Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden

Leticia not-so-carefully throws Aidan inside one of the dumpsters before turning to the nightclub, entering it while scratching her head. "Yeah, well, that's one problem taken care of. Don't think anyone will mess with the kid as long as he's safely alongside the rest of the trash. In any case that ain't my problem anymore." She walks to Zhang and Santiago after her return, crossing her arms. "Now what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

"Gimme a second here." Zhang San looks at the elevator panel for a moment, then sighs and rips it open. "Ok, I think I can override their elevator lock..."

KZA, --+++4 = 4 to Overcome whatever is locking the elevator.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Marcus

Kuba offers Marcus a drink on the house. "Less bored than usual. Dream cola?"

Aidan

If/when Aidan wakes up he finds himself sharing the dumpster with a guard who looks a lot like the shapeshifter, only unconscious, bloody and missing her keycard.

Hmm.

Zhang San, Leticia, Santiago, etc.

Zhang San successfully convinces the elevator he has Tzu-Hsi's keycard, and it slides open.

While it does, that Bachiatari guy Jyo was talking to slides into the corridor, gun at the ready. He relaxes when he sees you and not guards, though, and gives you a professional nod.

"You going up?"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Marcus

"Thank you, so Why haven't you fled?" he asked simply, peering at the drink and the man "Actually could I get one of those to go, I have a pissed of cola afficianado who might enjoy it"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

"Bachiatari." Zhang San considers it. "As long as you're only shooting dogs as usual, you're welcome to tag along."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden

"Who's that guy again?" Leticia shrugs and enters the elevator. "Never mind, let's just go up and finish this up before dumpster kid wakes up."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kuba

"I thought I was leaving with you guys." Marcus gets his drink.

Elevator

Bachiatari nods. "Ho Fong's annoyed a few people in this city. Icing his cat should be a cool twenty grand, after expenses."

The doors close. Bachiatari taps his foot idly.

Hitmen are terrible at small talk.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Marcus

"Well you can... I'm assuming you can't do that of your own will considering you are still here right?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden

"Wow, helping a murderer for hire. Really what I expected from people who are supposed to enforce the law." Leticia says... "Sarcastically. Because I'm being sarcastic right now, BEE TEE DOUBLE." She then steps inside the elevator and waits for it to close. "Seriously, we kind of have to take this guy to the normal cops. You know, if we want to still be committed to professionalism and morality." Leticia keeps nodding at the Bachiatari guy while saying that.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Santiago - FP: 1 -> 2

For some reason, Santiago appeared to be uncomfortable all of a sudden. Glancing to his sides every few seconds and shifting in place, something seemed to be on the back of his mind. "So...what do we do once this blows over? Club hopping doesn't sound as good when it's 'cause of work. Maybe a concert hall? Aidan could sleep quietly and I bet Marcus loves that stuff." He said, laughing lamely. It was very obvious something was wrong with him. At Leticia's words, however, he seemed to get his thoughts in order and relaxed a little. "Hey, don't look at me for that, I'm not supposed to show my face to anyone. Orders and all because people freak out when a kid is on the job. You know something about that, right? Don't magical girls get adults freaking out over them taking on law enforcement jobs?"

Compelling Double-Timing Double Agent to let slip something Santiago should not know just from working for the OOI, AKA Leticia's past.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 2, 2013

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden

"Mate." Leticia just stares hard at Santiago. "Don't ask me about being a Magical Girl ever again, okay..." She stops for a minute, then perks up like a jolt of lightning passed through her. "Wait a minute, h-how did you knew I was one? Fei didn't told me you guys got my files!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

Zhang sighs. "Miss Durden, the entire point of the OOI is that we are not beholden to normal cops. Sometimes, compromises have to be made." Like bullying a former triad hitman into working for you as a wet works operative. "Bachiatari here is very specialized. He breaks into the houses of people who have upset someone quite a lot and shoots their pets. No harm to innocents, no murders. Out there-" he gestures back toward the main floor- "there are probably 6 people guilty of murder, another dozen assaults, one or two kidnappings, and probably light treason for flavor." He sighs. "In this elevator alone we have at least one murderer. And I don't mean Mr. Bachiatari." Unconsciously, he checks the safety on his weapon. "Up above us, we have someone who is probably directly responsible for the murder of countless people. Miss Durden, I don't have time to waste hassling someone who shoots dogs. Professionalism means prioritizing and frankly, triage. Especially in this town. Morality got lost in an alleyway somewhere and is presently unconscious with its wallet gone."

He ignores the magical girl crack. Everyone has things in their past they'd rather not be brought up.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Santiago - FP: 2

"Wait, we didn't...Gah!" Thrown off by Leticia's outburst, Santiago began acting defensively once again. "poo poo poo poo poo poo! I forgot about it! She's one of Ragna's potential recruits!" His Soul Network contact had spoken fondly of the magical girls of Australia before. He could see why now, but remembering his other job's duties had caused him to make a huge mistake. "How the hell could I not know you? You're famous! Everybody knows about the Fairy Circle! I think they still sell plushies of you on the net! You don't meet a celebrity everyday in this job, y'know? My name's Santiago. Pleasure to meet you, Sugary Idol Lettie!" Trying his best to put on a casual grin, Santiago extended a hand. Maybe a little friendliness would help him smooth over his blunder?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

There's a quiet ping inside Zhang San's HUD. File upcoming recording under blackmail?
>y

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden - 2 FP

"Y-you know, shooting their pets is even worse! They haven't even had done nothing wrong, compared to I don't know, whatever scumbag this guy was hired to knock. Not to mention that it's still a crime, even though it's... Well, downright ridiculous when you think about it." She shrugs but lifts an eyebrow once Zhang mentions the "murderer" in the Elevator. "...Rrrright. Just my luck on getting partnered with people, then."

Compelling Sugary Idol Magical Lettie!

She then freezes when Santiago mentions the dreaded Fairy Circle. The plushies. She tried to buy all of them in the internet to dispose and burn the drat things, but her measly paycheck prevented her from succeeding. Then he talks the dreaded name. The one she tries to forget, yet needs to yell every time she needs to activate her powers, the name that her scimitars are bound to, the name that THE CHOSE WHEN SHE WAS A TEENAGER THAT DIDN'T KNEW BETTER!

"Ah, of course, Santiago. Let's shake our hands." Leticia's grin is wolfish as she grabs his hand and tries to throw him aside with a judo maneuver.

<Plutonis> !r fudge+2
<Krysmbot> Plutonis, +/+-+2 = 3

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Santiago's smile broadened. Whew, he was in the clear. "Sure! I bet working together's gonna be a great tAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

His comment was interrupted by the sudden judo throw he was subjected to. Though he managed to roll with it and didn't end up too badly hurt, Tiago was shocked. What was that for? Was she onto him? Nah, he hadn't blown his cover like that. Then...

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh. It all made sense now. "Man, you got a really good arm. You been training to keep yourself from rusting since that gig? That was some good stuff there." Tightening his grip on Leticia's hand, he tried to shake it up and down enthusiastically (or rather, forward and backward, as he was now on the floor). "Looks like we got someone who knows how to cover our backs, Zhang. There any chance the OOI command was murdered and replaced by cultists? I'd never expect something like this out of them." He said, his good humor returning to him. "No wonder I heard good things about her. I've GOT to get her on the Network's payroll!"

Leticia gains a Suitably Impressed boost to use against Santiago because his roll result leads to a tie!

Transient People fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 2, 2013

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Kuba

"I guess. Once your eldritch friend finishes up I'll go."

Meanwhile...

ding

Friday February 10 2119, 8:05PM CST
Location: Ho Fong's Hidden Home, North Chengbei Road Subdistrict, Deng Xiaoping Memorial Arcology

Aspects: Luxurious As Hell, ???

Ho Fong snagged some pretty good digs here. Everything is quiet - it's not like he's expecting visitors. The occult hanzi in some of the paintings suggests you might not want to rest easy just yet, though.

Bachiatari slides out of the elevator and checks a door. "If it makes you feel better, wizard familiars are usually evil. Cat's probably a demon or some poo poo."

"Looks like it's all boring rooms on this side. Pet territory. I gotta scope this out. I'll stay out of your way."

He checks his gun is loaded and starts searching the dining hall for anything feline.

By the way, I've mentioned this to most of you but just so we're clear - if a player disappears from the game I'm assuming they stay on in the background somewhere, with Fanghua at least. If any of you disappeared posters are still reading and want to pop back in give a heads-up OOC and post away. :toot:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden - 2 FP

"Had a familiar for some time, too." That drat cutesy super-intelligent wallaby. He sure made for good publicity and plushies, but he kept pissing and making GBS threads everywhere, and was a drat lech as well! It got transferred to another OOI facility after she retired, but with her luck, it could have ascended to a Section Leader while she languished on this place.

She keeps looking behind and giving Santiago the stinkeye while carefully searching the hallway. "Just need to finish this as soon as possible... *grumble*"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Right. Don't want to stay in this dump for too long." Santiago said, nodding in agreement as he dusted himself off and readied himself. "I got the right. You guys take the left." As he opened the closest door slowly, his expression turned to a thoughtful frown. "A familiar? I don't remember that being mentioned. Wonder what happened to it..."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

"Minds on the mission, you two." Zhang San takes a breaching position behind Santiago. "One door at a time. Splitting up in a wizard's sanctum is often lethal." As Santiago opens the door, he immediately sweeps the area, checking for hostiles.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Right Door - Sitting Room

Looks like you've busted Ho Fong's luxurious furniture racket!

Seriously though, the room beyond is a lounge. There's a lovely carpet, decorations, wall scrolls, the works. Some fine couches and chairs sit in a rough circle around a paper-thin screen mounted on the wall, and there's a screen at the back which should probably contain a hidden guard - it's open and empty, though.

It hasn't been used recently, but there's plenty of clutter and books here if you want to sift through it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

"Fanghua, talk to me- any of these books look interesting?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden - 2 FP

Leticia walks to the first screen where the chairs and couches are around and tries to tug it off the wall. "Must be a safe here or something."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Putting the safe here? Nah, that's too old-fashioned. It's probably somewhere nobody'd think about looking - like under the floorboards beside the elevator. What are the chances that Ho Fong likes being that old school with his treasures?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Fanghua

Your augmented reality shades (or whatever you're using) light up as Fanghua runs a quick recognition scan on the book titles for you.

"Shelves are mostly harmless books and manga. Some occult books on that coffee table under the data pad. I Ching, Dimensolatreia ... hold on... one of the Seven Cryptical Books. Can't make out the number."

The stack of books is helpfully outlined. Fanghua chooses a nice crimson colour in case you were thinking occult books aren't dangerous or something.

Screen

The areas behind the screens continue to be empty. Leticia can see discreet cameras ready to spy on Ho Fong's visitors behind them, though.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 2, 2013

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Marcus

"How exactly is he going to do that?" he asked, raising a brow and drinking the cola.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden - 2 FP

Leticia makes an unnecessarily rude gesture to the camera. "Hey wanker, just save us the effort and surrender already, ok? Or else I'm going to get mad and beat you a bit before arresting you!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

"Please stop warning the dangerous wizard that we're coming," grumbles Zhang as he grabs the relevant titles. "I'll have to flip through these later. Or more accurately..."

Reamer? Retrieve safety protocols for handling and keep them handy...

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

At Zhang's words, Santiago shrugged. "Dangerous? I think you've got him confused with someone else Zhang. A guy with a top of the line sniper rifle is dangerous. A crazy bastard soaked from head to toe in dark energy is dangerous. A two-bit mobster with attitude doesn't even rate. I mean, what's the worst he could've prepared for us?"

Would a compel of Hunter in Someone Else's Hunting Grounds to tempt fate with that statement be worth a Fate Point here?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Zhang San

"Last guy the Golden Dragons caught trying to assassinate their wizards, as I recall, they slowly flayed while still alive," says Zhang thoughtfully. "Then they sacrificed his soul to Gaa'haka, Dragon of the Gates, and killed everyone who helped him in the same way." He shrugs. "I mean, I don't think they'll be able to take us down, but it never hurts to be careful. It does hurt to be flayed. A lot."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"Well yeah. Little men can be cruel. That's why there's big boys like us to keep them in check." Santiago said, nodding. "I thought dragons were just a myth though. You're telling me they're real?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden - 2 FP

"Oh for gently caress's sake." Leticia spits on the floor and gives Santiago an annoyed stare. "Don't you say that loving phrase again. You know how many people died saying 'how it could get worse'? A loving lot!" And indeed, she is right! Time Shadow Syndrome let her take a look on many of those deaths in first person as well, some of them even flayings as well!

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Crossing his arms, Santiago shrugged. "Yeah, and you know what the difference between them and me is? I got what it takes to handle anything that comes my way! I didn't earn a continental jurisdiction because of favoritism! Hell, you know what? Show me a dragon right here, right now, and I'll shoot it down. No matter how big and nasty something might be, it ain't nastier than the White Light!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden - 2 FP

"You drat idiot! Stop doing that, damnit! Seriously, do I have to throw you into the elevator shaft this time for Chrissakes?!"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Marcus

He tapped into comms "Aidan this fine fellow at the bar says you are going to Free him, how is that going?" he asked "Also how are things behind the scenes?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Santiago - FP: 2 -> 3

In response to Leticia's reaction, Santiago raised his hands up in a pacifying gesture. "Jeeze, Letty, calm down! It's not like I'm doing this to mess with you or something. If it bugs you so much I'll keep it down. I'm gonna go. Looks like you guys have this room under control, anyway. Wonder where the hell the cat went, anyway..." Muttering to himself, Santiago headed for the next door and threw it open wide, distracted.

Time to collect on that compel above!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
The Library

This room is bigger! Santiago finds himself standing before row upon row of shelves, each one stuffed with scrolls. Sometimes, there are books. An antique table with an open book laying on it sits nearby, but it does not look particularly interesting compared to the other books.

A cat is sitting on one of the chairs and licking itself.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leticia Durden - 2 FP

"If you call me Letty ever again, you are going to learn how to sit on the toilet when you go take a leak." Letty mumbles as she follows the idiot Santiago into the room. She tries not to d'aww at the kitty, but instead she just goes in its direction and extends her hand, expecting a catte high-five.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Looking at the library, Santiago shrugged. "Looks like this guy really loves reading. Not that I can blame him, there's worse ways to spend your time." Approaching one of the shelves, he grabbed one of the scrolls. "Lesse, now what's this about?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Okay So

The cat suddenly becomes a much bigger and less cat-like cat and tries to eat Santiago's face.

What is this thing? What are its skills and aspects? Does it have Weapon:2?! Let's find out together!

<Krysmbot> Ettin, +//-+5 = 5
<Ettin> miao
<Ettin> it totally has w:2 btw

• Locked thread