Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world
How far into the game can you start to do your own thing and ignore missions? I'm at the part where you first get to the church and you have to go get medicine for your sick friend. I can't do safehouse upgrades or anything yet. Great game for $20 so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You can do safehouse upgrades now, they're just poorly explained and you need materials to do them.

Can I start ignoring the story though? It seems like the mission they gave me is important to the story.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I ignored it for a long time without consequence but I can't say for sure that it has no consequence for ignoring it. You shouldn't need to feel rushed though.

Okay cool thanks. How long are the nights in this game in real time? I was surprised by how long it was dusk at the start of the game.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Eponymous posted:

This might be a dumb question, but is there some way to bring along NPCs with you while you're exploring the world? I kind of feel like the game is asking too much of me, and it'd make more sense if I was supposed to have to other guys helping to drop zombies.

I was wondering this too

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

What do you guys think the best place to relocate your base to, the warehouse in Marshall? Is it even worth switching bases? I'm dreading collecting 50+ resources to relocate and rebuild all the add-ons I have at the Church.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

If you choose the Snyder warehouse and surround the base with outposts on every side, is it necessary to upgrade the watchtower? Aside from the shooting bonus for the camp, is the watchtower needed for defense? So far it seems like no zombies can even get close to the warehouse.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Does the workshop actually repair weapons or does it need to be patched? If it does repair, does it repair items in your stash or items in your backpack?

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

At Snyder warehouse I have built sleeping area, medical area, cooking area, and training area. Should I use the last slot on garden, library or dining area? I'm leaning more between garden and library but it seems like food isn't really an issue right now. I'm also not really sure how important the library or dining area is.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I built a library but it doesn't seem that useful. It just lets you get more upgrades for your level 2 workplaces. I might destroy the library and build another workshop since the one in the warehouse can't be upgraded. I would then make it a munitions workshop. I can't really find any info online about munitions workshop though. Does anyone know what it does?

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Danger Doug posted:

I honestly expected gas to be the new gold standard, and there to be no real chance of starting a car unless you had someone with some skill that is tangible to car theft. Cars are kind of an I win button.

Yea I haven't even been close to death once in this game because of how powerful cars are. I always have my car close by when I'm on foot.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I guess its a simple thing when you think about it but has any zombie game ever done what this game has done with death being so meaningful? The combination of permadeath and having multiple playable characters is really perfect. Its the missing piece in so many zombie games(every one of them until now actually), I doubt I'll ever be able to go back and play another one. Especially Dead Island, this game really makes those look like poo poo especially when you compare the price tag. Riptide is probably my dumbest, most regretted purchase this year.

But the point is I'm actually SCARED again! Marcus and Maya have both had several brushes with death, one time Maya was picked up by the neck and bitten by a fatso zombie, leaving her with just a sliver of health. I was just able to leap through a nearby window as the fatty tried to get in the deathblow and I sprinted to my car as fast as I could. So tense.

The most intense thing I've encountered so far happened to me this afternoon. I was looting the Police Station in Marshall so I could make it an outpost when a Horde starting passing by downstairs. The music got so intense (only time I've heard music in game I think.) The horde passed but I actually was nervous for once. One or two stray zombies heard me searching and jumped me upstairs.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Maya went missing in my game for over a day now but no quest has popped up to go find her. Does a quest always appear? She is my second best character so I really don't want her to die.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Croccers posted:

I'm wondering about that. Does it spawn the item or does it just mark somewhere that had it?

I'm pretty sure it actually spawns the item. If I remember correctly I've gone to the same location twice.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Nah, it points you to where an existing resource is. AFAIK all resources are finite (save for food and fuel, if you've the right facilities and a small group). I shut my first game down as I was a day away from having 0 ammo caches and using the radio to scope out more didn't work, because I had scrounged up everything in the first two towns and the abundant ammo resources in the third town were shut to me.

Ah this must be why nothing was popping up on my map while I was still at the Church after a while. I thought it was a glitch. The girl would come over the radio and say she located supplies and nothing would pop up.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Tension is great and all, but is there at least a way to just stop the game? Because sometimes poo poo happens and you can't just keep running from zombies for the next ten minutes. (I ask as someone who doesn't own a 360, in anticipation of the PC version)

yea you can pause the game by hitting start

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, as they said you can still pause the game. What it does though is cause you to constantly be thinking to yourself, "Am I safe here? Is that a zombie I hear? How close is that zombie, do I have a few seconds to look at my map and get my bearings?" Its a good feeling to finally be back at your home base where you can peruse the inventory and all the survivors status' without worrying about poo poo.

Yea I feel like at least for me, that feeling disappeared pretty early on once I started leveling my character and I realized how easy it is to not die. Also just driving cars everywhere.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I prefer edged weapons myself

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Does anyone have a munitions workshop? What does it do?

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Mountain Lightning posted:

So I've got twenty or so survivors (no deaths so far) and I'm doing Jacob's relocation mission.

Which base should I relocate to? The farmhouse, tavern, and trucking company all look good. What are the pros and cons of them?

Most people here agree Snyder's warehouse is the best. You can set up outposts surrounding the base making it basically immune to hordes. It allows you to set up 8 outposts and I think it has the most building slots. It comes with a car repair workshop and a sleeping area. It is surrounded by sites that have building material resources too. The only con is that it is prone to attack when you are first setting up.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

One thing I just noticed is that if you spend 1 fuel barrel to increase trap radius around an outpost, it will increase the radius for every outpost you have.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

After wasting a lot of materials I have discovered that upgrading to munitions shop allows you to make explosives and incendiaries. It requires a chemistry expert. I was hoping it would allow you to make bullets.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

My Maya went missing for 3 days real time and I finally get the quest to rescue her today. I drive her back to base, she rests in the medical tent, and 5 minutes later she is missing again.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Lotish posted:

A cooldown on missing persons would be great.

Yea that's for sure. It sucks because Maya is my #2 but I have been playing a little recklessly by almost always using Marcus the whole time.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

This is starting to get stupid. I rescue Maya again but its one of those defend the house while zombies pour in rescues. I get knocked down and have to revive myself for the first time. I make it back to camp and switch to Ed because both Maya and Marcus are injured. 5 minutes later Marcus is now missing...

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Korlac posted:

That's what I'm talking about, I could never get to main storyline missions because ultimately I ended up running around saving all my dumb survivors who decide to take a stroll outside of the home base constantly.

Yea I wouldn't even bother looking for them at this point if it wasn't my main character and my 2nd main character who were constantly going missing.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

El Seven posted:

Sales figures and new mode announced here.

Updates to the updates here.

I'm glad they plan on making a survival mode. They must be making resources limitless for that to work though.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I could see them adding the ability to loot zombie bodies for items like medicine, ammo, food, and guns. I'm kinda surprised they didn't go down that route to begin with. It would be annoying to loot every body, but they would have to make it instant like in Red Dead Revolver instead of like how it is currently in this game when you loot anything.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

thehumandignity posted:

I don't know if this has hit the thread yet but the lead designer apparently said the PC version was developed alongside the XBLA version and that they just need to integrate Steam for the PC release. :pcgaming:

I read earlier today that they said they still needed to program mouse and keyboard controls.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

I'm having food issues at Snyders. Which should I replace with a garden?: Dojo (have Dojo master) library, or kitchen. I just got a thing at the library that lets other clans use it for 2 ammo. I'm thinking maybe the Dojo though.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Probably Dojo, since Fighting is easy to level up quickly, anyway.

That is what I was thinking too but I wasn't sure how much of an impact losing +10 Stamina will be

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

sdr782 posted:

What causes survivors to go missing? All the sudden Marcus and two other survivors are missing and there are no missions to rescue them. These characters went missing in the span of about 1 hour of playtime. Morale is maximum so I don't think they ran away.

Too many infestations bug causes my survivors to go missing.

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

Korlac posted:

So the courthouse fell (as many already mentioned) and I didn't make it in time to save the judge or the sheriff

This mission popped up yesterday while I was driving towards the court house. I was by the intersection that connects to that side street with the nice houses, and I still didn't make it there fast enough to save them. It probably took me only 8-10 seconds to get there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kymera
Sep 6, 2006

UberJumper posted:

Is there anywhere i can get backpacks reliably?

I just moved to Snyder truck's and i still only have a single large backpack.

*EDIT* Just found a sword :black101:

There is a camping location just outside Marshall along the river. It is across the river near the center of the town. It is down the hill from a large housing compound. I found a large backpack there and a rifle.

• Locked thread