Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Definitely, it was an addition of detail in case Hunter had tried to in the past.

Sammi

Your comm unit blips and then Hunter speaks. "Sammi, this is the captain, MAVOC said you were out on the promenade again, would you be okay to pick some stuff up for me?" Brendan raises an eyebrow and smiles as he stops and looks towards Sammi as he mentions; "You are a guest Sammi, we will not detain you although you did not mention you had commitments." He says with a slight note of amusement and disapproval in his voice. "Can your captain wait? We do have a limited time with your day pass and I have heard loading ships can sometimes be a long process."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

'we will not detain you' Brendan said

Sammi didn't believe him.

Of course he could just look up her name in the ship directory. Given that she hadn't seen him or any other changelings on her way too and back from the bar, they'd probably spotted her on the security cameras and seen through her Mask. She'd have to think about that the next time she left the ship. If there ever got to be a next time. Anything could happen behind locked doors...

Sammi jumped at the Comm's blip, and she flinched at the sound of Hunter's voice. Brendan's comment on the other hand makes her flush with embarrassment. Great, scared and humiliated and possibly still walking into a trap. The day couldn't possibly get any worse. Brendan's tone stopped her hand automatically reaching for the Comm. The hesitation was all her mind needed to flood her with uncertainty. She wanted to run, but she was too scared too, she wanted to hide, but they'd found her before they could do so again, she wanted to reply to Hunter, but the fear in her voice would only alert him, she wanted someone to hold her tightly and tell her that she was safe, but the only people around might be enemies, she wanted to curl up in her bunk with the engines running on full, but they would never let her leave.

Conflicted, she took her hand away from the Comm. Sure Sammi always answered it right away the moment it blips. But maybe Hunter wouldn't find it suspicious that she didn't reply immediately...

"L-let's j-just get t-this over w-with" She said, fear and anger giving a slight edge to her voice as she pushed past Brendan and walked through the door. She still had her backup plan,

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hunter
Hunter leans against the wall near the Med Bay, staring at his silent comm. Maybe she just didn't hear? Maybe she left it behind? No, that wasn't like her. She wouldn't lose it unless...

"gently caress!"

He punched the wall with a resounding thud, he couldn't hurt the titanium reinforced walls but they could do a number on his hands. Thankfully such damage knitted quickly, he could heal, Sammi couldn't.

The small med suite was as state of the art as Hunter could reasonably afford, and though he was no surgeon, he knew enough about the human body to patch someone up and get them to the hospital. The main fixtures of the room, however, was a large cooling unit filled with preserved blood bags. Ostensibly it was there just in case, Shock is dangerous, and there are lots of things in space that can cut or puncture. Having blood on hand is good, even when you don't have a Vampire on staff. At the time though, he pushed past the hanging bags to a small compartment flush with the back of the fridge. It was designed to hold many small vials; though at the time there was only one, adorned with a small label.

Sammi Cubrick - Dec '55

He had drawn some of her blood for a quick disease test, she didn't know he took more than he needed, she didn't know he kept some, he had always hoped he'd never have to use it. Before he could think better of himself, or his actions, he yanked the rubber stopper out of the bottle and drank the contents, forcing himself to let it linger on his tongue long enough to get the scent, trying not to gag at the horrible taste. He disliked the taste of human blood, though that was as much of a defense mechanism as anything else, but Sammi's was different, it taste more like oil than iron but maybe he was just hallucinating.

Left you a few open hooks Penelope

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Penelope

Penelope leaned back in her chair, staring up at the ceiling above her. The chances of her getting to sleep in the immediate future were now pretty slim -- the message had been important, though. Not the sort of thing she wanted to record while half falling asleep. So, she had extra time to spend awake now -- she was going to need to decide how to use it. Most of the crew was ashore, so she couldn't work on getting to know them. Hunter had seemed preoccupied with something when he ended the tour, so maybe it was better to stay out of his wa--

Loud noises came from the hall outside -- shouting and something being slammed against a wall. Penelope got to her feet so fast she almost fell as her legs tangled up with the chair. Maybe it was all the stims making her jumpy, but she didn't particularly like that. She crossed the room over to the door, sliding the door open to step out into the hall. And froze.

The cabin Penelope had been given was directly across from the med bay. As such, from her doorframe she had a pretty clear view of what was going inside it. What she saw appeared to be the captain, standing in front of a medical storage fridge, downing the thick, red contents of a glass vial. She felt a chill go through her body. Her eyes went wide, and she was gripped with a sudden, if brief impulse to get her cargo and get the hell off of this ship as quickly as possible, 40% or not. She didn't actually have a chance to indulge or ignore this impulse, though. She took a step back almost involuntarily, and slammed her elbow loudly against the wall behind her. Well, poo poo.

So, two of the three cabins on this deck should be free if Sammi lives down in engineering -- it wasn't actually established which one was Cyril's, so I'm just saying she ended up with the one across from medical

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
Hunter slams the fridge door shut and tosses the remains of the vial into the medial incinerator. He grimaces as his nostrils adjust to the new scent, picking up the new intricacies of Sammi's scent throughout the ship.
"Sammi, I hate to say it, but I hope you're actually in trouble after all this."

But then he heard the thud from behind him.

He turned to see Penelope, her eyes wide with panic (and probably stims). He grimaces briefly, then puts on the most placid face he can manage, hands open and empty, and walks towards her.

Diagnose Penelope: 5d10h8 2 Wits+Medicine to figure out that Penelope is tripping on Stims and Alcohol

"Miss Cortez, please, calm down. Whatever it is you think this is, it isn't. Please, calm down."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 8, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

The impulse, thankfully, passed. She told herself to calm down -- there was no way she was going to get another transport and remain on schedule at this point.

“It’s not what I think it is? Sorry, I heard a shout and a bang. I thought someone might have tripped or something.” As she lied, she studiously avoided looking at the incinerator the bottle had just vanished into, as if she hadn’t even noticed it. There could have been anything in it, really, she found herself thinking. It could have just been a perfectly normal drink. Which he kept in a medical storage fridge for some reason.

She found herself making the excuses without even thinking, the way she always did. It was as if her mind was wired to cling to mundane explanations whenever possible, even when deep down she knew what she’d seen. Blood drinking was not exactly polite behaviour, but as long as he was doing it from a bottle and not from... somewhere else it was well within the range of things she’d built a career on ignoring. Or enabling, for that matter.

“Sorry if I startled you. Banged my elbow on the way out. Your doorways are a bit narrower than I’m used it.” She did her best to wipe any shock away from her face, replacing it with her usual business smile. Hopefully he’d put down anything he’d seen there earlier to pain, if he bought the story.

Let’s see, Manipulation+Subterfuge... 6d10.hitsopen(8,10)=2
So she should seem reasonably convincing, I guess. Claiming that she just banged her elbow after he just saw her face go all flight instinct is probably enough of a stretch for that not to matter if you wanted, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
Composure+Empathy: 5d10h8 1 Well you have Hunter convinced.

Hunter stops mid stride, wondering if she hadn't seen anything. Maybe he gave too much away, he hoped not. One more stupid mistake in a career of stupid mistakes, but this was his job and he had to play it as cool as he could.

"Err, yeah, I can see that being a problem. I live here so I'm used to it. I just smashed my hand into the wall and had to get some medical supplies out of the fridge as a result."

It's not so much of a lie as a half-truth, but if she's playing along so is he. He looks at her across the hallway, trying to figure out what if anything she knows, the strain across her face, wide eyes, slight twitch in her arm.

"Miss Cortez, have you been taking stims? Like, a lot of stims? You look like you're about ready to collapse. It's especially not good if you've been mixing them with alcohol. Trust me, I've seen enough engineers and programmers on all night booze-stim cocktails."

He grabs a pen light from a holster near the door and flicks it on as he walks towards her again, his other hand reaching for her wrist.
How did I manage to screw your last name up :confused:

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 8, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Penelope grimaced. "Yeah," she reached into her pocket, briefly taking out the dispenser to show him that she wasn't taking anything you couldn't get in most convenience stores. "Just caffeine-derived, though. And I don't have any heart conditions to worry about. A little synthale with this stuff isn't going to kill me; it's not like we're talking about real liquor or anything." She did her best to wave Hunter off. She really didn't need the fuss at the moment. She wasn't having a medical emergency, she was just living in a very unhealthy manner. "I've just been awake for a lot longer than I should have been. The ship I came here on had its time cycle set just right to mean I haven't had a chance to go to bed since coming here; trying to arrange short notice interstellar transport doesn't leave you a lot of time for napping, either. So I've gotten maybe 12 hours sleep over the past three days."

She shrugged in a way she hoped looked good natured. "I try not to make a habit of this sort of thing. It's just that keeping odd hours are a unnecessary part of the trade sometimes."

Penelope's last name is Cortez. Not really a big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
Bleh, fixed, I'm not even sure how I screwed that up. I blame tired posting.

He sighs, mentally kicking himself and shoving the penlight back in it's holster.

"Sorry, I tend to be a little overprotective of my passengers and crew. Having someone frag themselves with stims on my ship would look bad, you know."

He rubs his forehead, trying to calm himself somewhat.

"Anyways, I need to go take care of some more business back on the station. You can stay here and catch up on your sleep, and if it'd make you feel more comfortable I can secure the ship once I leave. Anyone else who needs to get on has a key."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Brendan's Garden

The garden was in the style of an Arumai garden. It had a few small bonsai trees in pots and sand that had been raked. In the centre there actual water, which even despite the small size of the pond was an incredible extravagant luxury on a space station. There were a number of carved stone chairs around the garden, centred around a small stove that had a kettle on it. Brendan gestured towards one of the seats. "Please, make yourself comfortable and be seated." He said as he turned to a wall console and tapped and slid a command. There was a small click and a very faint hiss as the smell of a flower of some kind filled the room.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Penelope nodded. "Don't let me keep you, then. Go ahead and lock up -- if I'm lucky, I'll be able to fall asleep before too long. I wouldn't be able to do much to stop someone from looting the cargo hold like that." And if she lost that cargo, sleep deprivation would be the least of her problems. "Don't let me keep you, Captain," she said, moving aside to allow for a less obstructed path down the hallway.

If he left, she could probably have a bit of a look around. The incident she'd just seen wasn't encouraging, and if possible she'd like to avoid any similar surprises. There was the AI to worry about, of course -- she would have to keep it innocuous enough that the talking computer thing wouldn't notice her snooping and report on it. Lying was most effective when you weren't doing a lot of it all at once.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter

Hunter nods, slipping past Penelope on his way down to the cargo hold.

"Good night, Miss Cortez."

Once he's around the corner from her and walking down the stairs, he closes his eyes, recalling a trick he learned from an Irralunim he was able to cajole into giving up a secret or two.

Partial Shift(Wolf Nose): 5d10h8 2
Using partial Shift to get a Wolf Nose and the delicious +4 to perception checks

"MAVOC, once I'm off ship, button up the hold and go into lockdown for everyone but crew. And if Sammi contacts the ship, forward her to my personal comm."

As soon as he's off the ramp, he takes a deep breath and gets to work.

Wits+Survival is 5, +4 for blood, +4 for wolf nose, -4 for moving at full speed
Track Sammi: 9d10h8 1
......wow

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

Checking first that the chair isn't trapped in some way, Sammi discovers two things. The first being that the chair isn't trapped, the second is that nature and plants makes her uncomfortable. She'd never had to deal with it before in any large amount. Her world was one of machines and plate metal. She'd never even stood in a field of grass before. Now that she was here and surrounded by it Sammi found herself longing for a belt feed, or a piston of some kind. Just anything to break the unbearable silence of the garden.

She sat on the (possibly) untrapped chair and hugged her knees to her chest. Huddling into the upright fettle position in an attempt to get ahold of herself.

Then there was a hiss as the perfume was brought into the room.

Which was clearly some kind of poison gas.

Sammi hurriedly clamped her hand over her mouth and nose and held her breath! Squirming in her seat in sudden panic. The sickly sweet scent could be anything from poison to a knock out drug and as long as she could hold her breath she'd be safe from the deadly toxins! Her eyes searched desperately for an escape but the room was sealed. If she moved to much she'd run out of breath, but if she stayed here then the gas would get her and she'd be at the mercy of these two! Tears formed in the corner of her eyes as her single breath began to run out. The room was becoming hazy, though wether this was from the gas or her ever emptying lungs it was hard to say.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Promenade

Hunter drew a few odd looks for those that noticed his strange nose. Lunacy provided a bit of a cover, people doubted what they saw and without a second glance passed it off as a delusion or their imagination. It was hard to track Sammi in this place, the air was circulated and recycled a lot so odours were disturbed and did not settle well. However the trail was very fresh and there had not been time for the track to be erased properly, so Hunter eventually found himself facing the door to the residential section of Sarissa station. It was possible to gain admittance of course, but the red tape and checks would take time and he had no way of knowing if Sammi was in danger and had that time.

Brendan Lee's Garden

Brendan watched Sammi calmly as he sat and finished brewing the tea. By the time he had waited for it to steep and he picked up his cup Sammi had not collapsed from any gasses. The smell was floral, strange and slightly unpleasant in its alien quality but it did not appear to actually affect her. The only reason she might be feeling faint at that moment was due to her own hyperventilation.

"Sammi, please. You are a guest here. You do understand what that means I hope? If not we have much to teach you, because I doubt your Vampire and Werewolf friends will be very well informed in the matter." He said urbanely as he remained their politely and poured both himself, Sammi and Dianne cups of tea. Dianne brought over a plate of strange white fluffy buns and placed it in the middle of the arrangement. She did not seat herself and watched Sammi with a mixture of pity and amusement.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

She coughed, spluttered, and gasped as new air entered into her lungs. Air which was probably not poisonous. Probably.

All the same, Sammi was far to preoccupied with the wonderful act of breathing once again, to listen to Brendan's putdown. Her entire body felt battered, and her mind felt numb with emotional exhaustion.

"...I...W-What do y-you want?" Sammi asked, the fight having been driven out of her by her own terror. She sat in the chair, her head down, shoulders slumped. Less like a woman and more like a child being scolded.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Penelope watched him go with a little wave, and stood where she was until she'd heard the distant sounds of the ship's doors opening and sealing again. Then, cautiously, she crossed the hall and stepped into the med bay.

It was a pretty boring med bay -- almost exactly like any other one she'd seen. The chances that she would find anything unusual seemed remote -- even a vial of blood was just a vial of blood until someone started drinking it. Still, she was curious now. Even though she knew getting caught might be awkward to explain. As went, she mentally began formulating possible excuses she could pull out in that event.

Investigate the room (Wits+Investigation):5d10.hitsopen(8,10)=1

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
How in space does he know I'm a Werewolf? I don't exactly go around advertising it.

Hunter growls, audibly, but he keeps it soft. He's annoyed, but not stupid enough to show his hand yet... he glowers at the biometric lock in front of him, and the communications terminal. Why would they bring her here? For what purpose? This is a civilian building, it's secured but it's not strictly private. How the hell is he going to...

No...

That's stupid... Sure it worked in college but.. oh why not, he doesn't have any better ideas.

He mashes his fist into the comms terminal, hitting as many buttons at once as he can.

"Galactic Express Delivery."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
You'll probably find out why, but I'll explain if you don't when you guys leave.

Brendan's Garden

"Sammi I want to know why you are here." Brendan says simply. "You are a surprise and ever since my stay with Them I do not enjoy surprises. Surely you appreciate that we keep our freedom by avoiding being noticed." He continues as he takes a sip of his tea. "Have a cake, it will help you relax. No they are not poisoned, drugged on whatever fantasies you may be entertaining. They are just cakes with bean paste in them. Please, help yourself if it will help you speak." Brendan gestured to the plate of the cakes.

Draco's Medbay

I'll let you describe this Hunter, with that result Penelope will find anything not securely locked away. I am assuming this includes the fridge as you didn't mention unlocking it.

Promenade

Hunter mashes the comms terminal and the device responds with "Error. Unknown input. Please try again." There's a shadow from behind him and a cough from behind. The man was tall and seemed unusually hairy for a spaceman. Most likely was that he came from a planetary stock, families that long had lived in space for many generations tended to have less hair and be smaller and more slight. The man had side burns and unruly hair that spilled down to his shoulders. Although the station was carefully climate controlled, he had his sleeves rolled up as if the temperature was warmer. It was an odd affectation that was probably intended to intimidate by revealing his thick forearms and hairy knuckles.

"You okay there? If you're a courier you should have a pass right?" He says in a voice that almost seemed to growl. Hunter couldn't really put his finger down on it, but there was something about the man similar to him in a way. He didn't smell like another Werewolf though.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 13, 2013

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Medbay
Other than a truly prodigious amount of O- blood, in the fridge, there's nothing out of the ordinary. There appear to be holsters for vials of some kind but Sammi's was the only one that he kept on hand.

Hunter
Hunter sighs, letting the partial shift fade as he relaxes back into Hishu. He turns around and looks at the hairy guy in front of him. He'd dealt with angry Rahu before, if he was trying to be intimidating Hunter was not impressed. No sense lying to this guy, the truth as far as he knew it should be enough.

"I don't, cause I'm not a courier. Doesn't change the fact that I need to get in." His face is steely, but earnest, "My engineer is in there and I don't think it's by choice. I didn't catch the entirety of the message she got but she left in a hurry and looked pretty scared. Once I was able to get the ship's AI to tell me where she was, I came right here."

He peers at the mountain of hair, trying to read his response, "Can you help me get in?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Promenade

The man frowned his bushy eyebrows as he thought about it. He seemed to look at Hunter as if weighing up something and although it was only a few moments the pause felt more like minutes. "Hmm, your friend is in trouble you fear? Well it wouldn't be right to leave her like that. Look I'm not supposed to let you in without a pass, but if we just go to where your friend is and see if she's okay security shouldn't hassle me about it to much. But, you've got to let security handle it if she's in danger okay?" He explains to Hunter, waiting to see what his response would be.

How tall is Hunter again? This guy is about 6'4 and pretty solid and wide. Does he tower over Hunter, or does Hunter more closely match his height? Either way he doesn't seem to be trying to be obviously threatening.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

"Y-You don't l-like s-surprises?! I-I wouldn't have e-even known you were h-here until you C-Commed me!" Sammi yelled. She was getting angry now, terror had given way to humiliation which in turn had given way to fury! "D-Did you even think about what your message looked like!? I thought you were the Others!!" She snatched a cake up with shaking hands and bit into it. Her cogs, pistons and gears were in full motion, working at high speeds to match her rapidly changing emotions. The rapidly changing emotions of the hysterical.

"I mean- I mean... I walked in here, expecting to be taken again! How did you- What did you- Why did you?-!" She sputtered, her fear of social interaction fighting tooth and nail with her outrage. The momentary pause was all Sammi needed to realised she was on her feet, waving the cake around like some kind of... speech making thing. Her fear won out and Sammi meekly sat back down on the chair, eyes on the floor, and took another smaller bite from the cake.

It really was quite nice.

"W-We were onl- We're j-just passing t-through...!" Sammi murmured. "P-Picking up a-a client and... r-restocking and... r-refuelling. W-We'll b-be gone by t-tomorrow." She didn't meet ether of there eyes. Just spoke with a voice on the verge of breaking into tears.

Not only had she embarrassed herself in front of these two, but she'd scared them, she'd yelled at them, insulted them, and spent the last two hours in a state of utter terror and panic. She'd left the safety of the ship to meet with what could have been anything from Freebooters to the Others looking to kidnap her, and she'd done this just to keep the others safe from the supernatural. It was probably the bravest and most stupid thing Sammi had done since she escaped from Archadia. She had also wasted a good chunk of her cake by waving it around.

It was only now, at what seemed like the worst moment in the possible conversation that Sammi remembered to think of them as having buckets for their heads.

God dammit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
He's probably about 5'11", so this guy is a good half foot taller, Hunter is still unimpressed.

Hunter smiles, a pursed smile, no teeth.

"That's fine by me, I wouldn't want to get in the way of legitimate authority."

He sidesteps a bit, giving the burly man access to the door.

"I'm just worried about her, she doesn't normally go wandering off by herself in unfamiliar places, and she looked scared out of her mind on the cameras."

Pre-emptive tracking roll.
Track Sammi 2: 7d10h8 2
no wolf-nose and moving at 3/4ths speed, Still did better than before.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

She stared into the fridge. There was nothing wrong with having some blood on hand for infusion in case of emergency. That was normal, even -- but this much? Modern refrigeration could greatly extend the shelf life of biological product like blood, but not indefinitely. This wasn't a clinic or a hospital -- it was a med bay that only regularly serviced three people plus passengers. Buying in bulk to this degree was not economical unless this ship was going through their supply a lot faster than would be normal for a crew this size.

... as they would if one or more crew members were using it for something other than emergency transfusions. She frowned, a slight downward tilt of her mouth, mentally calculating how much a load this big would go for. Enough that she began to seriously consider talking to Hunter about the competitive rates she could offer on bulk human blood shipments.

Standing up, she let the fridge door swing closed, rocking back onto her heels as she decided what to do next. "Hey, computer," she said suddenly, looking vaguely up at the ceiling. "I hear you don't talk much. Up for answering a few questions?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Brendan's Garden

"I see. Sammi, how long have you been away from Them? Have you met others like us before?" He asked a little bit more gently this time, as if a little bit of his suspicions seem to be assuaged for the time being. "You seem to be unsure of how things work for us and while you understand the fear, you're all alone. Your shipmates don't really count, they wouldn't understand. The Vampire probably enjoys his change and the Werewolf is used to being in charge. But for us it's different. I'm not here to hurt you, so why don't you tell me a little about yourself?"

Promenade

"Alright. Do you know where she went?" The man asks as he scans his hand and says; "Olsen, one Guest, visit only." The door opens after a second and a friendly kind of beep to acknowledge his command.

Draco

pre:
Answers a plenty I have to give. But ones you know, or ones you hear, or ones you like. The mystery is in the question itself.
The AI spoke to Penelope through the speakers in a strange way, unlike anything she'd heard a computer use before. It was unnerving and had a definite otherworldly quality to it. Then it spoke again; "MAVOC is prepared to answer your questions if it is capable or permitted to do so." This time the response was more lucid and far more what Penelope would have expected.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
Hunter smirks as the door opens, stepping through and turning down the hallway on the path towards Sammi.
"Yes I do," he reached up with two fingers and tapped his temples, "Got it all up here."

How close is the Garden to the doorway? You can just hold me in reserve until I show up there.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

"I-I think... m-maybe t-three years n-now?" She answered dutifully to his questions, her eyes fixed firmly on the grass at her feet. "Y-Yes, I've met a-a number o-of other C-Changelings, I-I-I was taught b-by A-Autumn C-Court on my e-escape."

The next comment caught Sammi of guard. Vampire? Werewolf? What in space was this guy talking about? He could be refering to Cyril with the 'Vampire' comment. While she agreed that Cyril was a slimeball and skeevy as heck, he wasn't really a bloodsucker. He worked for his pay and he worked hard. Where did this guy get the idea that Cyril was draining their resources? That left Hunter as a 'Werewolf'. Sammi didn't even know what a Werewolf was! The closest point of reference to what a Wolf was was the Wyrdwolves. Hobgoblins created to hunt down Changelings. And Hunter looked nothing like one of those, nor did he behave like one. So that comment's significance was lost on the poor girl.

She was so focused on what the hell he meant that she almost missed his next question.

"O-Oh! U-Uummm, I-I'm a-a mecha- a-an E-Engineer. I f-fix things..." Put on the spot she wracked her brain for anything she could say next. How would she describe herself? Quite honestly she'd never had to. Other people had always introduced her. "... I-I-I can a-also make things t-to..."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Arjuna

Arjuna felt the telltale signs he was about to be contacted, a tingling along the surface of his skin where his tattoos lay. He felt the presence in his mind, sharing his awareness for a moment. It was not intrusive, but more like someone riding behind him.

[Arjuna. We have new orders for you. There is a vessel that is docked in the station you are at, the JRS Draco.] In Arjuna's mind an image of the ship appeared, floating as if he had seen it before. [It will be a confluence of a number of probabilities that interest the Order. You are to board it through whatever means necessary and stay aboard, you are allowed discretionary funding if required to convince the captain] An image of Hunter Jerant filled Arjuna's mind then. [He is a Werewolf, and we have identified that there is a Changeling and a Vampire on his vessel. Keep your true nature concealed if you can. We will contact you once you return to Live Space again with further updates.] Then the presence drifted away.

It was actually rather comprehensive and informative as Arjuna's orders went, the Order respected independence and resourcefulness. Often he had been deliberately thrown into a strange situation and expected to solve his way through it. That they had given him so much information meant that their Fate Mages had divined that this vessel, the Draco, was very important indeed. A quick check told him that the Draco was still in dock and was not scheduled to leave until tomorrow.

Outside Brendan's Garden

Hunter leads Olsen to to place where Sammi's scent trail leads. The man pauses for a moment in front of the door and frowns with some displeasure. "Are you sure this is the place?" He asks Hunter with a little bit of unease.

Probably next post things will happen.

Inside Brendan's Garden

"Then you should know about Hospitality. While you are a Guest here Sammi, we are oath bound not to harm you. Please relax. Also, the gift to create is a wonderful gift indeed." Brendan comments with a winning smile as he tries to reassure Sammi. "Do you belong to one of the Courts yourself Sammi, if you do not mind me asking. I myself belong to the Spring Court, as you may have guessed." He adds so as not to seem like he was completely interrogating Sammi. It was a small and trivial concession, but it was a concession none the less.

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013
Arjuna
Arjuna nods to himself as the presence leaves his mind and immediately pays for his meal at the restaurant he's been dining at. After a brief sojourn to the restroom to wash and prepare his mind for his mission, he closes his eyes and lets his mind wander the infinite vastness of fate and causality, opening his eyes and focusing on an old silver coin dancing across his knuckles.

[Activate Sybil's Sight, Fate mage sight, Covert Rote - http://orokos.com/roll/114331 4 successes]

His vision now overlayed with the most probable and advantageous paths to find his objective, he gathers his things (a pilgrim's shoulder bag and his suitcase) and begins to move through the station with purpose.

Purpose of what, however, he was not sure. Be prepared, always trust Fate, it shall be as the universe wills it. These rules have kept him alive and flourishing so far. So with absolute faith, he heads toward his, and Hunter's, Fated impact.

Luarien fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 15, 2013

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

"I-I... Ha-ave no C-Court..." Sammi whimpered. She sounded embarrassed, almost humiliated about it. Courtless Changelings were outsiders, pitied and despised in equal measure in her experience. Although that might just be her. The thought briefly popped into her head that she was giving an awful lot of information away to this guy. Spring Court or not, she still didn't know if she could trust him or his assistant. Her instincts told her that he was after her body. That at any moment he could snap forward and scrap her. Make her part of that damned Machine!

But what he was saying was true, wasn't it? His words had wormed their way into her fragile self esteem and started wreaking havoc. He was right. She had no one, she'd been alone since she'd escaped. She'd listened to her instincts and hid from Changeling society at large. She could only just talk to those like her, let alone humans! The only people she'd let get close to her was Hunter and Cyril! Even then she hid the truth from them, knowing that it would only drive them away! They were only human, how could they possibly understand what she'd been though?!

"...I-I d-don't have a-a-a...anyo-one..."

Her emotions which had rested briefly on quiet submission, flared back up to depression verging on full on sobbing break down. They always did whenever she dwelt on her imprisonment. She'd swore to herself she wouldn't cry anymore. The tears forming in her eyes appeared to disagree with that resolve. Even though she couldn't ever explain why, she could really do with having the Captain here. No, she wanted Hunter to be here. She needed him to be here. He was the only one... The only one who made her feel like she wasn't alone anymore.

Sammi Cubrick screwed up her face and tried to bury the sobs. It wasn't working.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
Hunter grins again, trying to hide it but the predatory nature gets through a little bit, he's got this guy over a barrel. He knows something is going on in there and he doesn't want to let Hunter in. But hunter has all the leverage he needs.

"Yes, I'm quite sure she's in here. The note said <reads the address on the door>. Now then, shall we go in? Or are we just calling station security?"

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

"Thank you... MAVOC," Penelope said, crossing her arms nervously. She didn't claim to be an expert on artificial intelligence -- in fact, she didn't even like talking computers as a general rule -- but she was pretty sure that wasn't normal. All this served her right, frankly, for getting into a situation where she had to be a passenger with someone who she hadn't had time to get properly vetted.

"Is that normal?" she asked, pointing to the fridge. "Your supply of blood is very high. Do you normally get it in those amounts, or did someone just find a good deal on big pile crate of it last time your restocked?" If this was just medical blood, it seemed unlikely that the computer would be forbidden to tell her about this. It wasn't really information that would hurt the crew for her to have. "If it is normal, how often do you replenish that supply?"

That would be the biggest deciding factor in whether or not she could negotiate something mutually beneficial. Better to see if the computer would let her know before she potentially wasted her time with the captain.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Promenade

Arjuna finds himself following the stronger strands of probability connected to himself. One cluster tracked towards the residential area, with a thick and tangled explosion of threads surrounding the door itself to that area. The other threads lead off towards the hangars where the various ships were docked.

Brendan's Garden

Olsen nodded grimly and swiped his hand on the door. Apparently it had been coded to respond to him because it opened without any further identity checks. A scent of sweet and delicate flowery fragrance wafted from inside the room, which was actually a small garden in a style he had seen on ships from the Asiatic Belt. There was a very 'pretty' man with delicate and elfin features sitting with a cup of tea. Standing next to him was a wiry woman whose hair seemed to be almost lithe with some kind of charge. Across from them sat Sammi, who held a partly eaten cake in her hand and seemed to be on the verge of tears.

The quiet serene moment of introspection was broken by an almost literal roar from Olsen. The large man physically stomped over to the elfin man, sending sand scattering and ruining the patterns of waves that had been raked into them. Hunter entered surreptitiously at this point and the door closed behind him just in time before the large man began to yell. To Sammi a third Changeling, a Beastkin with obvious ursine traits and a terrifying expression stomped over towards them. She physically recoiled from the large man but it seemed his anger was not directed at her. But he was here, Hunter, he'd come right when Sammi needed him! Had the thought not held a particularly terrifying reality for her, she'd have thought of the captain as her knight in shining armour.

"WHAT IS THIS?" Olsen thundered at Brendan, as Dianne sighed and moved out of the way for the huge man. "I go on shift for several hours and I come back to find THIS? What have you been DOING to the poor girl? She's probably no more than a day from their grasp by the looks of her and you are here terrifying her?" Despite the fact he was almost a few inches from Brednan's head and roaring like an engraged, well, bear, Brendan did not flinch or seem obviously fearful for his safety as well.

"You forget yourself Olsen, even if you are close to him in nature-" He said looking at Hunter, for some reason. "-you will not speak of that when we are outside of our own company. As for this..." He said and stood up to look very carefully at Hunter. "I only invited Sammi here to ask her some questions. We have some distant relations in common that I wanted to discuss. The experience has been very trying for Sammi, and despite my efforts to try and calm her she has been traumatised by the entire affair."

For a brief second Brendan glanced at Sammi. There was a lot of meaning conveyed in that split second glance. This is as much to protect you as it is me. Do not argue with my story. Your friend's safety depends on your actions here. He is not our guest.

Then he looked back at Hunter. "I believe you would be Sammi's captain, Hunter? She has spoken well of you. I am glad to see that she is in good care."

Draco Medbay

Penelope waited for a moment, after which MAVOC replied.
pre:
"One of the crewman has a condition that requires a lot of blood be on hand in case of emergency. 
I believe crew-woman Sammi has a universal donor blood type, which is why there is a larger than normal amount of her blood as well. 
Although it would be inappropriate of me to discuss personal medical conditions further with you, my apologies that I cannot be of further assistance in that matter. 
As for how often the blood supply is replenished, I am not aware of it being replenished in an unusually frequent manner."
MAVOC replied in regards to Penelope's query. Then it asked her a question of its own.
pre:
"Is it normal, for humans to look into other peoples refrigerators in this manner?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter Jerant
Read Situation(wits+empathy): 5d10h8 1
Hunter quickly looks at the situation in front of him, it's obvious there's something else going on, but he can't place his finger on what. It's also obvious he's being lied to. Regardless, there's one thing that requires his immediate attention.

He quickly walks over to Sammi while the two men argue, gently grabbing her hand and surreptitiously feeling her pulse. The subtle menace that is in his face is being overwhelmed by actual genuine concern. To Hunter, she's one of his pack even if she doesn't know it, and she's hurt and in danger which is freaking his inner wolf out.
"Sammi, are you okay? I came here as soon as I figured out something was wr..."
He flinches as soon as Brendan addresses him, the concern being replaced with a bit of righteous rage, but it's not directed at her.
"Give me a moment, kiddo, I just have to handle this."

He stands, stepping in front of Sammi as he turns towards Brendan, and glares down at the wretch of a man.
"This is one hell of a family reunion, rear end in a top hat. That's not distress on her face, that's fear. You could have had this meeting in the cafe outside, or literally anywhere else but this double-secured room. I'm not sure what you told Sammi to get her to come here, but it spooked her enough to order the computer not to tell me. Took me 15 minutes of deciphering Lewis Carroll to figure out what was going on. And now that I'm here? Now that I see your little floral interrogation chamber? I'm glad I came."

Something clicks in his brain, "close to him in nature"? He isn't another Uratha, he'd be able to smell it, and it would be downright impolite to hide it. Something is going on here.
Know Name: 5d10h8 4 On Olsen, Spend a willpower to boost that to an Exceptional(meaning I learn all names he might potentially answer to). Unless he believes he has reason to hide his name, he doesn't get to resist the roll.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi

The Beastkin burst into the room, scattering sand and whatever calm tranquility this place had with his fury. Sammi cried out and nearly fell out of her chair. Whatever slight grasp she'd had over her emotions was thrown out of the window with this brand new shock to the system. She began to openly weep, clinging to herself tightly, trying to hold in her escaping sobs. Sammi shut her eyes and begged silently for it to end. She just wanted this nightmare to be over, just wake up and forget it ever happened. Every word, every gesture the bear man made caused her to flinch and curl tighter and tighter into herself, making herself a smaller target.

Then there was warmth, the kind of warmth of someone being close to you. A familiar smell, overpowering the sickly perfume. The gentlest of touches to her hand and wrist, so gentle she didn't even think to resist. Warm breath on her face. She didn't open her eyes and look up until she heard his voice.

"H-Hunt-ter....?" She murmured, looking directly into his eyes for the first time without looking away.

It was him! It really was him! A look of utter concern on his face. She didn't see much else, she threw her arms around his shoulders and buried her face in his chest. Any semblance of holding back the tears lost in his presence. She wasn't alone. The realisation made her cry all the harder. After a time he gently pulled her off of him and Sammi did her best to dry her eyes and compose herself.

"Give me a moment, kiddo, I just have to handle this." He said, placing himself between Herself and Brendan. Launching into a tirade directed at the Fairest. But all the same Sammi saw the threat in Brendan's eyes. His message to her in a single glance. 'Keep you mouth shut or we'll hurt Hunter'. Her eyes, puffy from crying, widened with the implication. Hunter was in danger, she'd lead him right into a lions den. She needed to get him out of here! The gears turned in her brain as her mind raced for a way to get him out of here without giving them reason to attack.

In the end, the only thing she could think to do was to tug on his flight jacket to get his attention. "...I-I w-want to g-go... P-P-Please... L-Let's go h- home..."

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013
Arjuna

Arjuna smiles and doggedly chases down the tangled webs leading through the station, figuring that the subtler strands are either ships or crew that are merely associated with the captain himself.

As he draws closer, and hears the sounds of what is at the very least confrontation, if one is being generous, he breaks out into a run and starts to gather an Imago of flesh to steel, just in case more magic is called for.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Arjuna, how do you get past the security door between the Residential and Public sections of the station? The reason there was a mess of probability lines, is because of all the different options you can take there and all the different results. Just as a reminder, the area you are in also has a lot of people walking around.

Brendan Lee's Garden

Resolve + Wyrd: 6d10o10h8 1
As a side note, using Willpower for Heroic Efforts doesn't add three automatic successes, it just increases your dicepool by 3 extra dice for that roll. It's covered on pg.132 of the core rules. If this has been changed in errata can you link me to it so I can see it.

As a Changeling hiding from the Fae, he wishes to avoid using his True Name. However your roll overcomes his and you learn the name he considers his is "Thomas Falson".

Brendan's face remains with a pleasant smile, although Hunter can definitely tell there is steel behind it. He whispers to Hunter just loud enough for him alone to hear; "Would you run free, shouting to all who you really are? I know what you are, Child of the Moon. No, I do not think so. Our business is private for similar reasons. Only one of us is apparently civil enough to respect others privacy."

Sammi, if you want to listen to this I'd like a Wits + Composure roll with a -1 die penalty.

"Mr. Jerant, I think you will find that there is no excessive security on this room. I merely wished for privacy to discuss private matters with Sammi. I have not been 'interrogating' Sammi as you charmingly put it either. I invited Sammi to join my for afternoon tea to discuss things, which she accepted under no duress I might add. Not once have I threatened or coerced Sammi, there were simply some questions I wished to ask and I have been just as concerned about you as to her distress. You have my Word on these things Mr. Jerant." The slight inflection on his Word clearly indicated the capitalisation of it.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Penelope

Penelope laughed -- it came out more than a little strained. "No, that's generally considered quite rude. It's just that I'm going to be spending enough time here that I wanted to get a good look at the med bay. Call it a nervous habit. I'm not trying to pry into anyone's private medical information. It's just that I sometimes import and trade in blood. It's more like professional curiosity."

No direct falsehoods there, but she wasn't sure how convincing she could be to a machine. She hated talking to AIs -- no body language to read, nothing to focus on. Their emotion detecting software was always either not good enough or too good and therefore impossible to fool, depending on the situation. And this one was unnerving on top of that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hunter
No, that sounds right, like I said before, I'm an oWoD kid and haven't played nWOD in a long time (Unmarks willpower), that said, the fact that he knows that Hunter is a werewolf makes him very suspicious, and I *will* be spending a willpower on this Int+occult roll

Occult: 7d10h8 2 and none of those extra three dice succeeded.. yaaaaay..

He glares at Brendan, and chuckles.

"You know, situations like this are why I hired Cyril, but he isn't here, so I'll have to make do. If you knew anything about me beyond what I am, you would have seen this coming. When we lack a," he pauses, thinking, the inflection on his voice is obvious, "Family, we tend to make our own. Sammi is my crew, she is my family. She's like a little sister to me."

He takes a step forward, eyes full of fury boring straight into his soul.

"You. Made. Her. Cry."

He takes a step back, talking a bit louder.

"Now then, I will give you my word. We are going to leave here, now. Tomorrow we are going to leave the station, unaccosted, and we will not darken your doorstep again. I will do my best to avoid this whole goddamn system if I can. But if you do not, I will separate you from your limbs. And considering the fracas you've brought down upon his house, I doubt your friend Mr Olsen over there will lift a finger to help you."

He smiles wide, pointed canines showing.

"Your call."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
What do you want to know? I don't mind you trying to preempt rolls, just let me know what you want to do with it.

Brendan Lee's Garden

"You might be surprised Mr. Jerant." Brendan says and a quick glance at Olsen shows the man is looking pensive, but there is a wariness to his posture and stance. "At any rate, despite your insistence on thinking that I have done this out of a desire to make Sammi suffer you remain mistaken. I did not plan on detaining Sammi, nor do I plan on detaining you, even if you are not a Guest." There was also a curious capitalisation to the world Guest that could be heard as well. It seemed to have important, just like Brendan's word did before. Then he turned to Sammi and again his voice was a little softer when he spoke.

"Sammi, they cannot protect you if They come for you. You need to find people like you. I know you understand what I mean." Brendan turned back to Hunter and although he still had that steel in him, still unflinching despite Hunter's intimidation he smiled. "Mr. Jerant, as a means of saying thankyou for taking Sammi in let me give you a small token of my gratitude. You will find yourself in a coming storm, but the safest place is at its eye." He said and leaned down to pour himself another cup of tea. Startlingly he seemed to have been almost completely genuine in his comment, and while cryptic the words did not seem like a lie.

Draco Medbay

pre:
"I will inform captain Jerant that his current tour is insufficient for his clients needs and should be updated."
Comes the response from the AI to that comment. Well, that sounded about right for AI...they did sometimes struggle with context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

it was an occult roll to see if I could remember any sort of creature like this, since he doesn't seem to be a ridden, mage, or vampire.

• Locked thread