Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

My understanding is that it was bought in a liquidation auction, in which case they could've snagged a real bargain.

They were bidding against a Kickstarter, which means hat it might be perceived value based on the social metrics.

Edit: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/teampix/homeworld-touch-ios-android-and-homeworld-3-pc-mac/posts

Hav fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sources are saying they put in $1.35 million for the Homeworld franchise, which they easily made on BL2.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Neurolimal posted:

straight up stealing a short films aesthetic without any credit

The other stuff I was vaguely aware of but what's the story here?

USR-Atlas
Mar 30, 2011
Soiled Meat

CommissarMega posted:

Where the hell did Gearbox get the money to buy the IP :psyduck: ?! How much money did Sega give them? Did the Borderlands games really sell that well?

Can't imagine the Homeworld IP is worth a ton of money, it was a cult game. THQ bought it for only a few million I recall back before they imploded.

Also most of the people responsible for Homeworld are gone from Relic, Blackbird games has some of the original team working on their spiritual sequel Shipbreakers.

Could be a lot worse people than Gearbox take a stab at another Homeworld game, imagine if EA, Activation, Crytek, Bethesda got their hands on it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

At least we're getting digital releases of Homeworld 1 and 2 from this, but probably not on GOG like everyone wants.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zeether posted:

At least we're getting digital releases of Homeworld 1 and 2 from this, but probably not on GOG like everyone wants.

Well, hopefully Gearbox touches them up then, because neither H1, H2, or Cata work out of the box on Win7/8, as I'm learning right now.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Gearbox needs to buy the SoTS IP too, and make an HW style game using SoTS ship designs.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Zeether posted:

What happened to cataclysm anyway? Did it end in some IP hell where noone can touch it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Well Randy has at least two years to think up of an excuse for this tanking.

Also incoming, two years of Karan S'jet butt concept art.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

peter gabriel posted:

My understanding is that it was bought in a liquidation auction, in which case they could've snagged a real bargain.

Well I hear Paradox and Stardock were in the running too; surely they could have had a few more dollars than Gearbox. Mind you, I might be mentally inflating their finances because I'm a fan :shobon:

That said, someone proposed that the following trailer is Paradox's way of saying 'Sorry we didn't get the IP':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxxnq5YAVHw

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

This is like Michael Jordan announcing he's going to play Major League Baseball.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pilchenstein posted:

The other stuff I was vaguely aware of but what's the story here?

When Borderlands 1 was announced, the art style used in the game was far more realistic, as seen here and here. Sometime in late 2008, they contacted the dude that made CODEHUNTERS for storyboarding and cutscene work but nothing came of it. Cut to 2009 and Borderlands' entire aesthetic style has completely shifted to that of CODEHUNTERS without giving the creator so much as a whit of credit while the art team at Gearbox is credited as being amazing and revolutionary. Some people say it's a coincidence but it does stink of outright plagiarism.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vanderdeath posted:

When Borderlands 1 was announced, the art style used in the game was far more realistic, as seen here and here. Sometime in late 2008, they contacted the dude that made CODEHUNTERS for storyboarding and cutscene work but nothing came of it. Cut to 2009 and Borderlands' entire aesthetic style has completely shifted to that of CODEHUNTERS without giving the creator so much as a whit of credit while the art team at Gearbox is credited as being amazing and revolutionary. Some people say it's a coincidence but it does stink of outright plagiarism.

Also BL 2 and the stolen artwork:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/369695/borderlands-2-artist-caught-copying-professional-illustrators-work-update/

Gotta love Gearbox!

Edit: Do not read the comments on that page unless you have a home lobotomy kit nearby.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 23, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Erik Kain put together a great feature on the CodeHunters thing, along with more examples of Gearbox's theft.

I love how perfectly scummy this Randy Pitchford quote is:

"I would like to thank news sites who chose to share the awesome work in Code Hunters with their readers. It’s great content and one can no doubt imagine that a number of artists and designers at Gearbox were inspired and influenced by it. It was inspiring to me when “The Incredibles” was clearly a big source of influence for titles like Battlefield Heroes and Team Fortress 2 (and other amazing games and media)."

He is the king at being self-serving while technically seeming nice on the surface.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If they could just "steal" the entire design doc of the original Homeworld 2 before the sudden shift in development, that'd be great. But I think instead I'm just going to love the originals what they were and live with the fact that this franchise is gone. What a sub-par dev house known for FPS' and lovely work plan on doing with an RTS game, I don't think I want to find out.

Of course the game wasn't exactly in good hands at Relic, either - the founding team that was behind their first titles has long since left. Look at the poo poo they've churned out lately.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

USR-Atlas posted:

Could be a lot worse people than Gearbox take a stab at another Homeworld game, imagine if EA, Activation, Crytek, Bethesda got their hands on it.

None of that would be worse than what has happened. Considering most of those are publishers with a ton of great games under their belts, while Gearbox is responsible for DNF and Aliens: CM. I know it's trendy to be that bitter goon that hates the gently caress out of certain devs/publishers for bad or silly reasons, but I would still prefer if Activision acquired the license over Gearbox, even if they haven't published anything for the last 10 years but bad COD games.

Someguy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 23, 2013

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Psychotic Weasel posted:

If they could just "steal" the entire design doc of the original Homeworld 2 before the sudden shift in development, that'd be great.

Yes! A young prince of the decadent and failing S'jet Empire running into galaxy spanning intrigue. Giant Megaliths you build turrets on, mine off of and have trench runs on. The original draft was loving awesome.

Now this, is gonna be a piece of poo poo. Gearbox has consistently shown that all the mojo they've ever had they got rid of. Brothers in Arms was awesome. Brothers in Arms 2 was awesome. Brothers in Arms 3 missed the point so completely you'd think Gearbox had a lobotomy after #2.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
A polished version of Homeworld that supports widescreen outta the box and using the Steam server backend since WON is long gone dead? I'll gladly throw down benjamins for that, my original CD is long gone from this world ( but I still have the manual ).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rookersh posted:

Well, hopefully Gearbox touches them up then, because neither H1, H2, or Cata work out of the box on Win7/8, as I'm learning right now.

All three of my discs work right out of the box? :confused: I'd still love to have them as GOG installers, but I doubt it'll even cross their minds!

SAHChandler posted:

This is like Michael Jordan announcing he's going to play Major League Baseball.

More like a crippled Little League player trying to play hockey, they weren't good at their game to begin with!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Orv posted:

Can't be worse than Fire Warrior, right? :smithicide:

That would be a feat, even for modern-day Gearbox.

You've thrown down the gauntlet, Orv. Now Randy is going to spend upwards of $7 on development just to prove you wrong. He could have bought lunch with that development money, you know.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
I'm reading through the manual for the original game right now and thinking to myself there's absolutely no way they'd be able to publish a Homeworld game that wasn't poo poo. Hell, not even Relic could publish a good Homeworld game after Cataclysm because HW2, in my opinion, was a scaled down mess with almost no replayability.

The second game just had nothing in its story for depth or even anything interesting really. I'm afraid that the original and its one expansion were kinda lucky nuggets in a way as far as writing and design goes. A story like that of the original was so simple yet so deep and emotional... the musical scoring for it was just pure art, the cutscenes were ingenious and told so much with so little. It was almost impossible for 2 to match up in the end really so I'd figure Gearbox doesn't stand a chance at beating even the worst title in its series.

Massive_Idiot fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 23, 2013

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

Well I hear Paradox and Stardock were in the running too; surely they could have had a few more dollars than Gearbox. Mind you, I might be mentally inflating their finances because I'm a fan :shobon:

That said, someone proposed that the following trailer is Paradox's way of saying 'Sorry we didn't get the IP':

The only thing it says to me is that they saw DocFuture's Let's Play of Sonic Easy Mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ef8SD9gUg

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Kraustofski posted:

I'm reading through the manual for the original game right now and thinking to myself there's absolutely no way they'd be able to publish a Homeworld game that wasn't poo poo. Hell, not even Relic could publish a good Homeworld game after Cataclysm because HW2, in my opinion, was a scaled down mess with almost no replayability.

Not to mention the simple plot, unbalanced campaign, ridiculous aesthetical choices for the main characters and boring additions to these.

EDIT: The game was bloody gorgeous, but I saw it as an awesome move to never fully show people's faces in the first two games.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 23, 2013

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
That fateful cutscene from the beginning of the game is playing in my head right now... the Homeworld IP burns, the fanship stares in disbelief and shock at the lonely landscape that now confronts them. What kind of universe is this where Homeworld will never receive a proper sequel... cue idagio for strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Horrible news.

I've been a fan of the franchise since it came out but the faint glimmer of hope I had for a proper HW3 died today. There is no way in hell Gearbox will do anything remotely good with the IP and I'd rather pay Relic or Blackbird Interactive (a lot of the original Homeworld Devs are there) for an update and re-code than Gearbox.

Colonial Marines should have ended Gearbox but instead, they get one of the finest RTS-games of all time to poo poo on. :suicide:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When I heard Relic got snapped up by Sega I thought "well that doesn't bode well for any future Homeworld title" since I have this belief that Sega can't publish worth a drat. I didn't even know that the Homeworld IP was still up for grabs. Sadly I now realize that even Sega would've been a better steward of the Homeworld rights than Gearbox could ever be. It sucks to realize one of my top 3 RTS games is never going to get a proper modern-day followup, at least not with the established IP.

Sucks even more to know that Stardock and Paradox were in the running to acquire it as well. Granted Stardock is tarnished by its CEO being a bag of dicks but surely Paradox would've known what to do with the rights.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

This is not good.
The only positive I can possibly see out of this is that we might get the old games up on Steam/GoG/etc. But then we'll have to sit through Gearbox taking a giant horrible poo poo on the memory of one of the greatest strategy games ever made. Why couldn't Sega just shell out the cash to give it to Relic? God damnit.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
No one’s left. Everything’s gone. Kharak is burning.

Christ, the IP couldn't have gone to a worse developer*, could it? I guess the silver lining is a proper HD release of the first two, but it doesn't bode well for the release of the third.

*though to be fair, didn't Kerberos once try to acquire the Homeworld license?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Because Relic ( as much as it pains me to say it ) wasn't the same Relic that made Homeworld, those guys moved on. THQ bought the rights, but there was nothing done with it while Relic double downed on it's WH40K & CoH franchises. A Steam release is a good thing, and the least effort Gearbox can do to get some money back on their investment short of reselling the license. What they do with the IP in the future? I'm sorry at this point anything is better than sitting on it doing nothing, and if it turns out to be poo poo? Well I'll always have memories of the Mothership launching, Kharak burning and that feeling the first time I finished the game and Yes started singing Homeworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2AhjhYWDUM

By far my most memorable ending song.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 23, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

CommissarMega posted:

Well it sucks that Gearbox got the Homeworld IP, but at least because of this thread I learned about this awesome game. It looks like a mashup of Warship Gunner 2 and Flotilla, which is great. Multi-platform multiplayer support is excellent also.

At least they will port the old games to Steam, and who knows, maybe they will farm out Homeworld 3 to someone who doesn't suck rear end.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Oh god its going to be land combat Homeworld with a wacky art style isn't it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ZombyDog posted:

Because Relic ( as much as it pains me to say it ) wasn't the same Relic that made Homeworld, those guys moved on. THQ bought the rights, but there was nothing done with it while Relic double downed on it's WH40K & CoH franchises. A Steam release is a good thing, and the least effort Gearbox can do to get some money back on their investment short of reselling the license. What they do with the IP in the future? I'm sorry at this point anything is better than sitting on it doing nothing, and if it turns out to be poo poo? Well I'll always have memories of the Mothership hing, Kharak burning and that feeling the first time I finished the game and Yes started singing Homeworld.

I think I would rather have nothing than something that is much closer mockery of the original games. I would rather not have a Homeworld sequel than one with XP, perks, in-game micro transactions. The best of scenario is they release HD version/windows 7 capable versions of the first two games and cataclysm, and Homeworld 3 gets bogged down in development and is never released.

If your a fan of Lucas arts, I think we dogged a bullet that the planned action-adventures of Full Throttle and Sam & Max were never released.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Captain Beans posted:

but at least because of this thread I learned about this awesome game.

I had originally missed the link until you quoted it. Now I'm glad you mentioned it.

Instant pre-order. :toot:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Ringo Star Get posted:

Assuming they can find some art style out there to completely plagia-- uh, be inspired by.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Pretty much. They're going to outsource it to the developer that gives them the lowest bid on the contract and dumping all the development money and resources they were supposed to spend on its development into Borderlands 3. Because Borderlands is the only franchise they can do with any modicum of competency. It worked once and it'll work again.

All the while Randy Pitchford says it is going to revolutionize video-game story telling and how they've got writers (IE: an assistant who read a wiki) from Battlestar Galactica working on the script.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Wow! There is a lot of loving negativity in this thread jesus. All I have to say is no Gearbox was not who I would have picked but it's not in EA or Activisions hands and you know what thats good enough for me. Yes Colonial Marines sucked hard but you know what I'm interested to see what they can do or even if all they do is give it to GOG or Steam and thats the end of it I'm happy. Seriously if they make a bad game o loving well at least someone will loving do something with the IP instead of goddamned nothing like THQ did for 10 years.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Ringo Star Get posted:

"We feel like the purest form of Homeworld actually takes place on the Mothership itself. After all, that's the heart of the fleet! Our vision of Homeworld 3 is a tower defense style of game where the player has rescued a bunch of Colonial Marines and then uses them to defend areas of the Mothership from a joint assault of the the Duke Nukem aliens and actual Aliens. We know fans of the series will be very excited to finally get inside the mothership and defend areas such as the docking bay, production bay, storage bay, hanger bay and other assorted bays! You will be able to see the consequences of your actions when you receive quirky notifications from the fleet fighting outside of how much they appreciate your support!"

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Ugh. I'd rather see Homeworld with EA or Activision or Ubisoft or any other publisher. A developer with no RTS experience with a history of shoddy games based on other peoples licenses isn't who I want to hold the keys for HW3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Haruharuharuko posted:

Wow! There is a lot of loving negativity in this thread jesus. All I have to say is no Gearbox was not who I would have picked but it's not in EA or Activisions hands and you know what thats good enough for me. Yes Colonial Marines sucked hard but you know what I'm interested to see what they can do or even if all they do is give it to GOG or Steam and thats the end of it I'm happy. Seriously if they make a bad game o loving well at least someone will loving do something with the IP instead of goddamned nothing like THQ did for 10 years.

It's not like it's unlikely that any other bidder would also want to rerelease the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Ardennes posted:

I think I would rather have nothing than something that is much closer mockery of the original games. I would rather not have a Homeworld sequel than one with XP, perks, in-game micro transactions. The best of scenario is they release HD version/windows 7 capable versions of the first two games and cataclysm, and Homeworld 3 gets bogged down in development and is never released.

If your a fan of Lucas arts, I think we dogged a bullet that the planned action-adventures of Full Throttle and Sam & Max were never released.
Lets face it, if Gearbox actually thought that they had the chops to make an actual Homeworld 3, I'm pretty sure both you and I would be smugging about how we knew not to preorder it. If their blurb is anything to go by, they'll do a Steam release of the originals to gauge interest in the viability of a third title with out committing too much more money.

• Locked thread