Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just heard about this game this weekend and it has instantly shot up to the top of my must play list. Its kind of crazy how nobody else has ever made a zombie survival game with a focus on surviving instead of just killing zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the way you "buy" things in the game. Instead of using money you have influence, as in your fellow survivors think well enough of you that they let you use supplies as you see fit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The character dying in that IGN video and getting literally torn in half was pretty brutal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I ended up playing for a couple of hours and then starting over because I somehow screwed up my game. First I ended up killing Maya and then instead of respawning as Marcus I came back as some random dude and Marcus was no longer on my survivor list.

Weird question, are any missions time based?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Also, has anyone figured out how to get other survivor groups to join you? There are three separate survivor groups that I know of, and they all trust me and like me, but I can't figure out how to invite them to my headquarters. I've lost a few people and we're short-staffed now - plus I want to move to a new home, and the site I'm eyeing will require even more people to secure.

This may sound like a stupid suggestion but have you tried talking to them? I got a group of survivors to join by talking to one of their members who gave me three options; join, refuse or put off til later.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zarron posted:

One problem I have in this game is that it doesn't really explain anything to you but the basics. I have a advice hint that says build a sleeping area but nothing else on how to do it.

Bring up your journal, tab over to the base section and then select one of the empty spots and hit the A button. You'll probably need to make a material supply run as they do not start you off with enough when they ask you to do it.

Edit: One thing the IGN videos were wrong about is that you don't need to hold down the B button to sneak. You just have to hold it down long enough to fully commit to the crouching, then you can let it go and you'll stay down.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 6, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bland posted:

Cars are by far the most effective weapon in the game to be honest, it's almost never not the best option to just run back to your big rear end Zombie Crusher and go hog wild

I thought it was funny how in the vet clinic mission they freak out about cars when they're really the most effective way to travel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SSJ Reeko posted:

Does anyone know if NPCs using guns for base defense use up that ammo? I assume not but I don't know.

Also, when can I move bases? I just got the doc and am interested in some other spots.

I assume the ammo random NPCs use is taken out of the daily allotment. Also the base thing should be coming up pretty soon, wait a little bit and you'll get a new mission about wanting to switch bases.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lotish posted:

I'm worried about Ed. Where's Doc Hanson? Is there supposed to be a scripted event that makes him pop up that I may have missed?

If you saved radio girl's brother you'll eventually get a mission to go to a farmhouse, the Doc is there and he'll show up at the church in a little bit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there any way to kind of team up with another surviver from your base? I have a couple of infestations I need to take out but I'm not that comfortable doing them on my own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the guys who was at the Church when I got there has the attribute of "Scary Santa."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you have a gun equiped the valid ammo will look different on the stash screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

coyo7e posted:

"Savini" house? As in Tom Savini, of shlock gore movie camera work (and later, acting), fame? Nice easter egg for people who know a lot about scary movies! :aaaaa:

There's also a "Kirkman" house after Robert Kirkman, the writer of The Walking Dead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skoots posted:

So both Maya and Marcus have both gone "missing" is there any way to get them back?

You'll hopefully get a mission to go find them. Basically it means that they were out in the world and something happened to make them hunker down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

So is there anything to do with items like the alarm clock or broken toys besides putting them in storage?

They are zombie distractors, you use them and they make noise luring zombies away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to Patrick Klepek at Giantbomb.com State of Decay is just behind Minecraft for fastest selling XBLA game. I believe he said it sold something on the order of over 270k already.

I'm doing pretty good with my current playthrough, we've moved over to Snyder (get it?) Warehouse down south and are set up fairly well. The only person who has died so far is the Pastor and he bit it from that Black Flu poo poo. Also if you take Edged specialization you become a loving monster with a sword. Marcus can cut through hordes like butter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems like there's a mix of set and randomized, considering there's an Achievement for doing something with Becca and Quentin from The Grange. Also, what is up with that spot? It just seems to be constantly swarmed with zombies whenever I go there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I think is pretty cool is how a lot of times you can tell what you're going to scavenge by what you're looking in. Like how you're not going to find ammo or building materials in a fridge. There are some exceptions but it does make looking for specific items a little easier.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of mercy killing, I did the one in the farmhouse and instead of using a gun (I was out of ammo) I ended up drop kicking the guy to death.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VarXX posted:

So, how am I supposed to complete the distraction missions or is my game so bugged I can't complete anything at this point. I really like this game but drat I wish it worked.

You do them by going to the place marked and throw firecrackers, a doll or kitchen timer. I assume you could also do something like shooting a gun or breaking a window, anything that causes a lot of noise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skoots posted:

Dose the dinning thing work it says it reduces discord within the group

It really doesn't seem like it. I'm thinking of scrapping it in favor of a library or something.

I actually had a lot of issues with a cop who joined from the Courthouse enclave where he constantly started fights with people. So I decided to use him to farm an achievement. I took him out armed with a couple of weapons and a grenade and fought until he went down, if you don't hit the A button and your health runs completely out you get the option to pull the pin on the grenade and just drop it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The game has been out for less than a week. I'm sure they're working on bug fixes.

Tyskil posted:

So does everyone get a eulogy when they die? I know Ed does since he had the poor luck of running unarmed right into a feral, and I know Maya does because in my bugged first play through I accidentally fell her off of the radio tower into a group of zombies, but does every survivor? I haven't really felt like it'd be a great idea to just get a few people killed just to test it out.

She says stuff but I think it only gets specific for set characters like Maya, Marcus and Ed. I got a random guy killed and Lilly just gave a generic speech about people dying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even the Snyder one doesn't have space for absolutely everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there any way to keep the Judge and Sheriff alive? They both died in my game.

Also, man, scavenging in houses is loving hard. There's just so much to go through and its so dangerous to get through.

• Locked thread