Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sorry, I just started playing this (Lost Luke in the first hour). What's the difference between vanilla and Breakdown? I started playing with Breakdown and everything seemed uh, normal, what's the difference?

edit: Also you're not supposed to be able to finish every quest, right? Because I try to hurry to save strangers but it's still impossible to help other guys survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Don Tacorleone posted:

Sorry, I just started playing this (Lost Luke in the first hour). What's the difference between vanilla and Breakdown? I started playing with Breakdown and everything seemed uh, normal, what's the difference?

edit: Also you're not supposed to be able to finish every quest, right? Because I try to hurry to save strangers but it's still impossible to help other guys survive.

Breakdown cuts out all of the story components. It also gets harder for each iteration. Basically, your main goal in Breakdown is to find and repair an RV in a location that Lily will give you at some point. After each repair you "leave the area" and go to a new place that is actually the same place, you just start in a random area and the enemies get harder, etc.

And yeah, don't stress about doing everything.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Here's some new Lifeline info in the form of a Q&A:

Undead Sanya posted:

Geoffrey is way too busy to do a design article this week. He's got to get all the features locked down before he's allowed out of his cage again. Fortunately, he and Foge took some time to do this miniature Lifeline Q&A.

Can you play as civilians?

No, in Lifeline you’re a soldier. The civilians are NPCs.

Will the civilians defend themselves or just cower like baby rabbits? Will the scientists you are supposed to save help protect the camp, or just be dead weight?

The scientists you are responsible for evacuating are largely unarmed, with poor physical skills and no gun training. So while they will defend themselves when they're out in the open, they won’t do it well ... and once they're in the base, Geoffrey says it's up to you to keep them safe.

They won't be dead weight for long, though. Periodically, they will be extracted to a safe place, leaving you room in your community to go out and rescue more.

In Lifeline, you answer to a chain of command, and your orders are to rescue important people with the skills that your superiors think might be key to ending the outbreak. As Vienna Cho will remind you, though, there are plenty of other civilians out there who also need your help, and you can choose to rescue them, too, if you decide they're worth your time.

Will fuel become more important?

Why, yes, there are going to be new uses for fuel. We’re not ready to go into details, yet, but we’re planning another design article after we get back from PAX. (Note to any reporters/bloggers/vloggers attending PAX: You should totally make an appointment with us. )

Will guard towers upgrade to manned turrets?

No. There are defenses to invest in at the base (and some new facilities we’ll be unveiling as we get closer to launch), but the guard towers are just a place for soldiers to stand with their weapons.

Will there be any new weapons?

Yes. Not a kajillion of them, but some nice new toys.

Can you manufacture machined suppressors?

No, your field workshop won't be that well-equipped. But as Geoffrey says, “a soldier has other ways to procure advanced equipment when needed.”

Can you still level up stats?

Yes.

Can you explain how the timing works? Is the whole thing timed, or is it just timed on missions where you have to evacuate the civilians? I mean, if I don’t rescue a civilian, can I just wander around for a bit?

Let me just quote Geoffrey rather than fake it: “There is a cycle of building pressure in the city's zombie population. When it reaches a breaking point, the zombies attack your base, and you need to be there to defend your civilians. That is where most of the time pressure comes from.

“Civilians you are asked to rescue also have a limited shelf life out in the wild. You can choose whether and when to rescue them, but they won't survive for long on their own.

"There is not an overall time limit, however. As long as you're staying on top of the periodic orders that come down from HQ, and you aren't getting your people killed, you can stick around for quite some time to explore the outskirts of the city."

So, this is like a tower defense game?

There’s certainly a bit of that feel to it, sure, especially when we’re talking about defense. You need to invest in and plan your defenses, and fend off waves of attackers. But it’s still State of Decay. We think the psychological issues and the simulation systems of State of Decay make the experience awesome, but you’ll have to let us know what you think!

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Alpha build of the Lifeline map can be found in this thread.

Here's a few minutes of gameplay posted by IGN: link.

Some Lifeline commentary by IGN: link.

There is a 17 minute video posted on YouTube (which I can't find at the moment) that has extensive gameplay. The sound quality isn't the best but it sounds like drones are going to be a thing in Lifeline.

There is also a least one new vehicle, a militarized version of the modern pickup.

It seems like the centre of the city is totally infested and cannot be accessed but there are so-called Danger Zones that continually spawn zombies while you're in the area. An easy way to level up/kill off characters.

In the video for which I cannot find the link, an undergound tunnel was shown with wall-to-wall car wrecks & zombies. And a mission spawned down there. Spooky!

Oh, and generators. Generators have been (re)added.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

El Seven posted:

Oh, and generators. Generators have been (re)added.

For someone new to this game, what are generators? Like power generators? Or zombie "generators"?

\/\/ Makes sense, but he said re-added. Was wondering what got removed, and/or why?

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 14, 2014

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gonna go with power generators. Lifeline is sounding like a nice change from default SOD and Breakdown. Tentatively looking forward to dropping a missile on a fatty.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012

meatsaw posted:

For someone new to this game, what are generators? Like power generators? Or zombie "generators"?

\/\/ Makes sense, but he said re-added. Was wondering what got removed, and/or why?
Generators were going to be part of the original game, allowing the player to generate electricity for various projects. Unfortunately, this aspect of the game was cut before we had any details on what the generators could be used for.

Not sure what they will be used for in Lifeline.

In the longer video, the UL guy mentions that there are three types of base defences that can be activated: mines, propane tanks, & explodey fireworks.

The mines in Lifeline seem to be triggered by individual zombies rather than only hordes as in the current game. Propane tanks are the same as the current game, you need to shoot them to make them (and the zombies!) blow up. And the fireworks thing seems to be like the whistling box mine...the fireworks attracts the zombies to the location then after a few seconds a bomb detonates.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Man. Watched a video on the UL facebook page. Looking forward to vehicular storage soooooooooooooooooooo much. Will completely refresh my desire to get back into the game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Mainly I'm looking forward to the new map. Breakdown shook up the original map and made it exciting and tense again (try starting a level 10 game new, with no supplies hoarded from previous maps :stare:), but a new map to explore? Sounds interesting!

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So I got this as a gift and the wiki isn't all that helpful. How exactly does resource gathering work in regard to outposts? It looks like there is a hierarchy (food first and fuel last I'm guessing) it uses in choosing the resource, so is there a point in leaving rucksacks of other resources in there as well? What about multiples of the same type, like a warehouse with 3 boxes of construction materials?

Also does the resource menu show your daily losses minus whatever gains from outposts? I saw a post somewhere saying it actually wasn't, but that seems like the dumbest thing.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Synnr posted:

So I got this as a gift and the wiki isn't all that helpful. How exactly does resource gathering work in regard to outposts? It looks like there is a hierarchy (food first and fuel last I'm guessing) it uses in choosing the resource, so is there a point in leaving rucksacks of other resources in there as well? What about multiples of the same type, like a warehouse with 3 boxes of construction materials?

Also does the resource menu show your daily losses minus whatever gains from outposts? I saw a post somewhere saying it actually wasn't, but that seems like the dumbest thing.

What is stated here was generally correct, at least the last time I played a few months back. In regard to your questions:

An outpost gives you 3 resources (or reduces consumption of that resource by 3, however you want to look at it) on a daily basis.

When multiple resources are in a building you call to turn into an outpost, the building will use, alphabetically, the first resource it finds: ammo > fuel > food > materials > medicine. So if you want a building with two stashes (say, food and medicine) to specifically be a medicine outpost (outposts can only ever give out one resource), you need to remove the food source first by either breaking it down or turning it into a rucksack.

Multiples of the same type don't affect the 3-resource output.

And yes, previously the resource menu was bugged (I think) and not accurately showing the resources being lost/gained correctly.

However!

It looks like the game got patched late last month with this in the notes:

Outposts and Resources

Corrected the daily resource calculations on asset page of journal
Capped the number of resources you can receive on subsequent offline days at 15
New outpost resource model
Each outpost costs 1 material for upkeep for the first day you're offline
All resource outpost types now correctly generate resources
If an outpost contains resources it generates 3 of that resource

I haven't played the game since the patch went in, so they're claiming they fixed the journal stuff and changed the output model (for example, fuel outposts previous to this patch were worthless because they never gave you fuel). So unfortunately I can't give more info...maybe this will give me an excuse to start playing it again...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
And just to be obvious, "Daily" means an in-game day, rather than a Tiny Towers style, IRL day - if you got the patches.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Bruteman posted:

It looks like the game got patched late last month with this in the notes:

I appreciate the response, not sure why that wiki was initially linking me to stub articles. As to the patch notes, I'm not sure how fixed that is. I was sitting at 0, then at -3 ammo at varying times for some reason, but I removed an older outpost from the gun shop by the church and dropped one in the police station in Marshall to clear it out a bit...and now I'm at -15. I guess that makes sense if everyone is always shooting? I have 2 ammo outposts, so I thought it would go down a bit more given that wiki explanation. Little annoying now! I guess I'll just have to remove some construction materials outposts and swap for ammo places, I dunno.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Synnr posted:

I appreciate the response, not sure why that wiki was initially linking me to stub articles. As to the patch notes, I'm not sure how fixed that is. I was sitting at 0, then at -3 ammo at varying times for some reason, but I removed an older outpost from the gun shop by the church and dropped one in the police station in Marshall to clear it out a bit...and now I'm at -15. I guess that makes sense if everyone is always shooting? I have 2 ammo outposts, so I thought it would go down a bit more given that wiki explanation. Little annoying now! I guess I'll just have to remove some construction materials outposts and swap for ammo places, I dunno.

IIRC, AI-controlled survivors do not actually "use" ammo individually - the ammo resource for your base goes down based on the number of survivors currently in your base when the end of the day event is triggered (or if there are projects that you initiate which manually consume it). Not knowing what you were doing in your game, if your ammo was that low, you may have recruited more people than you had ammo resources for, and if so, you need to hoof it yourself to bring more ammo rucksacks back to base, or radio in for survivors to get more - one or two ammo outposts aren't going to replenish you completely.

I know this is one of the things about the game that people always say they have issues with, but I don't think I've ever run out of a resource that wasn't construction materials I was knowingly using to build additions to the base. It's pretty easy in maybe a two-hour play session to top off all of your resources before you quit for the day, and I've never returned to the game the following real-time day to find my base with negative resources. Again, unfortunately, I haven't played it in a while, so maybe something's changed since then.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Bruteman posted:

IIRC, AI-controlled survivors do not actually "use" ammo individually - the ammo resource for your base goes down based on the number of survivors currently in your base when the end of the day event is triggered (or if there are projects that you initiate which manually consume it). Not knowing what you were doing in your game, if your ammo was that low, you may have recruited more people than you had ammo resources for, and if so, you need to hoof it yourself to bring more ammo rucksacks back to base, or radio in for survivors to get more - one or two ammo outposts aren't going to replenish you completely.

I know this is one of the things about the game that people always say they have issues with, but I don't think I've ever run out of a resource that wasn't construction materials I was knowingly using to build additions to the base. It's pretty easy in maybe a two-hour play session to top off all of your resources before you quit for the day, and I've never returned to the game the following real-time day to find my base with negative resources. Again, unfortunately, I haven't played it in a while, so maybe something's changed since then.

Oh no, I understand the ammo resource thing. I had 16 people, so the -15/day doesn't even make sense with the two ammo shops. That and the previous state of 0 or -3 was really strange as well. Any idea if the radio based "locate resource" thing just generates a new thing to look for, or is it just telling you where stuff already is?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Synnr posted:

Oh no, I understand the ammo resource thing. I had 16 people, so the -15/day doesn't even make sense with the two ammo shops. That and the previous state of 0 or -3 was really strange as well. Any idea if the radio based "locate resource" thing just generates a new thing to look for, or is it just telling you where stuff already is?

I saw it send me to a warehouse I had previously cleaned out once. I had cleaned out most of Spencer's Mill at that point, but hadn't gone into the city much, so I'm sure there were still construction materials somewhere on the map. Maybe it spawns a new thing if there are no existing things within X meters?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

bitcoin bastard posted:

I saw it send me to a warehouse I had previously cleaned out once. I had cleaned out most of Spencer's Mill at that point, but hadn't gone into the city much, so I'm sure there were still construction materials somewhere on the map. Maybe it spawns a new thing if there are no existing things within X meters?

Looking around on some of the forums and the wiki, there appears to be conflicting info on whether it's spawning something new or just pinpointing something that's already there - one source says even if you make the call and Lily tells you where to look, there's a chance that nothing will spawn. But some people think that's a bug. I've never used it so I can't say for sure.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Synnr posted:

Doesn't every stripped outpost now generate 1 ammo/day, once you remove all their other resources? I never really had ammo trouble though because I happily abused the Scavenger call-in glitch to dupe as many ammo and construction packs as I could to save time. Helps a lot for getting new survivors to be friendly enough to become playable too.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I uninstalled the rucksack mod because it felt like cheating. I managed to beat Breakdown 7 on a fresh start last night, completely vanilla game, no bug abuse. On lower Breakdown levels, the backpack mod is just a convenience, but on the higher levels, every time you leave your base/outpost safety bubble, you might not be coming back. Being able to load up a poo poo ton of supplies makes it way easier.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Well I guess all my questions about resources didn't matter, since apparently I was like an hour out from finishing the game anyway. I'm a little disappointed in the length and breadth of the game compared to what I recall reading last year. My food preservation timer didn't even run down!

Also the radio call appears to place rucksacks by the way, it showed up in a few empty houses I cleared out after my move to the warehouse.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, the game's less about beating the plot, and more about running around managing your safehouse and survivors over an extended duration. You can beat the story start to finish in a couple hours without too much trouble, I'd imagine.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The main story mode really feels like an extended tutorial from start to end - the Breakdown DLC is a lot more fun, I thought. In fact, I had put so much time into Breakdown before playing the story mode that I blew through it without moving the base from the church (well, almost - moved to Snyders for the last hour or two) since I knew where everything was.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I think I'll likely try out breakdown when I get back from the hospital, is it literally just restarting repeatedly and surviving x number of zombies/collect resources until you can find an RV to run away with?

I was reading up on older articles about the game and it made me even sadder for what I forgot was mentioned. I was really hoping I could shoot those stupid hillbilly motherfuckers at some point when they turned against my people, but they just stopped doing anything after they murdered some random folks. Or get into a feud with the survivors I couldn't take in due to resource constraint. Or something! I don't think I ever even did enough shooting to level it up on anyone, just used wrasslin moves on zombies.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Synnr posted:

I think I'll likely try out breakdown when I get back from the hospital, is it literally just restarting repeatedly and surviving x number of zombies/collect resources until you can find an RV to run away with?

Well, it gets harder with each level, so the sort of stuff you can pull in the story mode (one super guy running around fighting everything) will get you killed. You need to start using more stealth/distraction and less fighting, which makes things a little more tense. It can also take a while to get the RV running, so the repetition isn't anything out of the ordinary.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Synnr posted:

I was reading up on older articles about the game and it made me even sadder for what I forgot was mentioned. I was really hoping I could shoot those stupid hillbilly motherfuckers at some point when they turned against my people, but they just stopped doing anything after they murdered some random folks. Or get into a feud with the survivors I couldn't take in due to resource constraint. Or something! I don't think I ever even did enough shooting to level it up on anyone, just used wrasslin moves on zombies.

Yes. This is a game for gameplay, not story. The campaign doesn't even make any sense and Breakdown gives you a challenge to drive you to keep playing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also don't try to loot every single house in Breakdown. I learned this the hard way through many restarts on Breakdown 1 because things weren't going perfect. I picked this back up again after 3 months a few days ago, and I decided to play the game instead of loot every single building on the map. Much more fun that way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've started the game again recently, and my initial guy had Pack a Day. Anyone know how bad the XP penalty on that is? Because I don't think I've seen that guy's cardio go up by even a little bit, even through I earned Bad rear end with him so I know I've used him for several hours.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Cardio is a huge pain to level even without penalties. I'm pretty sure it's based off amount of time you spend sprinting so if you hardly ever sprint because you have poo poo cardio and when you do it barely counts because there's an XP penalty, you just get used to not sprinting.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It might be cheap, but you can kill 5 ferals using cars to get The Fighter, who starts with maxed Cardio (and Fighting and Fitness Guru). Pretty much my go-to starting hero now.

E: I've never gotten a character above 5 cardio without intentionally cheesing it, which you can do by running around in circles chowing down snacks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lotish posted:

I've started the game again recently, and my initial guy had Pack a Day. Anyone know how bad the XP penalty on that is? Because I don't think I've seen that guy's cardio go up by even a little bit, even through I earned Bad rear end with him so I know I've used him for several hours.

I think all the malus traits are -50% XP.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't know if Pack a Day is bugged or what, but I just ran that character around with 20 snacks and the meter didn't budge a pixel. The penalty must be near total.

edit: I was amused to learn during this exercise that if a Juggernaut gets into camp, Lily will run out to meet it, and if it tries to pull her in half, she'll laugh it off and keep fighting.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 18, 2014

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Wasn't an issue I actually thought about in the story mode, but can one person fill two facility slots that require a trait? Like I had a guy who was my chef and on guard duty, but no one ever seems to get into the tower at snyders and shoot anyway. I'm pruning my list of survivors for the RV and I have a couple of people doubled up on construction + X trait (all assholes though, apparently) that would ease those slots up. Blew up some useless alcoholic coward smoker woman for the sacrifice award already, but jeez all these scrubs with one useful friend I needed to recruit are packing into my warehouse

You carry all your stash stuff forward, right? So I can just stick a couple high value items in my inventory to jumpstart influence levels on the next level? Do the heroes you unlock show up as well, or ...are you supposed to unlock them every level?

Also, large backpacks? Are they just much rarer in breakdown or something? I have a dozen smalls, and more that I never picked up floating around in houses, but only two large ones. My two powerhouse runners I am going to stuff full of meth and morphine for the next level start got them, but my backup "Jacob has -60% vitality and stamina, needs to rest" guys could use a couple as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lotish posted:

I don't know if Pack a Day is bugged or what, but I just ran that character around with 20 snacks and the meter didn't budge a pixel. The penalty must be near total.

edit: I was amused to learn during this exercise that if a Juggernaut gets into camp, Lily will run out to meet it, and if it tries to pull her in half, she'll laugh it off and keep fighting.
Are you running mods or something? It's slow but not THAT slow.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Are you running mods or something? It's slow but not THAT slow.

Nope. Playing on 360.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Weird, I've definitely leveled a few smoker characters to 7 in fitness, but usually I just take them on a Grandpa Simpson walk.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, he hit max wits pretty quick, so he's got ninja and can sneak faster than he can jog. He's still one of my best characters despite being apparently unable to improve his cardio at all for whatever reason.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Odd. It takes a day or so in-game of running around on foot doing stuff but I tend to get a star a day at least, and it you maxxed Wits on him you've obviously been playing him for several hours minimum. Why didn't you recruit more survivors and use one that doesn't have a bonus to Suck? Are you playing a themed Breakdown run or something? Is he one of those soldiers so you wanted the shooting bonus? :(

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

He was my initial survivor when I started Breakdown, so he's basically my protagonist.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Synnr posted:

Wasn't an issue I actually thought about in the story mode, but can one person fill two facility slots that require a trait?

No, I think the game can only assign them to one facility at a time.

quote:

You carry all your stash stuff forward, right? So I can just stick a couple high value items in my inventory to jumpstart influence levels on the next level? Do the heroes you unlock show up as well, or ...are you supposed to unlock them every level?

Yes and yes (and is a recommended strategy) to the stash questions.

How the hero unlocks works as follows: in the current game where you satisfy the unlock requirement, you will shortly thereafter receive a "someone wants to join our group" call from Lily, and if you head there, it's that hero. In all games after you unlocked that hero, they will randomly spawn like other potential survivors.

quote:

Also, large backpacks? Are they just much rarer in breakdown or something? I have a dozen smalls, and more that I never picked up floating around in houses, but only two large ones. My two powerhouse runners I am going to stuff full of meth and morphine for the next level start got them, but my backup "Jacob has -60% vitality and stamina, needs to rest" guys could use a couple as well.

Don't think there's anything concrete, but yes, in my Breakdown experience, they become harder to find as you progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Synnr posted:

They get rarer. It's probably worth taking a day trip up to the mountains, I've never not found at least one in the tents and they are mad useful.

• Locked thread