Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Stream is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So got, what, something around two minutes gameplay if you add all the broken up footage? Not much of a live stream. :rolleyes:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

IGN is doing a 15 minute Let's Play everyday for State of Decay until the game comes out.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/30/another-day-in-the-zombie-apocalypse-ign-plays-state-of-decay-episode-1

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

They aren't really comparable, State of Decay is an open world third-person survival/action game while Dead State is a turn based RPG.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Any clue if it becomes available at 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It's up for DL. :dance:

Edit: Now it's gone. :smith:

Edit2: Now it up again. :dance:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 5, 2013

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I feel like this game doesn't give the right impression how essential killing hordes and trailing their point of origin is to the player and his/her community's survival. It goes without saying that they can easily overwhelm and kill a character if they get corned by one, but if you ignore them they can create infestations, which in turn causes more loner, special, and hordes of zombies to appear in an area. Finally, hordes can scare your NPCs into hiding which causes them to become 'missing' which mean there's a chance they can be they'll never be found again or even killed; I lost a game this way, half my community ended MIA and then my home base was swarmed by three different hordes. Everyone died fighting and screaming. :smith:

Outpost aren't needed, they're a loving requirement for survival.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Interstellar Owl posted:

I just hop in a car and take out the Horde with said car...

I used up all the cars in Miller doing that, they just kept coming. :cry:

Interstellar Owl posted:

...how do you track their origin point?

Hordes will follow roads and pathways, so finding the infestation they originated from is just a matter of driving/walking down the road they came from and keeping an eye out any building that might have a load of zombies. Also, surveying reveals infestations.

GimpInBlack posted:

I believe traps will destroy hordes that wander past the outpost. I'm not sure if they do anything to individual zombies.

Any horde that step in an outpost's safe zone with an active trap will be killed, unfortunately traps take a while to reset once they're triggered. Loner zombies tend to avoid outposts from my observation.

NESguerilla posted:

Yes seriously, what the gently caress? I came here to post the exact same thing. They must take 20 shots and they just kill you if you try to melee them. That abandoned mansion mission is feeling like the final nail in the coffin for me on this game.

Turbo button + B causes your character to roll dodge, which is essential for avoiding his attacks. If you have someone with you, just whack him from behind when he attacks them until he's dead, if you're by yourself, look for anything that could explode like propane tanks, whiskey barrels, or cars that are on fire and shoot them when he's near them. If you don't have anything explosive on hand, get him to ram into a wall a couple of times when he does his charge attacks, he'll eventually become stunned for a few seconds which gives you enough time to either shoot him in the head (takes about 5 o 6 shots from a descent gun) or whack him a few times. Just repeat as many times as necessary.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 7, 2013

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone been able to figure out what specialties SMGs fall under? Is it pistol or assault rifles? :psyduck:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Even if Ed survives becoming ill, the only thing holding that man together is his red hat, the hope meeting the 'bait shop lady' again, and indefinite wealth of his knowledge on TV trivia.

Edit: The drunk skill tree for alcoholic characters is the best. :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

404notfound posted:

God drat, why are my survivors constantly going missing? It seems like as soon as I get a mission to find one missing survivor, another one fucks off on his own. Stick together, you jerks :argh:

Check your notes, usually lists a reason why someone went missing, otherwise...

Dr.Oblivious posted:

...hordes can scare your NPCs (who are scavaging) into hiding which causes them to become 'missing' which mean there's a chance they'll never be found again or even killed!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

If you're having trouble with ammunition, just put an outpost on a building that has a stockpile of it (DON'T TAKE ANY OF IT!). Every IRL day (until the patch) outpost sent resource to your home based on the resources it's sitting on, they also have a chance of spawning loot events for you; just recently my outpost at a pharmacy deposited something around 20 varies painkillers into my loot locker. The game says it does this until the resources are used up, but it's been three day my outposts are still sending me stuff.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 9, 2013

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So I didn't notice this before but all the types of weapons have different aim assist for getting headshots on zombies. Assault rifles and shotguns won't snap at all, while revolvers and rifle have a very small snap zone however they can snap from med to long range, and pistols have a huge snap zone but it only snaps at short range.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

If you guys are having trouble killing Ferals, they're real easy to knock down, when they're charging at you and about to pounce all you have to do is press turbo + A to do a flying double kick. If you do it just right as he's tries to pounce on you you'll send him flying, and if you're quick enough you'll be able to bash his brains before he get's up.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ZachRyker posted:

Do we have any idea how long it'll even take for a patch?

It could be a few days or a few weeks. I remember Brink had a day one patch that was ESSIENTIAL to play the game, it toke a solid month to get certificated by Microsoft.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I've been experimenting a bit with leaving resources untouched to facilitate respawns of a building, and am wondering if anyone has calculated what the actual in-game effects of calling in a scavenger are - do they fill up an inventory based on their at-that-moment loadout space, do they get a magic bag of holding and strip every item in the vicinity?

They grab one resource and any extra loot they have space in their inventory.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah. There's the Nagant revolver, which can be suppressed fairly well, but it's just a terrible piece of poo poo that nobody likes. :v:

I might just bite the bullet and get this tonight, I could use something different for a change.

You'll get a kick out of it, Beeb. There are like 20 different lever-actions and shotguns alone in this game. :dance:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

homeless snail posted:

They're sending TU2 to cert next week, another $40k down the drain :v:

You would think a Microsoft published game would be excepted from the whole patch fine and certification thing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Not to be annoying, but when can we expect your mod to be compatible with the latest patch, Archonex?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Archonex posted:

If you install the test version be sure to tell me if the number of infestations and hordes is above normal for breakdown level 1. Given that I had five hordes beelining to my home base five minutes after I joined an enclave I suspect so. However I had to cut testing short for the night since it's getting extremely late here. It's probable that there's a few variables that handle horde spawning, so if the cap increase doesn't handle the issue of hordes being more common i'll need to track them down.

I've had something like 5-7 different hordes head straight for my home base within a couple of minutes of establishing one on level 1, I've also had what I would describe as a 'super horde' of twenty some odd zombies appear out of nowhere after I attack a single isolated zombie at night; said super horde was made up of mostly normal zombies and several bloaters and screamers which in turn attracted even more zombies. :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I've literally had 5 or 6 zombies spawn out of nowhere during fights at night that involved unsilenced gun fire, driving my car around, or turning on my flashlight.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Out of curiosity, how limited are you to making changes to in-game modules and/or placement of said modules? You also mentioned earlier something about being able to turn any home into a potential homestead if you wanted, can you elaborate on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Or you could just spec your powerhouse with a heavy weapon, get the sweep ability, and just break the legs off of everything in a single 90 degree attack. :v:

VVVVV yeah but it cost nothing for a powerhouse to do it so he can do it over and over and over and over, etc until everything is dead.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread