Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy loving hell this game needs to explain itself a little better. Just menus and menus and nothing works like it seems it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Bring up your journal, tab over to the base section and then select one of the empty spots and hit the A button. You'll probably need to make a material supply run as they do not start you off with enough when they ask you to do it.

Edit: One thing the IGN videos were wrong about is that you don't need to hold down the B button to sneak. You just have to hold it down long enough to fully commit to the crouching, then you can let it go and you'll stay down.

I had trouble with the same thing but it was just because the menus are so bloated and confusing. I was trying to build sleeping quarters in the preachers room or whatever, but the sleeping quarters they wanted me to build are in a different area of the menu.

I think the thing that annoys me so much about the menus is there is little to no feedback. I don't know if I can even click on stuff half the time until it does nothing when I try, and half the time I click on things I don't even know if it's doing anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ZachRyker posted:

How DO you deal with the Big Dudes, anyway? Takes WAY too much ammo to put them down with guns, and getting into melee with them Ends Badly. Got both Marcus and Maya torn in half trying to get through that Wilkinson barricade mission, with Ed getting shot by Alan and the mission becoming unavaliable after Maya got offed.

Yes seriously, what the gently caress? I came here to post the exact same thing. They must take 20 shots and they just kill you if you try to melee them. That abandoned mansion mission is feeling like the final nail in the coffin for me on this game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What dictates which survivors are playable. As far as I know all I have is Marcus since Maya got ripped in half. I would have figured I would have run into at least one more playable character by now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last Emperor posted:

All of them are playable if you raise their trust in you.

I've found if you get a group to join you though there'll always be at least one that is playable.

Oh, is it possible to opt to do activities with someone or bring them with you, or are you pretty much at the whim of whatever mission they are involved with by default. I haven't really found way to interact with people beyond saying hi unless the mission dictates it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have been vocally critical of this game, but I have to say it's won me over at this point. It really is goddamn fun to play and has a pretty awesome sense of exploration and danger despite it's flaws.

I am still having a lot of trouble with the objectives and the mission system though. It's just obnoxious and stressful getting constantly loving hammered with objectives I can't even figure out how to activate every time I decide to go off on my own for 5 minutes. Like, I still can't figure out what this game wants from me at all. There are always problems I don't know how to fix (people are mad at each other, infestations etc.). I still don't even know how to activate side missions because clicking on them in the menu seems to do nothing. It's very frustrating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do they show up on the map if it isn't a main story mission? Also, I never know which ones are time sensitive. There are always missions in that gigantic backlog of stuff to do, but I can't figure out how to activate them. Clicking on them in the mission log does nothing and there is nothing telling me if I have failed a mission or not.

thebardyspoon posted:

They're activated when you find out about them basically though, you can do them or not do them at that point. Story missions never time out but regular ones will eventually. Seems like side missions get you in touch with new survivor groups which can get you new members or supplies or if they're at your base then they'll help you keep morale up or keep people from leaving.

Just caught this after I posted. So is it safe to assume I failed a secondary mission if I didn't do it right away?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Soulex posted:

Downloading this now. How disappointed or happy am I goon to be that I spent 20 bucks on this?

Equal parts disappointed and happy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For some weird reason this game makes my Xbox run 3 times louder than normal. I'm scared its going to explode.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy or are construction resources insanely rare? Every rucksack I find seems to be food.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you create an outpost? I took the gun shop at the beginning of the game and totally forgot after that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did any of the updates add gameplay stuff or is all pretty much bug fixes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pc dudes, I wouldn't worry too hard about it because it's kind of a dull game after a few hours and you have Day Z to play.

SOD has good intentions and and some cool ideas, but none of them work that well and it's pretty boring after you get over the novelty. The whole game feels pretty half baked.

• Locked thread