Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Saturday Night Slam Masters had plenty of weird characters and was awesome.

Also it's not out there weird, but in one of the more recent Smackdown vs. Raw games (I think 2009), the CAW story mode has you join the WWE after Santino challenges the crowd to a match (I guess in a nod to his original appearance), and culminates with you using your Royal Rumble win to challenge Vince McMahon at WrestleMania. John Cena even approaches you and basically goes "Uh, you really should just challenge me for the title, but that's cool I guess." Also Mickie James's story basically repeats her stalker angle but with her being stalked by Natalya. Also Brian Kendrick is a face and Mickie likes him or something.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

They also had a swing dancing level.

Does the Simpsons wrestling game count? I mean I think the end bosses were Kang and Kodos, but before that you fight Ned Flanders, who can revive himself because of God and also only has attacks where god smites you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of anything for Slam Masters or its SNK counterpart 3 Count Bout, but neither had anything outright weird. Well, except how in Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game, the henchman Blade is secretly Guile's brother Gunloc, who strangles Bison to death and then goes back to his Slam Masters wrestling career. I'm just tickled pink that there's such a thing as a Street Fighter: The Movie expanded universe.

Thanks for the help, guys. Lot of great stuff.

I should also include NES Tag-Team Wrestling, which is the video game version of the Rhodes Brothers/Rybaxel feud. You play as the Ricky Fighters and have to wrestle against the same team (the Strong Bads) a million times over to win the titles.

While it's too nit-picky to make the list, the SNES WWF Royal Rumble game always bugged me as a kid. The game had both Lex Luger and Ric Flair in it. Lex Luger debuted at Royal Rumble 1993 and Ric Flair lost a Loser Leaves Match on Raw the following night. They were both in the company for 24 hours and for some reason I could never get over that.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
A recent SDvsRAW game had a story where Rey Mysterio gets hit on the head and loses his memory. Jack Swagger convinces the amnesiac Rey that they are best friends. So Rey starts hanging out with Swagger and being a heel and loving it, punking out other superstars with Jack and tearing up the bars at night. It is by far the most entertaining storyline either has ever been a part of...and it never really happened :(

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
wait, didn't they have Spike Dudley sub in for Big Show in No Mercy? And changed literally nothing?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Didnt WCW thunder have like 98 unlockable characters (including an Ant and a cowboy) as well as secret rings (like a 15ft cage)?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

LvK posted:

wait, didn't they have Spike Dudley sub in for Big Show in No Mercy? And changed literally nothing?

Steven Richards in his RTC gimmick. It was weird.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

LvK posted:

I think it was Stevie Richards you're thinking of. Unsure about if they had the same moveset though.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Stevie had his own moveset. His superkick had D strength. :allears:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The three other people who played it will remember Raw 2's game mechanic where you can set booby traps to drop boxes on other characters' heads while they're walking around backstage, and then steal their clothes for power.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Also it's not out there weird, but in one of the more recent Smackdown vs. Raw games (I think 2009), the CAW story mode has you join the WWE after Santino challenges the crowd to a match (I guess in a nod to his original appearance), and culminates with you using your Royal Rumble win to challenge Vince McMahon at WrestleMania. John Cena even approaches you and basically goes "Uh, you really should just challenge me for the title, but that's cool I guess." Also Mickie James's story basically repeats her stalker angle but with her being stalked by Natalya. Also Brian Kendrick is a face and Mickie likes him or something.

I think that was 2010. That also had the HBK storyline, which was basically a better version of his feud with JBL in 2009, that at one point had JBL slagging off HBK on the mic, saying how much better he was... and then he backs it up with footage on the Titantron, with said footage consisting of clips from earlier WWE games featuring JBL beating the stuffing out of HBK. :allears:

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
So, SvR 09, 10, and 11 are on PSN, and I'm thinking of grabbing one for the hell of it. Any recommendations on which one's the best? Especially in regards to AI and CAW stuff, since I'm one of those dudes that loves simming ridiculous matches.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The three other people who played it will remember Raw 2's game mechanic where you can set booby traps to drop boxes on other characters' heads while they're walking around backstage, and then steal their clothes for power.

Raw 2 had the funniest story mode ever.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

does someone wanna do a new games thread focusing on 2k15 and explaining TEW stuff in the op?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I suppose I could do it. Still looking for input on this btw

Basic Chunnel posted:

Alright, so in TEW I've got a product that's key on traditionalism, heavy on mainstream and medium on realism (with a smattering of very lows in things like hardcore and and cult). I'm somewhat perplexed regarding how to get my guys gaining momentum. Essentially what I've done is classic TV wrestling stuff - I've taken face / heel pairings of my "native" talents in the main event and upper midcard to be booked as never-losers, slotted into feuds with one another, and kept the remainder of my talent as dudes who trade wins with one another and job to the high card. The thing is that no matter what I do, show to show their momentum rarely rises above E+. My fed is currently in E- popularity / prestige and D+ momentum in my home region (it's pretty young). Is worker momentum shackled to fed momentum the way show grades are shackled by popularity?

I've also got two expensive guys who are pretty well-known and good workers (Drew Mac and Homicide) in a feud also on the never-lose list, and I've been getting solid D+ shows (good enough for awesome post-show reviews) by booking one in the main event and one in the semi-main every show. I could spend a lot more money to goose the ratings with a more over undercard but I'd rather do this on the cheap.

My product rates dudes evenly on performance and popularity, and I don't know if this is screwing me and keeping my dudes who aren't popular perpetually unpopular. I am managing to slowly build up momentum on my storylines and kinda-sorta cheating with angles to make sure everyone looks good (basically going heavy on classic promos where dudes putting both themselves and their rivals over), but I haven't had any blowoffs yet so I don't know if that will help.
I guess the addendum question would be "do upper-mid and main event talent benefit from beating undercard talent who haven't racked up a lot of wins"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Manwithastick posted:

Didnt WCW thunder have like 98 unlockable characters (including an Ant and a cowboy) as well as secret rings (like a 15ft cage)?

I know it had a billion unlockable characters and you could play as the Nitro Girls and Mike Tenay.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

The second Legends of Wrestling game on the original Xbox was tons of fun, only because the Polish Hammer was so goddamn overpowered.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gavok posted:

I'm doing an article that lists the weirdest moments in wrestling video games and I'm looking for suggestions.
WWF Warzone on PS1 inexplicably had a ton of FMVs of wrestlers ranting at the camera while greenscreened into pre-rendered environments that look straight out of Resident Evil 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myce9ku-bHA&t=135s

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I had that video playing in the background while doing something else, and I lost my poo poo at ahmend jonhsons promos, oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I started a new thread, whatever. If there's something I've missed, add it, because it's 4 AM and I'm tired.

• Locked thread