Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Aliginge posted:

Artyom had a voice in the last game, it was just in the loading screens rather than in-game :s

[Stuff about BAD ENDING]
See, this was my problem with the game. First, I wasn't even aware that there was necessarily going to be an arbitrary "morality"-based ending while playing it which isn't necessarily a problem in itself. I mean, I did all those "give money to the poor"/"spare [X] person" type deals when they came up, but when it comes to people shooting the gently caress out of me with autoaim through walls/darkness because I maybe made a little noise, I really had no choice but to fire back to take them out in order to proceed. Plus, somehow enemies always knew when I killed someone even when it should have been a stealthy kill. It also not like Dishonored/DE where you could easily just knock people out either. If people were more aware of that and stealth was better done, then I'm sure the good ending would have been the most common.

The atmosphere, design (immersion-based interface & ranger-mode type stuff), setting, story and NPCs were fantastic. But for what it's worth, I felt the general idea of the game was far more interesting than actually playing the game if that makes any sense. Human AI was absolutely frustrating and lovely to play against, stealth was really poorly done, and general mechanics of weapons were poor enough that it made it quite a slog to get through it. Hopefully M:LL really remediates some of those problems.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I also saw that revolving shotgun in the video, shame because I despise it with all of my being. Nothing worse than being in close quarters and having to faff around with this shotgun that always reloads leaving one or two gaps on the cylinder so reloads are frequent, inconvenient and never complete.

But then I got the belt-fed shotgun and all my worries were over :>

As for the rest of the weapons I hope they are smarter with what they allow to be silenced or stealthy weapons, once you got the later silenced assault rifle you were basically set. Never used my elongated silenced scoped revolver carbine ever again :I

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 28, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
From what's been discussed in the various videos to date, it appears that once you've been detected, breaking line of sight for a sufficient period of time will cause the guards to switch from active engagement to sweep and clear.

And yeah, the Uboinik shotgun was hilarious. You think you're loaded to bear, but oops, you left one of the cylinders empty during your last reload... just give me a second while I heft this gun and manually chamber the next round and would you mind not munching on my face for just a moment longer? Fortunately, M:LL also includes the Saiga shotgun, which is a proper semi-auto shotgun with a decent sized magazine.

As for attachments, it appears that most any weapon can accept most any attachment.. you can even silence the Duplet (or hell, you can go the other direction and slap four barrels on the thing).

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I pre-ordered for the PC and am looking forward to this game. After playing all the Stalkers I found I like the style of these Russian-oriented FPS games, though I have not played the first Metro.

How many hours of gameplay do you figure is in M:LL? What I liked a lot about Stalker was all the exploring and side-quests, and I felt like I didn't have to rush through the game.

Based on the recommended spec's I hope my Radeon 5850 can handle it. If not then I'll consider upgrading my card and CPU, as I've been looking for reason anyway to upgrade to a new rig, mainly so I can get an SSD going with Windows 8.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

nnnotime posted:

I pre-ordered for the PC and am looking forward to this game. After playing all the Stalkers I found I like the style of these Russian-oriented FPS games, though I have not played the first Metro.

How many hours of gameplay do you figure is in M:LL? What I liked a lot about Stalker was all the exploring and side-quests, and I felt like I didn't have to rush through the game.

Based on the recommended spec's I hope my Radeon 5850 can handle it. If not then I'll consider upgrading my card and CPU, as I've been looking for reason anyway to upgrade to a new rig, mainly so I can get an SSD going with Windows 8.

I don't quite recall, but it's on the order of 6-8 hours. It's pretty much a linear shooter, although there's a little stealth and upgrading. The main draw is atmosphere, it's not a whole lot like STALKER in terms of gameplay.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aliginge posted:

I also saw that revolving shotgun in the video, shame because I despise it with all of my being. Nothing worse than being in close quarters and having to faff around with this shotgun that always reloads leaving one or two gaps on the cylinder so reloads are frequent, inconvenient and never complete.

I never figured out how the hell that thing was even supposed to work. It was so confusing to use. After my first playthrough I realized how fun the pneumatic weapons are to use, which go in the same slot as the baffleshotgun, so I always used a Tihar, Volt Driver or Helsing instead.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Just a heads-up, the 360 version has entered circulation; consequently, spoilers abound on youtube.

Also, information on PC performance may be found here:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Leb posted:

Just a heads-up, the 360 version has entered circulation; consequently, spoilers abound on youtube.

Also, information on PC performance may be found here:

So if I'm reading that article's performance info correctly, as I don't know German, they are using some 3-year old AMD CPU that's equivalent to the Intel i5-750. But they are using a newer graphics card, the Nvidia GTX 670 (not SLI mode).

So if the game runs an average of 48fps at the initial High Quality mode, that is probably twice as fast as my old Radeon 5850 card (and my cpu is an Intel i5-750).

Here's a Tom's Hardware guide performance chart for Metro 2033 at 1080p resolution, but in medium mode, if one wants to compare graphic cards performance with the older Metro game engine. I assume relative performance will be similar with the Last Light engine, though probably a little faster for all cards:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/04-Metro-2033-DirectX-11-B-Performance,2941.html

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I'm psyched for a metro sequel. 2033 imo had one of the most likeable main characters in a game I've ever seen (heard). The tension, stealth and combat were all great. I played on the highest Ranger difficulty which was challenging, but just required very tight skill & tactics... for anyone who hasnt played 2033 I found it very comparable to the greatest shooter of our times, Half-Life.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I loved 2033 like others in the thread, but haven't yet pre-ordered it. I might do so later tonight. Either way excited for it to come out.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
If you pre-order on steam and currently own Metro 2033, I believe you get a 10% discount. So there is that, if that matters, along with Ranger mode.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I believe you can get 25% off on gmg, it's also alot cheaper if you're in one of the regions where steam uses €.

e: It's not a straight discount, you have to go hunt their blog or google for coupons/promotion codes and use them when you check out.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 4, 2013

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You can also get it for free if you buy certian Nvidia cards on Newegg.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Scyron posted:

If you pre-order on steam and currently own Metro 2033, I believe you get a 10% discount. So there is that, if that matters, along with Ranger mode.
I caved this morning. Amped for this game, big time.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Klaus Kinski posted:

I believe you can get 25% off on gmg, it's also alot cheaper if you're in one of the regions where steam uses €.

e: It's not a straight discount, you have to go hunt their blog or google for coupons/promotion codes and use them when you check out.

Added to OP; the code is GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

-Troika- posted:

You can also get it for free if you buy certian Nvidia cards on Newegg.
Thanks for that info. Based on the PC specifications I may need a new video card anyway. Might as well get the card and game at the same time. Let me see which cards qualify...

EDIT: Scratch that: I read some people are having problems with Nvidia 670's and audio for the HDMI output (I run HDMI from the PC to a receiver, and then to a projector: sound has to come from the receiver):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/526949/geforce-600-series/gtx-670-no-hdmi-audio-option/

I'm going to research this a little more before picking up a new Nvidia card.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 4, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm glad to hear that the good ending isn't canonical. The good ending was so dumb.

I also didn't find the book translation too bad. It's meandering at points but it's still pretty good. I remember reading that this was not going to follow Metro 2034 back when it was announced. Is that still the case? I don't actually know the plot of the second book at all. Edit: Nevermind. Missed that line in the OP. Glad to hear it's still an original story.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 4, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Seriously considering pre-ordering this, but I hope this game's hardcore mode has more thought put into it than the one in Metro 2033. Metro 2033 seemed poorly planned out, with most of the game's gas mask filters being available for purchase at the very beginning of the game, followed by a long period where you were operating off of whatever you happened to buy/scrounge. The problem was that "Ranger" mode took away the ability to salvage pretty much any filters you scavenged, so it was trivially easy to run out of air by the time you got to the "Library" level. Apparently Artyom doesn't have the heart to say that he has 30 seconds worth of air left and he's not going to step outside until he can buy or bum an extra filter off of somebody. If you know ahead of time that you need to buy a ridiculous number of filters, you can circumvent the problem, but it's still kind of stupid that the game didn't take this into consideration.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seriously considering pre-ordering this, but I hope this game's hardcore mode has more thought put into it than the one in Metro 2033.

Indeed!

Deep Silver Community Manager posted:

In the case of Metro 2033, Ranger Mode was a paid DLC on Xbox 360 and free for PC. For Metro: Last Light, at some point it was decided to do this again because people liked Ranger Mode.

It takes quite a bit of time to make sure the campaign in Ranger Mode is perfectly balanced and is worth replaying the entire game for on this mode. It's not just "remove the UI and increase bullet damage and that's it." That's where dev time comes in, and where you pay devs to spend time creating such a mode apart from the main game. When THQ decided to fund development of Metro: Last Light and what the sequel would need this second time around, they could've said "Nah we don't need to spend money on that" or "We will but we'll release it later like the first time." It ended up with a "Yes" for Ranger Mode and having it available on the day of release rather than months later.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seriously considering pre-ordering this, but I hope this game's hardcore mode has more thought put into it than the one in Metro 2033. Metro 2033 seemed poorly planned out, with most of the game's gas mask filters being available for purchase at the very beginning of the game, followed by a long period where you were operating off of whatever you happened to buy/scrounge. The problem was that "Ranger" mode took away the ability to salvage pretty much any filters you scavenged, so it was trivially easy to run out of air by the time you got to the "Library" level. Apparently Artyom doesn't have the heart to say that he has 30 seconds worth of air left and he's not going to step outside until he can buy or bum an extra filter off of somebody. If you know ahead of time that you need to buy a ridiculous number of filters, you can circumvent the problem, but it's still kind of stupid that the game didn't take this into consideration.

Are you sure it changed how many filters you received as well? I've never ever had any problems with running out, and I've never bought any. :shrug:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MadBimber posted:

Are you sure it changed how many filters you received as well? I've never ever had any problems with running out, and I've never bought any. :shrug:

Apparently Ranger Hardcore mode changes when you can pick up filters (you have to be low on air) and how much air you get from each "used" filter. Google also seems to suggest that there might have been a bug where the game, over time, didn't tally your total oxygen correctly. All I know is that the two times I played on that difficulty, I had to buy a lot of filters at the beginning of the game just to break even by the time I got to the Library. I'm starting to think something was wrong, because the game didn't usually let me pick up "used" filters regardless of how low I was, and even when I did, it only added ~1 minute to my total oxygen. So the time gained from scavenging for filters was lost on searching for them. Seems weird that it happened both times, though.

EDIT: Also I'm aware of the quirks with damaged masks and running consuming oxygen, so I don't think it had to do with that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There was actually only one place in the whole game where you could buy filters, and I remember hardly being able to pick up any filters even on normal mode, while pretty much all of them only lasted for a really short time once you used up the ones you bought from the store. My memory of normal mode might not be perfect though since I never went back once I tried Ranger.

Here's an interview with the author of the novels (who is also writing the game). It spoils a couple specific details in a few scenes, but nothing major as far as I can tell.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Loved the first game and this looks like it will be good too, but making a hard mode a pre order dlc and paid after that is kind of horse poo poo.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There was actually only one place in the whole game where you could buy filters, and I remember hardly being able to pick up any filters even on normal mode, while pretty much all of them only lasted for a really short time once you used up the ones you bought from the store. My memory of normal mode might not be perfect though since I never went back once I tried Ranger.

Here's an interview with the author of the novels (who is also writing the game). It spoils a couple specific details in a few scenes, but nothing major as far as I can tell.

You could buy filters at every single station with vendors.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, after the spot to buy them you could only pick up Filters when you were under 5 minutes time left on all your filters no matter how much time each individual filter had left. So you had to scramble around with 5 minutes left on the clock occasionally picking up a filter to bring you back close to 5 minutes. I spent a lot of the library using the 30 second grace time where you would only gasp for a bit to save filter to get through that area.

Not to mention the fact that when you die and reload a save any filter time between the checkpoint and the time you died just disappeared so you could lose a couple minutes of filter time if you kept getting killed in a certain area.

There were some problems with the game that is for sure but it was one of the more interesting shooters I've played. And the the whole influenced by the same book/movie as the Stalker games puts it into a really interesting universe.

Sphrin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 9, 2013

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Very hyped for this game. Maybe I should go back and finish my stealth run of 2033.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

hopterque posted:

You could buy filters at every single station with vendors.

There are only two places, and they are at the beginning of the game: Riga and Market. Later vendors sold various gear, but not filters. It is a strange decision, in retrospect.

floor is lava posted:

Very hyped for this game. Maybe I should go back and finish my stealth run of 2033.

I'm doing the same thing, going back through the original game as a refresher for Last Light. Stealth is a temperamental thing in this game, though!

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 9, 2013

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yeah you only needed filters for about two minutes total before you went past the point of no return of never being able to buy filters again. That's why the pro strategy is to breath in toxic air until your character is about to collapse, take one deep breath through the gas mask and quickly take it off again. Luckily though it looks like they've made the filter system less obtuse this time around. From what I've seen each filter gives you five minutes worth of air so you bang on a new filter and set your watch to five minutes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I only ever played the first game on Ranger. I guess that's why I always found the filter mechanic frustrating and stupid. And the last level was bullshit-hard. Everything else was pretty good, though.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
I was very near screwed when I reached the library and literally had to sprint through the first portion of it, dodging those err.. tentacle things, to get my hands on a filter and not die. It was actually a very tense moment. In the end I guess it's drat lucky there was even a filter in there at all and apparently plenty more to go around after that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I think this is the game that is going to get me to upgrade my computer. I want to be able to get the BEST experience of this.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull
I was pleasantly surprised when I got my keys from GMG today and I started preloading.
Dunno why, but I didn't think that this game was out for months yet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh poo poo, I totally thought this game was coming out later in the year.

I still need to play through all of Metro2033 - I'm a little ways into it but I really liked it, I've just gotten distracted by other game releases and whatnot. This might be the catalyst to actually get me to sit down and play it.

I also grabbed the english translation of the book for my Kindle a while back, I'll likely read that before playing the game.
Wikipedia also tells me that there's a shitton of other spin-off books set within the Metro2033 book universe, but next to none of them have been translated into English so far.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can't wait to get lost on the surface, run out of air and frantically kill Nazis with Frankenguns to grab a spare air filter from their dead bodies.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pwnstar posted:

Can't wait to get lost on the surface, run out of air and frantically kill Nazis with Frankenguns to grab a spare air filter from their dead bodies.

I'm most looking forward to killing a flying hellbeast with a ball bearing.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I'm most looking forward to killing a flying hellbeast with a ball bearing.

You won't get the sweet cheevo unless you use the Helsing!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd forgotten how awesome throwing knives are in Metro. I swear they're all tipped with blowfish poison.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I really hope they're as retarded powerful in this game as they are in 2033. You can kill people with one hit anywhere on their body (best place is the lower legs, rarely armor down there) and it's almost always silent.

Shoot a guy in the head with a tihar? AUUUGAUUUUUUUUUAGUHAGHGAUAAAAUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Throwing knife to the leg? *silence*

It's really what makes sneaking even viable.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
They are indeed awesome until you encounter late game enemies like the nazis who wear a shitton of armor that deflect your knives that the best way to kill them silently is by aiming the knife at their kneecaps or arms. I stuck with the AK that I got from Bourbon all the way through the rest of the game due to how accurate that thing is with dirty rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Real men are bastards, real mean use THE bastard from beginning to end. :smug:

• Locked thread