect there are a bunch of burn spells in addition to Mizzium Mortars (does that see Modern play?) that will see him off too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

and so is Robots.

Though probably $40 more than a couple of weeks ago now Mox Opal has gone up. Blinkmoth Nexus and Arcbound Ravager may become cheaper though, that just leaves Glimmervoid as the money card in there, and it may be reprinted yet.

If you have group willing to play test with loan cards or proxies that's probably the way.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

Do you think this is stable, or is it just hype over the new legend rule? I have a foil Russian one I'd like to offload for a bunch.

I'm not the best for long-term speculation, but I don't think I see it going higher unless the new rules turn out to be even better than expected for it. Plus as far as I know it's only used in Affinity/Robots where a lot of people already fed spare Opals to Ravagers. I think it's more likely to go down than up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, if there's a distinction I don't know what it is.

I wonder how long it will be until something is printed to change what gets played in the archetype? A decent artifact may show up from time to time, but you seem to need an artifact set for creatures. Guess Steel Overseer is from a Core Set.

Edit: yeah, I guess it's an acknowledgement that it doesn’t actually use Affinity any more.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Idea- Esper control with Duskmantle Seer and Lapse of Certainty. Counter something big and make them pay life for it as it comes back yo hand. Might not be good against aggro. Would like to see if Lapse is good for non blue control, maybe better to mill the countered card.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

How many creatures (token or otherwise) can you realistically get out in the first two or three turns? I'm considering a deck where a win con would be to play Plunge into Darkness entwined with sufficient creatures out that I can get enough life on the first part of the spell I can exile my whole library with the second, picking up a Laboratory Maniac and playing him to win on the next draw, or to leave one card in the library, giving me another turn to cast him and play a draw spell. It may work better as one option out of several for this deck, but at the very least I should see how best to get the creatures out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So Archangel of Thune and Kitchen Finks seem like a good combo. If Finks Persist back into play they gain a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1, becoming no counters whilst the Angel grows. Sac outlet lets me abuse the gently caress out of this.

Think the idea's a goer, perhaps just add Archangel to Pod? Need to explore how to accelerate to the Angel or a good control or lifegain frame.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

What was in it? I figured Glimpse the Unthinkable and Breaking might go a long way with Snapcasters.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Modern FNM tonight, came second of 14 or so with Affinity even though I dropped a game to BW tokens that got Spectral Procession 3 turns in a row after Virtue in the first game, and Stoney Silence t2 after sideboarding neutering Opal.

Is there an answer besides win the first game and hope they don't draw Stoney after boarding? I have Spellskites for removal spells at least. I guess I should priortize dropping Galcanic Blast and Thoughtcast in my own boarding if I expect to see it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5310&d=230619

:stare:

So, um.

This seems like a pretty crazy deck to me. Anyone have any thoughts on it? How viable does it look to you as a deck? My first thought was if it got anywhere near prolific it would get banned so loving fast.

Also, I feel like it could use some Street Wraiths mainboard, maybe?

Not quite figured it out yet, but it has certain similarities to Living End, only it's Restore Balance at the end of the Cascade. Worst case it wankers up the opponent's board presence as you likely have fewer lands and creatures. I see your point on Street Wraith as you can shrink your hand when the time comes. And if you have a big Creature susspended you have plenty of fodder for them and they bring the pain next turn. I think I like it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Might try a couple of Back to Nature in my Affinity sideboard in case Bogle catches on here, and for Stoney Silence. Or maybe Ray of Revelation, either way I may need the mana open when the enchantment comes down.

I actually kind of dig Bogle though, might try to get the bits together if I can get a good price on Coronets.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

Of course, next game, on my turn one, I duressed his tendrils, then surgically extracted them all out of his deck. I won the match.

Out of interest, when you use things like Surgical Extraction in MTGO, do you still get to snoop through their library?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

So SCG had a tournament in Baltimore yesterday for Legacy.

The winner was loving Painter combo. http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5521

That decks like that can win makes me love Legacy so much.

I can't seem to figure this deck out, how does it work? I guess you can make everything Blue and kill 'em with Jeya, there's more than that, right?

Edit: I guess you can do a lot with the sorceries and instants, just thought it would be too slow to get moving.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 30, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

My Affinity beat an interesting Simic deck yesterday to win Modern FNM, which I think might have some potential with some thought and time (he conceived it that day) Don't have a list but I think this ideal play he got off at one point illustrates how it works:

T1: Forest, BoP
T2: Mutavault, Descendants' Path
T3: Activate Mutavault, Descendants' Path reveals Emrakul, is cast for free

Obviously he had other big guys, and stuff like Auguary Owl that accelerate through the library and get in the way of attackers, and other Changelings for the Path cheat.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Zoness posted:

DRS is basically the new Noble Hierarch because 2 toughness vs 1 is a big deal in the context of Electrolyze.

You could do something crazy like drs, birds, and Noble Hierarch. The combo is a neat idea but I think it ends up being a little less consistent and/or powerful than splinter twin or pod.

Still neat to think about though.

Deathrite Shaman (who I'm guessing is DRS) might be good so long as you open with a Fetch land.

Brutalizer Exarch is in color and lets you tutor out a creature and put it on top of the Library. 6 mana and at sorcery speed, so not really ideal. I guess at least you could cheat it out on Path, but you would need a way to then skip your draw step.

Congregation at Dawn definitely fits the bill, letting you fix that creature is on top of your library at instant speed.

Was going to suggest Cream of the Crop, to trigger on smaller guys coming in by chance on Path, but it only fixes the next draw, rather than the path trigger in that case. Not useless but not ideal either.

Judge Unworthy? Doesn't Tutor but it does let you Scry 3 at instant, and if you do find Emrakul you'll take out an attacker. Needs someone to attack though. Riddle of Lightning is more flexible, but also expensive.

Liliana Vess's -2 or Tunnel Vision? As you probably gather I'm disregarding colours at this point.

Mwonvuli Beast Tracker tutors a card to the top of the library, but it needs to have deathtouch, hexproof, reach, or trample. Emrukul doesn't have any of those, but maybe Blightsteel Colossus? There's the possibility of Path to Exile or something though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

There are definitely Jund lists that splash white for PtE and Ajani Vengeant. I am not sure what they would cut for Wild Nacatl though.

I played against the TO and a borrowed "White Jund" deck last modern event I went to. Think it's the only time I've used the single Island in my Affinity deck. He had Ajani, Path and Lingering souls.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Have there ever been decks that exploited all it's creatures or spells being a particular combination of colours? I got the idea looking for WB hybrid creatures for my commander deck and noticing Deathbringer Liege could deliver a lot of value to a deck with all spells in those colours. I also like Edge of Divinity and there are two BW creatures with lifelink (or the pre-keyword version) at 1-2 mana. I also like the idea of discarding Evershrike, say to LotV, with Edge of Divinity in hand and being able to flash in a 7/7 flyer with lifelink for 3 mana. Thought there might be Devotion potential to use with Nykthos and possibly Gray Merchant as well.

Edit: Actually, possibly moving away from the "Monohybrid BW" idea, Evershrike discarded into the GY then Flashed in with something like Rancor or Spirit Link seems pretty good. With Rancor it flashes in as a 6/4 flying trample for 3 mana. Aspect of Mongoose gives it shroud as a 4/4, but you can't make it any bigger or do anything to get it past blockers. Though I guess you could just suicide it and return it with a different aura.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 23, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm playing Affinity, what should I do against Tron? Given Stony Silence seems kind of bad for me.

And what should I play Blood Moon against, besides Scapeshift? Modern FNM tomorrow and it came up last time, as did Tron.

Think I need to put Ethersworn Canonist back into the sideboard, had to play against Storm, and I think it might help with Eggs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've said it before, but I like the idea, thematically, of leading into a Return to Zendikar by creating a golden age of mana availability in super-standard (shocks with fetches) before going into a mana-deprived setting of Zendikar, where it's the basics that really matter.

Has anyone here won GP byes through seasonal Planeswalker Points? I got 70 points from a PTQ but realized that the season is only until early March. 400 points in 3 months sounds like a lot from just FNM and GPTs and maybe a PTQ, do you need to go crosscountry to multiple PTQs to expect to make that?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'll probably not get any byes for Manchester, but a decent performance there should get me one for Utrect.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tharizdun posted:

Victim of Night is almost always better, because Go for the Throat is dead vs Affinity, unless you're supremely worried about Huntmaster of the Fells or Tidehollow Sculler

GftT doesn't hit Sculler either.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Esper's theme was coloured artifacts, rather than having a keyword, any creature in Esper's colours was an artifact creature.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm slowly assembly the components of a Breakfast Burrito deck, but also have a Modern Affinity deck and am looking at getting Ancient Tombs for the Legacy version. Can either one be said to be better than the other in the current meta?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

As an Affinity player, I am far less concerned about something I don't expect to see until t5 than something I can expect at t4. Current version of Eggs will reliably go off before then too, so if you can't ramp to it or stall such decks it seems pretty irrelevant.

I think I'm going to look at exploiting Painter's Servant in Modern again. Probably still in BW for old Teysa, but I got thinking just stuff with protection from a colour might be good, like Knight of Glory and Blood Baron when I make everything Black. And Celestial Purge after a Servant can be 2CMC land removal, but might need to be a sideboard card for how conditional it is, unless I can get to Servant more reliably.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Veyrall posted:

Anyone got any recommendations? Both for decks and for proxy-making supplies.

For supplies I think just magiccards.info, a printer, basic land and sleeves.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

The most fair deck is Breakfast Burrito because it wins or loses to a bunch of cards on turn 1 and then you get to go get lunch while everyone else spends an hour at turns.

Quick question about Breakfast Burrito, now I have the maindeck and am trying to get the sideboard together: I understand why you want Giant Solifuge to replace Triskelion in case they bring in Leyline of Sanctity, but why not make that the maindeck wincon? Is there something some decks can do about a T1 hasty hexproof trampler?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Is there an article somewhere that has kind of a mid-level view of the Modern metagame? For instance, what is the difference between Melira Pod and Kiki Pod besides which infinite combo they've thrown in? I've been reading some articles on Channel Fireball, TCGplayer, SCG etc. Melissa DeTora's articles have been very helpful. I've watched some play videos, too. But I don't have the solid background of what the movers and shakers are in Modern and what to look out for. Does anyone have any pointers?
Thanks!

You could read the OPs to the various modern archetype threads on MTGSalvation (and absolutely no further) as a lot of them explain the theory of the deck, how they play in established matchups and so on. Or just know that as you're playing affinity if how the other deck plays becomes relevant you may well have already lost. Learn all the shenanigans you can get up to with Ravager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I feel like UWR and Affinity are the most impervious to bans

To split hairs, to further bans. There's like 6 Affinity-relevant bans in place already.

• Locked thread